So what do you use to clean out the dirt under your fingernails?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

While sitting around having a coffee and trying to study, I used the tip of my pen to get the junk out behind my fingernails. Then my pen died. Nails are nice and shiny though. So what do you guys use besides a proper nail cleaner clipping thing?

I actually don't use a tool for any nail grooming. I actually just use another nail for the task. When it comes to clipping, I just use my thumbnails. My toenails are the same story but I wait until right after a shower.

My fiancee is horrified by this.

My method is incredibly effective if somewhat unorthodox.

I have terribly thick hair that I keep cut short (never more than 2 inches in length). So when I wash my hair with shampoo and get my nails stuck in to my scalp my hair cleans my nails for me.

Since I wash my hair daily I don't actually need to clean my nails.

This is new...

Well, I use my nails to clean my nails. Surprisingly effective.

My pocket knife.

I use it for both cleaning and trimming. Tip for cleaning and the serrated section of the blade for trimming. It actually works really well.

One more for the "clean nails, using nails" group. Though I generally don't get a lot of dirt under there anyway.

My swiss army knife. The main blade and the file usually.

Either my other nail or that hook like shape thing on the file attach to the nail clipper.

I solve this by always having my nails ridiculously short. No nails, no dirt.

Besides the traditional, ever-so-useful nail cleaner clipping thing, I sometimes use these:

They're sterile and pointy!

Clipping them until there is nothing for dirt to get trapped under, and then washing my hands/feet.

Revnak:

Yep, me too, use dirt under them as a signal I have left too long between clippings.

Soap and a nailbrush.

I use a sewing needle... >.>

Though I tend to keep them pretty short anyway, but sometimes I'll forget to bite them down for a week or two. (I can't be arsed with trimmers for my hands, when my teeth are so readily available.)

I normally don't have any, but if I have a little of it, I use my teeth.

VeryOddGamer:
I normally don't have any, but if I have a little of it, I use my teeth.

...there goes my appetite.

I'm also one who uses their own nails, except about half of the dirt gets trapped behind that nail, so you keep swapping nails till it's all gone.

Well that's something I never thought I would share.

Odd thread, this.

I use the bit on my nail clippers that is designed specifically for the purpose of cleaning nails. As one would epxpect, it excels at its role.

More often than not....I use my pocket knife. It's not overly sharp so I'm not worried about doing damage and it works quite well.

I use a toothpick. None of my nails get long enough to clean the others, and toothpicks are just the right size.

If I can't find a toothpick, though, a guitar pick takes its place.

If you take a shower and wash your hair you don't have to clean your nails.... Washing your hair does it for you. The hair acts as a nail brush and so I have never once cleaned my nails outside of taking a shower

I keep a pair of clippers on my desk as that's usually where I am when I notice my nails could use some attention. They have a pointed side to them, I use that.

the doom cannon:
If you take a shower and wash your hair you don't have to clean your nails.... Washing your hair does it for you. The hair acts as a nail brush and so I have never once cleaned my nails outside of taking a shower

Is that what that is? I opened this thread realising I haven't actually had to clean my nails for years, and it must be that because I wash/condition every morning. The more you know.

If it's an emergency (like I'm going from a day in the woods to work in the evening) I'll just wash my hands thoroughly at work and get the worst of it out with another nail, usually does the job.

knife tip usually. Its quite effective and I can use the blade for minor trimming as well.

I don't let them get long enough to need cleaning.

Revnak:

Same here.

Pretty certain I have them shorter than they are "supposed" to be, but hey it saves me the trouble of having to clean them.

my own nails usually, and then I clip my nails, done.

I don't get dirt under my fingernails. I am a privileged motherfucker who doesn't use my hands to work with. Actually I grew up on a farm so I have used to wash with water soap and a nail brush, but these days I don't get dirt under my nails since I no longer do farm work. On those rare occasions though I use the nail clipper, cutting my nails usually work, if not it got this nail cleaning tool too. It's very effective.

I guess I use my other nails sometimes, but simply washing my hands thoroughly will usually get it all out.

My leatherman's bottle opener.
Which works surprisingly well!

I claw into bar soap a little and clean them with water. It's pretty effective, though I've never heard of anyone else doing it...

...I think I was drawn to this thread just because I like finally not having a controversial topic to discuss...

I use *gasp* my nails to clean my nails.

I don't, I chew my nails pretty much to the point of bleeding, so there really is nothing for dirt to get stuck under :S

Lilani:
I don't, I chew my nails pretty much to the point of bleeding, so there really is nothing for dirt to get stuck under :S

Yup... it's a hard habit to drop -.-

Well I tend to get rather inventive with mine. I grew up on a farm, and I tend to be rather "outdoorsy", so I get massive amounts of dirt under my nails (combined with dead skin cells, as when I sweat it tickles me and I scratch at it). If there is nothing in sight to do the job I will use my own nails, this tends to run at about a 7/10 effectiveness. It is effective until the last nail, then it turns into a race to see which nail will finally be the true last nail. If I am inside or at work, I tend to use either thin pieces of cardboard or paper. I will fold them into an acute angle and then use that to clean my nails. This works especially well as it eventually begins to fatten up and clean better and better as I go (you have to clean it off between nails though, this works at around a 9/10. If I want to ensure cleanness I will take a shower. This is by far the most common way I clean them. Taking a shower and washing my hair leaves my nails sparkling clean, I give this method a 10/10 (unless it is really cold, I don't use a heater and it gets rather chilly in my house).

I have a large Rambo-like knife that I use.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked