Cynicism: An Endless, Useless, and Destructive Cycle.

Pages PREV 1 2

Berithil:

Dangit2019:
Snip and

TL;DR
Why do people seem to gravitate towards cynicism as a superior trait? And would the world be better if people were less cynical?

This is due to MLP, isn't it? XD

NO.

<_<

>_>

yes

I wasn't going to mention it though, because every time I do, it completely derails the thread.

Dangit2019:

Berithil:

Dangit2019:
Snip and

TL;DR
Why do people seem to gravitate towards cynicism as a superior trait? And would the world be better if people were less cynical?

NO.

<_<

>_>

yes

I wasn't going to mention it though, because every time I do, it completely derails the thread.

Knew it!

Alright, let's keep it between us.

Berithil:

Dangit2019:

Berithil:

NO.

<_<

>_>

yes

Knew it!

Alright, let's keep it between us.

Too late now! God, you Bronies make me sick, just forcing your little fetish into every single thread! Do you really expect us to believe this derailment wasn't the intention all along, so you could talk about...like, Sparklehooves or Rainbow Feedbag or fucking...fucking...Clive or whatever?!

OT: I used to be pretty cynical. I grew out of it, I think. I'm still suffering from depression, but it's much easier to make stupid jokes (as you can see) and try to look on the bright side than to dwell on stuff.

As a miserable, cynical pessimist with a seething hatred towards mankind, I feel I must stand up for my people.
And since this is the Escapist, I think I can point at Yahtzee and his quote "It's better to just assume everything is shit until it can prove otherwise"... or words to that effect.
But cynicism only works properly when approached correctly and sensibly. Not everything sucks, just most of it.
People should do their own thing and if that thing is "hate stuff", then go for it. If more people were cynical then more people would be able to get together and moan at the happy people...

Realism: Looking at the world for what it really is and accepting that a lot of people lie cheat and steal all the fucking time. Commonly mistaken for cynicism.

SonicWaffle:

Too late now! God, you Bronies make me sick, just forcing your little fetish into every single thread! Do you really expect us to believe this derailment wasn't the intention all along, so you could talk about...like, Sparklehooves or Rainbow Feedbag or fucking...fucking...Clive or whatever?!

If it makes you satisfied, I hereby use my OP powers to banish any further unrelated comments about MlP.

BANISH I say.

I'm cynical with everything that happens to me because I'm generally a clumsy person and I was yelled at a lot and put down often whenever I did anything wrong. I feel that everything I do will fail because I feel like someone will complain no matter what I do. I could find the cure to cancer, fix world hunger and stop every war but someone will complain at me one company using child labor that I missed. I just expect the yelling and the failing so I just wonder "Why try? eventually the same outcome will happen no matter." which I know is a bad idea but if I try fixing it, it'll just fail.
I'm surprised nobody has posted the Yatzee table yet.

I think that Miles O'Brien said it best when he said something like "It's better to be a pessimist than an optimist. If you're an optimist, you're always disappointed. If you're a pessimist, things either go as expected or you're pleasantly surprised."

I only came here to see if anybody mentioned the grammar mistake in the title. That's a little bit of cynical humour for ya.

I like being surprised by good things. That happens when I hate everything. Hate brings more good for me. You know the old saying.

What an odd website to start this topic on.....

you do realize by far the most popular show on here is about a incredibly cynical reviewer bashing almost every AAA game in hilarious ways?

--------------------------------------------------
having said that.
The biggest problem with the internet is comments.
Every profound beautiful thought somebody is willing to try and share, is immediately torn to shreds and spit on by someone that nobody even knows, and didn't go there to hear.

ninjaRiv:
I only came here to see if anybody mentioned the grammar mistake in the title. That's a little bit of cynical humour for ya.

Damn, how did I miss that...

Fixed

Dangit2019:

ninjaRiv:

Fixed

It's always more difficult to spot your own mistakes. The real surprise is that nobody seems to have mentioned it already.

ninjaRiv:

Dangit2019:

ninjaRiv:

Fixed

It's always more difficult to spot your own mistakes. The real surprise is that nobody seems to have mentioned it already.

I was going to.

Then I got distracted looking up quotes.

OT: Yeah, I try to be cynical as little as I can manage it. Partly because I have depression, partly because it's exasperating seeing all of the people who self-proclaim to be "misanthropes" or whatever, and partly because goddamn it, I like having fun.

Psycomantis777:
As a miserable, cynical pessimist with a seething hatred towards mankind, I feel I must stand up for my people.
And since this is the Escapist, I think I can point at Yahtzee and his quote "It's better to just assume everything is shit until it can prove otherwise"... or words to that effect.
But cynicism only works properly when approached correctly and sensibly. Not everything sucks, just most of it.
People should do their own thing and if that thing is "hate stuff", then go for it. If more people were cynical then more people would be able to get together and moan at the happy people...

I used to be pretty cynical. And unhappy.

Then I realized the only way I'd stop being a useless waste of space would be if I decided to do something with my life. So I took control, made some choices, adapted when things didn't go my way, but always pushed for what I found made me happy. And now I'm not cynical anymore. And for the last several years, I've been rather happy.

I once heard a story about a Buddhist priest and a cynic from the town who loved to insult him, because the priest never fought back. One day they met on the road, and the man said to the priest, "Tell me what you see when you look at me." The priest said, "I see God. Tell me what you see when you look at me." The man laughed and shouted, "I see SHIT!"

He then laughed all the way home and proudly told his sister of his joke. "I totally got the priest this time!" he crowed.

"Oh no, you didn't," said the sister. "And you don't even see that you didn't. The priest saw God in you because the priest's mind is full of nothing but God. The priest sees God in everyone, even you. But your mind, your mind is full of nothing but shit. So shit is the only thing you can see, even in the priest."

So then Scriffy the Squirrel said, "Neep! Neep! Neep!" and they all went home for tea.

I agree with some people here, cynicism is okay at a little dose.

I think it's good sometime to assume there's a dark side to things.
What I don't like though is when people assume that everything's shit until proven otherwise which is massively arrogant.
And something I've learned over the year is cynical people are by far the less helpful people I know.
I had some rough time last year and the people who always said that humanity is selfish, greedy this and that were the last to come help me when needed. Maybe the world would be better if cynics would do something about it ?

It's sad because they don't realize how awesome the world is and how life is full of surprise, begging to be discovered. Look at the world as it is, not perfect, but could be a lot worse, which it has been. I think they just need a little walk in the wilderness hihi :)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked