Kindergartner suspended for pink bubble gun threat

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Now I can understand someone working at a school would be a little concerned if they heard about a conversation in which a girl said "I'm going to shoot you and I will shoot myself." Naturally I'd make sure to ask the girl about it when I saw her. My line of questioning would go along the lines of: "I heard you said you were going shoot somebody at the bus stop this morning. What's that about?" "Pink bubble gun? That shoots bubbles right?" "Well okay then, have a nice day. But from now on try not to say you're going to shoot people. That can scare people who might not know what you're talking about."

What I would NOT do is question a FIVE YEAR OLD GIRL for THREE HOURS, WITHOUT her parents present, suspended her for making a "terroristic threat," and told her parents she needed to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. And if it was my daughter, I wouldn't simply be demanding an apology and an expunged record, I'd be looking for a transfer because there is NO WAY i'd be letting these idiots have anything to do with her education.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/19/16602312-kindergartner-suspended-for-pink-bubble-gun-threat?lite=

I believe in gun control and I believe in taking threats seriously. This however is exactly the type of paranoid hysteria that the far right gun nuts suffer from (And no I do not mean that as a blanket grouping of ALL gun owners). Bullying of any kind is deplorable, and authority figures going out of their way to terrorize a student in such a manor is inexcusable. As I said I wouldn't trust these people with my children, and I sure as hell wouldn't trust them with firearms.

Questioning a five-year old girl for three hours without her parents, during which time it apparently never came to light that she was talking about a Hello Kitty gun that shot bubbles and happiness.

You stay classy, America.

Why am I not surprised? This isn't exactly rare, although questioning a five year old girl of all people is just pure inexcusable idiocy.

5 year olds who shoot bubbles through a cute pink hello kitty bubble gun are now considered eligible for terrorism...

...you know what, I am not even surprised anymore.

Public Schools are fucking lunatics. What do you expect? You can't even trip without somehow getting suspended.

What is there to say really, other than the adults responsible for this are incredibly stupid? Anyone who has spent even a modicum of time around young children will know that the amount of rubbish that comes out their mouths is legendary, taking anything they say immediately at face value without a little scepticism is a recipe for disaster.

I would say I'm surprised by how insanely sensitive people are but that'd be lying.
It's shit like this that reinforces my misanthropy.

You know what would have been awesome? If those administrators and teachers had been carrying weapons. Just sayin'

I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times, we need someone overseeing things to make sure nobody's doing or saying something fucking stupid. It makes me sad to think we need such a thing, but now we apparently do.

All you guys criticizing the school's decision obviously haven't been shot in the eye with a bubble gun.

Completely justified in my opinion.

Zero Tolerance policies: treating five year olds like criminals since 1990.

Comocat:
You know what would have been awesome? If those administrators and teachers had been carrying weapons. Just sayin'

Suddenly, images of a fat high school teacher with a redneck accent pointing a gun at a 5 year old, innocent looking girl while shouting "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND YOU MUSLIM BITCH" shoot into my head. I kinda feel guilty for finding that amusing.

OT: I don't understand why they had to question her for 3 hours and threaten her with jail. It's a fucking kid, for fucks sake. You can probably get more out of her by offering her candy. (And I mean that in a non rapist way.)

This is exactly the kind of thing a 5-year-old would say to seem cool to her friends.

DVS BSTrD:
Bullying of any kind is deplorable

I'd agree, but I don't know the situation. Did the kid she was going to 'shoot' know it was with some toy gun? Or was that kid actually scared?

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Comocat:

Suddenly, images of a fat high school teacher with a redneck accent pointing a gun at a 5 year old, innocent looking girl while shouting "GET DOWN ON THE GROUND YOU MUSLIM BITCH" shoot into my head. I kinda feel guilty for finding that amusing.

OT: I don't understand why they had to question her for 3 hours and threaten her with jail. It's a fucking kid, for fucks sake. You can probably get more out of her by offering her candy. (And I mean that in a non rapist way.)

Or maybe they could have held the gun to her doll. "Tell us, WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR or so help me good Binky gets it!"

But seriously, public schools are such a grab bag of people that it's not surprising shit like this happens. In live in Houston and assuming you have a pulse and speak passable English you can be a sub. The district will give you 10k if you are a science teacher and willing to sit in a classroom for a year. There are a lot of people who love their job and their students, but the Peter Principle has an exponential effect and education it's unreal.

Fear the bubbles .... FEAR THEM.

There's paranoia and then there is bat shit fucking nuts.

I highly doubt a 5 year old would wake up one morning and think "I know, today i'm going to commit acts of terrorism. My weapon of choice? .... this pink bubble gun .... it's foolproof and the world shall tremble".

I really hope the parents of the kids that go to that school move them all.

Would you trust those morons with your childs education?

Tom_green_day:
This is exactly the kind of thing a 5-year-old would say to seem cool to her friends.

DVS BSTrD:
Bullying of any kind is deplorable

I'd agree, but I don't know the situation. Did the kid she was going to 'shoot' know it was with some toy gun? Or was that kid actually scared?

I don't believe the teachers heard it from the kid she was actually talking to if that one sentence was all they were told.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Zero Tolerance policies: treating five year olds like criminals since 1990.

People who believe in zero tolerance were obviously never kids themselves, or they're so fucking pacifist they should be reclassified as lemmings.

DVS BSTrD:
I believe in gun control and I believe in taking threats seriously. This however is exactly the type of paranoid hysteria that the far right gun nuts suffer from

Yeah, see, you say that but in reality the kid could have actually masked a real gun as a bubble gun and used it to kill everybody. Just wait until you hear about Barbie doll shivs and the home made toy car bombs.

To be fair it was this little girl:

This is just pretty ridiculous, that it could go on for so long is insane, apparently there is also the risk that this suspension goes on her permanent record, which I hope is quashed, if not for the sake of sanity, for the sake of media outrage.

I see over sensitive school bodies are digging to new lows in blatant stupidity and over reacting again. I think I'd rather never have children myself so I'd never have to deal with these type of idiots.

DoPo:

DVS BSTrD:
I believe in gun control and I believe in taking threats seriously. This however is exactly the type of paranoid hysteria that the far right gun nuts suffer from

Yeah, see, you say that but in reality the kid could have actually masked a real gun as a bubble gun and used it to kill everybody. Just wait until you hear about Barbie doll shivs and the home made toy car bombs.

Wait does this mean lego bricks on the floor could be classed as weapons?

This is just deplorable, and it's bullying to it's most illogical extreme.

You know what I find absolutely hilarious though? This is the same school system that let me manufacture and carry prop guns within the school. In my senior year at high school I had a clay class: In that class I made full-size replicas of the Plasma pistols, brute plasma rifle, Covenant Carbine, and Grenades from the Halo series. They were openly carried out of the school. In other words: our system is run by morons, and it's terrible.

Ok I admit I would be worried when she said that statement as if too much media has taken over the innocent mind but for over a pink bubble gun? Granted she should of have it with her but yet again that statement alone is pretty much a fear button being pressed given to the recent incident with guns.

What is the world coming to - Political correctness gone mad - I blame the tabloids

blah blah

While what she said had merit to be taken seriously (you never know what can happen if a kid's parents don't follow any gun storage safety rules), interrogating her for 3 hours was definitely not the way to go.

Basic deductive questioning such as "With what?" and "Why?" could have shut this whole thing down in 5 minutes.

Also, if they think kids saying they'll shoot each other is cause for grave concern, I'm pretty sure they've forgotten that all kids like and play with when they're young (especially boys) is toy guns. Crap, I wonder if these people have ever even heard of Nerf guns...

As for suspending her anyway: FUCK. YOU.

The Artificially Prolonged:

DoPo:

DVS BSTrD:

Of course! You've heard of caltrops, yes? How do you think LEGO pieces started off? It was evil murdering children that disguised them as "toys".

DoPo:

The Artificially Prolonged:

DoPo:

Of course! You've heard of caltrops, yes? How do you think LEGO pieces started off? It was evil murdering children that disguised them as "toys".

Well then clearly these nurseries are aiding tiny insurgents and must be stopped! I for one will never step foot in a nursery again without steel toe boots less I fall victim to one of their cunning traps :P

Paranoia, damned paranoia. Can we all go up to those guys and smack them for jumping to conclusions? Assuming can get people in deeper shit than ignorance, it seems.

And if America continues this, I swear I'm getting out of there. New Zealand has never looked this appealing before...

Did anyone else read the thread title as "pink bubble GUM"? Not that this is much better, but my immediate reaction to that was that the school system had officially gone overboard.
Anyway, as pathetic as this is it's not the first "zero tolerance" horror story I've come across. I remember reading about a few in a school essay last year:

Kindergartner suspended for hugging another girl his age (sexual harassment)
Kid suspended for packing a plastic butter knife in his lunch (not used as weapon, I might add.)

As someone said above, stay classy America.

Baneat:
What is the world coming to - Political correctness gone mad - I blame the tabloids

blah blah

You really are an Extra Credits fan aren't you? :P /jk

SanAndreasSmoke:
Did anyone else read the thread title as "pink bubble GUM"? Not that this is much better, but my immediate reaction to that was that the school system had officially gone overboard.
Anyway, as pathetic as this is it's not the first "zero tolerance" horror story I've come across. I remember reading about a few in a school essay last year:

Kindergartner suspended for hugging another girl his age (sexual harassment)
Kid suspended for packing a plastic butter knife in his lunch (not used as weapon, I might add.)

As someone said above, stay classy America.

That's what I thought to when I read the article: "How do you shoot someone with gum?"

Ahhh zero tolerance. And the conservatives wonder why kids started school shootings to begin with.
"Sorry kid, you made the wrong mistake and now everyone's given up on you forever. You'll never amount to anything.
And by the way have this automatic rife and listen to our 24 hour news channel about how everyone is evil and the world is a horrible place."

'MURICAH! FUCK YEAH!

Can someone hire me to teach ALL stupid Americans basic logic and proper behaviour.

Punishment for doing something stupid such as saying "OH MAI GAWD THAT LIL GIRL IS A TERURRIST!" is no burgers for a month so the stakes will be high for them to at least try not fucking up.

My prediction is that 63.24% of the class will not make it out alive. Also I am well aware that I sound insane right now.

Well, the reason they do hilariously overboard, immensely retarded and ridiculously paranoid shit like this is because they're absolutely terrified that someone somewhere is going to sue them. It's the same reason why they take sharp (read: Anything at less than a 140 degree angle) things out of playgrounds or ban people from using butterknives. If you want to stop things like this, I'd think the first thing you'd want to do is establish a way to make sure that schools are protected from unreasonable lawsuits.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not excusing the 3-hour questioning of a child who probably barely understands the concept of zero, but I'm saying it's a symptom of the real problem.

Does anyone else find it funny that the same people who refuse to listen to children and basically shrug off anything they say (kids don't know what they're talking about; I'm an adult!) are the same ones who believe children are capable of "terroristic threats"?

People have way too much time on their hands and are way too bored to not fuck with others.

I read this as pink bubble gum threat. The actual story, whilst possible slightly less fun, is just as ridiculous.

When I was a kid, I used to have a little laser gun that made laser noises when you shot it, that was worse than this and I never got arrested as a terrorist.

Cant help but think this never would have happened if all children and staff carried bubble guns as a precaution.

Schools are retarded. They'll let bullying continue as long as it's not violent, but as soon as someone says a bad word, talks about weapons (in any context), or does something deemed "out of line."

My sister was suspended for being in the same room as someone who said the "n-word" and the person who said it didn't even use it offensively.

Well it's perfectly reasonable, I mean we all know that the 911 terrorist used Imperial Miracle Bubbles in order to cause mass destruction, and bubble bath solution has been the favored WMD of the IRA for years.

And now for my internal monologue: CAUTION HARSH LANGUAGE AHEAD.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here