Piracy: How would you stop it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'll get back on that question, once I know a good way to change the attitude amongst the pirates themselves.

1. Make a good game.

2. Not put four or five digital locks on the thing which any pirate with an hour of free time could open and the average customer needs to put in codes for, be always connected to my servers with my proprietary service.

3. ???

4. PROFIT!

Just like the Jimquistion said, in our attempts to fight piracy only make it more common, making it easier for them to provide a better service.

Okay, is it just me or is irony a cosmic force,
We try fight piracy, and we make it more common,
we try to help the third world, and we make things worse by taking away jobs and giving money to the very people who caused the problem,
We try to fight discrimination, we become convinced that prejudice is something only white males are capable of exhibiting,

AM I THE ONLY WHO'S NOTICED THIS!?

I would lift copyright from the area of limiting individual access rights, so "piracy" would only be about whether companies are selling/distributing unallowed copies of each other's content, and the moves of big publishers would be easier to control than individuals.

That's part of the reason whhy the piracy problem exists to begin with. It used to be simple in the 18th century to shut down an underground book printing shop that didn't respect the Crown's and the Stationers' copyright on all existing content. Poor fellows never thought that in the future, their rights can be "harmed" just by individuals making a single click to read the books that's copies they want to limit.

Treblaine:

PS: it's "just my opinion" that draconian corporate whores should be ridiculed before being completely ignored.

pps: if you can't see the distinction between identity fraud and cracking a game that has gone out of print decades ago then I shant waste another moment of my time on you. Well, maybe some teasing.

You are obviously someone who thinks arguments are won via memes and comedic video's. Anyone of real substance knows that if someone has a difference of opinion to you that you wish to dispute, you discuss it like an adult not start calling names. I'd love to discuss the issue sensibly with you. But your clearly not up to the job.

Pirating games that aren't made any more isn't an issue because no one gets screwed, pirating new games is a big issue not so much for big developers, but more specifically the little companies. You think information theft is a joke? I only hope for your sake that you find it as funny, if your identity is stolen or your bank account is hacked.

P.S: If you want anyone to take you seriously I suggest you quote whoever you are poorly attempting to tease properly ("cyber thieves are among the worst kind of peopl"). It's people not peopl.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

Except almost nothing in life is ever that simple.

There are so many points that make the "theft" part debatable. The item being digital not material so nothing is technically lost, whether the person would have bought it anyway, company/person they are pirating from, the numerous people who pirate, like it then buy it, etc. None of these things make it "right" or strictly "Ok", but they ABSOLUTELY have to be part of the discussion as it's simply naive to call every instance of it .

And "Worst kind of people"? REALLY!?!? Even for a First-World Problem type thing, that statement STILL makes no sense.

I understand I don't know the whole story regarding the issue the O.P asked our opinions so I gave mine. Anyone who KNOWS they are breaking the law by stealing digital information, fits my definition of dirty slimy thieves. But I'm not really part of the discussion so at the end of the day it doesn't matter.

The language I used was strong I suppose, I said AMONG the worst kinds of people not the very worst, that spot is reserved for Paedophiles and those who commit Genocide. If I could give you a list of my top ten worst kinds of people, digital info thieves would be about 9 on the list.

Give a good service at a decent, non-insane prices.

There.
I fixed it.

WIth an honor-bound quest for revenge in which I kill everyone who pirates my game, obviously.

But in all seriousness, I don't think you really can stop piracy. You can certainly discourage it, but completely stopping it seems nearly impossible. I could easily be wrong, of course, given that I know very little about how piracy works.

Impossible to stop.
As long as a product exists and can be marketed, there will be theft and copyright.
Even if there is nothing of monetary value to be gained, it will be taken.

Thus, I think we should stop harassing legitimate consumers with DRM and price our products more accordingly.
Find ways to give the creators more and the publishers less, while we're at it. If you combine that with treating the customer with respect and listening to them, then you will find that more of your product will sell and people will become loyal customers (even if they started as a pirate).

Those are my thoughts on the matter.
The best way to combat piracy is to not go out of your way to kill it; it's to treat your customers good and keep on doing whatever it is you do. Piracy is a double edged sword and a necessary evil to contend with in the software dimension (for now?).

Oh, and I find it rather hilarious to call robbers and pirates greedy/selfish.
Because when I think about it, the world's economy runs on greed and living organisms are focused on what benefits them the most at the end of the day. Pirates and theft seem to be scapegoats for something of human nature and philosophy that is inherently wrong...but alas, I digress.

It's impossible to completely stop piracy the same way it's impossible to stop crime, but the best way to minimize it has always been the same - provide an equal or better service than pirates.

Here is how:
> Make games easily INSTALLABLE - no bullshit sign-up process or limited installations
> Make games easily ACCESSIBLE - no bullshit always-online DRM or similar
> Make games easily PORTABLE - no limitations to copy the game around or move directories
> Finally, don't rip people off with horrendous bad DLC practices or terrible support

Alright so you'll never be able to beat the fact that pirating is free, but that is one thing you cannot help.

The ultimate irony is that companies which have tried the hardest to eliminate piracy with fucked-up DRM are companies who get hit hardest by piracy lol.

*the Screen pans out to Master Chief enjoying a nice cold bottle of Millers, which is currently on promotion at your local liqour shop*, after he finishes that he takes his armor off and puts on the latest fashion from abercrombie and finch and jumps into his millitary style jeep which is now only !19,999"

Cannot stop, only bombard young minds with advertising.

Piracy hurts the game industry about as much as used games (Read; none at all).

This is proven by Switzerlands studies and why they decriminalized it for personal use. The game/movie/music industry has yet to implode.

If you want to stop piracy though, stop making shitty short games, stop making shitty sequels, stop using shitty DRM, offer the gamers better service.

That will get consumers on your side, anything else will make them pirate more.

Piracy is just too comfortable.

Living in Easter Europe is proof of this. Even if you have the money, even if you have everything you need to buy a legal product. Hell, even if you EARNED 10c/download, it makes it more of a hassle. Even the simple act of entering in your credit card details is too much of a hassle for some people. Torrenting movies allows you to see so much with such little effort.

Download and install utorrent--->thepiratebay.com--->search: Batman--->click on seeders--->download most seeded Batman movie. That's literally it. No buying DVDs, no wierd ass digital distribution. Just click and download everything DRM free.

AstroSmash:
Piracy is just too comfortable.

Living in Easter Europe is proof of this. Even if you have the money, even if you have everything you need to buy a legal product. Hell, even if you EARNED 10c/download, it makes it more of a hassle. Even the simple act of entering in your credit card details is too much of a hassle for some people. Torrenting movies allows you to see so much with such little effort.

Download and install utorrent--->thepiratebay.com--->search: Batman--->click on seeders--->download most seeded Batman movie. That's literally it. No buying DVDs, no wierd ass digital distribution. Just click and download everything DRM free.

Movie creators are one of those groups of silly bastards who have yet to embrace a true good digital distribution system.

And some of the legal movies insist on having like 15 minutes of unskipable ads before menus and the like, this is a perfect example of horrible service when a pirated movie you just double click and watch.

Oh. That's easy.

It's mostly torrents, right? It'd take an infinitesimal fraction of the NSA's computing power to full up torrent linking sites with horrendous viruses disguised as the latest releases. It won't hurt people who legitimately use torrents like a blanket ban, it saves the rigmarole of actually attempt enough legal action to scare off pirates, and best of all, it's karmatically pleasing! =D

Piracy isn't always bad. It gives things more exposure and keep old things from fading into extreme obscurity, but at the same time people shouldn't take what they haven't paid for. Probably what I'd do to lessen piracy is pobably reduce prices of things o give you an incentive o buy, like every three games you buy you get one free. Something along those lines.

Don't put the game on a PC...nah, just kidding, while that will work it's sort of ass-ish.

The only thing that you can really do is respect the comsumers and hope they respect you back.

Criminal penalties.

Also I'd find the folks at SKIRDROW, ReLOADED, noSTEAM and Finity and hire them to create DRM, since they're the ones cracking it in the first place.

By fostering respect for artists and the native complexity of business models.

At the same time, fostering knowledge for both in order to understand and hold them accountable.

But probably the main thing would be to modify copyright law in a way that doesn't overtly benefit big establishments.

Sometimes it comes down to a personal moral perspective. I may not agree fully with copyright law as it is, however I respect the work of the artist and strive to give payment where payment is due.

However, even at that, I believe return policies should be more open in a digital age. A game I bought recently I absolutely detest, however I am pretty much stuck with it since it is a digital download.

Main problem overall is that Piracy is addictive. It has created a weird sort of people who download EVERYTHING not because they want it, but because they HAVE TO have it.

Treat piratebay.se as a competitor.

So lets see what they offer:
1) Good prices. Hmm yeah, maybe my 10 hour single player game isn't worth 50 pounds.
2) No DRM. Hmm yeah, DRM doesn't help prevent piracy and only pisses of costumers. <- main point. I can wait for prices to drop. But when I buy a product and cannot use because of DRM, time to google "how to jailbreak xbox 360".
3) No crapware. Hmm yeah, pirated games don't require you to install steam.

And after that - gaming industry would flourish. I'm pretty damn sure. mp3 are easier to pirate than ever, but when stores started selling drm free mp3s (and with great variety of artists) - BOOM MUSIC INDUSTRY IS GROWING. WHO WOULDA THOUGHT? Certainly not those old fart CEOs who are seriously outdated and are in dire need of replacement with younger people who understand what is a compjooter and interneet.

Genocidicles:
You can't stop it.

This. Piracy is essentially theft, and there will always be people who are ready to take what isn't theirs.

I laugh at some of the people in this thread who think that lowering prices or some other arcane shit will really stop people from pirating. Here's a solution: just don't spend so much on making games!!! yeah! that works! Or how companies shouldn't charge so much for their games. Hilarious shit.

I dont think you can stop piracy like oh so many posters have mentioned.

At best, you can treat the customer right with a superior product so that people by and large dont want to pirate the game.

Hell, i havent pirated music in almost a decade!

Strip all forms of DRM, allow some form of distribution (most likely digital) for games/books/movies that are no longer being manufactured and reduce video game prices in Australia by 40ish bucks.

Generally just taking away all the excuses commonly used by pirates (it's not available anywhere else/too much DRM/100 bucks a game is a fuck-tonne of money) so that anyone left pirating is in the wrong instead of having some form of excuse to hide behind. This won't stop pirating, but it would hopefully encourage anyone pirating for legitimate* reasons to stop doing so.

*Things like 'I don't want to give the company money' isn't a legitimate reason - that's like coming over to my house for a BBQ and not bringing anything but still drinking all the beer I paid for. Your a dick for doing so and deserve a swift kick to the bollocks.

I have an idea!

If you can't block the flow, poison it.

Create lots and lots of fake downloads with virus's so that nobody can tell what's safe anymore and pirating becomes too dangerous for most people to dare attempt.
Yes, I'm suggesting media corporations create virus infested games/movies/music to sabotage p2p sites, you can't fight piracy if you aren't willing to play dirty.

Maybe it wouldn't work, maybe it would, from what I can tell it's never been tried.

Ok Ok hear me out hear me out.

I say we take the internet... and push it somewhere else

I wonder if we stop worrying about it will it really get any worse than it is right now?

OlasDAlmighty:

I have an idea!

If you can't block the flow, poison it.

Create lots and lots of fake downloads with virus's so that nobody can tell what's safe anymore and pirating becomes too dangerous for most people to dare attempt.
Yes, I'm suggesting media corporations create virus infested games/movies/music to sabotage p2p sites, you can't fight piracy if you aren't willing to play dirty.

Maybe it wouldn't work, maybe it would, from what I can tell it's never been tried.

That is what they are doing now. It has been about as effective as throwing a rock at the moon. You might knock a few people out next door, but you haven't accomplished your goal.

Well first I would stop punishing people who pay for my game with really shitty DRM, and have the most extreme DRM be Steam, or otherwise be DRM free. I would then stop looking at pirates as lost sales and try to figure out how to make them stop pirating but look at them as potential customers and attempt to find a way to get them to buy the game instead of pirating; whether it be a lower list price, more sales, or better sales.

I might try selling games at a lower, more affordable price point. Of course, it's obvious how that could backfire.

Beyond that, goodwill. Try to show that your games deserve to be bought, not pirated. Maybe include all future DLC free for people who pre-order instead just that one, mediocre post-launch DLC. If they did that, I'd probably pre-order a lot more games instead of buying them used and getting the DLC (if it looks un-shit) when it's on sale.

kenu12345:
Ok Ok hear me out hear me out.

I say we take the internet... and push it somewhere else

That'd be a lot of tubes to rearrange... IMPRACTICAL!

First I'd stop hunger and war, then tackle the much more challenging issue of stopping piracy.

Captcha stereotyping us Canadians again: "maple syrup reserve"

EDIT: A sidenote, my own game will be released DRM free, you cannot stop pirates, might as well make the experience less frustrating for legit customers.

Slayer_2:
First I'd stop hunger and war, then tackle the much more challenging issue of stopping piracy.

Captcha stereotyping us Canadians again: "maple syrup reserve"

EDIT: A sidenote, my own game will be released DRM free, you cannot stop pirates, might as well make the experience less frustrating for legit customers.

Out of interest what game are you releasing?

I am sure the escapist wouldnt count it as self advertising if you are asked. xD

Edit: Apparently my comment may have been seen as a confession to piracy... not sure where the logic in that comes from but I can't be bothered. Anyways, I wouldn't try to stop it, for starters it'll be an easy thing to fail in and also why stop those who wish to spend money? I have honestly never seen a pirate who doesn't spend a fortune more than most on their media in the long run.

Bhaalspawn:
Criminal penalties.

Also I'd find the folks at SKIRDROW, ReLOADED, noSTEAM and Finity and hire them to create DRM, since they're the ones cracking it in the first place.

Criminal penalties just means you route your IP through switzerland where it is legal, thus you are breaking no laws ^.^

deviltry:
Treat piratebay.se as a competitor.

So lets see what they offer:
1) Good prices. Hmm yeah, maybe my 10 hour single player game isn't worth 50 pounds.
2) No DRM. Hmm yeah, DRM doesn't help prevent piracy and only pisses of costumers. <- main point. I can wait for prices to drop. But when I buy a product and cannot use because of DRM, time to google "how to jailbreak xbox 360".
3) No crapware. Hmm yeah, pirated games don't require you to install steam.

And after that - gaming industry would flourish. I'm pretty damn sure. mp3 are easier to pirate than ever, but when stores started selling drm free mp3s (and with great variety of artists) - BOOM MUSIC INDUSTRY IS GROWING. WHO WOULDA THOUGHT? Certainly not those old fart CEOs who are seriously outdated and are in dire need of replacement with younger people who understand what is a compjooter and interneet.

The sad thing is that the CEOs of game companies are (relatively speaking) fairly young. They just happen to be total idiots.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked