10 million. 10 years

Pages 1 2 NEXT

i've seen this question posed as both a motivational tool and a career adviser and it occurred to me the other day that i really don't have a good enough answer so i'm looking for suggestions.

ok so you rock up to the doctor and he tells you you have a rare form of cancer and will die in exactly 10 years. feeling sorry for you he hands you 10 million dollars and sends you on your way.

so how do you spend said 10 million dollars?

EDIT: seems ppl are missing the point. the idea is to discover what you truly want out of life and what you could do with a large amount of resources

Mostly give it away I guess. I am guna die in 10 years. What do I need 10 million dollars for?

...hookers and blow?

Seriously though, I think I'd probably share half of it out among a few friends that have kids but not much money. The rest I'd spend on heroin. Some forms of cancer can be very painful I hear.

1. Buy a Steam Train and drive it up and down the country.
2. Convert said Steam Train into a house.
3. Suddenly realise my dream cost more than I thought & take out a loan to help pay for it.
4. Die before I can pay back the loan.
5. My Steam Train is donated to some wacky museum and I go down as a hero before Railway fanatics.

Use it to fund finding a cure for said cancer.

I would quite like a pirate ship. But I would also try to ensure financial stability for my loved ones.

Hell, was that all I had to do to get a quick 10 million? Contract a cancer that only kills me after a good decade? Sign me up.

Travel, travel fucking everywhere.

Spambot 3000:
Use it to fund finding a cure for said cancer.

Or this.

Probably travel. You could go everywhere (within reason) with 10 years and $10 million.

lechat:

EDIT: seems ppl are missing the point. the idea is to discover what you truly want out of life and what you could do with a large amount of resources

The problem is, having a set deadline (ye gods, the puns!) means you do not have to take the responsibility for what you do up until then. So in the end any such question results in people saying not what they want out of life and what they could do with a large amount of resources, but just what they'd be doing if they could get away with never having to live with any responsibility.

However it is a deeper question than it seems, because the answer seems to imply that the main reason humanity has ever accomplished anything is because we're subconsciously afraid to die.

Hire assassins to kill all my enemies. Then hire some "good" lawyers to keep the police of my back.

Honestly? The drinking and whoring would kill me before the cancer could get a look in.

Oooh this is like something out of supernatural.
I'd buy an oil rig and make it a countr... dammit, beaten there.
Well I assume funding the cancer research and praying is out of the question, so maybe I'd buy a huge area of land in the desert and put a huge dome over it and make the hunger games IRL
Ooooh oooh oooh or I'd make Skyrim IRL.

lechat:
i've seen this question posed as both a motivational tool and a career adviser and it occurred to me the other day that i really don't have a good enough answer so i'm looking for suggestions.

ok so you rock up to the doctor and he tells you you have a rare form of cancer and will die in exactly 10 years. feeling sorry for you he hands you 10 million dollars and sends you on your way.

so how do you spend said 10 million dollars?

-
As mental exercises go, I suspect that mixing death into the formula is going to skew some answers.

The funny thing is, I came up with my version of psychological distance before I even knew what it was. I found it here:
http://www.spring.org.uk/2012/06/psychological-distance-10-fascinating-effects-of-a-simple-mind-hack.php

Their example:

2. Generate self-insight

When things go wrong in life and you're trying to work out why, psychological distance can help:

"...directing people to analyze their feelings surrounding negative autobiographical experiences from a self-distanced perspective (i.e., thinking about oneself from the perspective of a "fly on the wall"), in comparison to a self-immersed perspective (first-person perspective), leads them to experience less emotional and physiological reactivity in the short term, while buffering them against negative outcomes associated with rumination over time." (Ayduk & Kross, 2010)

My version:

Ask yourself if you're unhappy about anything in your life right now. Is it something that you have the power to change? Now, imagine your life ten years from now, only everything is exactly the same. Does that make you unhappy?

If so, imagine you are the future version of you. What would you tell yourself right now to change your life? What would you start doing differently today so that you don't end up the same, unhappy person 10 years from now?

Granted, the point of the $10 million dollar exercise and my exercise aren't the same, but it's all I got.

Get married then go on to buy and collect video games, with a 2 complete copies of Earthbound (one being new SIB) as my wedding gift to myself. I would then play those games online, sort of how the Game Grumps or beardman or other Lets Players do. I would also go around to different conventions and pity my way into some Channel Awesome, Blistered Thumbs and various other sexy, famous internet people videos as a guest. I would basically just want to meet all sorts of Z-list Internet celebrities and hang out in between shooting my own gameplay videos. In my final days I would likely auction off my game collection and whatever valuables I still have (if you can call my crap valuable) and distribute my wealth to various charities. I would want my body compressed into a crystal of some sort so my girlfriend (then wife) will always be have a part of me to keep on hand. This wouldn't likely eat up all $10 million but it's fine; she'll be able to live out the rest of her days in financial comfort which would greatly put my mind at ease. Not that she's poor now...or that I'm a good provider in general...I just wouldn't want to leave her worse off...I kind of hurt now...

Live as normal, and save it until just under ten years later, then we find out what ten million dollars worth of LSD looks like.

If I'm gonna die, it's going to an interesting experience.

Finance my first feature length movie and try to recoup enough for a second film and keep the ball rolling. Meanwhile, buy a nice bachelor pad and set up a comfy living HQ while I travel around the world. Oh and leave a sizeable amount to my family, of course.

10 Years? That's plenty of time. I'd buy the best gaming computer I could find, buy a bunch of games, probably a new TV as well.
I'd probably be able to live those 10 years with the money left over.

Dull, unambitious, and slightly sad? Yes.

I'd go globe trekking, See all those places I wanted to see. probably end my tour on top of some big snowy mountain... or on the Antarctic... or even space if i can manage that

EDIT: and by "end" I mean "die there"

Pretty much making my dreams come true and living my life to the fullest. Granted I won't spend it all in those remaining years and I intend to give the rest to my friends and family before I died.
In saying so however, 10 million should be enough to put me into cyrogensis into a deep sleep until a cure is found (but by then everything I know would of been gone, tought decision).

I'd like to give it away, it#s hard to give money away and not spend on stuff and entertainment instead, but I think if I received it in a large block without even having to work for it, then thats the situation where I might be able to give away despite weaknesses, because the money isn't real to me.

You could seriously improve the lives of a lot of people with 10 million. It would be tempting to keep some and give it out as rewards to good webcomics and the like or keep enough for a cosy life, but giving it away would be better

On boring stuff about love and romance, most likely.

And a very extravagant, overpriced, overpowered computer.

I would spend my days in the company of the one I love, playing video games and writing stories, hoping I finish them before my time is up. EDIT: Also, I'd love to visit Europe. Specifically Italy, but France and the UK as well.

Ideally, at least. I'm sure something would go wrong along the way.

Very boring, but actually buy a house instead of renting, and give the rest to my children so they're sorted for life.

Maybe a bit of alcohol too, and parties!

Create an accurate, full size replica of a Spanish Galleon, hire a crew of Old Timey sailors, sail the high seas for 10 years, from port to port, all over the world, all the while throwing out messages in bottles that have the location of the final resting place of the Ayatollah of Rock-N-Rolla hinted at in the form of a series of riddles, at the end of the 10 years I will bid my crew a fond farewell, holding an extravagant feast in the world's finest restaurant, then I will set off on my own, somehow, to some secret Island or secluded reef and scuttle my vessel, going down with the ship, as it were.

At this time the messages in the bottles will have made their rounds, and hopefully someone will have figured out the riddles, they will find the Ayatollah of Rock-N-Rolla and my dead deceased corpse, and in the captains cabin they will find a chest filled with however much left over money I had in the form of precious metals and gems, but that probably won't be much, in their rage the treasure hunters will throw the chest across the room, and they will notice somehting else fall out of the chest, pictures of smiling children, happy families, and loving couples, and they will realize that all along the real treasure was their family and friends, and that no amounts of Spanish Galleons will ever amount to the love of another human being, then they will take a look at my skeleton and notice I was clutching something in my hand, it's a photo of me and my crew, having a wonderful time at our final feast, and a tear will come to their eye.

Then they will make a movie about it, The Love Galleon.

give it back,

who in there right mind would trust someone who just has 10 million dollars in his back pockets

alternatively id ask him where he got those adventure game sized pockets.

VeryOddGamer:
10 Years? That's plenty of time. I'd buy the best gaming computer I could find, buy a bunch of games, probably a new TV as well.
I'd probably be able to live those 10 years with the money left over.

Dull, unambitious, and slightly sad? Yes.

Some people may say it's sad, personally I think it sounds relaxing as hell. No concerns, no worries, just you, your amazing computer and games.

Although my version also includes booze. Lots of booze.

Have kids, tell them of all this money I have, save 5 million of it and about a few weeks before I die, pretend to turn crazy and spend it all on food that will soon be out of date.

I'd fund an expedition to the moon to build my shrine and crypt. I would be the first man buried outside of earth.

1) Fund the RPG my friends and I are making so it will be the best game EVER.

2) Get the most kickass gaming rig ever and get tons of games to play.

3) Live in relative comfort and simplicity (small condo, etc)

4) Make sure I have a nice chunk left over at the end to give to my family and girlfriend to help them out as well.

5) Make sure I get a witty tombstone.

6) Die semi content, but also very frustrated that I only lived to be 34.

id give 2.5 mill each to my mom and brother and 4 to my misses and use the remaining mill to enjoy myself (id go for yearly trips to the alps and finally learn to snowboard, buy myself a caterham super 7 to drive around the track i live next to(TT assen) and probably spend ludicrious ammounts of money to go cycling everywhere on my newly aquired fancy pants mountainbike.. whatevers left of my mill when i die will go to the single mom across the road from me... (dunno how she scrapes by on her allowance)

split it between everyone who's supported me over the years. they deserve recompense. also, i would make sure my current support received extra to ensure maximum compensation for the next 10 years. i don't need/want anything. but if i have something to give, then that's what i'm gonna do with it.

Give 9 Million to my family, use the last for myself - and try to die as happy as possible.

C'est la vie

1. Pay off my immediate families debts.
2. Continue doing what I typically do (working towards career goals, gaming, and so forth)
3. Plenty of travel sprinkled throughout

Fly to Vegas

Blow it in a week

Jump off the Hoover Dam.

Set up a game studio, use the dosh to make an indie game with the story I've always wanted to tell, get it published by Sega, give the IP rights to my co-workers, give whatever money is left from the initial 10 million and some of the profits of my game to various charities, live until my illness really gets in the way of everyday life, get assisted suicide via lethal injection administered by a trained doctor, have a small funeral during which the Kingdom Hearts 2 version of Dearly Beloved will play as people are leaving.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked