Stupidist things youve heard people say

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I dont mean this to be a hate thread...people both smart and dumb somtimes say the most hilarious things

my example is from my mum a couple of days ago....we were in the city and I met up with her and dad after visiting the comicbook store, I took one out while we were waiting for my brother and she casually asked

"do you read them?"

I had to pause and then say "no...I throw them in the trash" she then said "well I dont know mabye you just looked at the pictures" she then addmitted it was a pretty dumb thing to say

"Where is the flame" said my 20 year old step daughter when I turned on the electric oven.

One of my classmates said that lightning came from the ground, and was adamant about it even after being shown a video of it striking from the sky.

"Wait, Julius Caesar was real?! I thought he was a Shakespearean character!"

I shit you not, a girl in my high school English class said that.

Dangit2019:
One of my classmates said that lightning came from the ground, and was adamant about it even after being shown a video of it striking from the sky.

You know, he's not technically wrong. Lightning is formed from "leaders" that travel up and down at the same time, and when they meet, we get the bright flash of lightning, which does normally go from cloud to ground.

There is also ground to cloud lightning sometimes though, from tall buildings.

I'll paraphrase it: "If we move the PC to the next room, would we still have all our files on it?" - this might have been the stupidest question I've been asked. I don't think it's the actual stupidest thing, I've heard though - yeah, some people aren't that good with technology (even though these ones had a PC for more than a year...) but I recall somebody in school was answering questions in a biology class and said that one...I dunno, thing (I think it was some sort of worm) lived in wet water only. And another classmate of mine on a Maths exam, had to calculate what was the volume of a barrel 2 metres high and 1 metre in diameter. He got half a litre and apparently he was satisfied with that answer.

While discussing the Australian military with a female friend of mine, she asked why we had the royal Australian navy and the royal Australian air force but not a Royal Australian army. In itself this was a far question and the answer that we all agreed upon was that some corps of the Australian army have not been granted the title Royal and the force cannot take the title until all of them have it. For contrast, Royal Australian Armored Corps to Australian Corps of intelligence.

She then asked why intelligence did not have the title, itself a fair question that me and my friends did not know the answer too. One of them had heard an old wives tale that it was because the queen did not approve of gentlemen snooping about, which, whether it was true or not, was at least deemed interesting.

She then took that notion and asked if that was the same reason that the CIA was not the Royal CIA, which was not a fair question.

Rawne1980:
"Where is the flame" said my 20 year old step daughter when I turned on the electric oven.

I could see someone being confused if they have never heard of a electric stove before. I mean I have never used a electric stove yet and I am 23.

Bullies saying bully things. Nothing is more stupid to me than when a person puts another person down for no reason. Bullies in highschool are among the the stupidest people I have ever encountered, the things they say make me laugh at them. A hate filled, laugh of menace.

DoPo:
I'll paraphrase it: "If we move the PC to the next room, would we still have all our files on it?" - this might have been the stupidest question I've been asked.

Haha, thanks for that one. Made me laugh!

I was trying to hit on this cute girl who was wearing a Green Lantern shirt and the conversation went just like this:

Me: "I like your shirt, are you really into Green Lantern?"

Her: "Yeah!"

Me: "Who's your favorite Green Lantern?"

Her: "Ryan Reynolds."

Two things my (28 yr old) girlfriend said. "do calves come out of a cows ass? And "do dogs nipples only appear when pregnant?" Otherwise shes a genius.

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but...

"A fish is not animal, it's a fish!"

This was from a fully grown adult.

Me ,my girlfriend and a friend of mine were chilling at my house . My friend just got extentions in her hair . My girlfriend told her it looked good and asked the dumbest question .

" Did they tie the extention to your hair or stitch it to your head?"

She was serious . This is a woman who is 31 years of age , and has been to the hairdresser numerous time . My friend , being polite said it was tied to her hair . Me , i look at my friend and say :" this , this is my girlfriend ".

"That 99% thing is bullshit, there's nobody going hungry on the streets"
"I just can't imagine myself being anybody but me, because I like being me"

Both of these were spoken by the same individual talking to a friend while at the bus-stop on two separate days (about a year ago). A lad of about 17/18 if I were to guess. If I recall, school was full of people saying stupid things all the time...in fact, I'd imagine that there are far too many examples for me to really choose from.

I guess I had a friend at one point (in response to if he had ever made an Irish Cream) say;
"I can't make cream, I'm not a farmer".

Dangit2019:

He was right. Ground-to-cloud lightning is a thing. It's documented.

Don't be so quick to judge if you are no expert yourself.

Anything political outside of an actual debate. Doesn't matter what it is about or if I agree with it, most of the time people try to sound superior and belittle the input of those that may disagree with them. It often is less about trying to make an argument that could change people's minds and more about proving themselves right. That is why I generally don't talk politics, if only because I prefer to debate properly, as equals, instead of the resentful shouting matches that generally result from most "discussions."

Captcha: dueling banjos

If only it could be so easily solved...

I remember I was at the zoo years ago and there were a couple of girls who had to be at least in their late teens looking at a display containing poison dart frogs, and I heard one of them seriously ask "How do they throw darts?"

I've probably heard stupider things than this, but it comes to mind.

One man once asked me: "How long does it take to upload a video on Youtube?"
Me: "This is the most stupid thing I've ever read."
He: "Why?"
Me: "This is the second most stupid thing I've ever read."

I feel bad because she was genuinely nice but one time in class, I mentioned Hanukkah was coming up and the girl next to me said, "I wish I was Hanukkan so I could celebrate Hanukkah."

Pretty much whenever someone says "Wait, [insert fictional event here] was real?!?!? OMG". Most commonly, Titanic. It just makes me ponder why we've somehow got 7 Billion+ people still alive.

"What's Germany?" - Justin Bieber
"I didn't know the world was round!" - Random Host on The View
"What's the point of studying history they're all dead anyway" - A girl on the school bus several months ago
"Who's Kurt Cobain?" - Girl on facebook who had a Nirvana shirt on in her Display Picture.

There are much worse ones but they all compound into one now.

his1nightmare:

I don't see how that is a stupid question. The answer would be "It depends on the quality and the length of the video, then factor in to it the speed of your internet connection."

The question was likely from a position of ignorance as how to computers and the internet works, not stupidity.

Driving to work one day this conversation took place when discussing adoption and homosexuality on the radio.

"I think homosexuality is just as bad as incest for the child!"
"Why do you think that, sir?"
"For a start the Bible teaches us that we are all children of god and started with Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."
"You do realise that Adam and Eve supposedly had only two sons, right?"
"Yeah, so?"
"What were you saying about incest and homosexuality before?"
"That they're both as bad!" - This is when the presenter let a laugh out but contained himself quite quickly.
"You don't see how Genesis might put a fly in that particular ointment?"
"It was Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve! It wasn't gay! They were married! Man and woman! How God intended!"
"And they had two sons. Who, in order to have more children, must have had sex with..?" - At this time the presenter was struggling to contain his chuckles.
"Women! Their wives!" - Presenter couldn't stop himself here and just burst out laughing.
"I will not stand for you making fun of God's plan! You should all be ashamed! This place will go to Hell, just you see!" - and he hung up.

Vault101:
I dont mean this to be a hate thread...people both smart and dumb somtimes say the most hilarious things

my example is from my mum a couple of days ago....we were in the city and I met up with her and dad after visiting the comicbook store, I took one out while we were waiting for my brother and she casually asked

"do you read them?"

I had to pause and then say "no...I throw them in the trash" she then said "well I dont know mabye you just looked at the pictures" she then addmitted it was a pretty dumb thing to say

So, what you're saying is you just look at the pictures.

"What's armor?", said my boss when I was talking about my Halloween costume.

She's cool, though.

Also, "What do you mean this game is $5.25! It clearly says here it's $4.99!" We're in Texas, by the way, and this guy didn't look like a foreigner.

I've also met a lot of people at work who have asked me plenty of dumb questions but not because they're as dumb as dirt, but because they probably didn't know any better. Things such as "Do you have a Mario game for the PS3?" and "What's DLC?". So that's all I got so far.

his1nightmare:

Did the man ask you or were you reading something? Not clear on this one. Or maybe the two remarks you said to the man were the stupidest things you've ever heard.

IFS:
I remember I was at the zoo years ago and there were a couple of girls who had to be at least in their late teens looking at a display containing poison dart frogs, and I heard one of them seriously ask "How do they throw darts?"

I've probably heard stupider things than this, but it comes to mind.

Ya, ya, pretty funny. But come on, seriously tell us: How do they throw darts?

Fuzzed:

his1nightmare:

Did the man ask you or were you reading something? Not clear on this one. Or maybe the two remarks you said to the man were the stupidest things you've ever heard.

They were my reactions to his questions.

Abomination:

his1nightmare:

I don't see how that is a stupid question. The answer would be "It depends on the quality and the length of the video, then factor in to it the speed of your internet connection."

The question was likely from a position of ignorance as how to computers and the internet works, not stupidity.

While you are right, ignorance at such a level, at the time of our information technology-based generation... was reason enough for me to flame. That it wasn't idiocy by definiton I won't deny.

"What weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?"
The answer is both weigh the same, but it you answer quickly, you will instinctively say bricks right? Well a friend answered with feathers, we asked him why and he said "well, feather weigh a lot when they are together" What?

Also, someone claimed hanging around gay people makes you turn gay, I replied with "kind of like how standing next to tall people will make you tall" they then exclaimed "RIGHT!" I thought he was joking but they were dead serious...

Beautiful End:

Also, "What do you mean this game is $5.25! It clearly says here it's $4.99!" We're in Texas, by the way, and this guy didn't look like a foreigner.

That seems like a reasonable question. Though I'm over in England here, maybe currency works different in Texas?

OT:Said it before, say it again... "Is Indian a religion?"

hazabaza1:

Beautiful End:

That seems like a reasonable question. Though I'm over in England here, maybe currency works different in Texas?

OT:Said it before, say it again... "Is Indian a religion?"

Oh, well, if I would have noticed this guy was from outside the US, I'd be fine with it. I try to be reasonable with people. (Although it's still weird; it would be almost as if he just set foot in the US and the first thing he did was run to the nearest videogame store to buy a cheap game).

Okay, there are some states here in the US that don't charge tax. Places like Oregon or Montana or Alaska don't charge sales tax. So if an item is advertized at $4.99, you only pay $4.99. The rest of the US, though charges sales tax; 8 cents or so per dollar (and by that logic, I realized the item this guy was complaining about was probably like $5.40). Of course, the cost of living is higher in those sales-tax free states.

In this region I'm at, the only neighbor states are New Mexico and... a lot of Texas. And Mexico. He had a Texan accent, though.
He COULD have been from Mexico because they don't charge taxes there. But again, it's not like he just came to the US to buy a cheap game and only that.

I dunno, it was kind of a silly question to me.

had a relatively smart accountant friend that was known for his dumb views on basically anything not related to maths or geography

*dog starts howling at police siren*
"they do that because they know someone died"

"a dead body weighs more than a live one. trust me you will believe it if you ever try and lift one"

his1nightmare:

once had someone ask me how big a picture (jpeg) was to which i replied
"how long is a piece of string?"

also this is one that always bugs me
there was a scene in the TV show alias where the team have to infiltrate a data storage center. conversation goes roughly like this
"are you sure you can store all our data?"
"yeah we can store all your data here"
"you sure? we need to store multiple gigabites"
"well thats ok because here we can store multiple terraflops"

that one always bugged me cause alias was known for its fairly accurate handling of tech. to those who don't get it don't feel bad but a gigabyte is a measure of storage and a terraflop is a measure of calculation or speed. it would be similar to saying
"we need a big car"
"no worries our cars can go 200 km per hour"

Beautiful End:
snip

Wait. You guys dont add tax to the shown price?

Why the hell not?

Gabanuka:

Beautiful End:
snip

Wait. You guys dont add tax to the shown price?

Why the hell not?

Because 'murica, apparently.

Because lying to the consumer seems to be a national pastime.

Because they need an excuse to keep the penny in circulation because Abe Lincoln was the best president everrrrrrr!!!!111

There are a number of people out there who firmly believe that the human eye cannot tell the difference between 30 fps, 60 fps or 120 fps (fps = frames per second or framerate) when it comes to watching videos or even playing videogames.

So I'll still keep this "30 fps myth" at the back of my mind as one of the stupidest things people can say, and one of the stupidest arguments one can make. Having used a 120hz monitor over the past year, the difference is so mind-blowingly obvious it's not even funny :P

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here