Should this one note joke be put to rest?
Yes, it gave me a chuckle but only when Yahtzee said it
36.5% (163)
36.5% (163)
Yes, it sounds stupid and makes me think badly of anyone using it
18.8% (84)
18.8% (84)
No, Yahtzee said it and he's funny so saying it makes me funny
4.7% (21)
4.7% (21)
No, I like it
39.6% (177)
39.6% (177)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Spunkgargleweewee

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

This term comes up really quite a lot around here, and quite honestly, I think it's puerile and foolish in the least entertaining way.

Yahtzee says a lot of funny and a lot of less-funny things, so how has this throwaway term been appropriated above all else, and seemingly parroted every time someone seeks to validate their dislike of a game style by invoking the apparently sacrosanct word of Croshaw?

Does the use of this term annoy you also, Escapists, or should I get back in my box?

Oh I had a giant soap box I jumped onto when people started to use this term and they WEREN'T using it ironically (like PC Master Race).

Where oh where did I leave that...

Ah ah! Here is it (in a thread about "broadening" the term because the OP evidently thought that a stupid joke needed to be broadened):

tippy2k2:
No, this is the stupidest term that has ever attempted to break out of a ZP episode into "regular" talking; it needs to be eliminated completely, not broadened. The "term that does not even deserve to get mentioned" is a term used by people who want to look down on modern FPS's but don't want to sound like they're an anti-fanboy. This term is the most ridiculous crap I've ever heard.

I love quoting myself. It's like forum masturbation :)

Kirov Reporting:
This term comes up really quite a lot around here, and quite honestly, I think it's puerile and foolish in the least entertaining way.

Yahtzee says a lot of funny and a lot of less-funny things, so how has this throwaway term been appropriated above all else, and seemingly parroted every time someone seeks to validate their dislike of a game style by invoking the apparently sacrosanct word of Croshaw?

Does the use of this term annoy you also, Escapists, or should I get back in my box?

Problem is, despite it not being particularly funny anymore, he sort of coined it as the unofficial name of a genre with no existing referenceable name already. What name do we give Spunkgargleweewee games that doesn't sound clunky and unspecific?

Well, I think it's on par with adding "bitch" at the end of the sentence in futile attempts to make yourself look witty and/or badass, really. Something that I really don't think should be widespread. It's a...term to use to poke fun at something. Not to be used unironically in all seriousness.

tippy2k2:

I love quoting myself. It's like forum masturbation :)

Ewwwww, and you type cooking recipes on that keyboard?

Yeah, it's not terribly impressive.

If you were going to make a name for the genre, it should be a bit more descriptive.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAARiKgJFA:LSKFjlAsj:KLSJlkurKWJ;TLFKJASLJFKL;mkwnfl;kmSL!

EDIT: Yes, it annoys me. It's a puerile term and does absolutely nothing to give an insight on what people mean unless you've seen the requisite Zero Punctuation episode.

MrGalactus:
What name do we give Spunkgargleweewee games that doesn't sound clunky and unspecific?

"Modern Military Shooter", since those are the only games people use it to describe. You know the ones; Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Army of Two, even the likes of Killzone which doesn't get to weasel its way out by virtue of being in spaaaaaaaaace! Sounds a lot more specific and a lot less clunky, to me, but then maybe I'm just being driven crazy by all of the people seriously trying to make this term a thing.

TopazFusion:

Kirov Reporting:
Does the use of this term annoy you also

Yes it does annoy me, because this is the third thread about it in as many months.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.394907-What-exactly-are-spunk-gargle-weewee-games
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.395714-Poll-So-Spunkgargleweewee-Does-it-need-broader-terming

It's a forced meme, and not even a good one at that.

Hey let's cut the individual OP's some slack. They've got a ways to go to catch up to the big boys of repeated topics. Circumcision is laughing Spunkgargleweewee right now

I think it's funny in the context of ZP videos or associated forum threads.

Outside of that it shouldn't really be used, it's like randomly telling the punchline of your favorite comedian's joke whilst skipping the entire build-up and all associated context.

shrekfan246:
"Modern Military Shooter", since those are the only games people use it to describe.

Doesn't work, because a modern military shooter could in theory, you know, not suck. And then it wouldn't be "Spunkgargleweewee" anymore.

I'm pretty much committed now to using the term "Spunkgargleweewee" exclusively now. It's such a perfect description of the games it describes, and has the added bonus of reminding fans of those games not to take themselves so seriously.

Yeah, I know it will never happen.

Yes. It should be put to rest and, yes, it does make me look down on those who use it.

It's a joke term not a valid classification for a genre that already has both well worn residence in both specific and non specific genre titles. Beyond that, it's a name that is extremely childish and immature, chosen and used with the attempt to not truthfully describe the games it supposedly includes but to insult those who enjoy them.

Anyone with a maturity level past a 6 year old using this term pretty much kills any credibility with me. Kill it. Kill it with fire and anything else you can find for that matter.

shrekfan246:
"Modern Military Shooter", since those are the only games people use it to describe. You know the ones; Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Army of Two, even the likes of Killzone which doesn't get to weasel its way out by virtue of being in spaaaaaaaaace! Sounds a lot more specific and a lot less clunky, to me, but then maybe I'm just being driven crazy by all of the people seriously trying to make this term a thing.

"Modern Military Shooter" doesn't convey the same level of contempt and derision that Yahtzee's term does though.

When people use his term, they're not using it because they don't know what else to call a modern military shooter. They're using the term because 1) they think it makes them funny or 2) they want to make a statement (mature and well considered or otherwise) about their dislike for the genre, the same as Yahtzee was when he came up with it.

AD-Stu:

shrekfan246:

"Modern Military Shooter" doesn't convey the same level of contempt and derision that Yahtzee's term does though.

When people use his term, they're not using it because they don't know what else to call a modern military shooter. They're using the term because 1) they think it makes them funny or 2) they want to make a statement (mature and well considered or otherwise) about their dislike for the genre, the same as Yahtzee was when he came up with it.

"Tedious pile of shite" conveys a level of contempt and derision toward whatever you're describing.

It still doesn't accurately describe what the thing is, unless you're literally describing a tedious pile of shite.

A genre label isn't supposed to convey contempt or derision. It's supposed to classify pieces of media that occupy its section of entertainment. There's a reason Rap, Heavy Metal, and Dubstep are actually called those, because if the people who didn't like them had their way, all three would be classified as "Just Noise", and where would that leave us?

And all of that is completely disregarding the fact that these games people are putting under this label aren't bad games, with the recent exception of Medal of Honor: Warfighter. I don't like Call of Duty. I couldn't give less of a toss about Battlefield. I've barely even heard of Medal of Honor, and couldn't even tell you how many games have been released in the franchise. But you know what? For the most part, they're well-made games. They have solid mechanics and they do well what they have set out to do, which is create a high-octane shooting gallery for people to go nuts in and look at big explosions. And because of that, I'm not going to call them bad games. They don't appeal to me, so I ignore them and look forward to other games that do appeal to me.

I actually feel bad for the people on this forum that like Call of Duty or Battlefield, because to see the reaction this community has to those games, those people must feel like they'd be crucified if they ever admitted to enjoying them.

shrekfan246:
A genre label isn't supposed to convey contempt or derision.

While this is true, I might counter that games aren't supposed to be borderline-racist politically myopic claiming-to-be-realistic-but-that's-obviously-nonsense-because-you-can-regenerate-health hand-holding tourist trips that are nonetheless tedious piles of shit.

It's an imperfect world, so I'm stuck with an imperfect term. Best to stop fussing over it.

shrekfan246:

AD-Stu:

shrekfan246:

"Tedious pile of shite" conveys a level of contempt and derision toward whatever you're describing.

It still doesn't accurately describe what the thing is, unless you're literally describing a tedious pile of shite.

A genre label isn't supposed to convey contempt or derision. It's supposed to classify pieces of media that occupy its section of entertainment. Ther'sa reason Rap, Heavy Metal, and Dubstep are actually called those, because if the people who didn't like them had their waall three would be classified as "Just Noise", and where would that leave us?

And all of that is completely disregarding the fact that these games people are putting under this label aren't bad games, with the recent exception of Medal of Honor: Warfighter. I don't like Call of Duty. I couldn't give less of a toss about Battlefield. I've barely even heard of Medal of Honor, and couldn't even tell you how many games have been released in the franchise. But you know what? For the most part, they're well-made games. They have solid mechanics and they do well what they have set out to do, which is create a high-octane shooting gallery for people to go nuts in and look at big explosions. And because of that, I'm not going to call them bad games. They don't appeal to me, so I ignore them and look forward to other games that do appeal to me.

I actually feel bad for the people on this forum that like Call of Duty or Battlefield, because to see the reaction this community has to those games, those people must feel like they'd be crucified if they ever admitted to enjoying them.

You...I like you.

Seriously though, it's tiring to hear that term. Partially because I'm a fan of Modern Military Shooters and it hardly feels good to know such a childish, contemptuous phrase exists solely to belittle the genre and its fans, along with the fact it is being spewed so frequently, as if saying it made one the most clever person to have flapped their gums (or rather flitted their fingers over a keyboard) in that particular thread. But mostly because it's depressingly old, aged by months of abuse. It's like watching an old, out-of-shape basketball coach trying to relive his glory days in high school by trying to actually be like the players. Using their teenage slang and wearing his outdated gym shorts as if it weren't weird enough...

*shudders*

But I digress...the point is, yes. Please, before it gets abused further, put it out of all of our misery.

The use of the term annoys me. It causes the same sensation that using the term 'ass creed' does for me. I instantly loss any respect for the person, see them as the kind of Yahtzee zealots that get banned on his video's every week and ignore them completely.

Well, I might have considered it funny the first time, but I am really annoyed at people trying to get a clear definition on what it means and use it as if it means anything. It was a joke used in 3 videos and one article (I think) get over it. It's good to see most agree with that though.

Personally, I like it as a way to describe the kinds of games he uses them on, but only when he does it and only in a joking manner. I would never actually use it anywhere (the internet, a paper, actual speaking), but when it's used in a sarcastic way, I don't care.

Is it mature? Sure. However, a little immaturity keeps us from complete boredom.

Granted, I don't lurk around the forums much, so I'm not sick of it.

I think the better question might be: "Is your irritation with the phrase directly proportional to the amount of enjoyment you get out of the games it describes?"

It doesn't bother me, but I'm also in the camp that thinks its ilk becoming the workhorses of the biggest video game companies is a net negative for both the medium and the industry, so I might be biased.

Doesn't bother me as much as saying game names differently every time. Was fun the first time. Now he seems to do it in every other video and it just feels forced and awkward.
Can't say I've seen the spunkgaetcetcetc used anywhere else though.

wee no 'neutral' option, again fan-fucking-tastic.

1) whats with the lack of 'i don't really like or dislike it' options on polls?

2) I don't particularly like or dislike it, it's just kinda there, another stupid thing on the internet people apparently are trying to make into a thing. Is it mature? no, but given MMS are used as babysitters for 12 year olds its about the right maturity level for a good chunk of the people playing that worthless crap

the 'Spectical Fighter' term was and still is much better though

shrekfan246:

A genre label isn't supposed to convey contempt or derision. It's supposed to classify pieces of media that occupy its section of entertainment.

Sure, but you're still missing the point.

It's not actually meant to be a labelling the genre - at least, not as far as I can see. What it's actually labelling or encapsulating is the person's attitude towards that genre and, by extension, the fans of that genre.

You make a good point with your music examples. When someone comments on "that urgh urgh shit", for example, I know they're almost certainly talking about death metal. More than that, without hearing anything else I know that they don't like the genre, and almost certainly one of the things they don't like about it is the fact that they can't understand the lyrics (protip: their enjoyment probably wouldn't be improved even if they could understand).

As a fan of death metal myself, their use of the term doesn't bother me in the least. I'm not worried, for example, that the metal section in my local record store will be relabelled "urgh urgh shit" next week because that's obviously just not going to happen. Because "urgh urgh shit" isn't intended to be a genre label - rather, it's intended to convey someone's opinion of the genre. Just like Spunkgargleweewee.

I'm going to mention something I've noticed happening alot recently on the internet.
When 'famous' internet people make videos/write stuff etc, in the comment section every adopts their lexis... Or for people who don't study english, they try to talk like them. For example in the comments to an Angry Joe video people were calling things 'badass' way more, and used the same tone he did. In Robbaz's videos, people commonly refer to things that he says like his walrus and manly shit. The same his happening here, ZP used a word and now people are all using it as though it was in the original dictionary or something.
I can take a guess at why people do it, but in truth I have no idea. I think people just want the person who did the video/blog etc to like them or something. It's common enough in spoken english, when someone is talking to someone else who is higher up in power then the lower person tends to subconsciously adopt his tone to make the higher-up person like him more. If that makes sense. It does in my head.

Its a throwaway joke, and is best left as just that.

Just think about what it would make us look like to outsiders if we were to refer to all Modern Military Shooters as... that.

I admit it did get a giggle out of me when I heard it on ZP. But only because it made me remember a joke from many years ago.

Does a posh girl spit or swallow?

Neither, she gargles.

(If you don't get it then i'm not explaining it ... ask your parents).

All I see when someone else uses said term is "hi, I want to convey disdain of this genre and/or sound a little bit *edgy* and witty but i'm nowhere near clever enough to come up with my own term so i'm using someone else's .... please like me".

It's a silly, childish term, and I won't be using it any time soon. That said, I don't necessarily disagree with it's use, nor do I think less of those who use it, and while I'm not keen on the word itself, there definitely needs to be a work for this subgenre.

SGWW is a nice sub-type for the FPS genre, lets one easily distinguish between other FPS games and Brown Military Shooters.

Plus I've started qualify other cinematic heavy corridor-based set-piece carnival rides as SGWW, such as Max Payne 3 and the new Hitman.

Hasn't even Yahtzee stopped calling them that?
If the guy who made the term stops using it you know the fanbase has fucked up.

You know what's worse than "spunkgargleweewee"? Entire threads dedicated to complaining about the phrase.

I think it's a good word that accurately sums up the genre it's meant to. It's not showing disdain, but an immature and borderline offensive term used specifically to describe an immature and offensive genre, (or rather, an immature and offensive game, since everything that falls under that definition is basically a photocopy of COD with little new or relevant added).

Seriously, describe a few game genres to a non-gamer. Shooters, platformers, racers... spunkgargleweewee. Action games where you play a character with a gun, games based around jumping and physical challenges, games based around racing and being fastest... and games based around joining a fictionalised representation of possibly the biggest army in the world and fighting far weaker enemies designed to resemble real people but actually a patchwork of racist stereotypes designed to reflect the xenophobia and fears of a certain corner of society (who still often come off a sympathetic simply due to being far less well equipped than you and need to be characterised almost as cartoon villains to work as antagonists at all) and committing mass murder upon them on a regular basis with the best equipment in the world, usually completely unironically to a rock soundtrack and an undercurrent of "we're awesome" all designed specifically to appeal to people's power fantasies.

So yeah, I think classifying it as a sub-genre with a hugely immature title is entirely appropriate.

shrekfan246:

MrGalactus:
What name do we give Spunkgargleweewee games that doesn't sound clunky and unspecific?

Sounds perfectly reasonable. I like SGWW as a joke term and as a joke term I think it could be broadened to encompass other games from other genres. For example, I would call Final Fantasy XIII, 2 and, 3 the SGWW of JRPGs (then I would watch people spread that little wild-fire on to things like Enchanted Arms etc).

You want a new term? Here's your new term.

Pew Pew Suck Thumb Behind Cover Your Eyes Are Now IronSights.
"PPSTBCYEANIS"... Sounds reasonable.

"Brown Shooting Gallery."

"Dry Humping Foreigners."

"Fire In The Bore."

"First Person Snore"

The point was made, it was entertaining, move along. If only that genre of game would also leave and allow a modicum of creativity and innovation back into a stale and boring industry, along with the term. But if Activision know how to do anything, it's how to flog horses, living and dead. Kind of like Tesco.

YouKnowTheName:
I think it's a good word that accurately sums up the genre it's meant to. It's not showing disdain, but an immature and borderline offensive term used specifically to describe an immature and offensive genre, (or rather, an immature and offensive game, since everything that falls under that definition is basically a photocopy of COD with little new or relevant added).

Seriously, describe a few game genres to a non-gamer. Shooters, platformers, racers... spunkgargleweewee. Action games where you play a character with a gun, games based around jumping and physical challenges, games based around racing and being fastest... and games based around joining a fictionalised representation of possibly the biggest army in the world and fighting far weaker enemies designed to resemble real people but actually a patchwork of racist stereotypes designed to reflect the xenophobia and fears of a certain corner of society (who still often come off a sympathetic simply due to being far less well equipped than you and need to be characterised almost as cartoon villains to work as antagonists at all) and committing mass murder upon them on a regular basis with the best equipment in the world, usually completely unironically to a rock soundtrack and an undercurrent of "we're awesome" all designed specifically to appeal to people's power fantasies.

So yeah, I think classifying it as a sub-genre with a hugely immature title is entirely appropriate.

I didn't know that Russians were "far weaker" enemies. When did that happen?

GunsmithKitten:

YouKnowTheName:

I didn't know that Russians were "far weaker" enemies. When did that happen?

at some point during the early 90s when russias military got cut down a bit. they did no longer need an army that could plow through europe like a lawnmower on crack, now they just needed one juuuust big enough so attacking russia wasn't worth it.

today, the u.s. has accumulated:

- twice the number of manpower reserves
- four times the strenght of aircraft
- about five times the helicopter strenght
- about 5-2 times the mbt strenght, according to who you ask
- and ten times the strenght in aircraft carriers

so yeah, all those scenarios where russia attacks america are a rather unrealistic jingoist gunwank revenge fantasy.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked