Do you play an instrument?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

EscapeGoat:
Go folk instruments are awesome club!

Woo! I love me some folk instruments, I've just started collecting them up.

I have and play at present:

- PRS SE Paul Allender Signature (Cradle of Filth guitarist)

- Epiphone SG. I know little else more than this.

- Ibanez RG7321, probably my main guitar at the moment.

- BC Rich Mockingbird with a Floyd Rose tremolo, which used to be my main guitar until the Ibanez.

All of these played through a Randall RH50T stack which just sounds so good, both clean and distorted. I also have a Boss GT-10 effects board which is just fantastic, every effect you could think of in one easy to use piece of kit.

- Two Yamaha acoustic guitars, one of which was bought very recently and barely cost anything, but still sounds beautiful. The other sounds less beautiful, but is older than I am, so there's that.

- Kramer Bass, which came with the bass amp as part of a starting set. I've had that for a couple of years and play bass to an OK standard I guess.

- Roland V-Drum set, primarily because acoustic drums are incredibly loud. It sounds OK but it's a surprising difference between that and a normal drum kit in terms of how tensile the toms, snare and cymbal are.

- A CB Drum kit, with a Pearl double bass pedal and a set of Sabian cymbals. The cymbals and bass pedal sounds amazing, the kit... well. I guess it's alright, but I don't really get the opportunity to play it outside of band rehearsals.

- A Stagg mandolin, which hasn't been played in a while but I do love playing me some Irish folk on that thing. Which I guess leads perfectly to my most recent acquisition...

- My Ozark tenor banjo! Which I've been pleading for for some time now. It was so worth it.

- Last but not least, a nondescript ukelele of some sort, because who doesn't have random ukeleles just lying around?

I also sing (incredibly badly) and play keyboard/piano, although that tends to only be at school because I don't have a keyboard anymore.

I hope to become a bassist sometime soon. To do that, though, I plan to first learn the basics of guitar from a friend of mine.

I know another friend with 5 guitars and a ukelele. He plays 'em excellently too. So jealous.

I play Piano and Trumpet.

I passed my Grade 8 Piano recently (woo go me!)

And I'm doing my Grade 7 Trumpet this year.

Nope, but my brothers do. One plays the baritone and the other plays the tuba. Although I've wanted to learn how to play either the harmonica or guitar.

Or this. I would also like to learn how to play this.

5-0:
Exquisite tastes sir! I'm also a drummer, rocking a Mapex M Birch with 12" and 16" toms and a 24" bass drum.
My cymbal set up is a little similar to yours:
-14" Sabian XS20 hihats
-16 and 18" AAXplosion crashes
-Sabian XS20 rock ride
-Sabian AAX 10" Splash
- 20" Dream Lion China
-Gibraltar double kick pedal

Also here at uni I have a Roland TD4K2 electronic kit, and a cajon for acoustic stuff.

Is drums your first instrument? How long have you been playing for? Seven years for me.

I say the same to you my friend!

Ahhh, I see you have a huge China and a double-kick pedal. Do you play any metal stuff at all? I recently got my double-kick pedal, so I'm still pretty terrible at using it. XD

I have actually been playing the cajon quite a bit, but I don't own one myself.

My first instrument was piano, which I was classically trained on for about 10 years. I started dabbling in percussion while I was still on piano, but didn't take it seriously until I stopped taking formal piano lessons and got a kit myself.
I have been seriously playing drums for about 5-6 years and I really enjoy it.

These are mine:

I also recently got a cheap banjo, a cajon and I have a Ludwig Drumkit. Mostly itīs the acoustic guitar for me though. I absolutely love my Martin. I play mostly fingerstyle and folk stuff. Lots of Davy Graham, Leo Kottke and the likes.

I have tried to play the piano so I could play final fantasy tunes on it. I was okay at it; but being busy has left the family piano (a gift) as a thing that people put pictures on instead of an instrument...

I play bass with a 1970s SG copy (Sounds at good as a real one ;))

I'll throw up a link to a song from my band, so you can hear my bassing ;)

And our Facebook if you like ;)

http://www.facebook.com/witnesstotreason

Oh and a pic, It's only two green strings now :(

Clarinet player here! Well... ex-player. I played it for about 6 years at school and then gave it up because I couldn't be arsed going to the "lessons" in the middle of a class because *shockhorror* my classes were more fun than skipping them. I'm weird like that...

I also never bothered to do any grades cos I'm a lazy, cheap so and so, but managed to blag my way into First Clarinet in the school&area orchestra(s) (where you were supposed to be grade 5 or 6 I dont remember which).

A_Parked_Car:

I say the same to you my friend!

Ahhh, I see you have a huge China and a double-kick pedal. Do you play any metal stuff at all? I recently got my double-kick pedal, so I'm still pretty terrible at using it. XD

I have actually been playing the cajon quite a bit, but I don't own one myself.

My first instrument was piano, which I was classically trained on for about 10 years. I started dabbling in percussion while I was still on piano, but didn't take it seriously until I stopped taking formal piano lessons and got a kit myself.
I have been seriously playing drums for about 5-6 years and I really enjoy it.

Yes, my background is in rock, but I've progressed to metal in recent years as a result of my tastes changing and getting a double pedal two years ago now. I think I'm fairly good with it; it's funny, when I first got it I thought "right, I'm just going to get to this certain speed and then stop, cause the music I'm into doesn't need it to be any faster", but now I'm like "MOAR SPEED". Same with wanting to learn blastbeats now. The best thing about double pedal is that non-drummers are totally impressed that you can do stuff with your feet and hands at the same time. I still don't know how I do it! The china's big, loud and trashy, but not very dynamic. I bought it on a whim used cause it was cheap, and I like it, but it's got limited application. In future I'll probably get something like a Sabian HHX or Paragon.

I've always had an interest in percussion; I did African drumming before high school, and then when I started at high school I saw they were offering drum lessons and thought "yeah, why not", then discovered it was like the coolest thing ever. I got a cajon when my old band wanted to do acoustic stuff. Now I want to learn guitar and write songs, but that'll be at some point in the distant future.

It would be cool to continue this conversation via PM, I always like talking to fellow drummers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked