"Just shut up and enjoy it"

I feel like a lot of the time when I express dissatisfaction with something, I get someone to tell me to stop thinking about it and just have a good time. This can be in regards to games, TV Shows, concerts, meetups, whatever. If I'm not having a good time, it must be because I'm a lame person who doesn't know how to have fun.

Honestly, this is about the stupidest argument that you can get. If I don't like something, there is no rule that says I have to be wrong just because lots of other people like it. I've been told to loosen up because I don't like bars (nevermind the fact that they're generally smoky and ridiculously loud to the point where you have to yell to have a conversation). I don't like Big Bang Theory's portrayal of nerds, but it's a popular show so I should just shut up and enjoy it. I had friends tell me to stop complaining about how poorly designed Dragon Quest IX was because they were enjoying it, so why shouldn't I?

It's a pretty pathetic argument because it doesn't actually add anything to the conversation. I'm fine with others liking what they want, but they seem to view me as adversarial because I don't agree. How often do you all run into this phrase?

A lot of people seem to view liking something as binary either you do or you don't. I can like something but wish it would hold itself to higher standards and be better.

Here's my advice and what I do and it's so simple ... just stop caring what other people think of you and be happy and confident with yourself. I don't like bars or clubs either and I won't let anyone else change that view, or pressurize me into doing something that I don't like or want to do. Say it to yourself "I don't give a fuck what people think of me," then say it again until it becomes your mantra, and you'll be surprised at how liberated and free you feel, and as I often say, normal is overrated, life would be really boring if everyone were the same.

Read Fairy Tail on Mangahere, if someone doesn't like a certain aspect of something, they get bitched out by something along the lines of "I am sick of people complaining about things in the manga yet continue to read it"

Screw that, we can talk about things we like/dislike as much as we want, to be honest, the only true way to appreciate something is to point out the flaws and things you don't like and still enjoying the series, seriously, just because there are things we don't like about the series (for me, it is the heavily forced JellalXErza pairing) doesn't mean we don't like it.

Well I haven't run into that exact phrase but I have spent a large amount of my life trying to get people off my back because I don't seem to be enjoying myself as much as they are.

One time I was in California with my brother, my mother, and some friends of my brother's. My brother was having a good damn time, acting like an idiot with his friends, drinking, and just being...well my brother. I am very much not like my brother, I don't smile often, I don't drink, I don't find acting like an idiot to be fun, and I do absolutely nothing to impress my friends. So all the time he would bring up the fact that I wasn't smiling or that I didn't seem to be having a good time. This was right after a very serious issue had happened in the family so, no I wasn't in the best moods.

I've had this conversation with a friend while reading in the lunchroom back in highschool.

Toni (my friend): Hey what's wrong?
Me: *looking up from my book, brow furrowing.* ...Nothing...I'm fine.
Toni: No really what's wrong?
Me: Nothing, I'm fine. Just reading.
Toni: Come on, I can tell something's wrong...
Me: Nothing's wrong, I'm just reading my book. *now getting annoyed*
Toni: Are you sure?
Me: Toni! I'm just trying to read! Leave me alone!

So yeah, people don't seem to understand that other people can enjoy things on different levels or just don't want to accept that it's okay if someone isn't have as good a time as they are.

I don't necessarily run into that specific phrase, but I do run into the "get over yourself" phrase OFTEN. What I do is ignore those people and stand my ground. You're entitled to your opinions so don't let someone dismiss them. I find it incredibly rude.

There's a fine line between expressing your own critical opinion and ruining other people's fun in order to feel superior to them.

Take an honest look at which side of the line you're on, and then that will tell you whether or not you should just "shut up and enjoy it."

Depends on the situation.
The way you're phrasing it, it seems like your friends are playing/watching and enjoying whatever, and you just pipe up with how bad it is when they don't want to discuss and are just trying to enjoy themselves.
If that's the case, dick move, yo.

But if it's actually a discussion-y discussion, yes it sucks.

This thread is not about rape.

/disappoint.

OT: That irritates me as well, along with the dreaded 'lots of people like it, so it MUST be good'. People don't seen to realize a differing opinion is not an objective value judgement.

I sort of agree and disagree. Having your own tastes is fine, but a lot of the time I feel that people make their opinions on things far too early and don't give them a fair chance. For example, drugs sexual acts music. I tried for years to get one of my friends (who was one of those 'TROO METULZ!' type metalheads) to give Slipknot a fair listen, with no success. We saw them at a festival a couple of years back and he's loved them ever since.

I think this is one of the biggest reasons why Reality is Unrealistic and Executive Meddling are so widespread, greatly contributing to Television is Trying to Kill Us.

Fiction is badly written, and it will remain so until people demand better. Unfortunately the trend seems to go the other way; it's seen as being more safe to dumb down than to portray things correctly.

I don't really hold my entertainment media to that high a standard

There's A LOT of things I like which I KNOW are bad in many respects but I enjoy them regardless; for example lots of anime I like are pretty poorly written *cough Dragonball Z*. I guess I'm a person who tends to "shut up and like" things : \

To be fair while you're certainly free to dislike whatever you want there's also no reason to bitch excessively about something other people may be enjoying.

I mean no one likes having to listen to another person's rant on whatever they may not like do they?

P.S. I'm sure this isn't what you're doing of course...

ImBigBob:
It's a pretty pathetic argument because it doesn't actually add anything to the conversation. I'm fine with others liking what they want, but they seem to view me as adversarial because I don't agree. How often do you all run into this phrase?

Never.

Seriously, like, never. Who talks like that? People, in my experience, are much more likely to say "OK, fine, if you don't like it leave it alone".

If you don't like bars, don't go to bars. If you don't like a game, don't play the game.

ImBigBob:
I feel like a lot of the time when I express dissatisfaction with something, I get someone to tell me to stop thinking about it and just have a good time. This can be in regards to games, TV Shows, concerts, meetups, whatever. If I'm not having a good time, it must be because I'm a lame person who doesn't know how to have fun.

Honestly, this is about the stupidest argument that you can get. If I don't like something, there is no rule that says I have to be wrong just because lots of other people like it. I've been told to loosen up because I don't like bars (nevermind the fact that they're generally smoky and ridiculously loud to the point where you have to yell to have a conversation). I don't like Big Bang Theory's portrayal of nerds, but it's a popular show so I should just shut up and enjoy it. I had friends tell me to stop complaining about how poorly designed Dragon Quest IX was because they were enjoying it, so why shouldn't I?

Sometimes you really just have to live by the MST3K mantra with regards to entertainment.

What is that? Well the show was (mostly) set in a spaceship and in the intro they had

"If you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts (La la la), just repeat to yourself it's just a show. I should really just relax".

Sometimes "you're overthinking it" is a valid counter point IMO.

Screamarie:
So all the time he would bring up the fact that I wasn't smiling or that I didn't seem to be having a good time.

God, I hate that. One of my best friends does it all the time, particularly when we're out - "Smile, chuckles!" or "Cheer up, might never happen!" randomly thrown in my direction whenever he feels like calling me out for not turning cartwheels from joy.

Just because I'm not smiling doesn't mean I'm miserable. This is my fucking face and this is how it looks. I'm not a grinning chimp. I do start to get pissed off and upset when someone draws attention to the fact, because then everyone you're with stares at you at if you're some moping freak rather than a person who doesn't particularly have anything to smile at right now.

Just shut up and enjoy the forum.
ok, bad joke.
i agree with you on this even if i meet this rarely. some people jut cant fathom why you dont like the things they like.

Sometimes "you're overthinking it" is a valid counter point IMO.

no its not. if that were true we would still live in caves.

Here's a nice piece of advice for you:

When they say "Just shut up and enjoy it", what they actually mean is "Just shut up".

They don't want to hear you moan about things they enjoy, and understandably so.

And why would you want to moan about things they enjoy in the first place? Does it make you feel better to bash on the things they like and you don't?

If they do things that you don't like, either roll with it, or do other things until they start doing something that you like again.

Two ways to look at it:

1) They're jealous of your tastes and want to sabotage you.

Oh wait. They're the same thing. That argument is made out of the fact that people don't understand your tastes or hobbies. It's a bullshit argument that people make.

Thinking about it, "shut up and enjoy it" is the core philosophy behind everything I play or watch.

I could go on about how overdramatic everything is in Code Geass or how super tall Bayonetta is (she would be the best basketball player ever) or how people don't shout and point fingers in court but y'know what? I LOVE things that are super melodramatic, weird, OTT and all that so the people who bitch about how silly Gurren Lagann's plot and action stuff was have tragically missed the point.

"WTF THAT ROBOT IS STANDING ON A GALAXY! GAH MY PHYSICS SENSES HURT!!!!"

Of course I dislike some mechanics and tropes and stuff (random child characters can fuck off) but I will unconsiously overlook all the little inconsistancies or plot holes in most things unless they are really freaking glaring.

People say Code Geass goes off the rails towards the end. I honestly can't see where they're coming from...

I doubt i've answered the question so some advice would be: Enjoy what you like, fuck everyone else but at least try to get into something new now and again

TheRightToArmBears:
I tried for years to get one of my friends (who was one of those 'TROO METULZ!' type metalheads) to give Slipknot a fair listen, with no success. We saw them at a festival a couple of years back and he's loved them ever since.

I saw them this past summer, and I'll probably never see a better show. I got to the front row after moshing my way through the crowd during the first few songs. I've loved that band for almost a decade, and that was my first time seeing them.

OT: One of my friends loses his patience pretty quickly when I mention how I don't like that a lot of modern video games either take after Gears of War or Call of Duty. I'm just tired of having to take cover behind chest-high walls in everything. I didn't buy any game that was released in 2012, and my PS2 has been getting more use than my PC and Xbox 360.

ImBigBob:
I don't like Big Bang Theory's portrayal of nerds, but it's a popular show so I should just shut up and enjoy it. I had friends tell me to stop complaining about how poorly designed Dragon Quest IX was because they were enjoying it, so why shouldn't I?

It's a pretty pathetic argument because it doesn't actually add anything to the conversation. I'm fine with others liking what they want, but they seem to view me as adversarial because I don't agree.

I think that the reason people are telling you to shut up and enjoy these things is because they enjoy them.

If you're going to point out all of these flaws to the people who watch the show and play the game, it can essentially be seen as you making an active effort to make them NOT enjoy these things. You say that you're fine with others liking things the way they want, however if you're pointing out all the flaws of everything, they might not see it that way.

Honestly, to me it just seems like people saying "I don't care that you don't like it, just stop trying to take it away from me".

Slightly off topic: I personally don't mind things that have a few plot holes, however I absolutely hate if something's riddled with plot holes for the sake of something. One example is Mirai Nikki.

So its goes like this:

1. You and a friend/s are watching/listening/doing/whatever. Some of you like it and some of you don't.

2. You express an opinion that says "i don't like this".

3. The people who do like it don't want you to spoil their fun and try to get you to shut it.

4. You get pissy because you don't like being told to shut it.

To me (as ridiculous as it may sound) it depends on who started it. If you did then you only have yourself to blame. If they did then they should mind their own fucking business and accept that they aren't a universal authority on everything. Simples.

Strazdas:

Sometimes "you're over-thinking it" is a valid counter point IMO.

The key phrase being SOMETIMES. If people NEVER over-thought things then yes we would still live in caves. But over-thinking "The Big Bang Theory" or Hooters or a Big Mac is kind of missing the point. There are some things in life that are meant to be enjoyable as they pass you by - not to be looked into with a microscopic level of depth/social importance/intelligence.

Everyone sometimes likes to switch off and just enjoy the whatever that exists at that moment - if you cant then you are seen (justifiably IMO) as a buzzkill.

Mr_Spanky:

Strazdas:

Sometimes "you're over-thinking it" is a valid counter point IMO.

The key phrase being SOMETIMES. If people NEVER over-thought things then yes we would still live in caves. But over-thinking "The Big Bang Theory" or Hooters or a Big Mac is kind of missing the point. There are some things in life that are meant to be enjoyable as they pass you by - not to be looked into with a microscopic level of depth/social importance/intelligence.

Everyone sometimes likes to switch off and just enjoy the whatever that exists at that moment - if you cant then you are seen (justifiably IMO) as a buzzkill.

Yeah, ok, i can agree with that.

SonicWaffle:

Screamarie:
So all the time he would bring up the fact that I wasn't smiling or that I didn't seem to be having a good time.

God, I hate that. One of my best friends does it all the time, particularly when we're out - "Smile, chuckles!" or "Cheer up, might never happen!" randomly thrown in my direction whenever he feels like calling me out for not turning cartwheels from joy.

Just because I'm not smiling doesn't mean I'm miserable. This is my fucking face and this is how it looks. I'm not a grinning chimp. I do start to get pissed off and upset when someone draws attention to the fact, because then everyone you're with stares at you at if you're some moping freak rather than a person who doesn't particularly have anything to smile at right now.

I know exactly what you mean. I honestly don't understand people that smile all the damn time. What the fuck are you smiling for? Nobody said anything funny, you're not the Joker, what's going on? Are you high? I mean if you're genuinely happy sure, whatever, sometimes your just having a good day...but just because you like to smile like a clown doesn't mean I do.

Course the best one I ever got was while I worked at movie gallery. I was 21 and a man who had to be at least 35 if not 40 told me "Smile, your prettier that way." And proceeded to hit on me, tell me I should be married, and then finishes up with "You should smile because Jesus loves you."....And I don't believe in the Christian faith.

fapper plain:
This thread is not about rape.

/disappoint.

I feel like a bastard but I laughed out loud when I read this.

---

I feel like if I complained about Girls Bravo I would get this. It seems to be a Haromcom (my favorite subgenre of anime!) but I can't get into it at all. It just seems...dirty to me somehow. Haromcom can be dirty what with the pantie-shots, cleavage, implied sex, implied orgies, implied-various-fetishes, etc...but something about Girls Bravo just seemed over the top and wrong.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked