Guns are Good

Pages 1 2 NEXT

okay now how can I start this off...

shooters of these schools are the real victims!

" what the hell are you talking about kids died- " blah blah blah blah look people its not the guns okay you can give a mental idiot a handgun and thats 6 kids right there okay?

I'm getting really fed up with theses talks of "giving up guns" okay thats not going to stop the violence
lets pretend guns are banned forever. guess what a year from now you'll hear

"BREAKING NEWS"

A 17 year student Dan Simon used a Ax and cut up 6 kids in his class room he was trying to get back at the kids who bullied him and since no guns were used we have body parts all over the floor it was a horrible event... "
next thing you know you'll get people protesting and getting rid of every sharp object they have.

see my point?

its not the GUNS its the PEOPLE! these people are constantly messed with and have no outlet for there frustration and don't give me that " well we talked to his friends Dora said he was feeling alittle down but she didn't think he do this " bulls@$@ if your friends with that person you need to take them seriously, really stick to them like glue so they can feel secure , there hurt, scared, want someone close , someone to defend them against these assho*** in schools, strenght in numbers people! if these metal break downs waiting to happen had someone by there side maybe we wouldn't have these shootings in the first place.

even the brain dead teachers don't do anything to me in the last few months even all last year teachers seem to be either pedos or child molesters and or having under aged sex, and to me in job interviews no one notices this?

" hello, what makes you think you'll be good for teaching the children of our next generation "

"uhh well... I have a loving passion for the children eheh "

" great your hired! "

yeah.. if the people interviewing this idiots were more aware of a persons behavior maybe we wouldn't have this problem.

but really I don't blame the teachers as much as I do blame the shooters friends, or family, how the F$$$ did you not see this taking place, this is the main problem with everyone no one wants to take a stand against anyone, everyone thinks there helpless without a gun or some kind of backing order.. reality check people when guns didn't exist what did we do? beat each other with sticks or fist fights YOU have other means of fighting don't be such a pussy and fight back! you can't carry a gun to protect yourself but the school won't get on you for carrying a damn baseball bat protect yourself by any means just not with a gun, a group comes at you just start swing rapidly let them fall over with broken hips and shins and clam it was self defense or better yet a tazzer one shock and they'll be on there knees crying.

" but then you'll get suspended " yeah but at least no one got killed! you have a right to protect yourself! you have a right to fight back against others that are trying to hurt you!, but if your life is NOT in danger do NOT kill alright!

so anyone out there in schools who may be suffering from these problems just carry a baseball bat do a few practice swings outside the school gate and I guarantee people will not mess with you

and for those who see friends acting alittle bit off then normal or see them being teased or bullied BE a Damn friend and Defend them this goes or women too I don't care how weak you think you are, I don't care how old that person is you back your friends up! okay! remember if no one is not by you when you need it the most there not your friend. just an acquaintance.

and shifting gears for a moment

I think we can all agree we've sick of the media telling us games caused the shooting as well
so I don't need to get steamed about that but have you noticed, no one blames the media

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year nonstop media of rape, murder, theft, killings etc these things are broadcasted on a daily bases TV, Radio,computer,newspaper everywhere you look but no lets not point fingers at them lets blame video games, something that is not real.

but all honesty though my theory theirs too much money involved to blame the media we cant shut them down god forbid we need the news what would be the world without news,
you know what ...

news is politics
news is weird weather changes
news is hearing that some doubebag store owner wanted to raise prices in the meat market to pay off his car insurance

this is news but no we all know the deal everyone wants ratings for there show but wait if your looking for ratings that means you need to boost something exciting that will get people to watch... hmm so what would be so exciting that it would get people to come to our station day after day night after night for years?

needless to say

EDIT omgosh you know what pay no mind to this I throw out these curve ball topics because no one talks about them its all either " what do you think about dantes new hair" or " how many girls have you dated the past 10 years" you know...stupid crap!

then I try to post something interesting most of you can't get past my spelling or just plain nit pick my topic of choice well you know whatever done here, ever wonder why Yahtzee calls everyone a retard or idiots or every other mean thing its because dealing with idiots all day will do that to you so go on to the next topic someone posted about another shooting somewhere... people

Don't know about you but if I had to pick between the crazy Ax killer and the crazy gunman I'd pick the former.

Good luck to him/her chasing me whilst carrying around that thing, I'll be two streets over heading towards the nearest police station with all my guts still intact.

Against a gunman... well... I'm probably screwed.

Why did you make this thread.

No, I don't actually want to know.

I don't think anyone is blaming the guns for what screwed-up people do with them. It's just that people make a false equivalency that stricter gun laws = less guns = less violence. Which disregards people who would find alternative weapons, and all of the people who aren't using legal guns to begin with. Also, some crazy people can be startlingly adept at hiding their crazy.

As for whatever else you've said in your post, it's far too rambly for me to make out, I can't tell if you're defending or demonizing the people who snap, and you go on a non-sequitur about media pushing forward an agenda, which is pretty obvious to anyone who's given a passing glance at Fox News.

Hmmm.

I think the obvious flaw in your argument here is that it's a lot harder (and slower) to kill someone with an axe than a gun. You almost certainly wouldn't have as high death tolls without guns because you can't stab someone at a distance.

Don't quite know where all the 'BANNING OUR GUNZ!!' outcry is coming from lately.

RESTRICTING is the word we're looking at here. Not banning entirely. You honestly think I need a fully-automatic combat assault rifle for... anything? Nope? Well then we have an accord! Will violence cease to exist? Not at all, but hopefully the scale and frequency of such tragedies can be hampered by taking certain measures with gun distribution.

And I think most people on these forums are intelligent enough to know it's the person, and not necessarily the gun that causes the deaths. It would be downright hypocritical to suggest such a thing for all the 'games are not the cause' professing that goes on here.

shrekfan246:
I don't think anyone is blaming the guns for what screwed-up people do with them. It's just that people make a false equivalency that stricter gun laws = less guns = less violence. Which disregards people who would find alternative weapons

I think the chain of logic is more like - less gins = if people do find other weapons, they would be easier to defend from. At least that's how I always got it.

shrekfan246:
Why did you make this thread.

No, I don't actually want to know.

But yeah, mostly this. Who looks at the Escapist and goes "You know what the forums here need? More threads about guns!" what's the thought process that results with that conclusion, I wander?

EDIT: I just answered myself. I looked at the name of the OP...yeah - it's the guy that brings us controversial threads every once in a while, like Why all the hate or everything is not SEXY.

Move along people, nothing new to see here.

slypizza:

I'm getting really fed up with theses talks of "giving up guns" okay thats not going to stop the violence
lets pretend guns are banned forever. guess what a year from now you'll hear

"BREAKING NEWS"

A 17 year student Dan Simon used a Ax and cut up 6 kids in his class room he was trying to get back at the kids who bullied him and since no guns were used we have body parts all over the floor it was a horrible event... "
next thing you know you'll get people protesting and getting rid of every sharp object they have.

see my point?

No. We dont see that here in England. Its totally false that this will happen since it doesnt anywhere with illegal guns. Sorry. You have WAY more mass killings per capita.

That said i think guns are neutral. Its good we dont have them here in England. Its good you guys hang on to them for now. You need guns to defend from illegal guns. As an Island with a small gun culture we dont need them to defend from illegal guns since its damn hard here in England. Not so in America.

Did we really need a bazillionth gun thread?

DoPo:

EDIT: I just answered myself. I looked at the name of the OP...yeah - it's the guy that brings us controversial threads every once in a while, like Why all the hate or everything is not SEXY.

Move along people, nothing new to see here.

I did have an actual response to this, but given as you've shown it seems to be controversy for controversy's sake I won't bother with it. At least it means I don't have to type nearly as much =P

slypizza:
Snip

1) I see a crazy guy with an axe: i start yelling help and run away. Unless he's a marathon runner i win. I see a gunman, oh look he saw me *bam* i'm dead. Well that was fun? See: range matters. And not everyone can throw axes like in videogames or movies and if they were to throw their axes they'd be disarmed and easy to subdue.
Regardless of how you twist it Guns are much more dangerous than other "weapons".

2) In case you didn't know the mother was killed in the Newtown rampage. She probably tried to stop him and he didn't like it so he killed her. (i may be wrong here, i don't have a lot on info on how she died but that's my guess)

You are superficially right in that there is another huge correlatory influence to school shootings that isn't guns: Mental health. This doesn't absolve the blame that has been attributed to the ease of gun access America has, but it does hint that there is more than just one factor at play here.

slypizza:

but really I don't blame the teachers as much as I do blame the shooters friends, or family, how the F$$$ did you not see this taking place, this is the main problem with everyone no one wants to take a stand against anyone,

The thing is that people do notice the deteriorated mental state of their family and friends, and these people have gone for help in the past, most school shooters were suffering from some sort of depression and an unignorable huge number were on anti-depressant drugs:

http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?p=school

Everyone seems to be ignoring this to blame guns, videogames and lack of guns. They shouldn't.

The highest cause of death among 18-30 year old Caucasian males is suicide. Something is badly wrong with our society, and it's not centred around the media, videogames, or guns; it's our mental health, and when Obama is announcing all this research and legal amendments if we overlook mental health issues then this will just happen again and again and again.

This is the third time you've posted a long rant with poor grammar, punctuation and spelling.
Please, check your grammar, punctuation and spelling next time. Having to read something that poorly written is a pain.

(Semi)Automatic weapons are banned here and not only have we not had an axe massacre since they were banned, we haven't had a massacre fullstop. Obviously it would not be as simple in the US purely for the sheer volume of firearms owned by you people, but the point stands. You can blame people and mental illness all you like but at the end of the day if you hand a tradie a hammer, some nails and wood, he can probably build you a nice shelf; hand a crazy person a gun? He will probably kill people.

Also, when Australia banned assault weapons and put toucher restrictions on all firearms we did not descend into anarchy and the earth continued to revolve around the sun. Just saying.

Hero in a half shell:

The highest cause of death among 18-30 year old Caucasian males is suicide. Something is badly wrong with our society, and it's not centred around the media, videogames, or guns; it's our mental health, and when Obama is announcing all this research and legal amendments if we overlook mental health issues then this will just happen again and again and again.

No its not? I mean i agree with you in principle but when i read this i was appalled. Was it REALLY THIS BAD?! I was shocked. Thankfully its lower than 51%.

Its 12% from the age 15-24 and 10% from the age 25 to 44.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus10.pdf

Still DAMN high though. The important thing ISNT to blame the mentally ill or make it seem like every one is a time bomb. The important thing is to realize that mentally ill people who are looking for help need to feel like they are welcome to come and take it without fear AND that said help will be comprehensive and caring. I feel like this might result in a mentally ill person witch hunt. Which would suck.

BiscuitTrouser:

Hero in a half shell:

No its not? I mean i agree with you in principle but when i read this i was appalled. Was it REALLY THIS BAD?! I was shocked. Thankfully its lower than 51%.

Its 12% from the age 15-24 and 10% from the age 25 to 44.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus10.pdf

Still DAMN high though. The important thing ISNT to blame the mentally ill or make it seem like every one is a time bomb. The important thing is to realize that mentally ill people who are looking for help need to feel like they are welcome to come and take it without fear AND that said help will be comprehensive and caring. I feel like this might result in a mentally ill person witch hunt. Which would suck.

Sorry, I didn't mean highest as in higher than all other causes put together, I meant highest as in largest single cause, but I double checked the figures myself and it's actually the second highest cause of death in males 15-34 (the highest cause of death for those years is "unintentional injuries", which is incredibly broad.)

In 2004 white males that died aged 15-34 had a 15.6% - 17.1% rate of suicide
http://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2004/04white.pdf

In 2006 white males that died aged 15-34 had a 14.7% - 15.6% rate of suicide
http://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2006/WhiteMales2006.pdf

In 2007 it was 14.8 - 16.7%
http://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2007/WhiteMales2007.pdf

In 2008 it was 16.4% to 17%
http://www.cdc.gov/men/lcod/2008/LCOD_whitemen2008.pdf

Every single time suicide is consistently second only to the broad category of "unintentional injuries" which is a very broad category.

I don't know if getting better mental health care would stop or reduce school shootings, I don't know how anyone could implement an effective improvement of mental health care that would actually make a noticeable improvement in the health of these people, and I don't have the faintest idea of the role (if any) these depression drugs that so many public shooters had taken, but in my opinion it's a correlation that shouldn't be ignored.

Guns are neither good or bad, they are simply necessary. People who ignore this point are either thinking too much into the subject, or are simply trying to start a shit storm.

DrunkenMonkey:
Guns are neither good or bad, they are simply necessary. People who ignore this point are either thinking too much into the subject, or are simply trying to start a shit storm.

Necessary for what? Against other guns?

YES! I finally get a chance to use this

DrunkenMonkey:
Guns are neither good or bad, they are simply necessary.

I like this. To extend on it a bit, everybody has an opinion on how we deal with the issues guns cause. However, it's all situational. Does somebody with little education and a criminal record or mental illness need a gun, no. Does a good citizen living in the wrong part of town need a gun to protect themselves? of course they do. Unfortuneatly the negative actions of a few cause everyone to feel the consequences. Though I do believe we are going about this the wrong way by outlawing certain guns and a magazine limit. Why not just a MUCH stricter process of licensing for gun ownership? That being said, I feel like you are targeting a demographic with your post that (if they act as you say) are just a vocal, uneducated minority if that's how arguments are conducted. There is no black and white right or wrong answer with this.

Eh. Look, this argument, "You could do the same with an axe or a knife!" is flawed.

A gun is an efficient, deadly, projectile weapon. You need little to no training to kill an unsuspecting person at point blank range, and it requires very little effort on your part. Which is easier, pulling a trigger, or using physical strength to stab, slash or cudgel someone?

I tried to look up your Dan Simmon thing and couldn't find it, but again, I got the feeling that the most people you could kill if you started swinging an axe in public is probably a lot less than the number you could kill with a hundred round drum magazine. You're probably less likely to sustain a life threatening injury too if someone swings an axe at you than if someone shoots you anyway.

Regardless, the other part of the argument is flawed too. There isn't anyway to keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible people. How are you going to check for the depression, psychopathy, etc required to go on a shooting rampage? How are you going to check that the person isn't an idiot that ventilates their own head (like the Florida dude who shot himself)?

Finally, there is very little serious discussion of taking away all guns.

Two unarmed people could easily take down one person armed with an ax.
A person with a gun can easily take down one person for each bullet in their clip before they pause to reload and get tackled.

am i the only one who is getting fed up with all the gun threads on the escapist?

Not Matt:
am i the only one who is getting fed up with all the gun threads on the escapist?

No. I only come here once in awhile, but every time I do, there's always a new thread about guns.

Surely by that logic the UK should be rife with axe murderers? Since we dont have guns and all.. I sense this post is a troll so I'll be on my way

Not Matt:

Am I the only one getting fed up with people on the internet, in the middle of millions of users, asking if they're the only one?

Firearms aren't going to go away. Laws only work if everyone respect them, and do you think a bullied kid, an enraged ex, a robber or a mugger is going to go "Hmm, y'know... this is illegal."

You can limit them, of course, but it won't limit violence. People who want to kill other people will always find a way.

Fimbulvetr3822:
YES! I finally get a chance to use this

I am not biting this time. Instead, I'm going to post a nice, relaxing song to cool everyone's heads.

Or I would do if this blasted thing would work.

slypizza:

"BREAKING NEWS"

see my point?

Provably wrong.

When a crazy person goes on a killing spree with a gun, dozens die.

When a crazy person goes on a killing spree with a melee weapon, MAYBE one or two die, several are injured. Usually several are injured but survive.

Melee weapons do less damage, less quickly, and are easier to disarm from an assailant.

Guns kill faster than melee weapons - much faster, from much further away. That's what guns are FOR. That's why guns replaced bows and swords as the war weapon of choice.

NOW... that said, I don't believe in full gun control. I don't want to take anyone's guns away.

I do believe that a gun should be just as difficult to get as a Car, however. Cars kill people too, so we have a long, difficult process to get one. Gun licenses should be just as hard to get as Drivers Licenses. Guns should also require insurance like Cars.

Just making guns as hard to get as Cars would help keep them out of the hands of minor crazies. Not criminals - black market sucks that way - but random teenagers would be a start. And, to be fair, criminals don't do school shootings - random teenagers do school shootings.

DrunkenMonkey:

...What? "guns are necessary" - if you meant armed forces or jobs which require them then you can ignore the following

You're right I totally need a gun to go to work, eat food I buy from a supermarket, wake up every morning and spend time with people. Without a gun how would I go about my basic life?

There is too little need for a gun in the average life to warrant gun laws. If the weren't legal in countries like America...why would you need one? It's a vicious cycle - someone could own a gun and make me feel threatened... better get one myself.

You could say "well it's the second amendment, we're allowed to own guns", yeah for the sake of a MILITIA for homeland security, not your own personal use

Why I'm in support of guns staying legalized (albeit put under safer restrictions to keep them out of the hands of crazy people), your argument was so full of fallacies and slippery slope examples that I felt a bit conflicted on how to respond. Also, that kind of went into a media-tangent near the end, which was kind of weird.

But the penis is bad? Cause the gun shoots death but the penis shoots life? Or something?

LooK iTz Jinjo:
(Semi)Automatic weapons are banned here and not only have we not had an axe massacre since they were banned, we haven't had a massacre fullstop. Obviously it would not be as simple in the US purely for the sheer volume of firearms owned by you people, but the point stands. You can blame people and mental illness all you like but at the end of the day if you hand a tradie a hammer, some nails and wood, he can probably build you a nice shelf; hand a crazy person a gun? He will probably kill people.

Also, when Australia banned assault weapons and put toucher restrictions on all firearms we did not descend into anarchy and the earth continued to revolve around the sun. Just saying.

Actually, no, semi-automatic weapons are legally available to civilians in Australia, provided they have the correct licence, which is very difficult to get, and you need to renew them every 6 or 12 months. And then you have to find someone to sell you their weapon, because they aren't really imported.

Australian law doesn't recognise the assault weapon as a definition, there's semi-auto rimfire rifle with <=10 rounds magazine (category C); or semi-auto centrefire rifle (semi-auto rimfire rifle with >=10 rounds magazine), which is Category D.

I don't know what you'd want a Category C rifle for, personally.

Karathos:

Am I the only one getting fed up with people on the internet, in the middle of millions of users, asking if they're the only one?

Well that's because the person feel like he or she is the only one when they are being buried in a sea of. In this example. Gun talk.

Karathos:

Firearms aren't going to go away. Laws only work if everyone respect them, and do you think a bullied kid, an enraged ex, a robber or a mugger is going to go "Hmm, y'know... this is illegal."

You can limit them, of course, but it won't limit violence. People who want to kill other people will always find a way.

Yes. There is nobody disagreeing with that. Sadly people will still try to find ways to kill. But if we can ban or limit the tools then we can put up stoppers for them and there's a bigger chance they'll give up and go do something better with their life. And that's atleast a step in the right direction

slypizza:

its not the GUNS its the PEOPLE!

Guns don't kill people, people kill people!
Cameras don't take pictures, pictures take pictures!
Toasters don't toast toast, toast toasts toast!

Look, you can say kids'll hack other kids to death with an axe, but it's along the same reasoning lines as the argument that was made about that football player who killed himself and his girlfriend, that said he could have also strangled her, then hung himself. The problem is, choking or chopping someone to death takes either years of abuse, or a seriously unhealthy mind. For someone to shoot someone dead takes one muscle and a bad year, week, or day maybe. There's an efficient disconnect between the killer and the victim that only guns create.
Guns instantly give their owners power over whether the people around them live or die, and a lot of people can't handle that power without using it. A depressed high school student who had a shitty week would have a pretty tough time on a stabbing spree against his or her bullies, but a pistol or rifle lying around the house would make short work of a classroom.

slypizza:

EDIT omgosh you know what pay no mind to this I throw out these curve ball topics because no one talks about them its all either " what do you think about dantes new hair" or " how many girls have you dated the past 10 years" you know...stupid crap!

Blatant lie right there.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.398738-Poll-american-only-gun-poll
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.398559-Poll-Lets-pretend-the-government-passes-a-law-stating-that-you-cant-have-a-gun-anymore
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.398396-People-should-stop-protecting-guns

This is just some of the threads discussing guns posted in the last couple of weeks. There are a lot for game discussions here too, but you know, this is a gaming site. Now you can pretend that no-one discuss these things and that you're a hero for finally making us discuss something important, but one of the threads I linked to is currently on page 15.

Now people complain about the lengthy rant riddled with TERRIBLE spelling and grammar, but also because this is the millionth time the subject is discussed. Now some helpful advice for you would be to make your posts shorter and more coherent. Every point you're trying to make is lost along the way.

Also guns aren't the cause for violence, there's work to be done besides making gun laws safer. Both in mental health, changes in school systems, economic structure and social services. However you can mention one incident where 6 people were slaughtered with an axe. I can mention one incident where 67 persons were shot to death in open landscape. 6 people were killed in a secluded class room, but on an island such as the incident I mention he'd have to work hard to get more than 2 or 3. A semi automatic rifle yielded 72 victims.

Kukakkau:

DrunkenMonkey:

...What? "guns are necessary" - if you meant armed forces or jobs which require them then you can ignore the following

You're right I totally need a gun to go to work, eat food I buy from a supermarket, wake up every morning and spend time with people. Without a gun how would I go about my basic life?

There is too little need for a gun in the average life to warrant gun laws. If the weren't legal in countries like America...why would you need one? It's a vicious cycle - someone could own a gun and make me feel threatened... better get one myself.

You could say "well it's the second amendment, we're allowed to own guns", yeah for the sake of a MILITIA for homeland security, not your own personal use

Your snarky comment aside, would you say civilians do not need guns then? Define "personal use" then? You read too much into the necessary part and ignored missed the point of my post. Reread it as a whole, then ask yourself the need to label guns as good or bad? As what you almost did...

While a knife, axe, crowbar, cat or kitchen sink may be used for killing people, they have other purposes.

A gun was designed to be a weapon to kill and makes killing easier.

Also the second amendment is riddiculusly outdated

DrunkenMonkey:

Kukakkau:

DrunkenMonkey:

Your snarky comment aside, would you say civilians do not need guns then? Define "personal use" then? You read too much into the necessary part and ignored missed the point of my post. Reread it as a whole, then ask yourself the need to label guns as good or bad? As what you almost did...

No civilians do not need guns, unless there job specifically requires them (farmer, ghillie, things like that). Or you live so far from society you need to hunt for your food to live. Do you yourself find a need for a gun in your daily life? Something tells me the answer is no.

Personal use? Possession of it to protect yourself when you don't need it? Having it sit in a drawer because you can? Unless you're part of a certified group such as a militia/career it's personal possession. Which is what the 2nd ammendment is MEANT to be for, but screw it lets just skew it's meaning so everyone can have one.

You said guns were neither good or bad, okay nukes and bio weapons aren't good or bad. They are weapons too. Let's give them to the general public? Actually since you can get guns without training too should we give out knifes at school assemblies? They have the right too

You say I read too much into it? How? The US is practically the only country to have these large scale gun massacres and so frequently. But it's not because they allow next to anyone to have guns, no sir. I mean no country without gun laws can manage..oh wait many can.

The only plausible reason for a civilian to need a gun is...to protect themselves from guns. Yes people die from knives and axes etc but how much harder do you think it is to do that and get away with it. You lack any range, the chance to be subtle and get away without people seeing your face. Someone breaks into your house? Well you know where everything that can be used as a weapon for defence is kept (kitchen knives, bats, clubs, weights)

And yes my post was snarky - you posted 2 lines of statements with no reasoning for them and I can't help but notice others have quoted you doing the same.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked