Lying About A Girlfriend's Death to Get National Publicity

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I'm not sure how many of you are sports fans, but this is a pretty messed up scenario. What kind of sick person lies about a girlfriend's death to garner sympathy from American people?

I can only imagine had he won the Heisman, what his acceptance speech would have been like. People are talking about him losing draft spots because of it, it's insane.

while i have no idea who the guy is its a good example of journalists not doing their job properly and forgetting to do basic fact checking of a story

I don't know anything about the player (NFL is the only football I follow) but he'd better be a-fucking-mazing or else he's never going to get drafted (and since he's a Heisman trophy runner-up, I have to assume he's good).

Since he is amazing, he'll get drafted. He might lose some draft spots due to character issues but if he's good, he'll play. The NFL is filled with "character issues" but as long as they're good, we don't care.

SgtMcgee23:
What kind of sick person lies about a girlfriend's death to garner sympathy from American people?

This has been a staple of message board trolls in forums I've followed for as long as there has been an Internet. It was only a matter of time before the trick ended up offline...

Reading more about this on ESPN and official releases from Notre Dame, it's just even weirder.

Notre Dame is saying this is just a hoax being played on him, but it would take an extremely dedicated team to talk to him every night on the phone and such. It's a crazy story.

SgtMcgee23:
Reading more about this on ESPN and official releases from Notre Dame, it's just even weirder.

Notre Dame is saying this is just a hoax being played on him, but it would take an extremely dedicated team to talk to him every night on the phone and such. It's a crazy story.

Sounds to me like he met a girl online, she pretended to be someone she wasn't, and when their relationship got too far along, she panicked and looked for a way out of it.

Aris Khandr:

SgtMcgee23:

Sounds to me like he met a girl online, she pretended to be someone she wasn't, and when their relationship got too far along, she panicked and looked for a way out of it.

Huh, I didn't think of it like that, I guess that's a possibility. I guess that could explain why the picture she used was of someone else.

But either way he still lied about, it says Notre Dame informed him Dec. 26 that it was a hoax, but then he goes on to say in a Jan. 3 interview that she was still dead.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked