Kindergartner suspended for pink bubble gun threat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Soooooo the terrorist really have won. Your such a panic stricken nation. Fix yourself up kids, before you travel to far down the path and diaper sales soar cause you can't clench anymore.

If you've ever been to a US airport, then you already know how stupid those people become when something vaguely resembling a terrorist act is hinted at.

I'm with 90% or more of the other posters on this topic: It was a stupid overreaction to a trivial problem.

As comical and infuriating as this is, I can see it from their side. These people would have thought the Sandy Hook incident would be impossible, before it happened. Now all bets are off and they're not taking chances. Yes, they were wrong. But she did say "I'm going to shoot you then shoot myself." Yeah, I know she was probably saying "here have some bubbles. I will also have some bubbles. Bubbles are the best." but the phrase is pretty messed up. What if she heard this on the news or something? Or maybe someone said this to her, someone who could mean harm? There are far too many variables to leave it as "nothing." She SHOULD be spoken to by a professional. One that knows how to talk to 5 year olds.

But, as it is, that school needs to be dealt with and the people need to face the consequences of their actions.

wulf3n:
Because it's impossible for a 5 year old in america to get access to a firearm and shoot someone... oh wait!

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Judge-allows-paralyzed-dad-to-sue-Glock-3732408.php
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/3-year-old-accidentally-shoots-dad-death-family-watches-tv-article-1.1116267
http://news.yahoo.com/police-boy-3-accidentally-shoots-kills-father-indiana-194550171.html
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/09/24/father-hospitalized-after-3-year-old-son-shoots-him.html
http://www.wistv.com/story/19025894/police-3-year-old-shot-father
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/12/3-year-old-shoots-and-kills-5-year-old-in-colorado/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/07/boy-shoots-sister-philadelphia_n_2257939.html
http://fox4kc.com/2013/01/15/four-year-old-child-shoots-kills-man-in-virginia/
http://kstp.com/article/stories/s2856614.shtml

not wishing to play devils advocate but it's not exactly implausible.

I'd still think they could of questioned her for 5 minutes and see which gun she was talking about .. that would of resolved everything. And cases like those are rare, only a few compared to other problems schools have to face. Besides that, I really think the staff went overboard and to send a kid into jail is WAY over the top. I would just take my kid out of that school, they can't obviously be reasonable adults or try to think "Kids are young and immature, they aren't really going to be actual terrorists." I mean, yea.

Tiger Sora:
Soooooo the terrorist really have won. Your such a panic stricken nation. Fix yourself up kids, before you travel to far down the path and diaper sales soar cause you can't clench anymore.

Are you kidding? When would we ever be safe enough to unclench?

MeChaNiZ3D:
If you've ever been to a US airport, then you already know how stupid those people become when something vaguely resembling a terrorist act is hinted at.

I'm with 90% or more of the other posters on this topic: It was a stupid overreaction to a trivial problem.

Which is why I'll never fly in America again.

DVS BSTrD:
The difference is none of those kids actually planned to shoot anybody, and probably didn't realize what they were doing when they fired those guns. Again, a few simple questions would have cleared it all right up but no. Apparently the right to keep and bear some common fucking sense and basic human decency has been revoked.

That's besides the point, the articles show that children can get access to firearms, so it's entirely possible a 5 year old saying they'll shoot their classmates could very well mean a 5 year old shooting their class mates with a real firearm.

Caramel Frappe:
I'd still think they could of questioned her for 5 minutes and see which gun she was talking about .. that would of resolved everything. And cases like those are rare, only a few compared to other problems schools have to face. Besides that, I really think the staff went overboard and to send a kid into jail is WAY over the top. I would just take my kid out of that school, they can't obviously be reasonable adults or try to think "Kids are young and immature, they aren't really going to be actual terrorists." I mean, yea.

Perhaps, but we don't really know what line of questioning was going on, maybe like me you initially had an image of 2 six-foot FBI special agents slamming books into tables shining lamps onto the poor girls face, but the more I think about it, I'd wager they were just trying to find out about the girls family life, find out why she would say she was going to shoot a bunch of people.

Also she wasn't sent to jail, she told her mum that she could go to jail, which is probably a misinterpretation of what the teachers told her.

The suspension may have been a bit much.

Comocat:
You know what would have been awesome? If those administrators and teachers had been carrying weapons. Just sayin'

I have a solution that will solve the issue of teachers potentially being dangerous to students due to weapons (though they could have easily hurt her without being that she is 5 years old.) Stop letting idiots into the education system! I know it is just a few people in a large system, but still people like this should not be teaching.

Has Hello Kitty gone too far?
Are schoolchildren in league with the Taliban?
Will America ever grow a brain?
And when was the last time you even saw Bill Cosby?

All this and more, on the next Kids Say the Darnedest Things.

wulf3n:

DVS BSTrD:
The difference is none of those kids actually planned to shoot anybody, and probably didn't realize what they were doing when they fired those guns. Again, a few simple questions would have cleared it all right up but no. Apparently the right to keep and bear some common fucking sense and basic human decency has been revoked.

That's besides the point, the articles show that children can get access to firearms, so it's entirely possible a 5 year old saying they'll shoot their classmates could very well mean a 5 year old shooting their class mates with a real firearm.

So then if you were REALLY concerned, you'd call the parents straight away and ask if their kid had access to firearms. 3 fucking hours of interrogation and they act like she's a danger to herself and her classmates.

Well... she may not have been before they started treating her like a criminal.

DVS BSTrD:
So then if you were REALLY concerned, you'd call the parents straight away and ask if their kid had access to firearms.

You're making the assumption that they didn't try to contact the parents first.

DVS BSTrD:

3 fucking hours of interrogation and they act like she's a danger to herself and her classmates.

Interrogation! so you know what went on during their questioning? you know what was asked? please enlighten us.

wulf3n:

DVS BSTrD:
So then if you were REALLY concerned, you'd call the parents straight away and ask if their kid had access to firearms.

If they had, this would have been settled a LOT quicker

DVS BSTrD:

3 fucking hours of interrogation and they act like she's a danger to herself and her classmates.

Interrogation! so you know what went on during their questioning? you know what was asked? please enlighten us.

Anything more than what I posted in the OP would be excessive, unnecessary and cruel. Suspending her for making a "terrorist threat", telling her she could go to jail, and telling her parents she needed to be evaluated by a psychiatrist? Over a bubble gun? Do these sound like reasonable people to you? Whatever they DID ask her they sure as fuck weren't listening to her answers.

wulf3n:

DVS BSTrD:

DVS BSTrD:

The thing is, it was three hours. I admit, no one besides the people who were in the room know exactly what was said, but it was THREE HOURS. Without her parents present, I might add. That alone conjures up some pretty terrible thoughts. I got in serious trouble at school a couple of times, and even the most deplorable of situations don't call for three hours of conversation. Besides, she was five. I'm sure she was scared out of her wits, and didn't understand half of what was being said.

OT: I think it's sad when I can say that I'm not really surprised. But I can't really comment any further than that. I don't know how much has been left out of the story. What were the girl's exact words, for example? I know what was in the story, but that wasn't the entire conversation. What gave the school cause for such alarm? As mentioned above, I'd also like to know what they were talking about for three hours. And why weren't her parents there? Were they unreachable? Were they ignored? There's not enough here to form a cohesive opinion over, but what is reported on sounds pretty stupid.

There's only one answer to this: Blow up that school with all the idiots running it inside.

DVS BSTrD:

try was the key word in my post, you're assuming the parents were contactable within those 3 hours.

DVS BSTrD:

Anything more than what I posted in the OP would be excessive, unnecessary and cruel. Suspending her for making a "terrorist threat",

The suspension may have been excessive, but then I don't know all the facts.

DVS BSTrD:

telling her she could go to jail,

Is fairly common, at least where I'm from, a friend of mine (Police Officer) often gets asked by parents, to speak to their children if they've done something wrong.

DVS BSTrD:

and telling her parents she needed to be evaluated by a psychiatrist?

How can you be so sure she doesn't?

DVS BSTrD:

Over a bubble gun?

Do you even know when it was discovered it was a bubble gun?

DVS BSTrD:

Do these sound like reasonable people to you?

given the limited information we have been provided they sound like people taking the welfare of all they're responsible for very seriously, if not a little over zealous.

I'm trying to point out that most people in these situations seem to jump to conclusions based on little or no evidence and proceed to vilify people potentially ruining their lives when they may very well have done everything right.

Should she have been lectured on why what she said was wrong? Yes
Maybe talked to about the dangers of guns and why it's not ok to say she'll shoot someone? good idea
What happened here? No, not good, not good at all.

Change the policies, this is not a good response to the situation at hand, changes should be made to prevent this sort of extreme reactions.

Wow we made it one post before the "hur hur America" comments started. You people should really just start doing the 4chan thing where the response is always "lol americunts" I'm inclined to think you want to.

OT: stupid people being stupid, although its something of a damned if you do damned if you don't. If they hadn't had this reaction some parent may heard the child talking like that and flipped their shit, or if she did get a hold of some kind of weapon, even if was only a Airsoft or BB gun, and hurt someone the school would face harsh criticism for not doing something. As for the psychiatrist, it almost sounds like a good idea. Why the hell is a five year old saying things like that?

Most people are pretty reasonable, it's the few very strange ones we point and laugh at. There have always been stories like this and always will be, the only variable is context. Just move along.

I would mock this, but a few months ago here in the UK a policeman shot an old blind man with a taser because he thought the old guy's cane was a samurai sword.

I'm not even joking.

OT: People are stupid.

That is all.

wulf3n:

DVS BSTrD:

try was the key word in my post, you're assuming the parents were contactable within those 3 hours.

DVS BSTrD:

Anything more than what I posted in the OP would be excessive, unnecessary and cruel. Suspending her for making a "terrorist threat",

The suspension may have been excessive, but then I don't know all the facts.

DVS BSTrD:

telling her she could go to jail,

Is fairly common, at least where I'm from, a friend of mine (Police Officer) often gets asked by parents, to speak to their children if they've done something wrong.

DVS BSTrD:

and telling her parents she needed to be evaluated by a psychiatrist?

How can you be so sure she doesn't?

DVS BSTrD:

Over a bubble gun?

Do you even know when it was discovered it was a bubble gun?

DVS BSTrD:

Do these sound like reasonable people to you?

given the limited information we have been provided they sound like people taking the welfare of all they're responsible for very seriously, if not a little over zealous.

I'm trying to point out that most people in these situations seem to jump to conclusions based on little or no evidence and proceed to vilify people potentially ruining their lives when they may very well have done everything right.

If by the end of three hours they couldn't figure out that she didn't pose a threat to the welfare of the other students then they should be fired for incompetence. If you can't be bothered to ask for a simple explanation then you shouldn't be taking care of anyone, let alone other people's children.

And as I said before, if she didn't need to see a psychiatrist before, she probably will now. Not that I think what you said about the police officer to talk to her, but telling she could be taken away from her family (without even talking to her parents first) over something like this is something completely different.

You know what? While the reaction was stupidly overblown, the kid does need to learn that saying stuff like that is unacceptable. The way this kindy has gone about doing it is clearly pants-on-head-retarded, but something definitely needs to be done.

Well obviously this is fucking horrendous.

Credit where its due its a CREEPY as hell thing for a kid to say. Like how does a 6 year old know about murder suicide sprees? Its creepy to hear it from a kid. But the OP presented the right solution, ask what they mean, tell them saying those things isnt nice or appropriate and then get on with your life. Three hours? Jesus. What the fuck takes 3 hours to ask a 6 year old about terrorism. I mean seriously i imagine a 6 year old could fit everything they ever knew about terrorism on a post it note. What do they even say.

"DONT LIE TO US BITCH! WE KNOW YOU PLANTED THE DIRTY BOMB IN THE SANDBOX!"

"I like rainbows"

"YOU THINK THIS IS FUNNY? YOU THINK A BIOHAZARD ENDANGERING GOD FEARIN AMERICUNS IS FUNNY? WE FOUND YOU WITH THE SMOKING BUBBLE GUN, DONT THINK YOU CAN TALK YOUR WAY OUT OF THIS ONE! Gorram these terrorists. Indoctrinated so hard we cant even interrogate them... LETS SEE HOW YOU FEEL AFTER AN HOUR IN THE PIT"

"Dammit Joe... we need this... we need to finally get these bastards... this girl is the lead we need to finally uncover the terrorist ring... we need everything she can give us, numbers, names, locations, meetings... all of it. Shes probably got terrorist ties all over the country, we cant even begin to imagine how deep this goes..."

I for one want a recording of the interview. What the actual fuck was it. 2 hours 50 minutes of scared crying?

I hate when people in my country do stupid things like this. Makes the rest of us look bad.

I hope that little girl wasn't too shaken up by all this.

You can never be too careful. That little girl might be building a bomb with some plutonium she stole from the Libyans. Of course, maybe she only TOLD them she was building a bomb and is really building a time machine.

isolated incident with in the US borders that is a gross overreaction? check.
every body taking the time out of their busy day to bad moth the US, cause its the 'cool thing to do now'? check and check

this site is become rather tired and predictable far as being anti-America goes

DVS BSTrD:
If by the end of three hours they couldn't figure out that she didn't pose a threat to the welfare of the other students then they should be fired for incompetence. If you can't be bothered to ask for a simple explanation then you shouldn't be taking care of anyone, let alone other people's children.

According to the source article http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x964877896/Bubbles-shooter-5-suspended the little girl said she was going to shoot her friends then herself so they could all be together, and if that's what she told the teachers when asked why she wanted to shoot people I can see the conversation lasting 3 hours.

DVS BSTrD:

And as I said before, if she didn't need to see a psychiatrist before, she probably will now. Not that I think what you said about the police officer to talk to her, but telling she could be taken away from her family (without even talking to her parents first) over something like this is something completely different.

Now you're just filling in the gaps with your own biases. You don't know what was said, yet you're acting as though they threatened her with jail time, when they could just as well have said "saying things like that could get her sent to jail", while being unable to contact her parents.

DVS BSTrD:

What I would NOT do is question a FIVE YEAR OLD GIRL for THREE HOURS, WITHOUT her parents present, suspended her for making a "terroristic threat," and told her parents she needed to be evaluated by a psychiatrist. And if it was my daughter, I wouldn't simply be demanding an apology and an expunged record, I'd be looking for a transfer because there is NO WAY i'd be letting these idiots have anything to do with her education.

Aaaaaand that's where my brain broke.

At first, I thought this was going to be complaining solely about taking the gun seriously, and I had a rant prepared. But seriously guys, what in the flaming blue HELL?

lRookiel:
'MURICAH! FUCK YEAH!

Can someone hire me to teach ALL stupid Americans basic logic and proper behaviour.

That would be an exercise in futility, I'm afraid. I've been trying to teach my countrymen that for years now, to little avail.

DoPo:

DVS BSTrD:
I believe in gun control and I believe in taking threats seriously. This however is exactly the type of paranoid hysteria that the far right gun nuts suffer from

Yeah, see, you say that but in reality the kid could have actually masked a real gun as a bubble gun and used it to kill everybody. Just wait until you hear about Barbie doll shivs and the home made toy car bombs.

I'd say this pic is relevant:

Yes, that is a hello kitty AR-15. Apparently it's a custom paint job some guy did for his wife, but still. Hello Kitty AR-15.

Why do I have the feeling that home schooling is gonna get real popular real fast? With how paranoid people are getting over things, I'm just waiting for parents to take that approach. Not because they honestly feel that home schooling is right for their child's education, but because they don't trust them with anyone.

"You got to be asking yourself right now, did I shoot five bubbles, or six? I am not very good at counting past three, so you got to be asking yourself.

Do you feel lucky butt?"

More seriously though, what insanity has the United State's school system come to for this to happen? Are we really expecting "TERRUDRISTS" to come out from preschool nap time?

This is almost as dumb as the new borns denied entry on airplanes because they are on the terrorist watch list. Not their parents, babies have been denied the ability to fly because they share the name of a suspected terrorist.

Lovely Mixture:
Schools are retarded. They'll let bullying continue as long as it's not violent, but as soon as someone says a bad word, talks about weapons (in any context), or does something deemed "out of line."

My sister was suspended for being in the same room as someone who said the "n-word" and the person who said it didn't even use it offensively.

...What?

Really?

Would the whole school be suspended if I paid a child to grab a microphone and yell N@$$^& in the lunch room!

wulf3n:

DVS BSTrD:

According to the source article http://dailyitem.com/0100_news/x964877896/Bubbles-shooter-5-suspended the little girl said she was going to shoot her friends then herself so they could all be together, and if that's what she told the teachers when asked why she wanted to shoot people I can see the conversation lasting 3 hours.

DVS BSTrD:

Now you're just filling in the gaps with your own biases. You don't what was said, and you're acting as though they threatened her with jail time, when they could have just as well have said saying things like that could get her sent to jail, while being unable to contact her parents.

In the article you linked, it clearly states that they waited three hours before contacting the mother. It is also clear that they brought her in based entirely on second hand information. This incident was not even investigated properly. And I wasn't filling in the gaps, unless you live in a very strange town being sent to jail tends to involve being taken away from your family. I'm only giving them the benefit of the doubt in that they didn't directly threaten to send her to jail over this. And reducing "Terrorist threat" to "threat to harm others" doesn't change the fact that this not what happend at all. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and people too proud and too stupid to admit they made a mistake. These people vastly overstepped and abused their authority. They should be fired no matter what they "thought" she said.

Owyn_Merrilin:

DoPo:

DVS BSTrD:
I believe in gun control and I believe in taking threats seriously. This however is exactly the type of paranoid hysteria that the far right gun nuts suffer from

Yeah, see, you say that but in reality the kid could have actually masked a real gun as a bubble gun and used it to kill everybody. Just wait until you hear about Barbie doll shivs and the home made toy car bombs.

I'd say this pic is relevant:

Yes, that is a hello kitty AR-15. Apparently it's a custom paint job some guy did for his wife, but still. Hello Kitty AR-15.

DVS BSTrD:
In the article you linked, it clearly states that they waited three hours before contacting the mother.

I missed that part, 1 gap filled.

edit: it still seems kind of vague

Ficker said the questioning apparently began around 10:30 a.m., and that the girl's mother was contacted at 1:30 p.m.

DVS BSTrD:

It is also clear that they brought her in based entirely on second hand information. This incident was not even investigated properly.

"Someone at the school became aware" isn't clear at all. Once again you're making an assumption given that there's no mention of the investigation the school performed.

DVS BSTrD:

And I wasn't filling in the gaps, unless you live in a very strange town being sent to jail tends to involve being taken away from your family.

The gap I was referring to was that the school said she could go to jail. All we have is the account of a 5 year old.

DVS BSTrD:

I'm only giving them the benefit of the doubt in that they didn't directly threaten to send her to jail over this.

Wow, you're not going to make an assumption based on absolutely no evidence, you should be commended.

DVS BSTrD:

And reducing "Terrorist threat" to "threat to harm others" doesn't change the fact that this not what happend at all.

This is the only part of the incident with the information we've been provided that i'll concede is stupid given that nothing the girl said could be in any way linked to the word "terrorism", it was more of a suicide pact, however most of the western world is "terror" obsessed, so I didn't seem worth mentioning.

DVS BSTrD:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and people too proud and too stupid to admit they made a mistake.
These people vastly overstepped and abbused their authority. They should be fired no matter what they "thought" she said.

Once again with little to no actual information you've accused the school of Pride, Stupidity, Incompetence, and Abuse of Power, and given a recommendation that they should all be fired.

Is no one else seeing the insanity in this thread?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked