Dear Media,

I'm going to ask you something to the best of my ability. I'm going to try to be nice. I'm going to say something critical. I'm going to say something that will make you outraged.

Kindly shut the fuck up please.

We're done with this school shooting business. Let us move on.

Stop blaming video games for shit that you have no idea about. Video games are just as valid a form of entertainment as books, movies, and music are. I can look at some games and call them art; can you? Did you personally know the

Stop saying that violence is the reason that you're banning them. Doesn't explain why the hell it's acceptable to watch a borderline R-rated movie, but that video games of any (ESRB, or PEGI) rating will corrupt our minds.

Stop saying that violence leads to more violence. Bullshit. I don't believe you've talked to anyone with PTSD. I don't believe that you fired a real gun expecting the effects in a video games.

Stop saying that video games started a chain reaction, so that you can advocate banning guns. Banning guns and going into that debate is essentially pointless, as the Second Amendment of our fine Constitution states that it's perfectly fine to bear arms. By sane people that is, nevermind that a good amount of people in this country are idiots.

All of what you're saying is lazy bullshit whipped up to stir the masses, and I've had enough.

Regards from a disgruntled nonconformist unhappy with the United States,
thesilentman

/letter

Right then. I'm goddamn sick of the media going nuts over video games. I know that this happened in the past multiple times, but this time, it's gone way too far. Way too far. There is no correlation between video games and mental conditions, okay? I don't like the fact that the media has scapegoated video games for too long

I've tried my best to keep it in, but I've had enough. Anyone else feel the same?

I just spoke with Media about this, she said "NO" kicked me in the balls and ran off blaming Obama.

I feel the exact same though.
That's why I now live without tv and try to avoid any sort of media besides unconventional ones.
The video game scapegoat will eventually be replaced with something else so I'm just ignoring it until then.

TopazFusion:

They didn't actually have any evidence or proof that the "witches" were actually witches at all, but they burned them at the stake anyway.

Of course they had proof.

Some of those witches had cats.

Not just any cats but black ones, with eyes that watch you. My wife also has a black cat .... I have a pile of wood in the shed just in case.

They also had fool proof methods of finding witches.

Drop them in water, if they float .. burn the fucker .. if they drown, they are dead but they died with people knowing they weren't a witch.

Umm i think it's perfectly reasonable that videogames can and does affect people . Every action has a reaction . That's a fact . Now , that being said , not everyone is prone to violence , nor is everyone influenced by violence in entertainment media ( such as violent movies , music and games ). But some people are . Granted , a lot of prople commit shooting without an external influence . But you can't deny the possibility that a select few are . That being said , should violent videogames be banned? No . But to say that violent games ( or music or any form of entertainement ) does not influence those who are prone to violence would be false . Humans are highly influenceable . That is a fact . Violent videogames can easily influence an mentally unstable person . Just like a child can be influenced by seeing violence on a daily basis . Did these people have psychological problems that caused then to act in such a way? Most likely . But to say the violent videogames had " ABSOLUTELY " no effect on the person may not be entirely accurate , given what we know about human psyche.

I can honestly understand why people would assume videogames cause violence . While that assumtion may be wrong , since the game did not directly influenced/caused the person to act out in such a way . I can'tdeny that it's certainly possible/likely that videogames INDIRECTLY contributed in such an act . This is from the percpectivd of a gamer that can objectively look at these situations .

Came at me bros .

Shinsei-J:
I just spoke with Media about this, she said "NO" kicked me in the balls and ran off blaming Obama.

lmao I know right it drives me insane that people seem to think the media is some kind of organized group with unified opinions and beliefs. This whole topic is stupid since video games are a media outlet themselves and are a part of the media.

So much face palm.

Well, your kind of preaching to the choir here. I doubt that anyone will object to this on a video-game focused site.

really? this incident involving video games seems pretty beign compared to the Jack Thompson crusade 5-10 years ago.

Also, the media knows that video games are a hot button topic. On the one side you have the "back in my day" people who are opposed to videogames because they grew up without them and turned out fine (in their opinion) so clearly its videogames. On the other side you have...well people who play video games.

I dont think that the media "cares" one way or another. They just want to poke a bunch of hornet's nests and watch in glee as the resulting chaos causes their ratings to soar.

Ryotknife:
really? this incident involving video games seems pretty beign compared to the Jack Thompson crusade 5-10 years ago.

Also, the media knows that video games are a hot button topic. On the one side you have the "back in my day" people who are opposed to videogames because they grew up without them and turned out fine (in their opinion) so clearly its videogames. On the other side you have...well people who play video games.

I dont think that the media "cares" one way or another. They just want to poke a bunch of hornet's nests and watch in glee as the resulting chaos causes their ratings to soar.

It's also important to note that video games are a competitor to many media outlets. It's in their interests to paint them in a bad light, maybe convince some parents that they shouldn't but their kids these things. Some games have outsold the box office, books, DVDs, etc. Shareholders and Rupert Murdoch aren't fond of that, I'm sure. Also yes, the vast audience of "non-players" who might feel that the TV is validating their opinion about video games. Follow the money.

Look I am gonna let you in on a secret. The people working in media. Are f***ing assholes.

The reason they won't move on from the shootings or videosgames are because those to are both easy to write or report on and it sells. The villainization of videosgames are something the media do out of fear. It is mostly journalists that doesn't have an inside perspective on the subject an like a cornered animal, they go berserk for.
"videosgames makes you aggressive" ............ Show me a medium that doesn't and I will lay down.
Parents fear videosgames, so when a picture of a ps3 with a Hitler mustache is on the cover they will buy it like it was the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. Which gives the press. More money. That's why there are so many articles about it in one magazine alone. Money
You're never gonna hear about the good things in gaming like the education value or penny arcade's child's play

thesilentman:
Video games are just as valid a form of entertainment as books, movies, and music are. I can look at some games and call them art; can you?

You say that like the media never blamed books, movies or music for anything.

Rawne1980:

TopazFusion:

They didn't actually have any evidence or proof that the "witches" were actually witches at all, but they burned them at the stake anyway.

Not just any cats but black ones, with eyes that watch you. My wife also has a black cat .... I have a pile of wood in the shed just in case.

Drop them in water, if they float .. burn the fucker .. if they drown, they are dead but they died with people knowing they weren't a witch.

Another way to check for that is to weigh the witch, and if she weighs heavier than a duck, she's a witch.

No one gets the reference? No one?

krazykidd:
Umm i think it's perfectly reasonable that videogames can and does affect people . Every action has a reaction . That's a fact . Now , that being said , not everyone is prone to violence , nor is everyone influenced by violence in entertainment media ( such as violent movies , music and games ). But some people are . Granted , a lot of prople commit shooting without an external influence . But you can't deny the possibility that a select few are . That being said , should violent videogames be banned? No . But to say that violent games ( or music or any form of entertainement ) does not influence those who are prone to violence would be false . Humans are highly influenceable . That is a fact . Violent videogames can easily influence an mentally unstable person . Just like a child can be influenced by seeing violence on a daily basis . Did these people have psychological problems that caused then to act in such a way? Most likely . But to say the violent videogames had " ABSOLUTELY " no effect on the person may not be entirely accurate , given what we know about human psyche.

I can honestly understand why people would assume videogames cause violence . While that assumtion may be wrong , since the game did not directly influenced/caused the person to act out in such a way . I can'tdeny that it's certainly possible/likely that videogames INDIRECTLY contributed in such an act . This is from the percpectivd of a gamer that can objectively look at these situations .

Came at me bros .

I greatly agree with you. Video games and other media can influence people, but there is no correlation between violence and the frequency of violent media.

Sure, a kid may be tempted to use a gun after playing COD, but that doesn't mean that he'll be scared shitless firing one.

Dangit2019:
Well, your kind of preaching to the choir here. I doubt that anyone will object to this on a video-game focused site.

I'm more pissed at the fact that they focus on video games and only video games. It's pretty rare to see a controversy over books, but over video games? Yet another angry [insert person here] going about.

capper42:

thesilentman:
Video games are just as valid a form of entertainment as books, movies, and music are. I can look at some games and call them art; can you?

Like I told Dangit2019, it's just that people choose to blame video games and forget about every other form of entertainment/information.

If a movie is controversial, "X movie is controversial." they'll say and move on.

Video games? "WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! That gunman played X. HE'S A KILLER!".

Ryotknife:

Really? Not from what it looks like to me. It seems as some of them are genuinely concerned, but are saying the wrong things that are making themselves look like idiots.

DrunkOnEstus:
It's also important to note that video games are a competitor to many media outlets. It's in their interests to paint them in a bad light, maybe convince some parents that they shouldn't but their kids these things. Some games have outsold the box office, books, DVDs, etc. Shareholders and Rupert Murdoch aren't fond of that, I'm sure. Also yes, the vast audience of "non-players" who might feel that the TV is validating their opinion about video games. Follow the money.

That's a perspective I've never considered. But if that is so, why are they not treating all of the types of media the same. There's way more controversial topics hidden away in movies, books, and music than in video games. Heck, we have the decency to tell them that "Hey, just a heads up. We have X, Y, and Z. Make of that what you will.".

Ooohhoohh I like this guy.

thesilentman:

capper42:

thesilentman:

Like I told Dangit2019, it's just that people choose to blame video games and forget about every other form of entertainment/information.

If a movie is controversial, "X movie is controversial." they'll say and move on.

That's not true, it's just an easy target because it's a relatively new medium that has recently greatly expanded it's influence. Let's not forget that after Columbine Marilyn Manson got a lot of shit, and people were calling for the destruction of his CDs and such.

Rawne1980:

I always thought they weighed them against a duck...

capper42:

thesilentman:

capper42:

That's not true, it's just an easy target because it's a relatively new medium that has recently greatly expanded it's influence. Let's not forget that after Columbine Marilyn Manson got a lot of shit, and people were calling for the destruction of his CDs and such.

True, but still doesn't explain why the media chooses to blatantly ignore the fact that there's violence is around us everyday.

kgpspyguy:
Ooohhoohh I like this guy.

?

Uhhh, thanks? :-S

Agayek:

Rawne1980:

I always thought they weighed them against a duck...

OH. So it was a duck.

I'm tempted to go watch Monty Python again...

You get the media you deserve. Sensationalism sells and people buy it. If people wanted reasoned debate they would get it. They don't, they just want to have their fears and predjudices reinforced. Don't blame the Media, blame the people.

Dear thesilentman,

We understand that you may be frustrated. However, please be aware that we are not a collective that consciously acts in a uniform way. We're a set of individuals and private institutions that reports what we believe will appeal to our separate audiences as best as we can. Our audiences have different levels of intelligence or education, so we apply different levels of editorializing to meet their needs. In fact, it was a massive undertaking just assembling this response- hardly anyone from any different media company could agree on how to respond. We are not a collective; we are not a conspiracy. Please quit addressing us as though we were.

Sincerely,
"The Media"

P.S. Fox News insisted we mention that they're very impressed with your letter. Though they are a media organization, they are always on the lookout for people willing to demonize "the media" collectively. If you are open to tweaking some of your opinions in order to bring yourself in line with company thought-demands, they encourage you to submit a resume at your earliest convenience. Especially if you are a young, blonde, perky woman.

krazykidd:

Came at me bros .

In other words, 0.0000000000000000001 != 0

Is this what you are saying?

thesilentman:

True, but still doesn't explain why the media chooses to blatantly ignore the fact that there's violence is around us everyday.

You really want to know why video games are a common scapegoat?

Because they're new and the vast majority of the population are unfamiliar with them.

That's really all there is to it. It's happened with every new form of entertainment, from books to movies to music. When something new comes along, the older generation basically goes "I never had X when I was a kid, and I turned out great while kids today suck, therefore it must be the fault of X."

It has happened with every generation, and it will continue to happen into the future. Most likely, you yourself will be blaming the full-augmented-reality technology or whatever of the future for the corruption of the youth. It's human nature.

Rawne1980:

TopazFusion:

know the kind of person who'd question this methodology?

A witch.

TopazFusion:
Yep, there's no evidence that violent video games are the cause of any of this.

tbh, it's a bit like the witch burnings of old.

Granted, this time it's not people being targeted directly here, but rather an entertainment medium. But the principle is the same.

I'd have to disagree there.

There is some difference.

The witch hunts were done by ENTIRELY by overzealous twats that thought killing witches would end the black plague or whatever. They burned people alive without even any evidence suggesting that witches were even real.

The videogame banning thing is not functioning on the same principle. It is following through with the same pattern that has plagued all new media from plays to novels to radio to movies to television. All of them have gone through this sort of bullshit.

As for the original letter...

needs some editing before sending it to news media.

1. get some sources to support your side of it.

2. Read your own letter out loud to yourself and proofread it. There are a number of grammatical errors that make it a confusing read, and you have a sentence that just stops about halfway through it.

Yep my points exactly. Anymore of these witch hunts and I shall find a miscellaneous journalist and sap them with a fish. Preferably a cod, the fish of shame. It's shameful that so many "reputable" news sources jump on the bandwagon of unwarented criticism towards games, from experiments conducted on monkeys with guns.

Rawne1980:

TopazFusion:

I suppose you 'jokingly' pushed your wife in the pool a few times on holiday/a trip to the local swim baths to make sure, eh?

OT: I'm just glad the obvious parallels of the video game burning that almost happened became apparent to the people who arranged it.

Actually, no, I wish it had happened, because then us sane people could point to them as an example of the shit ignorance makes you do and shame them forever.

First off, I want to say that I agree with you; however, I am concerned about this letter you wrote and have some comments to make about it:

thesilentman:
I'm going to ask you something to the best of my ability. I'm going to try to be nice. This is either not true or was meant to say "I'm NOT going to try to be nice." Either case looks bad.I'm going to say something critical. I'm going to say something that will make you outraged. Not a good strategy. If you give someone who disagrees with you a choice between outrage or introspection, most will choose outrage and completely ignore any valid points you may make.

Kindly shut the fuck up please. Cathartic, but will not have the desired effect. It will likely have the opposite effect.

Stop blaming video games for shit that you have no idea about. "...for things that you do not understand" would work better. Keep in mind though that the media is not known for remaining silent just because it doesn't know what it's talking about.Video games are just as valid a form of entertainment as books, movies, and music are. I can look at some games and call them art; can you? They could interpret this as you not knowing what art is. Poor tactics.Did you personally know the This sentence starts and doesn't go anywhere. Looks bad.

Stop saying that violence is the reason that you're banning them. Doesn't explain why the hell it's acceptable to watch a borderline R-rated movie, but that video games of any (ESRB, or PEGI) rating will corrupt our minds.

Stop saying that violence leads to more violence. Bullshit. That judgement has no more apparent backing here than theirs. Why should they decide that they're the ones who are wrong?I don't believe you've talked to anyone with PTSD. I don't believe that you fired a real gun expecting the effects in a video games. These are assumptions that could easily be false, and you weaken your argument by using them.

Stop saying that video games started a chain reaction, so that you can advocate banning guns. Banning guns and going into that debate is essentially pointless, as the Second Amendment of our fine Constitution states that it's perfectly fine to bear arms. By sane people that is, nevermind that a good amount of people in this country are idiots. With all the errors up to this point, some of the more scornful readers might respond to that last bit with "Yes, I can see that."

All of what you're saying is lazy bullshit whipped up to stir the masses, and I've had enough.

Regards from a disgruntled nonconformist unhappy with the United States, Labeling yourself a nonconformist is not wise. They can use that to point out that you're probably just an angry uninformed youth, and they can also use the mistakes in your letter to point out how angry and uninformed nonconformists are in general.
thesilentman

/letter

Right then. I'm goddamn sick of the media going nuts over video games. I know that this happened in the past multiple times, but this time, it's gone way too far. Way too far. There is no correlation between video games and mental conditions, okay? I don't like the fact that the media has scapegoated video games for too long

I've tried my best to keep it in, but I've had enough. Anyone else feel the same?

I doubt this will have the intended effect. I hope you haven't actually sent this letter, because if you have, then it will in no way improve things. Good communication and social skills are prerequisites for persuasion. If you haven't honed them before attempting to talk to people who disagree with you, you run the risk of polarizing people against your viewpoint. I suspect this is actually part of the reason why debates on the internet are so fruitless; everyone's trying to persuade each other of things without knowing how to go about it.

There are people out there who agree with us, who are proficient communicators, and who have degrees or books to their name to give them some credibility. They are doing their part to move the debate in a positive direction, and the best that people like us can do is either become one of them or let them do the talking.

McMullen:
First off, I want to say that I agree with you; however, I am concerned about this letter you wrote and have some comments to make about it:

thesilentman:
I'm going to ask you something to the best of my ability. I'm going to try to be nice. This is either not true or was meant to say "I'm NOT going to try to be nice." Either case looks bad.I'm going to say something critical. I'm going to say something that will make you outraged. Not a good strategy. If you give someone who disagrees with you a choice between outrage or introspection, most will choose outrage and completely ignore any valid points you may make.

Kindly shut the fuck up please. Cathartic, but will not have the desired effect. It will likely have the opposite effect.

Stop blaming video games for shit that you have no idea about. "...for things that you do not understand" would work better. Keep in mind though that the media is not known for remaining silent just because it doesn't know what it's talking about.Video games are just as valid a form of entertainment as books, movies, and music are. I can look at some games and call them art; can you? They could interpret this as you not knowing what art is. Poor tactics.Did you personally know the This sentence starts and doesn't go anywhere. Looks bad.

Stop saying that violence leads to more violence. Bullshit. That judgement has no more apparent backing here than theirs. Why should they decide that they're the ones who are wrong?I don't believe you've talked to anyone with PTSD. I don't believe that you fired a real gun expecting the effects in a video games. These are assumptions that could easily be false, and you weaken your argument by using them.

Stop saying that video games started a chain reaction, so that you can advocate banning guns. Banning guns and going into that debate is essentially pointless, as the Second Amendment of our fine Constitution states that it's perfectly fine to bear arms. By sane people that is, nevermind that a good amount of people in this country are idiots. With all the errors up to this point, some of the more scornful readers might respond to that last bit with "Yes, I can see that."

Regards from a disgruntled nonconformist unhappy with the United States, Labeling yourself a nonconformist is not wise. They can use that to point out that you're probably just an angry uninformed youth, and they can also use the mistakes in your letter to point out how angry and uninformed nonconformists are in general.
thesilentman

/letter

I doubt this will have the intended effect. I hope you haven't actually sent this letter, because if you have, then it will in no way improve things. Good communication and social skills are prerequisites for persuasion. If you haven't honed them before attempting to talk to people who disagree with you, you run the risk of polarizing people against your viewpoint. I suspect this is actually part of the reason why debates on the internet are so fruitless; everyone's trying to persuade each other of things without knowing how to go about it.

There are people out there who agree with us, who are proficient communicators, and who have degrees or books to their name to give them some credibility. They are doing their part to move the debate in a positive direction, and the best that people like us can do is either become one of them or let them do the talking.

No, I haven't sent it. I wrote this in a fit of anger, so all the changes that you're suggesting may be better for me to implement. It isn't good that I'm sounding like an angry prick here.

fwiffo:

krazykidd:

Came at me bros .

In other words, 0.0000000000000000001 != 0

Is this what you are saying?

That , that right there is the best TL;DR ever . I wish i had thought of that .

I don't expect everyone ( read: anyone ) to agree with me . But i feel that , especially on a site full of gamers , people have a "them vs us" mentallity . Both sides are completly shooting down the other side's opinions . We should meet each other half way . I understand wanting to defend your hobby , but both sides need to understand the other's point of view . I personally can't say either side is 100% wrong .

Rawne1980:

TopazFusion:

Actually the punishment for being a witch was simply locked up in solitary confinement until they rescinded their pursuit of the dark arts. The burning was simply another test as the belief was a witch couldn't burn by mortal fire. The problem is no one ever passed that test so it was spun afterwards as the punishment.

It's pointless. These stupid motherfuckers will never, ever listen. All we can do is hope it'll pass with no damage to our hobby.

Still...I really, really don't want to believe the media can make up whatever bullshit they like and pass it off as fact, but apparently, they fucking can.

thesilentman:

No, I haven't sent it. I wrote this in a fit of anger, so all the changes that you're suggesting may be better for me to implement. It isn't good that I'm sounding like an angry prick here.

Yeah, I've written a lot of angry emails and letters. I can't remember any that I'm glad I wrote. I can remember several that I'm ashamed of. I'm pretty sure a person could write better while too drunk to stand than they could while angry. I try to not ever do it these days.

Katatori-kun:
Dear thesilentman,

We understand that you may be frustrated. However, please be aware that we are not a collective that consciously acts in a uniform way. We're a set of individuals and private institutions that reports what we believe will appeal to our separate audiences as best as we can. Our audiences have different levels of intelligence or education, so we apply different levels of editorializing to meet their needs. In fact, it was a massive undertaking just assembling this response- hardly anyone from any different media company could agree on how to respond. We are not a collective; we are not a conspiracy. Please quit addressing us as though we were.

Sincerely,
"The Media"

P.S. Fox News insisted we mention that they're very impressed with your letter. Though they are a media organization, they are always on the lookout for people willing to demonize "the media" collectively. If you are open to tweaking some of your opinions in order to bring yourself in line with company thought-demands, they encourage you to submit a resume at your earliest convenience. Especially if you are a young, blonde, perky woman.

Thank you! it drives me insane how people seem to think the media is some sort of group or organization that has unified opinions and thoughts. It especially drives me nuts when people whine about the media supposedly harping on games when games are a piece of the media and by their own logic that makes no sense.

I agree. But I think they should shut up about the shootings and suchlike in general. It sends a message that the maniacs the nutters of this world can go out with a bang and be remembered forever, rather than topping themselves in a lonely basement somewhere. The attacking of Videogames annoys me too, but not as much as the attempted villifying, and the resulting martyrdom.

Doclector:
It's pointless. These stupid motherfuckers will never, ever listen. All we can do is hope it'll pass with no damage to our hobby.

Still...I really, really don't want to believe the media can make up whatever bullshit they like and pass it off as fact, but apparently, they fucking can.

If they can make money off of it, they will do whatever the hell they want. Not like anyone can rein them in considering the power they have.

TopazFusion:
Yep, there's no evidence that violent video games are the cause of any of this.

tbh, it's a bit like the witch burnings of old.

Granted, this time it's not people being targeted directly here, but rather an entertainment medium. But the principle is the same.

Yeah, but there are people trading gift cards for violent video games/media to be later burned. I say that while they're at it, they should dive into the fire.

Anyway, these people will always run away from the problem and not accept responsibility for the real issues, instead taking it out on a medium that they are not too fond of or familiar with in hopes that this prevents more tragic events. The issue is people and the lack there of with common sense to hospitalize those mentally unstable individuals with violent and homicidal tendencies.

thesilentman:

Rawne1980:

TopazFusion:

Another way to check for that is to weigh the witch, and if she weighs heavier than a duck, she's a witch.

No one gets the reference? No one?

Reference ruined. She's only a witch if she's weighs the same as a duck.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked