74.4% (29)
74.4% (29)
17.9% (7)
17.9% (7)
7.7% (3)
7.7% (3)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Elevators, and being stuck in them

I was recently stuck in my apartment elevator for over an hour (for the second time in the last 3 months), I spent that time listening to the Rolling Stones album Grrr!. That gave me an idea for this thread.

Post your harrowing tale about escaping the jaws of deaths (must involve elevators).

I've been stuck in an elevator only once, and that was enough for me.

Imagine this, you lovely people. Back in high school I was on a school club trip and we just dropped off our bags in our respected hotel rooms, and we were going downstairs for dinner. There were about four of us in the elevator and one guy wanted to conduct an experiment to see if he really can jump up and down inside to make it stop, and we told him that his experiment was stupid, and that it will stop. That should've put a kabosh on it, but he insisted on it.

Imagine his surprise when it not only stopped, and we were locked in for an hour, but that he made enemies in that short amount of time.

Not everything should be done in the name of science when you're hungry as hell.

I've never been stuck in one.

I usually take the stairs, anyway, unless I (1) don't feel well, (2) I need to be more than 10 floors up or (3) I don't have time. As a result, I rarely take elevators. Exercise!

I've only been stuck in once that I remember, it's possible it's been more than that though.

In my university halls you were allowed 8 people in at once. I was on my way out with 6 of my flatmates when the lift doors opened and there were already three people inside. Now, we lived on the 7th floor (8th to Americans) so it was quickly decided that we'd just pile in, assuming the max limit was just a precaution. On the way down it turned out to be a very real limit, as a sudden bang and a scream from one of the girls indicated our lift had just become stuck.

The 10 of us then spent at least half an hour in this horribly cramped chamber of heat and sweat waiting for the maintenance people to arrive. It was bad enough (but pretty funny) for the group I was in, I felt very sorry for the other three (who were not together, so had no one to talk to).

I'm sure we've all learned our lesson now that the warnings on lifts are very real.

Marter:

I usually take the stairs, anyway, unless I (1) don't feel well, (2) I need to be more than 10 floors up or (3) I don't have time. As a result, I rarely take elevators. Exercise!

I live on the fifth floor and I am usually dead coming back from track so I always take the elevator. Unless I am in a hurry then its just easier to run down the stairs, which thinking back on it, isn't a very good idea.

I got stuck in one with a claustrophobic man...not fun, especially when they grab you in a fit of panic, we were stuck between the first and second floor.

I like taking the stairs; it shows my independence from the MACHINE

If I was stuck, I don't think I'd freak out too much. Just regard it as a casual nuisance

I never actually got stuck in an elevator although the idea scared me as a kid.
This one time I was on vacation and was using the elevator in the hotel I was staying.
I was going down and suddenly it went up, scared the shit out of me, Oh well, silly young me.

Marter:

Agree on both counts...

Remember taking the stairs (always) at Lancaster Gate/Queensway station on the London underground when going to uni. It's 80/123 steps respectively and it's a good run. At both stations, it's actually faster than taking the elevator, weirdly... -_-

I did a few weeks ago, got stuck on the 5th floor. It was only for about 30 seconds but still strange as fuck when you haven't experienced that before.

hardly ever have need to use one so never been stuck
to those who have been stuck it coulda been worse

Not once. It's one of those things that happens to people in movies to have a meet cute.

I've only been stuck once. It was in a hotel, and I lost my room key, so I went down to get a new one, and made my way up in an empty elevator, then it got stuck. I had nothing with me to pass the time, and I wasn't tired, so I lost track of time. Most of it was spent counting the stars on the ceiling decoration. There were 179 if I remember right.

Good thing I'm not clausterphobic at least, but that was the most bored I have ever been in my life.

I've never been stuck in one, though that's probably because I tend to avoid them.

I got stuck with my dad and someone else on the college campus once. It wasn't too bad, we were in their for about 20 minutes, and the guy with us was cool.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked