Enjoy the Gonorrhea, Amercians.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The only remaining oral antibiotic used for gonorrhea failed to cure the infection in nearly 7 percent of patients treated at a clinic in Toronto, Canadian researchers said on Monday in the first published study of treatment-resistant gonorrhea in North America.

The study raised alarm among U.S. health officials, who have ordered doctors to stop prescribing the antibiotic known as cefixime because lab cultures showed gonorrhea was starting to develop resistance to the drug.

That left U.S. doctors with only one effective treatment for most cases of gonorrhea, an injectible antibiotic known as ceftriaxone.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/08/16417869-untreatable-gonorrhea-threat-rises-in-us-canada?lite

So, Canada and the USA have started to get Gonorrhea that resists all forms of treatment except for Ceftriaxone, but it's only a matter of time before it becomes resistant to that, too, considering that it's already happened in Japan.

But of course, nobody is going to change their habits in response to this, so I'm sure that we'll be looking forward to a wonderful spread of the disease, considering that there may be 600,000~ new carriers each year in N. America.

So, point of the thread; how does that make you feel?

Kopikatsu:

You would have to develope a new branch of mathematics to count the number of fucks I don't give.

RhombusHatesYou:

Kopikatsu:

You would have to develope a new branch of mathematics to count the number of fucks I don't give.

I think the Incredible Man Monkey from Killing Floor has worked it out for you.

As for me, I to side with the Monkey. Enjoy your Gonnorhea! I'll remain here in the UK where everyone pisses themselves in fear at 10cm of snow.

brb infecting your daughters

it was inevitably gonna happen so it's up to the doctors to start working on new antibiotics and it's up to us to use safe sex

We really need to fund research into a whole new generation of antibiotics that have a biochemical target that cannot be easily changed by the organism. Or just new antibiotics in general...otherwise we face running out of any treatment options for the majority of diseases in our lifetime.

RhombusHatesYou:

Well, you should be alright then...

The safest form of contraceptive is not having sex at all!

So I'm pretty fucking safe.

I don't see much of a problem. If the gonorrhoea changes to become more resistant to Ceftriaxone, then they'll get a bunch of researchers to find something to fight the new gonorrhoea. That's how they always have flu shots available every year despite the flu virus changing all the time.

bojackx:
I don't see much of a problem. If the gonorrhoea changes to become more resistant to Ceftriaxone, then they'll get a bunch of researchers to find something to fight the new gonorrhoea. That's how they always have flu shots available every year despite the flu virus changing all the time.

that's an antivirus/immunization not an antibiotic. antivirii can be cultured relatively easily from existing virii while new effective antibiotics are getting harder and harder to create

Well, that's certainly not the one I'd have expected what with the US' crazy policy of unregulated antibiotics. Although I guess there's probably considerably more different antibiotics for a lot of treatments than gonnorhea currently.

bojackx:

No, no it is not...
Flu shots are antibodies or a dead/weakened version of the virus to train your own immune system on how to deal with the specific strain's surface and prepare proper antibodies. Antibiotics are chemicals that interfer with the bacterias directly, blocking some key element in their metabolism or stopping them dividing.
Building up immune resistance is easy, just kill a virus and inject it for the immune system to go wild on it. A new antibiotic is considerably harder because it is a medication and thusly requires meticulous testing and studies over years before it is safe and legal for human use. And in the last two decades or so we have not exactly overworked ourselves with antibiotic research so if N. gonorrhoeae were to become resistant to all current treatments in the next time we could very well have an unstoppable disease on our hands for quite some time.

You're trying to make this simpler than it actually is. And I didn't even go into the difference of virus and bacteria because neither medicine nor your body are treating those two the same way.

RhombusHatesYou:

Kopikatsu:

A wise choice considering the subject matter.
I too shall not give any f*cks, at least not without protection.

lechat:

bojackx:

that's an antivirus/immunization not an antibiotic. antivirii can be cultured relatively easily from existing virii while new effective antibiotics are getting harder and harder to create

Yeah alright I didn't think that through. For whatever reason I thought gonorrhoea was a virus.

The thread title makes it sound as if you're some kind of James Bond villain who has unleashed a new strain of Gonorrhoea on an unsuspecting American populace.

This doesn't really affect me though, the UK is safe... for now.

Well, if we must fuck everything that moves...short life but a happy one, eh?

Ilikemilkshake:
The thread title makes it sound as if you're some kind of James Bond villain who has unleashed a new strain of Gonorrhoea on an unsuspecting American populace.

Pretty much what I was thinking, except I thought he'd got the clap, went on holiday to the US knowing this and then not used condoms. Mwahaha! Take that, US!

ah crap. i used to work in comunity health so this is going to be a major issue where i live here in australia.. (the STD rate goes through the roof when an american warship visits).

its also a symptom of a larger issue as well with bugs that havent been an issue for the public for decades finally starting to become resistant to treatment

Thank god for a long term committed relationship. As far as how does it make me feel, it serves people right for misusing anti-biotics. Most medical clinics will prescribe anti-biotics for anything and everything without regard to the fact that overuse and misuse causes stuff like MRSA to come about.

I'm probably a bad person for saying but I did snicker a little at the irony of having a country with a reputation for not believing in evolution facing a virus which has evolved to resist most medicine.

As for the rest, well I wouldn't have sex without a condom anyway so I consider myself quite safe. Especially since I don't have much sex, none at all to be precise. Guess there's a bright side to everything xD.

lechat:
brb infecting your daughters

it was inevitably gonna happen so it's up to the doctors to start working on new antibiotics and it's up to us to use safe sex

You wouldnt think it would be so hard, its not difficult to use safe sex, and if I get to the point with a person that I am willing to go unsafe, and they have an STD that they havent told me about in that time... well that person is a total (String of Expletives deleted)

Esotera:
We really need to fund research into a whole new generation of antibiotics that have a biochemical target that cannot be easily changed by the organism. Or just new antibiotics in general...otherwise we face running out of any treatment options for the majority of diseases in our lifetime.

Problem is that antibiotics put enormous selective pressure on bacteria to develop resistance, and developing novel traits under extreme stress and then multiplying rapidly is the reason bacteria have been successful for billions of years.

Case in point: If you're treatment is 99.9999999% effective at killing bacteria, if that 0.00000001% develops a hard resistance, then it will quickly multiply since it has no competition from other bacteria, until 100% of the surviving bacteria are now resistant.

This is always why its a very serious problem that we're over prescribing antibiotics.

Doclector:
The safest form of contraceptive is not having sex at all!

So I'm pretty fucking safe.

Right on, brother!

-sob-

At the moment, this doesn't affect me in the slightest. I dunno though, it kind of makes me worry for down the road.

Dont worry, I have a solution...

Ill take my Nobel Prize now...

Considering I had never partaken in the practice of sexual intercourse before, I think I am fine.

Hagi:
I'm probably a bad person for saying but I did snicker a little at the irony of having a country with a reputation for not believing in evolution facing a virus which has evolved to resist most medicine.

As for the rest, well I wouldn't have sex without a condom anyway so I consider myself quite safe. Especially since I don't have much sex, none at all to be precise. Guess there's a bright side to everything xD.

i dont know what perceptions you have about america but the majority of us believe in evolution.

Hagi:

Speaking of ironic sex facts. Did you know that US states which ONLY teach abstinence-only sex education actually have the highest rates of teen-pregnancy? Yep, that's totally working as intended :P

Subject matter aside, stuff like this is a serious concern. Quite a few viral and bacterial infections are becoming resistant to the common treatments for them (look at some of the antibiotic-resistant tuberculosis strains that are starting to pop up nowadays). We're simply running out of effective treatments in some cases because they've already adapted themselves to resist everything else we've tossed at them. We've made a lot of common and/or dangerous diseases a non-issue for decades, but we've also begun to make those same diseases more resistant and tougher to kill, and if they ever get to the point where we run out of ways to treat them, then modern medicine has basically gone back to square one.

Personally, I think there's going to come a point where we need to come up with some whole new types of medicine and/or treatments, or the bacteria and viruses are just going to out-evolve our ability to do anything to them. Then you're looking at a world health crisis.

martyrdrebel27:

Hagi:

i dont know what perceptions you have about america but the majority of us believe in evolution.

It's why I intentionally said that it has a reputation for it rather than straight out didn't believe in it.

You have to admit, when it comes to news stories concerning school programs either rejecting evolution outright or teaching creationism or whatever as an equally viable theory it's almost always from the states. It may be a minority but it's one that doesn't really exist in other first world countries and thus enough to cement a reputation.

As someone who does not live in Canada or the USA, and has always practiced safe sex in the first place...

Uszi:

Esotera:

Problem is that antibiotics put enormous selective pressure on bacteria to develop resistance, and developing novel traits under extreme stress and then multiplying rapidly is the reason bacteria have been successful for billions of years.

Case in point: If you're treatment is 99.9999999% effective at killing bacteria, if that 0.00000001% develops a hard resistance, then it will quickly multiply since it has no competition from other bacteria, until 100% of the surviving bacteria are now resistant.

This is always why its a very serious problem that we're over prescribing antibiotics.

Natural Selection doesn't really apply. Bacteria don't breed, they replicate.

2xDouble:

Uszi:

Esotera:

Natural Selection doesn't give a fuck if you replicate, breed or clone yourself with a malfunctioning transporter. If there's even the slightest difference between two offsprings they will be differently affected by their environment.
If Natural Selection didn't affect asexually reproducing individuals then why are bacteria becoming resistant, why are viruses changing, why can we make E. coli grow in an environment it could by definition not survive?

2xDouble:

Uszi:

Esotera:

Natural Selection certainly applies. Natural Selection only concerns itself with extant organisms. Adaptation/Evolution requires multiple generations with inheritable genetic material (and bacteria may not breed, but they still have multiple generations - even if you don't want to acknowledge horizontal transmission).

2xDouble:

Bleh. From Wikipedia: "Natural selection is the gradual, non-random process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers."

So, yeah, bacteria replicate. And their replication is imperfect due to mutations and horizontal transmission.

This leads to variable survivability and fecundity, which leads to some strains of bacteria replicating more successfully than other strains.

i.e., natural selection.

To claim that it doesn't apply to bacteria because they don't bang is a little silly, especially since experiments with bacteria have been used to prove natural selection can give rise to new, beneficial traits.

2xDouble:

Uszi:

Esotera:

Well Antibiotics normally prevent them from from creating new cells walls, so they break apart when they replicate.

It applies.

My opinion? I already knew that. I mean more than half of antibiotics are used in livestock. Antibiotics are being dangerously overused.

You guys can talk about how you don't care but I'm just gonna say I find this pretty horrifying.

I mean, yeah, not like I'm gonna get it since I'm not fucking random bitches without a condom, but still.

Esotera:

The problem is, antibiotics targeting permanent biochemical targets will probably be heavy-duty and indiscriminate. Not pleasant. We'll just have to accept continuous antibiotic adaptation to target the new chemical structures of bacteria, that they have a limited lifespan for effectiveness and need to be modified every so often.

And also ban the excessive use in livestock.

2xDouble:

Bacteria is beholden to random mutation, natural selection and evolution just like everything else that's alive.

If there's ever proof of evolution being terrifying, it's bacteria out-adapting the entire scientific community of planet earth.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked