You are Immortal.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I would relax, knowing that my life wouldn't be ticking away anymore.
Then I would educate myself to ridiculous lengths. Probably work myself up to be a boss of a few companies.
Being immortal would stop my need for food, water and sleep.

I'd work on a way of trying to recreate the immortality so that someone else could share the experience with me.

I don't want to be alone for ever...

Katatori-kun:
Start investing.

Seriously, if I'm going to be around forever I can't exactly be getting by on my current, meager salary.

This!! I would hate to have to live forever = working on a small salary forever.

Ah immortality, my dream situation. I could write books forever and when large scale space exploration begins I would bind all of humanity into 1 rather than splintered nations and go conquer the galaxy.

If by immortal you mean `not being able to die, like Captain Jack Harkness for instance, Id just go fighting evil or something. perhaps take a nice swim across the pacific or something. after that, Id probably just go for a walk and take pictures of where Ive been. say, sahara, Russia on barefoot, China, America, London. Stick around where its fun, go away from where its not.

for the people unfamiliar with Captain Jack Harkness, hes a character from the new Doctor Who, whos turned invincible by mistake (the original idea was to bring him back to life, but it was a tad overdone[just a tad])

Become rich somehow. Either by normal means or using my immortality somehow. Then become a very reserved and elusive CEO. No one can see me, and I can only speak via interphone. Assume a new name, wait for a few decades, start rumors that I've died and someone else took my place. Secretly lead a normal life in the meantime, being careful not to nurture long-term relations.

And just keep living like that, waiting to see where humanity ends up.

Steal a boat, drive to Kansas and punch Fred Phelps in the face.

i would buy lots of guns, swords and other weaponry, and then take employ as a mercenary. once i've amassed a fortune, i'd likely start taking over countries in order to stop a bunch of bullshit and lead the human race down a better path. like not screwing up the planet. during all this time i'd be doing tests on myself to see if i could transfer said immortality to others, such as my friends, and how to ultimately reverse it so that, when the right time comes, i can actually die.

The mercenary life obviously! I'd become a modern day Zodd the immortal.

I would sing up for the first time machine ever built (who better to send back than the guy who can wait the years out)

Then I would have walked the earth. Solving problems for people.
And also take over the world..... Slowly (I see your arguments against that escapists but I still believe it can be done)

I also would work out (cause hey why not)

Rawne1980:

revjor:

Rawne1980:
I'd take over the world.

I'm immortal, who the fracks going to stop me?

someone with a jail? it's not like you have any other powers

Aye but i'm hardly going to walk into jail myself.

They have to get me there and force isn't going to get them anywhere.

Two coppers and some pain induced compliance and you are in a cell, you have no super strength or death ray lasers for eyes. You just cant die, so anyway normal way of getting someone in a cell will work just fine.

J Tyran:

Two coppers and some pain induced compliance and you are in a cell, you have no super strength or death ray lasers for eyes. You just cant die, so anyway normal way of getting someone in a cell will work just fine.

No I don't have super strength but I can fight.

I also have 12 years military experience in the British Para's so no, 2 coppers won't be taking me anywhere.

Also, people seem to be under the assumption that i'm just going to jump up and shout "THE WORLD, GIVE IT TO ME".

No, just no.

Proclaim myself an immortal god and build up a cult.

I have eternity to grow that cult into an army.

Step One: Take over Canada through democracy (only a fool doesn't vote for the immortal).
Step Two: Fund a space program.
Step Three: Train to be an astronaught.
Step Four: Travel space.
Step Five: Go in to a black hole.

Rawne1980:

J Tyran:

No I don't have super strength but I can fight.

I also have 12 years military experience in the British Para's so no, 2 coppers won't be taking me anywhere.

Also, people seem to be under the assumption that i'm just going to jump up and shout "THE WORLD, GIVE IT TO ME".

No, just no.

Proclaim myself an immortal god and build up a cult.

I have eternity to grow that cult into an army.

So in the future then right? Who can tell what methods of controlling people will be around then, maybe stun rays or a gel canister that instantly binds its target. No way to tell at all, but you can bet its enough to stop a single human without superpowers (generally a Taser already is but they are limited). Unless your cult can grow to be as powerful as something like the US military is today you aint taking over anything, chances are also that as soon as something like the a cult led by an immortal god begins on the road to having that much military power the leader(s) of any collective (concept of countries might not exist then) that does have that kind of military power will smash it to its knees again. You will be forced into hiding to start over again.

The only way it would work is if the world regresses for some reason, you would survive any natural super disaster or WMD war to take of the ragged survivors or maybe become an Alexander the Great type figure after a few centuries of recovery. So its not impossible but unless drastic things happen its unlikely.

Hide the fact. Cause I dont like the idea of being experimented on for the rest of my life. Considering that would be a pretty fucking long period of time it would be foul.

Combined with the whole watching my loved ones die, not being able to age with them... What you have described seems to be Captain Jack Harkness in a nutshell. Look how happy that man is.

LTlewis:
You have just discovered that you are Immortal. The simple kind, no having to repair any injuries, no aging just the best kind of immortality. What do you do first.
Myself, I go to the middle of London (my closest big city) and start to advertise the fact, jumping of buildings playing in traffic, all that stuff. Why? To see people react, do they call it a trick, am I heralded as the messiah or devil. How long before the government turns up. And if I am carted off so what. I just sit around for a century or two and then walk out of whatever ruin I'm in.

they would jut lock you in a box and hide you. for centuries. you would go insane and wish you would be dead.

immortality isnt going to make your strenght unlimited.

Invest to accumulate wealth. have eternity for having fun. thats the way to go. actually, the best part of it is that i could totally skip sleeping since im not going to die anyway. thats 8 extra hours a day. its not about how many hours i have, but about how many hours a day anyway.

Gormech:
Join the army.
Go into a battle.
Drop my assault rifle and slowly walk towards enemy lines with nothing but a sidearm and a knife.
After that, mercenary time once my term runs up.

That, or go to North Korea and challenge their leader.

You mean join their leader, it would be the only way they could become a plausible international threat, then those idiots in the Red Dawn remake would really have something to fear. What would I do, what brain couldn't, take over the world!

lRookiel:

BurnedOutMyEyes:
Get stuck.
Scream for eternity.

You could just eat some oranges and it would be k :3

OT: I would watch civilizations rise and fall, all the while trying to not go insane after hundreds and thousands of years.

A hole in the earth is environmental CC, so unfortunately no amount of citrus fruit consumed would fix the issue.
Back to screaming.

I don't want to be an immortal. Life's too depressing in so many ways that who in their right mindset would want to live forever? I'm currently in a state where my health is deteriorating all the time and I will die. But you know what? I don't care, I'm ready to leave immediately if the Grim Reaper comes to collect.

Why fight crime? It's not my fault that the human race is thoroughly retarded and evil. I'm sure that the society would find ways to oppress an immortal being. No way they'll like someone like that wander around and do what he/she wants. In a world like this, I see only the end and that's not even depressed angst from a middle aged man. That is the reality. Unless all races start working together to right the wrongs, we'll all perish and be obliterated sooner or later. Think about that some time when you're on a hippie rush.

To all friendly and aware people: I respect you, whoever you are and it's people like you that this world needs more. I'm ready to befriend anyone who fits that description and I won't always sound this... martyrish ;D Enjoy life and anjoy games and peace to all who support and want it. Greetings from the snow and ice covered north that is Finland! There, I ended this cheerfully as I don't want to bum everyone out :)

Rawne1980:

revjor:

Rawne1980:
I'd take over the world.

I'm immortal, who the fracks going to stop me?

someone with a jail? it's not like you have any other powers

Aye but i'm hardly going to walk into jail myself.

Well, surely you could still be tranquilized, or physically overpowered by a group of people?

OT: Make it up as I go along, really. Probably find out where Shia LeBouf lives, and every birthday, break into his house and headbutt him in the face, then run off. And when he dies, I'll do it to his oldest male descendant. Forever.

Bloodline curse!

Copper Zen:
I'm Immortal? Why thank you very much! ^_^

What would I do first? Frankly I'd relax. Seriously. I'd realize that all the problems I'm dealing with now are passing concerns and I'd truly take the long view.

I'd relax.

No you wouldn't. People today live like they're going to be around forever, and none of them seem very relaxed to me.

Actually, the trickiest part of immortality in modern society, I think, would be that you would have to work on a new identity all the time, unless you want to announce yourself to the world. Because you're going to leave a paper trail.

Binnsyboy:
Actually, the trickiest part of immortality in modern society, I think, would be that you would have to work on a new identity all the time, unless you want to announce yourself to the world. Because you're going to leave a paper trail.

Yes you're totally right there, friend. I think that simply being Immortal would cause a lot of trouble. Let's pretend that I'm in full health and I become immortal. I don't think I'd tell anyone about it. I could try to help people out in ways that I can do but in modern society you'd become a lab rat and a prisoner if you announced your Immortality to the world. Some factions would propably want to kill you because the news that someone is immortal would be too much for the humanity to bear. It would be a curse, not a gift.

Captcha: Cold Comfort :D How right you are internet, the irony of this is so bittersweet it tastes of lemon ^_^

I'd invest for yeaaarrrs. Take my earnings and buy and island, invest in tech and weaponry and build my own fortified, self sustaning island paradise. My island inhabitants would keep the island up and functioning. Forever! Those who try to oppose my independence or take my island over will be dealt with. Then I'd explore the world from time to time and retreat to my awesome mini empire.

Then go to space a few times for the hell of it. Volunteer to go to Mars with others or something.

Live normally until I'm at the age where people might start being suspicious of my good looks at a good age, fake my death, move someplace else, continue living normally, except of course with more knowledge of stuff.
I might eventually become some kind of all-knowing mysterious traveler at some point.

Are there other people that are immortal? Because if there are...you know...there can be only one.

I go to the beach and I lie down and I finally relax.

Become rich and powerful in time.
Get a personal fitness regiment going.
Become even more rich and powerful in time.
Hone various skills and crafts while doing so.
Get a mansion.
Become skilled in a variety of unarmed combat forms.
Get another mansion elsewhere.
Become skilled in a variety of armed combat styles.
Probably a third mansion, because why not?

You know, the things aristocratic vampires do because they also live forever?
I'd basically become a vampire, without the whole "having to feast on human blood" bit.

Stop giving a fuck. Possibly punch Jack in the face, that smarmy little cunt... Yeah... Stupid Jack saying he hopes I get diabetes... I hate Jack... Jack...

And, I don't know, I'd become a superhero and just try and do cool things, maybe lose wait, learn parkour, punch a shark... Hmmm.

I don't announce it at first, I go on to recruit many around the world whose morals I deem just (no politics, just morals). Then, when I have enough, I begin to create a new world, where people no longer kill each other just for simple things like land, resources, or opinion, and where all men and women live as equals. We will then unify our strength and turn to the stars to discover what's left to be discovered and travel to find other species. TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE (sorry had to put that in there XD)

I'd just keep learning new skills, new things. Be able to play every instrument, paint like a master, write, draw, sing, be an expert in every scientific field. Become the ultimate renaissance man; the very pinnacle in everything.

And then once I'd mastered everything, I don't know. Perhaps I'd go on a voyage to the stars. Explore the galaxy. The huge time-spans wouldn't matter to me. Eventually, I'd come back to Earth, and see how it had changed while I'd been away.

-Get a gun.

-Shoot myself in the head.

-In front of audiences.

-???????

-Get rich.

Also, science. Lots of science. If I'm immortal I'll be sure to make sure science advances as fast as possible. After all, if nothing new happened then everything would get so boring. D:

I'll be honest, first thing would be climbing on top of a skyscraper, blasting 'Princes of the Universe' from the top with a big-ass PA, then jumping down, splattering the sidewalk, then calmly getting up and walking away without saying another word.

"I AM IMMORTAL, I HAVE INSIDE ME BLOOD OF KINGS!"

From then on it'd be investing and other long-term plans of making money combined with, I dunno, getting a medical or biological degree so I can study my power and perhaps reproduce it in a synthesized form.

Of course it would not be to the extent of my immortality. I'm not dooming people to that, plus it'd create way too many problems to be worth the trouble.

Then once I engineer 'Eternal-life-in-a-can', I'll make sure it works for a limited amount of time, then make it available for an actually affordable price, both creating a monopoly on the product, which ensures sales, and avoiding the otherwise inevitable uprising of everyone who DOESN'T have millions of dollars for every dose, instead going for something more similar to a "10 bucks a month" plan.

If I get everyone in the first world on that, that's still billions every month.

Then once I have the capital for it, I'll buy out some major corporations, but capable folk in charge of them, and retire to my custom-tailored mansion to start working on spaceflight and terraforming the less habitable regions of the world, all research and staff funded by the above mentioned massive sources of income (Hell, I'll deny my own salary bonuses for the corporation positions. Free PR!).

Also, booze & blow. And other assorted hedonism that is within the realms of legality. Because just because I'm immortal doesn't mean I have to turn into a perverted creep, now does it?

My Science brings all the boys and girls to my yard.......

On second thought, just getting to go out and explore the world would be fun. Don't have to worry about getting shot and thrown in a ditch by some locals just because of how I look. Also, you can avoid a lot of issues with meds as far as pain and stuff goes in emergencies.

this was meant to quote the TFS hellsing guy but it wont work....

but pretty much what he said

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or