15.1% (81)
15.1% (81)
we should be allowed to have any gun we want
11.4% (61)
11.4% (61)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: american only gun poll

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

so i was watching a jon stewart bit today and the audience seemed universally in acceptance of gun control. i understand jon stewart attracts a certain viewer base but it got me to thinking. do we only hear from "the gun nuts"? is the only reason this is an issue because gun advocates are more vocal?

please do not answer the poll if you are not american

I am not American but I voted anyway BECAUSE I CAN

Gun control seems fine in america, the crime hate has been going down for years. People only care because of small, short violent outbreaks of crime like the massacres.

TopazFusion:

Also, these gun threads are now even worse and more numerous than the drowning threads...

Gun threads and "Video games cause violence" threads are both now drowning in a lake, which do you save?
A.Gun Threads.
B.Video games cause violence threads.
C.Pull up a seat and watch them both drown.

Make your choice.

I voted too and i'm not American either....

I voted to get rid of all guns because the internet will be hilarious if they announced that and many giggles will be had.

I used to for gun control, but then this wonderful gentleman from the NRA showed me how wrong I was:

It's the pills, man! The suicide pills!

Ev'ry free man need to git 'emselves a shootin' iron so's they can protect themselves from the gorrament!

Keoul:
I am not American but I voted anyway BECAUSE I CAN

Gun control seems fine in america, the crime hate has been going down for years. People only care because of small, short violent outbreaks of crime like the massacres.

TopazFusion:
And now the results are permanently skewed. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!

I might as well ruin it as well, since I'm not American either, and I still voted.

Also, these gun threads are now even worse and more numerous than the drowning threads...

Rawne1980:
I voted too and i'm not American either....

I voted to get rid of all guns because the internet will be hilarious if they announced that and many giggles will be had.

What are you doing? D:

Foreign posters.

What are you dong?

Sthap! DX

OT: Ok, more seriously, I am a "American," or a poster from the United States (that is really annoying, we are only part of the TWO continents worth of people your ignoring) that actually supports LESS gun control than we have now, so I guess the "Any gun I want" choice will have to do. I have my reasons, I have stated them a billion times before on a billion other gun threads. Can we PLEASE just have a single Megathread be made, just so all the forums can be rid of having every other thread being about guns. Do we really need ANOTHER thread to ask about our opinions?

Ideally? Get rid of them all. But, much like with the healthcare overhaul, Americans are too stubborn and set in their ways to do what is really good for them. So I'd settle for a step toward getting rid of the guns.

lechat:
so i was watching a jon stewart bit today and the audience seemed universally in acceptance of gun control. i understand jon stewart attracts a certain viewer base but it got me to thinking. do we only hear from "the gun nuts"? is the only reason this is an issue because gun advocates are more vocal?

Not voting because I'm not a USAlien, but I would say that this really isn't the place to get a good sampling.

Aris Khandr:
Ideally? Get rid of them all. But, much like with the healthcare overhaul, Americans are too stubborn and set in their ways to do what is really good for them. So I'd settle for a step toward getting rid of the guns.

Or maybe it's just the majority of us see that it really won't work in the same fashion as it does in other countries. Private healthcare is "ineffective" here because we, as all other places do, have a lower class and a middle class in our society that can't have everything that the rich can. We'd still find a way to bitch and moan because, like ALL other countries, the rich can afford their own care and get 100 times better care than the rest can ever hope for.

OT: With this gun-nutty country, there's no way a ban would WORK against reducing gun violence. Most of the violence that happens, happens from gangbangers and psychos that either steal their guns or make their own weapons. Not to mention, with how many people in the US that could probably make their own guns and other weapons anyhow, it's never gonna work. It'd be like if Ireland tried to ban nails in order to stop the IRA from doing nail bombings like they used to.

More dirty foreign voting :D mwahahahahahah

ahhhh, I want to contribute more but these threads have sucked the joy out of me so instead I'm just going to pretend I'm shooting lightning bolts out of my hands.

I'm an American!!! and I voted to just leave it the way it is. I don't own a gun, but there are already gun control measures in place. No reason to over-react with the rest of the sheep, especially since I don't think it would actually stop criminals from getting them.

Oh boy, here come the Europeans....

Keoul:

TopazFusion:

Gun threads and "Video games cause violence" threads are both now drowning in a lake, which do you save?
A.Gun Threads.
B.Video games cause violence threads.
C.Pull up a seat and watch them both drown.

Make your choice.

D. Save the dog. It doesn't pop up every few days just to start a massive argument. It just wants to lick your face. And eat all your bacon.

Chunga the Great:
Oh boy, here come the Europeans....

internet has no nationality. it is foolish to do country specific pools on international websites. Its like, you know, thinking other nations have inferior opinions. wait, where did i saw that before.....

<looks at results> i still have faith in humanity....

Zhukov:
I used to for gun control, but then this wonderful gentleman from the NRA showed me how wrong I was:

Ev'ry free man need to git 'emselves a shootin' iron so's they can protect themselves from the gorrament!

As an American, I also voted to leave gun laws the way they are. I feel there are too many guns in circulation (something like 270 million) to make a real difference now. If you want a gun in this country, you will be able to get one.

Even though Mr. Jones comes off as a total nut in the video, he does bring up some good points. Although its only 35 gun crimes in comparison to the 11,000 in the US, the UK also about 20% the population of the US. Is that enough to make up the difference? No, but it most certainly affects it. As to the rest of the FBI statistics that Mr. Jones kept espousing, here's another video that is a bit more level headed about analyzing them.

If you don't feel like watching the video, the big revelation basically is if you look at crime rates in large cities, where most crime occurs, the levels are around the same in both the UK and the US. The biggest difference between the two countries being the UK really only has London, whereas the US has multiple cities with populations way over 1 million. additionally, for the violent crime rates in large cities to be around the same, that must mean although guns are banned, criminals have innovated and managed to find other weapons. Like knives, crowbars, their fists, etc. etc. Between these two comparisons, I feel the idea of bandying out the 35 gun murders statistic to be perfectly well accounted for.

Mods! Mods! This guy is being discriminatory! Take away his posting privileges! Give him a warning! MAKE HIM EAT DIRT!
Or, you know, don't.

Semi-OT: I'm not American, so I didn't vote. Hardly seems to matter at this point, since your results have already been skewed, but I'm a nice guy, so, hey, what the hell.

Actually OT: The thing is, just like with any other subject, you're going to get an extremely vocal subset of the population shouting about their views. And when a small group gets loud, they seem a lot bigger than they actually are. I have no doubt that there are a fair amount of Americans who genuinely believe, for whatever reason, that gun control is a bad idea. I am equally confident, however, that there are just as many, if not more, who believe that stricter gun regulation (at the very least) is necessary.

The thing is, the more even-tempered people don't shout as loud, so it seems like there's only one really substantial side to the argument, which isn't the case. So, yeah, it is possible that you're only hearing from the gun nuts. But I would like to remind you that, when the quieter half feels the need to speak up, they always do. Case in point: in the wake of Aurora, and now Sandy Hook(?), anti-firearm opinions are becoming a lot more prevalent. Chances are, they'll fall quiet again, but not for a little while.

Hah! Your poll is ruined! Where is your God now?!

Lately the big reason I support gun control is simply because of the number of paranoid lunatics who think that the US Government is some kind of tyranny waiting to happen. I'm no fan of the US, but they're not evil. These lunatics have no ground to stand on. They aren't going to spark some revolution. And even if they did...

Zhukov:

Wow. Guys like him... take their guns away before they hurt people, or after they hurt themselves. Mental health checkups should be mandatory. So if they fail the checkup, no guns for them... But, if said Nutcase did want to kill people... "if there is a will, then there is a way" But at least we'd make it a smidgen harder.

Removing all guns is not the answer, it works if there aren't vast amounts of guns already around but the US has nearly one per citizen that's 300,000,000. The black and secondary markets are a lot worse in America due to the land neighbour Mexico(compared to Australia and the UK who have no land connections and the Aussie border is tighter than an ant's arsehole) as well so taking away all guns will only disarm the law abiding citizens and have little to no impact on the criminals. However making high-capacity clips and assault rifles illegal and making very strict back ground checks is definitely the way to go.
They really need to clamp down on the secondary market (that is people buying legally and reselling/giving without the background check).

Not G. Ivingname:

What are you doing? D:

Foreign posters.

What are you dong?

Sthap! DX

Arent we all foreign on the internet?

i live in south america so i can vote =D

We've already proven that its too damn easy for nut jobs to buy guns legally. I propose that its moderately easy to get a semi-automatic weapon like a 6 revolver that needs the bullets to be locked in a chamber by hand. When you think about it, if you need a gun for self defense from like a break in or something anything more is unnecessary and dangerous (firing a lot of shots in doors for example). Then save the assault rifles for the crazy southern bearded guys who have been firing guns since they were 5 years old.

And for the record, trying to disarm the entire country would be completely insane. Some people would rather go down in a hail of bullets before giving up their guns

I believe some to vast changes should be made. Those capable of owning guns need to be more responsible. Those who supply them need to take more precautions before selling guns.

I think psych evaluations should be mandatory for all gun license applicants and those deemed mentally unstable/unfit should be disqualified for legally purchasing/owning guns. I also think gun safety courses should be more...enforced? Would that be the word? Anywho, one should be required to have all that important information crammed into their noggins with such force, you'd need a silverback gorilla with a pair of pliers for any hope of removing it from their brain cavity.

I voted "Some changes" because while I disagree with the Assault Weapons ban I will gladly concede that I do not need magazines that hold 20+ rounds. 10 should be sufficent for any civilian need and most Hunting laws state that a gun can be loaded with no more than 10 rounds anyway.

Vardermir:

Zhukov:

As an American, I also voted to leave gun laws the way they are. I feel there are too many guns in circulation (something like 270 million) to make a real difference now. If you want a gun in this country, you will be able to get one.

Even though Mr. Jones comes off as a total nut in the video, he does bring up some good points. Although its only 35 gun crimes in comparison to the 11,000 in the US, the UK also about 20% the population of the US. Is that enough to make up the difference? No, but it most certainly affects it. As to the rest of the FBI statistics that Mr. Jones kept espousing, here's another video that is a bit more level headed about analyzing them.

If you don't feel like watching the video, the big revelation basically is if you look at crime rates in large cities, where most crime occurs, the levels are around the same in both the UK and the US. The biggest difference between the two countries being the UK really only has London, whereas the US has multiple cities with populations way over 1 million. additionally, for the violent crime rates in large cities to be around the same, that must mean although guns are banned, criminals have innovated and managed to find other weapons. Like knives, crowbars, their fists, etc. etc. Between these two comparisons, I feel the idea of bandying out the 35 gun murders statistic to be perfectly well accounted for.

Thanks for the video man, too many people just immediately scream "AHHHH GUN NUTS AAHHHHH BAN ALL GUNS CAUSE THAT WILL MAKE CRIMINALS LAW ABIDING AHHHH" Opinions based on ignorance really grind my gears...

lechat:

As for large, vocal minorities, statistics show it's Jon Stewart's audience, not gun owners, that's in the minority. BTW he's a comedy show that just happens to feature current events. That doesn't make him credible as a news anchor. There is no impartiality there, and anyone he dislikes is a target of ridicule without fair representation. I watch his show for laughs, but I go elsewhere to get my news.

Zhukov:

Your sarcasm is duly noted. Do not mind the men behind you with automatic weapons and badges. You did nothing wrong, so you have nothing to fear.

Generally, I see banning guns as reactive and short-sighted. I think that gun violence is the symptom of a deeper societal problem related to cultural alienation and economic disenfranchisement which can be resolved without taking away a man's rights. Banning guns just attempts to bury a problem which can be more perfectly solved through other means. I like the ideas which Geoffrey Canada implemented in Harlem to help solve the root problems which cause gun violence.

In a perfect world, I don't believe there should be any restriction on the acquisition of firearms. It really is no other man's business why a man would choose to own a gun. And I find it disgusting that men should think that another man must have a reason to explain why he owns a gun as if he's a criminal. No man should be treated like a criminal in his own home when he's done nothing. Which is what simply owning a gun is: nothing. How can a civil society function when neighbors are suspicious and fearful of their own neighbors? We live in a society where you're supposed to be presumed innocent. I just wish more people would realize that.

Alexander Bradley:

Aris Khandr:

Or maybe it's just the majority of us see that it really won't work in the same fashion as it does in other countries. Private healthcare is "ineffective" here because we, as all other places do, have a lower class and a middle class in our society that can't have everything that the rich can. We'd still find a way to bitch and moan because, like ALL other countries, the rich can afford their own care and get 100 times better care than the rest can ever hope for.

OT: With this gun-nutty country, there's no way a ban would WORK against reducing gun violence. Most of the violence that happens, happens from gangbangers and psychos that either steal their guns or make their own weapons. Not to mention, with how many people in the US that could probably make their own guns and other weapons anyhow, it's never gonna work. It'd be like if Ireland tried to ban nails in order to stop the IRA from doing nail bombings like they used to.

When more stringent gun laws are put in place, look out for more cop killings, and massacres done with homemade explosives. The worst school massacre in American history was committed with dynamite. In an age where every gentleman felt the need to be armed as a matter of culture.

lechat:

I just responded in another gun thread, so I'll copy/paste it here.

I believe that a gun should be just as difficult to get as a Car. Cars kill people too, so we have a long, difficult process to get one. Gun licenses should be just as hard to get as Drivers Licenses. Guns should also require insurance like Cars.

Just making guns as hard to get as Cars would help keep them out of the hands of minor crazies. Not criminals - black market sucks that way - but random teenagers would be a start. And, to be fair, criminals don't do school shootings - random teenagers do school shootings.

Bhaalspawn:
Lately the big reason I support gun control is simply because of the number of paranoid lunatics who think that the US Government is some kind of tyranny waiting to happen. I'm no fan of the US, but they're not evil. These lunatics have no ground to stand on. They aren't going to spark some revolution. And even if they did...

1. Who says ALL of them would obey said order?
2. While deserters may have kept their weapons while running, those who resign would not.
3. American government has long acknowledged that it governs with the consent and permission of the governed, not because they themselves have inherent authority. The reason guns are to protect from government is because it really is the biggest unwritten punishment for becoming a dictatorship: for your people to revolt and have no choice but either massacre them or surrender.
4. Piggybacking on point 3, of course civilians would lose in a straight up fight. That isn't the point. The point is the act of defiance and the refusal to be ruled as opposed to governed.
5. If you really want me to, I can cite scenarios where a society has banned weapons and their government wasn't quite so gentlemanly about the trust that requires. I just won't unless you're willing to do more than pass me off as a gun nut even though you know nothing about me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked