10.6% (15)
10.6% (15)
Zoidberg
13.4% (19)
13.4% (19)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do you enjoy poetry?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So I have been dabbling in poetry for a little bit and I got curious as to how much you guys on the escapist like it.

I thought 'Why not Zoidberg?' and chose Zoidberg. On the topic of poetry itself, I am indifferent. Strange because I love song lyrics and analyzing them.

I have a hard time
Making things rhyme
And my sentence structure
Could use quite the juncture

I'm not one for couplets
They're easier than triplets
Which come out like cutlets

When I try to do them.

I like a good poem
One with a rhythm
Or one that causes a schism
In my mental forum

I don't often do this
But I would be remiss
If I were to dismiss

A fellow poet.

i find poetry

often overly wanky

i do not like it

Mary had a little Lamb
She tied it to a pylon
Ten thousand volts shot up it's arse
And turned it's wool to nylon

Beautiful that, absolute written art.

I'm partial to a bit of poetry.
Though I'm bad at it you see.
My structure is oh noetry.
As bad as can be.

I like some poetry. I'm particularly fond of Kipling.

When the Himalayan Peasant meets the He-Bear in his pride
He will shout to scare the monster, who will often turn aside
But the She-Bear thus accosted rends the Peasant tooth and nail
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male

not my cup of tea. Nice to analyze for papers, though, due to conciseness.

There's some poetry that I like and some that I loathe. I don't see how anyone can dismiss an entire medium, or claim to love an entire medium. It's like asking if I enjoy books. I loved Catch-22, I hated Twilight. The medium itself is neutral. The enjoyment I get depends on the quality and nature of the work.

Captcha: bad books. Hurr.

Depends on the subject.

Very rarely does a subject I am interested in come up in the limited poetry I've read.

I'm a literature student, so I'll let you decide.
Hint: You kinda have to in order to not fail exams.

I enjoy it casually.

It's probably about as standard and mainstream as can possibly be with poetry but I've found Invictus to be very beautiful.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I don't like it. I just don't feel I'm getting something out of it. I can recognize a beautiful poem or an inspiring line, but it doesn't make me feel or think anything. Poems, painting and sculpturing are art forms that really do anything for me.

I don't know why, but I'm not a poetry fan. I love song lyrics and analysing them or finding out what they're about, but just find poetry to be quite dry. That said, I rarely sit down and read a load of poetry, so maybe I'm just remembering what I had to read for school.

Years of having to study and analyse poems and lyrics in school have caused me to hate poetry and prententious poets.
God damnit, if you're hungry, just say it instead of writing 15 stanzas wailing about your woe and misfortune.

unlike other mediums its not exactly a "seller" which is interesting

I'm not into it but I am into lyrics (particually rap lyrics) that are well written

I decently enjoy it, mostly Kipling

There needs to be an option between "as much as the next guy" and "omg I love it."

I love poetry, and a glass of scotch, and, of course, my friend Baxter here.

Voted Zoidberg.

I have a love/hate relationship with poetry. I like reading poems. I have a vast collection of anthologies, and I've been published in one myself. However..

I don't like it when other people analyse poetry and try to explain it. Literature in general is filled with this - anticipating the author's mood, feelings, beliefs just by inferring from what he wrote. When someone writes "the curtains were blue", that doesn't mean that the unique pigment of the curtains represents his inner depression. It means the curtains were fucking blue.

I would never really try to read it on my free will. it would have to be for a paper at school.
I think it is the rhyming that bothers me.
I dont find japanese poetry as annoying at all.

lechat:
i find poetry

often overly wanky

i do not like it

OT: I like modern stuff that doesn't take itself seriously.
Things like poetry slams and so on.

Roggen Bread:

lechat:
i find poetry

often overly wanky

i do not like it

OT: I like modern stuff that doesn't take itself seriously.
Things like poetry slams and so on.

you appear to be the only one though.....

I'm quite partial to some Tennyson. I used to live in the same town as he did and it made so much more sense actually seeing what was inspiring him to write.

"Where, far from noise and smoke of town
I watch the twilight falling brown,
All round a careless-ordered garden,
Close to the ridge of a noble down."

My favourite form is probably the short story though. It doesn't take too much time to read, but has an amazing amount of detail packed in out of necessity.

Vault101:
unlike other mediums its not exactly a "seller" which is interesting

I'm not into it but I am into lyrics (particually rap lyrics) that are well written

I had an English teacher in high school who was fond of arguing rap lyrics are the modern person's poetry and equally as deserving a place in English canon as any piece of classical poetry. It's an interesting standpoint to take, and I agree. I mean, sure there's a lot of rap that sounds banal, but that's easily the same as a ton of what are considered the "classics" of poetry and in return there's just as much rap that really do have incredible lyrics. Rap can be equally as beautiful as poetry, and it's far more likely to be what survives of us in a literary and poetic sense than the current wave of post-modern poetry.

OT: Yeah, I enjoy poetry. I wouldn't have taken English if I didn't. Obviously, I have my own personal poetry that I prefer to read - poetry from the First World War is especially profound and it has meant a lot more to me since doing the tour of the battlefields, memorials and mass graves a few years back. I'm fond of some of the metaphysicals like Donne; I've also always enjoyed the Romantics. Modern poetry tends to bore me though, but there are some interesting poets. Larkin is definitely my favourite of the modern age, although Cummings is up there as well thanks to his interesting idea on the layout of poems.

Your options for the poll are very squiffy. You have one option for "absolutely love tremendously", and the other options are either indifference, dislike or randomness. Based on that, I choose not to vote as I like poetry a fair bit more than the next guy, but I don't deem it OMG AMAZING SELL MY ORGANS.

I often write them in cards for special occasions/if I'm bored. I don't read it much though, apart from the odd Burns classic.

I'd have preferred it if the 'yes' poll option wasn't batshit retarded, but yeah, I like some poetry a lot. Hell, I can recite some Wilfred Owen from memory. He articulates the brutality of war so perfectly.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

(The latin bit translates to 'it is sweet and fitting to die for your country'.)

So in class last week we started studying Poetry, and I hate poetry, worst of all our teachers both said that most of us probably don't like poetry yet. yet. YET.

Nice way to shove the subject down our throats and to tell us what we like and don't like. GG.

As to why I don't like poetry, like detail, which is why I like books. A story that can be created in poetry can be created in a book and it will be infinitely better. That and poetry just doesn't make any sense to me.

lechat:
i find poetry

often overly wanky

i do not like it

I seem to agree

Mostly it is pure bullshit

But at times it shines

How can you be into a creative medium like gaming and not care for any of the others? That's like saying you're not into movies or not into music. I mean, sure, those people are out there, but simply aren't broadening their horizons enough. It's not like you have to love all the poetry out there, but dismissing an entire medium, man... you're missing some opportunities there.

I fucking love snow.

But I would never say as much on a poll which was written by someone who believes multiple punctuation shows greater enjoyment. Multiple punctuation is a sign of a diseased mind.

I used to write a lot, some of it got published in an anthology, some of it got into a book on understanding mental health issues. Good fun. My sister recently bought me a leather bound writing book to try and encourage me to get back into it. Strangely, thanks to my life developing actual issues, I no longer write. When I was a stupid fucking teenager who thought that a girl dumping me was the be all and end all of life I used to write on a daily basis. Now I cannot even remember the last time I put pen to paper and got the creative juices flowing.

I blame being a Uni student with all the free time of... I cannot find an apt metaphor. Something that has no free time.

I used to write poetry in heaps back in my younger times, now I only dabble in those waters from time to time.
I like to read poetry that is not at all serious, even though I write otherwise.

King of Asgaard:

Not true. I like classical poetry and I had to do and exam on contemporary shit (not saying all contemporary poetry is shit but by God what we were doing was) Still passed the exam with great marks.

lechat:
i find poetry

often overly wanky

i do not like it

You can love or hate
What matters is your respect
Do not generalise

I don't appreciate it that much, to be honest, and I appreciate it less the more pretentious and less structured it is. Like the way I don't appreciate abstract art, except that I like art as a whole rather than being indifferent.

Gabanuka:

King of Asgaard:

Not true. I like classical poetry and I had to do and exam on contemporary shit (not saying all contemporary poetry is shit but by God what we were doing was) Still passed the exam with great marks.

I suppose so, but liking what you're studying makes it a far less painful time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked