Which spiecies work the hardest?
People, for our lives are more complicated.
42.3% (22)
42.3% (22)
Animals, because they serve us until they die.
36.5% (19)
36.5% (19)
Other (please post why).
21.2% (11)
21.2% (11)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Who Works Harder - People or Animals?

This just came to me, and I think this would make a really interesting discussion as long as we can keep it civil.

Throughout history, we the people have worked tirelessly in our jobs, our hometowns doing construction, and raising the young. The years gone by to get by college, or through daily struggles as crap hits the fan .. whomever you are, you had to do a fair share of work.

However, animals have worked perhaps harder or longer then any human individual has. Look at horses for example, always giving us rides as we take them wherever we need to, or mules pulling some loads of wool to another country .. how about golden retrievers that are used to guide the blind around until the day the dog dies?

One can argue how hard the slaves had it in America when it came to work, but we can also point out how much animals struggled doing their tasks until they've dropped dead. Not saying animals have worked harder then slaves- just in general for the entire history of man being with animals.

There are people who're lazy while house pets (such as the cat) that sleep all day and do absolutely nothing. Or how about a mother who has to have 2 jobs and support a family of 6 while a mother lion has to hunt large zebras all day feeding her cubs along with the male lions? Whom do you think works the hardest in general, or during certain time periods from the past to now?

Animals have less work rights than humans - to state the obvious, but I'm not sure whether they've historically been overworked to the point of death. Animals had quite a lot of value so it wouldn't make sense to kill your best ox by working him too hard, as you'd have to replace him somehow.

Obviously wild animals have an awesome time, they don't have to do any work for humans and operate as self-employed, confident individuals that are free to do as they please. They also get a lot of downtime and sleep, which I envy.

You know people are animals right? Also our dominance over other species is completely self imposed and realistically they have just as much right to exist and do as they please as we do they are not naturally our slaves even if we do enslave some species.

We have had a symbiotic relationship with animals for most of our existence. They work for us, we protect them, we feed them and we take care of them.

Work animals have always been important and still are in rural areas and hard terrains. Just take a trip to really rural areas and you'll see how work animals are respected and precious.

There is no way to say in our human history who has worked harder, due to the symbiotic nature of our existence together. One compensated the other.

Also humans are animals.., Just saying.

Depend which animals or do you mean all of them in general?
I mean some animals like ant or squirrel instinct is to work. Yeah they can sleep and etc but they don't have alot of options when it come to non productive activity unlike us people. I mean you don't see a squirrel watching tv or an ant drinking at a bar.
Granted animals like dog and cat can be lazy at times.

First we would need to define "work". If a dog likes pulling sleds, is that work or play? Same question goes for humans with constructive hobbies. And are we only talking about physical labor, or does mental labor count as well? Does giving birth count as work (if so, there are some insects that work VERY hard)?

And then how do you weigh constant, low-intensity work (say, sitting in a cubicle for eight hours a day) against short periods of extremely intense work (sleeping 90% of the time and then getting in a life-or-death battle with your food)?

Not including domestic pets, I'd say most wild animals' entire ways of life could be considered working. They hunt, gather, or build pretty much constantly in order to survive.

Most humans have an 8 to 10-hour work day and set aside a fair amount of time to just kick back and relax. Not to mention lunch breaks and the like.

I'd argue most animals are working most of the time, for their food.
Whereas I get government money to go to University.

You can see who works harder in that scenario.

For most wild animals it's a 24 hour job just to get the food necessary to survive while avoiding predators. I'd say that would be more difficult and stressful than the jobs most of us have to deal with.

As for domestic pets of course they don't really have to do much for themselves.

it really depends on what animals you mean
my cat on one hand spends 90% of the day sleeping and the only work it really does is convincing me to open the door so it can go outside and sleep
my dog atm spends about 3 hours a day keeping me company walking and the other day she actually collapsed from exhaustion/heat and does every now and again bark at the neighbors to make sure they don't get any ideas so i guess she does sorta have a job

even thinking of wild animals i'm not too sure they do much work, cows and horses just spend all day eating grass and lions and shit just laze around most of the day, then chase some food for a few minuets. ignoring ants and bees and the like who will basically work themselves to death for mother russia i'd say the hardest working animals are genrally those we use ourselves who usually work the same hours as us

Esotera:
Animals have less work rights than humans - to state the obvious, but I'm not sure whether they've historically been overworked to the point of death. Animals had quite a lot of value so it wouldn't make sense to kill your best ox by working him too hard, as you'd have to replace him somehow.

Obviously wild animals have an awesome time, they don't have to do any work for humans and operate as self-employed, confident individuals that are free to do as they please. They also get a lot of downtime and sleep, which I envy.

Until they get eaten.

Then it sucks.

My cat had her babies, looked after them for a few months, and now sits around on her fat arse and has been doing so for nearly 2 years or so now.
My mum had me and my brother and has spent nearly 20 years doing the whole raising malarky.

You tell me.

I would say wild animals work harder since they have to spend all their energy to survive. For all the animals working, a human has to be directing them and provide food for them so I'd say humans have it harder than domestic animals.

Cats are beyond lazy, and many animals in the wild aren't always hunting or doing something so survive. I would liken them to soldiers in that there are long stretches of boredom, with brief periods of fighting and hunting respectively

TehCookie:
I would say wild animals work harder since they have to spend all their energy to survive. For all the animals working, a human has to be directing them and provide food for them so I'd say humans have it harder than domestic animals.

Humans > Domestic Animals

Humans < Wild Animals

Humans = Trained Domestic Animals

Yeah sounds about right (not being sarcastic). I agree with you on the most part, just ify on the last one I made because can say farm animals work harder then a farmer? It's sort of something I am going to be pondering about for awhile.

Esotera:

Consider the following.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade_(1936_film)#The_Charge_sequence
"The battlefield set was lined with trip wires to trip the cavalry horses. Dozens were killed during filming, forcing U.S. Congress to ensure the safety of animals in motion pictures. The ASPCA banned trip wires from films in its guidelines as well. Unlike the rest of Flynn's blockbuster films, because of the use of trip wires and the number of horses killed, it was never re-released by Warner Brothers."
So before this movie it was perfectly legal to have an animal killed in your movie. I have a link to a video of that movie if you'd like, not posting it here because I'm not sure how the mods would feel.

I honestly couldn't bring myself to vote, because this is a tricky question to pin down. As a human, I don't fight for survival every waking second, but I also exert more energy than most house cats I've seen.

I'll have to get back to you.

When a cow builds a space ship and flies to the moon I will believe they work as hard as us :P

1. People are animals.
2. Are you my pomeranian in Australia, a lion hunting zebra, a mosquito trying to spread malaria, or a stray dog in Vietnam?

In essence, some animals work harder than humans because humans have unions. But other animals work very little indeed.

Animals generally have it harder. People just overreact and bitch about the tiniest things. Lets skip all the petty stuff and go straight to something 'drastic' like losing your home. Think about your house burning down. You lose your stuff and maybe have to live at a friend or family members place. How will you go on? I mean, as an animal all you have to deal with is your entire habitat being destroyed by humans and dying because of lack of shelter or food.
Humans lives are only complicated because they make it so, complaining about it makes you extremely childish in my opinion. That's not to say there aren't legitimate things to be unhappy about but complaining about relationships, money and the like is stupid. If its so hard on you go live alone in a rainforest.
The only times humans ever have it harder then most animals are caused by humans anyway with things such as war,

Animals work harder.

Humans work smarter.

Domesticated animals shouldn't really be taken into consideration due to how some a simply pets, and therefore do next to NO work at all. Whereas some are beasts of burden and do nothing but work - but consider it 'fun'. Horses for example can consider being ridden entertainment, despite it clearly being work.

Caramel Frappe:

Humans = Trained Domestic Animals

That is pretty much dead on when you think about it. We're trained since birth to fit into society and work until we no longer can.

Mossberg Shotty:
I honestly couldn't bring myself to vote, because this is a tricky question to pin down. As a human, I don't fight for survival every waking second, but I also exert more energy than most house cats I've seen.

Do take your time- I am still thinking about it myself. It's such a deep question in fact, the poll is almost tied so that's saying something.
Also I noticed you're new here, yes? Nice to meet you and welcome to The Escapist! If you need anything, please hit me up :}

Abomination:
Animals work harder.

Humans work smarter.

This.

We are the dominant species for a reason. We actively find smarter ways to do things so we don't have to work hard. I can work my tail off lifting 3 boxes a load from point A to point B. However, I could just as easily move 100 boxes with a pallet and a jack much faster. Nobody would argue that I worked harder by using the jack, but I worked much, much smarter. Working hard doesn't mean anything if it doesn't yield results.

Caramel Frappe:

Mossberg Shotty:

Do take your time- I am still thinking about it myself. It's such a deep question in fact, the poll is almost tied so that's saying something.
Also I noticed you're new here, yes? Nice to meet you and welcome to The Escapist! If you need anything, please hit me up :}

Yea, I've been lurking here for years but only recently made an account.Thanks for the warm welcome, I'll be sure to let you know if I ever come up with the answer to this paradox. :D

Esotera:

Well your view of wild animals seems like that of someone who has never been around them... And apparently thinks they have great unions.

As for the question, animals have worked harder. People always tried working smarter, like wheels, spears and pulleys. Instead of feet, fingers and backs.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked