NEWS: "You killed my father. Prepare to die." Princess Bride t-shirt makes fliers nervous.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This report coming to you from Copper Zen, the Escapist's Grand High Pooh-Bah and a member of both the Injustice League and Brovengers.

=================================================================================================

And now for something light-hearted.

Shocking though it is, apparently there are still a few people on earth who haven't seen The Princess Bride and its utterly fabulous fencing sequences.

Still, while The Princess Bride is nearly a fundamental MUST for geek and nerd culture it is incumbent for us to gaze with pity on the unfortunates who live their lives in ignorance of what they've missed.

The story is copied in full below.

Careful what you wear on a plane.

Wynand Mullins of New Zealand told Stuff Magazine that he was asked to remove his T-shirt because other airline passengers found it intimidating.

And, yes, we suppose if one weren't familiar with "The Princess Bride," seeing a shirt that reads, "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die," might be a little alarming, especially on board a plane. But in Mullins's defense: Who the heck hasn't seen "The Princess Bride"?

For the two or three of you who haven't, the movie features a character named Inigo Montoya, played by Mandy Patinkin of "Homeland." After seeing his father killed by an evil, six-fingered man, Montoya vows that when he crosses paths with the fiend, he will say, well, exactly what was printed on Mullins's T-shirt. (Spoiler alert: At the end of the movie, Montoya does find the fiend, and he says his line over and over. It's awesome.)

Mullins explained to Stuff that a flight attendant had approached him before takeoff and asked that he put on a different shirt due to some concerned passengers. Mullins told Stuff:

I thought it was all a bit silly. The person next to me was laughing, because they knew the movie.

The flight attended apparently told Mullins she would attempt to find him another shirt, but never did, so the T-shirt stayed on. "I wouldn't be surprised if they had someone watching me the whole time," Mullins said. "The whole experience was a bit over the top, but also a bit comical."

For the sake those who have lived their lives impoverished from never seeing this movie I'll post the scene from the movie where Inigo explains his past to "Wesley aka The Dread Pirate Roberts".

The link below has the original news story AND the scene from the movie.

http://global3.memecdn.com/2012-Dec-21-The-Most-Epic-Brofist-Will-Be-Made_c_118173.jpg

**********************************************************************************************

BONUS!!!

And just for those who can't get enough of Inigo, here's his final confrontation with The Six Fingered Man.

I have a confession to make...

I JUST saw The Princess Bridge a month ago (I am currently 27 years of age).

For those you questioning if a 26 year old movie holds up...it does. It has a very sharp sense of humor (very Monty Python-like I thought) and a classic fairy-tale story. If you haven't watched it, you should go do that now. Don't worry, I'll wait here...

As to the story in question, that's just silly. They're words...that's it. I suppose if he brought a sword on board we might have a problem but it's a t-shirt. THEY'RE WORDS PEOPLE!!!!!....WORDS!!!!!......WOOOOOOOOOORDS!!!!!!!

....WORDS DAMN IT!!!!

Alright, I'm do THEY'RE FUCKING WORDS!!!!!!!!

....I'm done. I promise :)

FUCKING WORDS PEOPLE!!! THEY'RE NOT GOING TO HURT YOU!

I refuse to believe this story is real. There is no possible way that anyone can be that stupid that this would be a problem.

This is inconceivable!

On Topic:

I'm not surprised. New Zealand is probably more familiar with Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit these days than with any other fantasy movie.

One day I may get around to watching that film.

Probably not because i'm crap at remembering things but maybe I will.

I don't even know what to say about this...

My name is Shirt. You tried to remove me from my wearer, prepare to die.

I wonder if Wynand Mullins was wearing Inigo's picture from this scene.

Inigo was my favorite character from that movie. There is something about the determined swashbuckler that I find sexy! He's so lethal but he has a good heart. I like that.

Copper Zen:
Inigo Montoya, played by Mandy Patinkin of "Homeland."

Inconceivable! How did I not notice this while watching Homeland?! I feel like a terrible person all of a sudden.

OT: Now I know you should be a bit careful about what you say/do/wear anywhere in the vicinity of an airplane cos of knee jerk reactions/paranoia. But this is just a bit ridiculous...

Unless of course one of the other passengers really did kill his father and is afraid of revenge.

I can't help but feel that this is rather relevant.

As much as I love that movie, yeah, I can see that shirt making someone nervous.

Loads of people aren't going to recognise that line. Even if we are to assume that everyone in the anglosphere has, was that movie popular in Germany? Thailand? Mongolia?

People are very wary about security on airplanes, and not for no reason. Probably not the best idea wearing it.

This is the Firefly poster debacle over in the States all over again. It was a poster of Mal and the quote was about what would happen if he was to kill Simon.

thejarofdirt882:
Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I've never seen this film before, and from watching the clips posted in the OP, I'm glad. Looks shitty as fuck.

As for the whole deal. This doesn't surprise me. I remember a story over in New Zealand where a guy had his shirt destroyed and was told to "grow up" because he dared to blaspheme by wearing a black metal shirt. People will be idiots, what can you do?

BathorysGraveland:
I've never seen this film before, and from watching the clips posted in the OP, I'm glad. Looks shitty as fuck.

That's it. You are officially not allowed on the internet anymore until you sit down and watch this movie. I can maybe see why the clips might not seem that great out of context, but The Princess Bride is seriously one of the best films ever created. I personally think that it has the best dialogue of any move I have ever seen. I am not exaggerating one bit. See this movie!

On-Topic. I can understand the need for tight security at airports, but this is ridiculous. It's just a T-shirt for crying out loud, and it's not like it's saying anything offensive or anything like that. Some people just need to calm down a little bit.

thaluikhain:
As much as I love that movie, yeah, I can see that shirt making someone nervous.

I can't see it causing any more trouble than any of these would. Let's be honest, T-shirts are hardly credible character witnesses.

Asita:

thaluikhain:

I can't see it causing any more trouble than any, of these would. Let's be honest, T-shirts are hardly credible character witnesses.

Agreed on "of" and "would."

The other ones aren't exactly threatening anything. I can see why people would be put off by "prepare to die" or a shirt with a gun that says "duck!"

Zachary Amaranth:

Agreed on "of" and "would."

The other ones aren't exactly threatening anything. I can see why people would be put off by "prepare to die" or a shirt with a gun that says "duck!"

No, but the same mindset arguably applies to all of them, namely the fact that one has to believe that the tshirt adequately represents the person wearing it in a serious/unironic/non-tongue-and-cheek manner. To that end, the same principle suggests that one believe that the people wearing the other shirts were actively evil and certifiably insane, respectively. They aren't active threats, yes, but the implications if taken in the same light as the Inigo Montoya shirt are uncomfortable in their own ways.

tippy2k2:
They're words...that's it. I suppose if he brought a sword on board we might have a problem but it's a t-shirt. THEY'RE WORDS PEOPLE!!!!!....WORDS!!!!!......WOOOOOOOOOORDS!!!!!!!

Death threats are just words, too. If someone said they were going to kill you, would you ignore them because "WOOOOOOOOOOOORDS!"?

Zachary Amaranth:
Death threats are just words, too. If someone said they were going to kill you, would you ignore them because "WOOOOOOOOOOOORDS!"?

Is there not a difference between these scenarios?:

Tippy2k2 has a shirt that says "Prepare to die" on it. Maybe it's from this movie, maybe it's a UFC shirt, maybe all it says is "Prepare to Die" with no reference whatsoever.

Tippy2k2 walks up to a random person the street and tells them that they should Prepare to Die. He looks them dead in the eye and tells them to be ready for death.

Hadn't even heard of the movie before this thread and yeah I can see how the shirt might cause a problem. He should've changed it before boarding.

Glad to hear he stuck with his shirt. The request... no, the demand was completely unreasonable. People who are that freaked over someone wearing a shirt like that need to grow up. That's simply pathetic.

Unless somehow the words on his chest manage to manifest into a rapier and stab the person in front of him through the heart, he is blameless.

Honestly, people who intend to do criminal acts usually won't give themselves away by declaring their intent on a shirt. It takes a colossal idiot to conceive of such an act as a thing to even -do- when making a threat.

Oh, wait.

If the guy had been planning some terrorist act, and then advertised it on his shirt(for whatever reason), why would passengers feel he should swap shirts? Did they think he wouldnt try his terrorist ploy unless his attire was perfect?
Such an utterly, utterly stupid story.

tippy2k2:

Zachary Amaranth:

Is there not a difference between these scenarios?:

Tippy2k2 has a shirt that says "Prepare to die" on it. Maybe it's from this movie, maybe it's a UFC shirt, maybe all it says is "Prepare to Die" with no reference whatsoever.

Tippy2k2 walks up to a random person the street and tells them that they should Prepare to Die. He looks them dead in the eye and tells them to be ready for death.

Well then, "It's just words" is not sufficient as a reason in and of itself.

OT: Unless you killed someone's father, what's there to worry about? Hmmmmmm?

Makes me want to wear a shirt that says "I'm da Bomb!" next time I travel just to see the stupidity of people in action.

If I had been on the plane I would have said "Probably he means no... 'Harm'" because those other passengers were "really very short on... 'Charm!'" ;)

Copper Zen:
Who the heck hasn't seen "The Princess Bride"?

Me? But to avoid a no content post I will add that getting upset over a T-shirt like that is a bit silly, you can understand people getting upset if someone had a T-shirt with a photo of an eighteen inch wang on it or a picture of a real decapitated head. Getting upset over a movie quote is daft.

I wouldn't even blink an eye over the shirt on boarding a plane. What I can't understand is why you would want to wear such a shirt? No, really, I want to know. Are you anticipating someone will be amused by your extracting lines from a film they have seen? If so, you're an idiot.

Oh yeah, and I haven't seen the movie.

For those curious, apparently this is the guy and the shirt:

BeeGeenie:
Makes me want to wear a shirt that says "I'm da Bomb!" next time I travel just to see the stupidity of people in action.

If I had been on the plane I would have said "Probably he means no... 'Harm'" because those other passengers were "really very short on... 'Charm!'" ;)

You have a great gift for rhyme. ;)

First of all, awesome movie and awesome shirt.

Secondly, maybe I'm wrong, but I've always been kinda under the assumption that if someone was looking to do something evil at an airport, they'd be trying to blend in with everyone else - not advertising their intentions.

Tropicaz:
If the guy had been planning some terrorist act, and then advertised it on his shirt(for whatever reason), why would passengers feel he should swap shirts? Did they think he wouldnt try his terrorist ploy unless his attire was perfect?

That point of view honestly never occurred to me.

The stewardess: "We're afraid you're going to blow up or highjack the airplane. Will you please change your shirt, sir?"

If I'd been aboard the plane I wouldn't have interfered because I KNOW better, but nonetheless, if I had been there this would have been my own reaction to the scene occurring right in front of me:

Copper Zen:

[b]Careful what you wear on a plane.

Wynand Mullins of New Zealand told Stuff Magazine that he was asked to remove his T-shirt because other airline passengers found it intimidating.

Damn Kiwis, said the same thing to me with a bullet keyring. It wasn't even the full bullet, just the projectile part, but apparently it may intimidate the other passengers. I doubt anyone on the plane would have even known it was a bullet, just a bit of lead wrapped in copper.

They said I could call up and get it back, but would have to pay for postage... nuts to that!

Also who would be intimidated by that shirt? Unless you go around killing peoples fathers you've got nothing to worry about.

Wait...

I've worn that thing to work, on planes, to family gatherings with the hyper-religious side of the family... and never gotten any negative reactions...

Tropicaz:

I know, right? It's like saying that if you were sick, then you should stop coughing. You're still the sick, just not coughing.

tippy2k2:
I have a confession to make...

I JUST saw The Princess Bridge a month ago (I am currently 27 years of age).

For those you questioning if a 26 year old movie holds up...it does. It has a very sharp sense of humor (very Monty Python-like I thought) and a classic fairy-tale story. If you haven't watched it, you should go do that now. Don't worry, I'll wait here...

As to the story in question, that's just silly. They're words...that's it. I suppose if he brought a sword on board we might have a problem but it's a t-shirt. THEY'RE WORDS PEOPLE!!!!!....WORDS!!!!!......WOOOOOOOOOORDS!!!!!!!

....WORDS DAMN IT!!!!

Alright, I'm do THEY'RE FUCKING WORDS!!!!!!!!

....I'm done. I promise :)

FUCKING WORDS PEOPLE!!! THEY'RE NOT GOING TO HURT YOU!

I refuse to believe this story is real. There is no possible way that anyone can be that stupid that this would be a problem.

I found your post amusing. More amusing than the story it refers to, because this is just stupid. It's been ages since I got on an airplane, and I'm not sure I want to ever again considering how stupid the security has gotten Stateside.

Is this just a U.S. thing, or is it a global thing? That isn't rhetorical, someone please tell me.

6_Qubed:

I found your post amusing. More amusing than the story it refers to, because this is just stupid. It's been ages since I got on an airplane, and I'm not sure I want to ever again considering how stupid the security has gotten Stateside.

Is this just a U.S. thing, or is it a global thing? That isn't rhetorical, someone please tell me.

This happened in Australia, not the USA. The flight was going from Sydney to Auckland.

Asita:

6_Qubed:

This happened in Australia, not the USA. The flight was going from Sydney to Auckland.

...Oh God it is a global thing. D:

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked