Why The Empire (WH Fantasy) > The Imperium (WH 40k) HUMOROUS ONLY

Pages 1 2 NEXT

ALL TOO IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: This is for good natured fanboy/fangirl banter and humorous debate. This is not to criticize people's tastes. Yes, true, I'm more inclined to Fantasy, but I have no problem with anyone who enjoys 40k (heck, there are parts of 40k I also love), but again, this is mainly for funsies. Don't be so srs bizness (and it's rare you'll hear me say that)

Anyway, yes. The Empire of the Old World is a much better, much more competently run place than it's equivalent in the Imperium, and much nicer to live in. Heck, even the bad guys are more competent down on that little world. Why do I say this?

Leaders: The God Emporer, while a badass in his day, still lingers in rulership as a husk that talks to himself, eats psychics, and craps while holding a door shut. That's about it. Karl Franz, as well as most of the Emperors before him (the Empire does not keep it's rulers on artificial life support as vegetables, they know when to change out...usually...) are actually expected to, you know, LEAD THEIR PEOPLE and are even willing to take to the field and fight.

Stability: The God Emporer dies, as I understand it, it's Game Over. The Eye opens, and Old Testament shit starts to happen. Pretty fragile. The Empire, however, has literally survived thousand year stretches with no Emporer (and along the way, beaten back several invasions).

Religion: Tell one off color joke in the Imperium about the Emporer, and your entire planet can get burned down if word reaches one of many wrong people. The Empire, while favoring the Cult of Sigmar, not only allows the worship of other Gods but is willing to honor their places in people's lives. Ar-Ulric's temple has a vote in the Electoral Council, every mosoleum in the cities is dedicated to Moor, and the northern lands worship Taal without troubles from the Witchhunters. Incidently, the Witchfynder General in the Empire has an actual sane job, namely seeking out rogue magic practioners. He's not allowed to exterminate an entire city just because he spilled his ice cream on the sidewalk and declared it heresy.

Technology: Oh good gravy...in spite of all their advances, all the Imperium knows how to do is recycle, recycle, recycle. You even mention that some new stuff would be better than the old crap, and it's heresy-ville for you, Chaos-filth. Nuln, on the other hand, is coming up with new and wacky shit every month. True, it leans towards the "wacky' part a little too often (Bomb carrying pigeons! BRILLIANT!), but at least when they do some up with neat things like repeating handguns and explosive cannon shells, they aren't struck down for huring the poor wittle divine machine's feewings. Also, Empire handgunners and cannoneers don't have to pray and coax their weapons into working.

Treatment of Magic/Psychics: In the Imperium, if you're a psychic, you get rounded up, thrown into a ship with tech that makes you more emo than a clone army of Morriseys, and then you get sent to Holy Terra where you get placed before the Emporer's presence. If that doesn't kill you, which it probably will, it will likely make you incurably insane. If somehow it didnt' do that, you get to live the rest of your life as a blind telephone operator. Woo. Hoo.
In the Empire, true, you get told that you can go to [slash]Hogwarts[/slash] one of the colleges of magic and take a reasonably well compensated job as a battle wizard, or die. Again, forced, but hey, I'll take that over being a blind switchboard operator anyday.

More to come as I think of them...

The Empire manages to kill Bloodthirsters with Muskets, while Space Marines with machine gun grenade launchers can barely scratch the damn things.

Unfortunately, the Old World also has to contend with Chaos Vikings, which are like Chaos Space Marines, but more disciplined and terrifying.

No, no, no... none of these things matter... because in the Empire, you can ride into battle on Deathclaw, which automatically trumps anything and everything the Imperium has to offer.

Gives new meaning to the question: what have you got between your legs?! Wonder how a Space Marine would answer that... _

SckizoBoy:
No, no, no... none of these things matter... because in the Empire, you can ride into battle on Deathclaw, which automatically trumps anything and everything the Imperium has to offer.

Gives new meaning to the question: what have you got between your legs?! Wonder how a Space Marine would answer that... _

Well, Deathclaw is only Franz's preferred ride into battle, and no other griffon is as badass.

Then again, Franz can also ride a dragon if he chooses.....

Also forgot to add that The Empire is better at handling it's corruption problems. Luthor Huss and Ludwig Schwartzhelm are just two people but deal with corruption, than the whole Inquisition office does in it's capacity.

The Empire throws all of its "OPPRESS THE MASSES" schtick on the Bretonnians. Stupid feudal nymph worshipers

Dwarf Slayers.

A mob of orange mowhawked psychopaths that are determined to die a 'honorable' death.

In fact dwarfs in general as the replacements for the race that must not be named, the Tau and the Demiurg are nowhere as cool.

Soviet Heavy:
The Empire manages to kill Bloodthirsters with Muskets, while Space Marines with machine gun grenade launchers can barely scratch the damn things.

Hell, you don't even have to bother using soldiers in a situation like that. All you need is one emo berserker dwarf and his foppish human sidekick to topple anything Chaos can throw at you.

While all of that is very true, there's one thing you're forgetting in your comparison.

The Imperium has the Black Templars.

Your argument is invalid.

Knights of the Blazing Sun.

I have no clue as to what they actually do but what I do know is that they have a badass name. The Imperium is pretty restricted when it comes to naming their troops, Grey Knights/Space Marines/Imperial Guards, but the Knights of the Blazing Sun have fun and add some flavour! They're not just knights, they're knights of the sun. The what sun? The blazing sun. I'm joining these guys.

Nouw:

I have no clue as to what they actually do but what I do know is that they have a badass name. The Imperium is pretty restricted when it comes to naming their troops, Grey Knights/Space Marines/Imperial Guards, but the Knights of the Blazing Sun have fun and add some flavour! They're not just knights, they're knights of the sun. The what sun? The blazing sun. I'm joining these guys.

Join them and be viewed with suspicion by the rest of the Empire. They are called the Knights of the Blazing Sun because when on crusade, they began worshipping a pagan sun god, rather than Sigmar the First Emperor. They are pariahs in the Empire.

The Empire has Kislev.

Kislev has this:

The Empire wins.

Warhammer 40k does have one saving grace....

See, Warhammer Fantasy gives you this....

While 40k gives you THIS....

I do believe I shall slap a very mature *ner ner* here followed by a /thread.

Soviet Heavy:

Nouw:

Join them and be viewed with suspicion by the rest of the Empire. They are called the Knights of the Blazing Sun because when on crusade, they began worshipping a pagan sun god, rather than Sigmar the First Emperor. They are pariahs in the Empire.

A pagan sun god eh? I suppose everything comes at a cost...

But the imperium has space wolves! MARINE VIKINGS RIDING WOLVES!!!

Honestly Im new to warhammer and have yet to check out the fantasy backdrop. Sounds fun though

I think the Orcs/Orks trump them both to be honest. That's probably because I'm an Ork player by nature.

Otherwise I would go with The 40k Imperium, because they're dealing with galaxies of stuff, not just trying to claim one world.

Hagi:
The Empire has Kislev.

Kislev has this:

The Empire wins.

i see your Kislev and raise you a
the Imperium wins

Ix Rebound:

Hagi:
The Empire has Kislev.

Kislev has this:

The Empire wins.

the Imperium wins

Sigh... Very well... Just remember that I did not want to do this.
The Empire wins.

Hagi:

Ix Rebound:

Hagi:
The Empire has Kislev.

Kislev has this:

The Empire wins.

the Imperium wins

Sigh... Very well... Just remember that I did not want to do this.
The Empire wins.

I surrender! im sorry!
please just let me live!

Agayek:
While all of that is very true, there's one thing you're forgetting in your comparison.

The Imperium has the Black Templars.

Your argument is invalid.

Bitch please, we have the Black Knights of Moor; an order of knights so damn scary that they're name is used to frighten disobidient children in line.

chozo_hybrid:
I think the Orcs/Orks trump them both to be honest. That's probably because I'm an Ork player by nature.

Actually, the greenskin that seemed to do the most damage to the Empire was Grom the Paunch...a friggin GOBLIN (albeit a goblin who ordered orcs around and ate trolls....)

The Imperium isn't slowly being eaten by rats :P

Soviet Heavy:

Nouw:

If the Empire has such a problem with pagan gods, why does Ar Ulric's high priest get a vote in the council and every mosoleum in the Empire consecrated to a pagan death god?

renegade7:

All of which is easily solved by donning Mannfred Ratslayer's hat in their presence. BOO, you low LD score vermin!

GunsmithKitten:
Leaders: The God Emporer, while a badass in his day, still lingers in rulership as a husk that talks to himself, eats psychics, and craps while holding a door shut. That's about it. Karl Franz, as well as most of the Emperors before him (the Empire does not keep it's rulers on artificial life support as vegetables, they know when to change out...usually...) are actually expected to, you know, LEAD THEIR PEOPLE and are even willing to take to the field and fight.

Stability: The God Emporer dies, as I understand it, it's Game Over. The Eye opens, and Old Testament shit starts to happen.

The Emperor (40k) must be kept alive due to Magnus the idiot Red screwing up his plans to retire warp travel and make use of the Eldar webway to travel the Galaxy. Therefore no need for psykers, no need for the Astronomicon etc. However since that didn't happen he has to power the Astronomicon lest ships get utterly lost in the warp.

With regards to Stability, no one knows what will happen if the Emperor dies. Many believe that he will be reborn[1] and lead humanity to the ultimate victory against Chaos (AWOL Primarchs return, Space Marine chapters united in a new Great Crusade etc). Or he dies, Chaos overruns the universe and humanity dies.

However, scenario two still leads to the death of Chaos (see 'Legion' and the reason the Alpha Legion turned traitor during the Heresy), without humanity to fight, the Chaos gods and their followers basically turn on themselves and destroy each other, saving the Galaxy for the other races. The outcome of the Horus Heresy is actually the worst possible outcome. Either the Emperor beat Horus without turning into a vegetable and leads humanity to 10-20,000 years of glory OR Horus wins and Chaos rips itself apart. Hence the current Grim Darkness!

[1] The Big E being the collective reincarnation of all the shamans of Neolithic humanity's various peoples, the first human psykers, theory is he is basically reborn from a collection of current day powerful psykers in the same way or through his children

The Empire has better cuisine.

Then if something goes wrong they just fire it at the enemy.

GunsmithKitten:

renegade7:

All of which is easily solved by donning Mannfred Ratslayer's hat in their presence. BOO, you low LD score vermin!

Wrong! The masterful cunning of Thanquol will have destroyed them way before the empire gets anywhere near.

GunsmithKitten:

Soviet Heavy:

Nouw:

If the Empire has such a problem with pagan gods, why does Ar Ulric's high priest get a vote in the council and every mosoleum in the Empire consecrated to a pagan death god?

Because they're hypocrites.

Soviet Heavy:

GunsmithKitten:

Soviet Heavy:

Or maybe because they're more religiously tolerant than most others? If they truly had a problem with the Blazing Sun's Myrimida reverence, they would have had the order disbanded and each one of them burned at the stake by the Witchfinders. Hell, Luthor Huss himself would probably have taken them out by now if they were so damned abominable religiously.

GunsmithKitten:

Soviet Heavy:

GunsmithKitten:

Or maybe because they're more religiously tolerant than most others? If they truly had a problem with the Blazing Sun's Myrimida reverence, they would have had the order disbanded and each one of them burned at the stake by the Witchfinders. Hell, Luthor Huss himself would probably have taken them out by now if they were so damned abominable religiously.

I think you're confusing the Empire's policy and government with the attitudes of it's citizenry.

Their government is very tolerant all things considered. The peasantry are by most accounts not.

GunsmithKitten:
Bitch please, we have the Black Knights of Moor; an order of knights so damn scary that they're name is used to frighten disobidient children in line.

See, that's all well and good, but your Black Knights can't compete with this:

That right there? That's pure, distilled awesome and winning.

Well, the God Emperor is not really the leader of the Imperium, sure he is in name but the guys who really run the Imperium are the High Lords of Terra, sure they rule in the Emperor's name but hey, that's what happens when you're a corpse.

They're jolly fellows.

Take that, Frankie Kranz.

The Empire has competent members of the "Inquisition" who not only have an awesome name but two awesome names. The Witch Hunters (Witch Finders) also known as the Knights Templar of Sigmar

Its ALLLLLL about the hat baby~

Setch Dreskar:
The Empire has competent members of the "Inquisition" who not only have an awesome name but two awesome names. The Witch Hunters (Witch Finders) also known as the Knights Templar of Sigmar

Those hats aren't exclusive to the Warhammer Fantasy world... and I dare say they're even more desirable in the WH40K universe:

How many Witch Hunter hats would it take to convince some Orcs to take down an ascended Daemon Prince?

Setch Dreskar:

I take your hat and raise you....

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked