so the Nostalgia Critic seems to be back...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Soviet Heavy:

Mr.Squishy:

Soviet Heavy:
Well that sure lasted, all of what, three or four months? And goody, we get to see him scream and mug the camera some more.

The best thing about Nostalgia Critic leaving was that I got more interested in the sites other reviewers, like Welshy, Paw and Sage. They not only come off much more interesting than Doug, but they actually do analysis rather than just screaming.

I'm sorry to say but I've really soured towards Doug Walker over the past few months, especially when I found the video of him quitting his old job. What a fucking jackass he was being.

Video of him quitting his old job?

Walking into the breakroom, ripping his shirt off to show his body graffiti spelling "I QUIT" while playing blaring music and dancing around like a prick. I'm with his boss, I would have called the cops on this asshole.

That was awesome I would quit my job they same way

Vault101:
does this mean he's dropping demo reel?

i doubt he is going to drop demo reel.

Soviet Heavy:

The best thing about Nostalgia Critic leaving was that I got more interested in the sites other reviewers, like Welshy, Paw and Sage. They not only come off much more interesting than Doug, but they actually do analysis rather than just screaming.

the rap critic is suprisingly good.

Tenmar:
Sad fact is all his characters are 2 bit characters and while there is nothing wrong with that the content demand from internet viewers is changing for better or worse(I could go into those worse but that would just start one big flame war).

changing how?

Hmmm...while I never thought the NC was particularly funny, he was always at least moderately funny, IMHO.

There's some other people on the site that, again IMHO, started out much funnier, but got really old and I've given up on.

The NChick at least has some interesting, if not always funny stuff to say, so she's generally worth watching.

TBH, I usually watch the vids in a window, while doing something else, I don't find them worth watching on their own.

I am glad that he is bringing back the character.
I did not like Demo Reel all that much but I enjoyed his talk show and I hope that it will continue in parallel to the NC.

And since the NChick has already been mentioned, I would recommend checking out Leon Thomas's work. The man nows what he is talking about when it comes to movies.

Obviously this is due to the fact the site was dying, Lindsay Ellis said on Twitter that "Business hasn't been so great since NC ended" and this is obviously the only way that alot of these reviewers can be kept in the job. It's still kinda sad for Doug though, he obviously wants the NC to be finished with and work on his dream project of Demo Reel, because Demo Reel sucked it ended up with him wasting $200,000 and becoming even more of a laughing stock. Doug with the NC is like Doyle with Holmes, you can't kill off your most popular charcter without consequence.

I'm glade to see he's returning. I've been reading on the forums for the last day that apparently they aren't done with Demo Reel and are still working on that talk show type thing that was announced a few months ago.

Zachary Amaranth:
Personally, I'd like it better if Nella got a show and Lindsay was the periodic sidekick. It's really weird hearing someone defend Lindsay by calling someone else unfunny, though.

Pretty much my thinking as well. A lot of the skits that has Nella going on about her nerd things are great simply because most of them aren't (apparently) scripted. Once I found that out and then saw her pull out Troll dolls and old My Little Pony toys, then run through all of the names she gave them while describing the amazingly complex drama she had concocted, I found myself thinking "Why doesn't she have her own show instead of this obnoxious Lindsay person?"

I'm personally stoked to see what the new episodes will entail. Personally, I didn't fins his later reviews to be bad, especially the crossovers, it's nice to see the Critic's personality bouncing off someone else... but that's just me.

It's nice to have something to look forward to...!

Let me get a list of everyone who is surprised:

Okay done.

Soviet Heavy:

Mr.Squishy:

Soviet Heavy:
Well that sure lasted, all of what, three or four months? And goody, we get to see him scream and mug the camera some more.

I'm sorry to say but I've really soured towards Doug Walker over the past few months, especially when I found the video of him quitting his old job. What a fucking jackass he was being.

Walking into the breakroom, ripping his shirt off to show his body graffiti spelling "I QUIT" while playing blaring music and dancing around like a prick. I'm with his boss, I would have called the cops on this asshole.

Come on, none of the employees seemed to mind. He was leaving either way, so why'd you call the cops if you think he's annoying? Revenge for being loud for half an hour and then going away so you'll never see or hear him again?

Soviet Heavy:

Vault101:

Soviet Heavy:

you should check out Nostalga chick, todd and Oan citzen....IMO Nchick is the best one on the site

the site is absolutly begging for a redesign....it doesnt encourage you to look at what else is there also because majority is very amaturish and...well crap

I'd like Lindsay better if she kept her talentless friends out of her skits and just focused on analysis. Nella is unfunny, uncreative, and drags down everything she touches.

And Brows Held High is a very interesting show. I especially like his crossovers with Sage, especially their discussion of Jin-Roh.

As for his Indiana Jones review, I disliked it because he seemed to be basing his entire argument around "This film is too popular while I think it sucks!" rather than looking for actual flaws in the film.

You mean flaws like the sound stage dance number in the middle of a restaurant? Or how loud and annoying and useless Short Round and Willie were? Or that whole inflatable raft scene and the way they led up to it? Or the Indian stereotypes? Or the fact that EVERYBODY gives that movie a free pass, while condemning EVERYTHING that's unrealistic about Crystal Skull? Cuz I'm pretty sure he covered all that.

When I watched that movie originally I was convinced it had actually come out after Last Crusade, because I thought it had to be the reason they stopped making Indiana Jones movies.

Zachary Amaranth:
Glad he's back. Even found that video kind of touching when I watched it.

Smolderin:
I thought the way he announced it was incredibly creative.

You mean by nicking the plots of two movies and fusing them together?

Well that and the way he pretty much answered his fans questions through the story rather than directly talking to them.

So the new NC review comes out the same day Dragonborn hits PC. Better mark my calendar.

I forget sometimes that the man can write. I think that was the best storyline that he's put together since...ever.

Soviet Heavy:

Mr.Squishy:

Soviet Heavy:

Really, you're VERY angry at everything doug does. Granted, it was a pretty stupid meanouver, but i laughed.

As for OT: I am actually okay with him coming back aslong as his ground rules stay in effect. I never thought his reviews were getting stale, but i did notice doug being exhausted, so maybe a little vacation was in hand.

Well this made my day, as someone who was still very much enjoying NC as part of his weekly routine no matter how many people were saying it was getting stale or has become unfunny or whatever (same deal with yahtzee and a few other things ive followed for a while now..i guess i dont get tired of the same old thing easily and am happy with repetition), i for one missed NC.

And gives me a reason to go back on the site.. The few contributors i do like like Nchick or Welshy tend to have massive gaps between episodes.

Soviet Heavy:

Mr.Squishy:

Soviet Heavy:

If he was being a Jackass, then I want to be THAT jackass. I was rolling, I give respect to the man for doing what I couldn't during most of my jobs. And I am pretty sure he wouldn't do that unless HE REALLY REALLY hated his job. Really wish we had more people like that in this world.

It's a shame that Demo Reel had to end so soon. To be fair I didn't really like it but Doug seemed so excited about doing something different so it's a shame to see that his dream project wasn't as successful as he'd hoped it would be. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy about this. I'm still kind of concerned if Doug really does want to jump back into the Nostalgia Critic or if he's just doing it to keep his fans happy and his website running. This was something addressed in "The Review Must Go On" but I still think it bears repeating. It just wouldn't be the same if there wasn't any genuine love and enthusiasm behind it, instead it being done out of obligation and peer pressure.

I quite like the new NC conditions. More time between episodes should allow Doug to keep a better balance between his personal life and his job and it should help give more time to make the jokes funnier and to keep them from going stale. The lack of cut off dates is also pretty good as it seemed that by the end of the previous NC run he reached a burnout and already the golden apples of craptastic cinema and was moving onto dull mediocre stuff which nobody paid attention to even when it was released.

Overall I'm looking forward to it, I just hope that Doug is as well.

rhizhim:
it appears as if demo reel wasnt such a success as he expected it to be. or maybe nostalgia got the best of him?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38009-the-review-must-go-on

so what do you guys make of this?

If the guy has the drive again, I say let him do what he enjoys. I think everyone involved in any kind of creative project, whether that's an internet video, a blog, or even just writing or drawing as a hobby, has gotten burned out at some point, or thought "Well, there's nothing else I can do with this", only to get more ideas a short while later. Doing it bi-weekly might make all the difference, and give him a little breathing room to explore other ideas while keeping the Critic around too.

As for Demo Reel, I was always a little torn on it. There were some good ideas in there, especially in the later episodes when he'd all but dropped the show's original premise completely. I got the impression that the original idea behind Demo Reel kind of fell apart once he actually went around to trying to implement it (who hasn't had an idea that looked a lot better on paper?) and then morphed into something else entirely as it went along. I actually enjoyed the last few episodes quite a bit though, and I found myself enjoying the characters too. I hope that the weird meta-universe of the Critic lets us see them again, or that Doug finds other roles for their actors to play. I think, in the long run, Demo Reel might be a great learning experience for him. Everyone has had a project that didn't go as planned, or even failed your original expectations or intentions for it. What matters is learning from the experience and getting back on the horse.

I have to say though that "The Review Must Go on" was probably the best video Doug Walker has made to date. The pacing, the cinematography, the acting, it was all above and beyond his previous work. It felt very genuine, instead of the sometimes forced acting we've seen in things like the anniversary movies. It felt like his heart was in this one, at least to me. So, here's hoping that the Critic's return meets everyone's high expectations, and that Doug is having FUN with it again. That's what matters the most. If someone is genuinely enjoying themselves, it will show in their work. :D

Wonderful, feels to me like the good stuff from "the old days" might be coming back.
The NC accompanied me through school when I watched every episode the first day it would come out. After school, I met Doug at a convention. It was so surreal and a blast, but somehow, that's also when my enjoyment for the series started dying down. The formula was running dry and some things felt too forced.

I appreciate he went the extra mile, gave some less charring transition and tied stories excellently together, instead of just making a formal announcement video to explain. Not to mention the whole "sitting together with the NC character and discussing rules for the comeback" thing. Besides, it was written pretty well, the drama and comedy played well together, it was well shot and enjoyable. Anything else would have been kind of half-assed and uncomfortable. What's the full truth? Doug is responsible for the income of all other reviewers on the side, he's not doing well himself, his show might not be good. I'd feel somewhat blamed if their site died.

Although it's no surprise. Demo Reel just didn't work for me at all, but I can't put my finger on it. Yes, you can see some problems, but why is it as unpopular as it is? A lot of people don't seem to mind DR, and the haters aren't giving any useful hints. Doug worked for years and the haters know all about it (including 5 year old videos), there must have been SOMETHING he did right, or SOME appeal to his stuff. But if all you ever say is "it's shit", there is no explanation or sign you want to give fair criticism. Most of the rants are unexplained or incredibly subjective, that's not going to change anyone's mind.
But here's your chance. Anyone tell me where Demo Reel went wrong (where the NC didn't do the same thing). Please.

Soviet Heavy:

You consider THAT being a prick? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Oh my fucking god, that's hilarious. Holy shit. That's nothing, absolutely nothing.

I'm glad the nostalgia critic is coming back, none of the other people on that website are interesting in the slightest.

Soviet Heavy:

Lunar Templar:
cool

though

-.- still waiting on the next History of the Power Rangers from Linkara

The only response to that is this.

Its surprising how accurate it is.

Oh wow, that's brilliant.

I like Linkara's work for the most part (though I don't really care for the storylines he tries to shoehorn into AT4W), but his "I have a life, you know" rant in his Power Rangers: Wild Force review was a big misstep. A simple "stop hounding me, it'll be done when it's done (also no spoilers, kthxbye)" would have sufficed.

I too have the opinion of "if he has the drive, let the man do it". Also the video itself was pretty neat too. He never said NC will never come back, so maybe a break was all he needed. Let him do it because he wanted to without a strict weekly obligation. Things will be fresher and he would still have a chance to work on other projects. Though yes, I can see the business angle, since NC was a big draw to the site and his absence could've eventually led to some good, talented people losing their jobs at Channel Awesome. As much as I do peek on to watch Nostalgia Chick, JesuOtaku, Paw, and anything in the feed that tickles my fancy, my personal traffic has been reduced (I watch AJ and VGA mostly on Youtube).

So...February 5th. Busy day for me since Sly 4 also comes out the same day. A busy day, but a good day me thinks. My body is ready.

Sounds good if he's really back. The best part is this can work in the continuity/universe/plot he's invented for the character. Thank goodness for plotholes! Anyway, I look forward to more reviews but it's too bad his other stuff didn't work out.

I think giving himself two weeks to review movies will be great. I don't know how he found time to do anything with putting together a Critic episode together that fast. Hopefully it gives him time to find new directions to take the show and just be more creative with it.

Also, someone give the guy a bigger budget to make a short film or something, he's got some wicked talent with his directing and editing.

I'm glad he's back personally, I also really admire Doug's honesty. Not a lot of people are willing to admit they're becoming stagnant, and even less people are willing to try and help themselves.

I've always liked the Nostalgia Critic and it saddened me in his later episodes that he seemed like he's lost his enthusiasm, sure he uses a lot of cliches like recurring catchphrases and whatnot, but that's what makes him him. He's clearly an incredibly talented and passionate guy and that always overpowers his occasional less than stellar content for me (For example, in my opinion, all of the anniversary miniseries he makes are written very poorly and borderline unwatchable if you aren't familiar with at least 5 characters.). I watched one episode of Demoreel and it didn't draw me in, it's a damn shame because I do really admire Doug's ambition and enthusiasm and it's such a shame to see his dream project fail.

It's a good idea to bring the Critic back because he was the only thing that made me go back to the website, because I like lots of the reviewers (Linkara, Film Brain etc.) and I think they're all talented but there's only a finite amount of content they can review before it's clear they're trying to act upset at something they don't care too much about.

Demo Reel was engineered on the idea that fans are drawn to Doug Walker himself, and not the concept of Nostalgia Critic. We can see now that poor misjudgment. How many people here have heard of Indiana Jones? Ok, put your hands down. Now how many of you have heard of Bob Falfa? Nobody? Oh well Bob Flalfa is the character Harrison Ford played in American Grafitti. He also played Indiana Jones. See? It's the character, not the actor, that draws the crowds. Even though the actors themselves get some of that fame, they have their characters to thank for that fame. Doug Walker's Critic is the textbook example of this.

I don't know whose idea it was for Doug to cancel NC, it could've been Rob, it could've been anyone, so I don't want to put all the blame on Doug himself. I will say though, that if you have a site like Channel Awesome, where most of the site's visitors come to see you billed as the main attraction, would it be wrong to say that his ego may of got the best of him ( let's face it the Anniversary movies are pretty much Doug surrounding himself with everyone who rode curtails)? Well no matter how you look at it, and despite personal opinion, Demo Reel was a flop, and Doug just needs to face the situation with humor and admit his mistake, ad not try to explain it away ad nauseam (like he has been doing). When the fans say "Dance, monkey!" Doug picks up.

Good for him. To be honest, I'm probably not going to watch it (unless it's a review of a film I'm interested in) because I went off Doug's style a while ago, but I'm sure the fans will be happy.

I only visit TGWTG for Nostalgia Chick and Todd now.

I for one really enjoyed Demo Reel, which I feel has been unfairly abused and harshly attacked for not being the Nostalgia Critic, especially the "blue patches and the dark knight rises" episodes and thought that it had some real potential, while I am glad that the Nostalgia Critic is back I fear that it is only to fan demand and not because he himself wants to. So unlike most of TGWTG fanbase I shall miss ye ol' Demo Reel and watch in anticipation for the months to come and see what comes.

xplosive59:
Obviously this is due to the fact the site was dying, Lindsay Ellis said on Twitter that "Business hasn't been so great since NC ended" and this is obviously the only way that alot of these reviewers can be kept in the job. It's still kinda sad for Doug though, he obviously wants the NC to be finished with and work on his dream project of Demo Reel, because Demo Reel sucked it ended up with him wasting $200,000 and becoming even more of a laughing stock. Doug with the NC is like Doyle with Holmes, you can't kill off your most popular charcter without consequence.

I find it sad that the other reveiwers have to rely on Ncritic....I would hope that if things died in the future that they would still be able to keep going (especially Nchick), I think I did hear or watch him say that they do have their own blip accounts which they can make money from, but yeah I agree

Doug, I like the critic. But seriously, the pixel palace is starting to get a lot of spiderwebs. At this rate, video game confessions is practically canceled, dude.

boots:
Good for him. To be honest, I'm probably not going to watch it (unless it's a review of a film I'm interested in) because I went off Doug's style a while ago, but I'm sure the fans will be happy.

I only visit TGWTG for Nostalgia Chick and Todd now.

If you enjoy that kind of deeper analysis that NChick and Todd do, I would heavily suggest Oancitizen and The Rap Critic. both of which are fantastic.

OT: I am quite a bit conflicted about this, I do love NC and I miss it badly but I have to respect people stop when they feel they need to (Bill Waterson with Calvin and Hobbes comes to mind). I hope he just isn't trying to rationalize a business decision with projected renewed passion. Passion can be rekindled after being burnt out and I am willing to give Doug the benefit of the doubt until further reviews prove me wrong. All the laughs he has given me through the years has earned him at least that much.

I don't see the point of a return really other that the failure of demo reel. I mean when the show was in its last days it seemed like he had already scraped through the bottom of the barrel and now was digging in the dirt beneath as far as "Nostalgic" films go.

I'm kind of torn honestly. On the one hand I was sad to see the Nostalgia Critic hang up his hat and tie but on the other hand I respected Doug's decision to move on. So while part of me is interested in seeing new stuff, I fear that it isn't going to be coming from the same place creatively as before.

Cool I guess. I haven't really been a fan of his stuff for a while, his jokes would drag on for way to long. But yeah cool for people who like his stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked