How do you get through to racists who have utterly dejected the term "racist"?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I don't understand who they are describing by using "asian". Asia is the largest, habitated continent on Earth with at least 30+ countries of multiple races. Heck I'm technically asian as my family are middle eastern. Do they mean mongols? N. Koreans? Azer Bejanis?

I have no issue with wanting to take pride in one's race. If it's allowed for one, it should be allowed for all. Segragating, ostracising, claiming superiority however I do take issue with. Celebrating heritage and understanding where one came from are important and a good lesson to pass on to children.

To answer the question in the subject line, the tragic truth is that at some point you simply cannot get through. Generally speaking, there are 3 kinds of people concerning any given issue. There are those that think one way, those that feel the opposite and those that are on the fence/don't know/don't care/no opinion. There is little point in wasting breath or time on trying to convince either extreme view that the opposite is in fact, correct. It won't work, it's a waste trying. The ones it is worth spending time on are the don't know/don't cares. They haven't formed an opinion yet and are open to debate and convincing. If one can reasonably argue their case and bring the don't know/don't cares on-side, they will have a majority which will form the concensus, or zeitgeist.

This above is the reason why New York & California, for example, two of the US's most populous States are irrelevant in terms of voting. They're always gonna vote Democrat, it's a waste of Republicans' time trying to change that.

I've always been of the opinion that both sides of an argument have extremes. Stupid ones. It's worth noting that white people CAN be discriminated against. Just simple things like an employer hiring a minority over a white person simply to look more forward thinking. And don't come screaming at me (you know who you are) with "THAT'S NOT A THING!!!" Because it is a thing. You look for a job long enough and you'll come across this. I have and so have others. It's a real genuine thing. It's not as big as some people will say, obviously. And obviously it's not even a fraction close to what minorities go through with racism and discrimination but you need to keep these things in mind when you talk to these people.

Their idiotic extreme opinions started because of incidents regarding employment or maybe a couple of black guys hassled them at a pub saying "get out honky" or whatever ridiculous crap happens at bars like that (I drink alone in horribly dingy pubs. Fuck people, not in a good way.) So some small incidents like this got stupid people thinking there's a conspiracy against whites. Actually, there ARE black groups in most countries (including the USA) who want to wipe out White people. Not an opinion or theory, they do exist. This is where the "both sides have extremes" comes in, by the way.

So you've got dumb people who might have been hassled or heard about a hassling, they've seen a documentary about dumb black extremists, they've heard exaggerated horror stories from, like minded friends who heard it from a friend who heard it from a blah blah. This makes them think they're right. There's no changing that unless they somehow see something that proves them wrong.

EDIT
I'm only using black people as an example, I didn't just ignore everyone else. There are extremists everywhere.

They make okay points I guess, but they're just so ugly and they sound like idiots. Come to think of it, that's kind of a major problem with the white nationalism movement as a whole. Slick of the one to drop the term "Final Solution," at the end.

Also, who uses the term anti-racist? I don't think that I've ever heard anyone outside of WN's use that phrase.

Colour-Scientist:
What the fuck is a "white country"?

In the name of Native Americans, I just want to say: "GTFO!"

KingsGambit:
I don't understand who they are describing by using "asian". Asia is the largest, habitated continent on Earth with at least 30+ countries of multiple races. Heck I'm technically asian as my family are middle eastern. Do they mean mongols? N. Koreans? Azer Bejanis?

They mean anyone from Asia. It's a broad category, but whatever, it's a broad continent.

There was this guy who ran a website way back in the day that spent all its time pushing Star Wars and dissing Star Trek. The fanboyism isn't relevant, but the guy was Asian-American and he had a huge, utterly inexplicably beef with the term "Asian." He was like "Asia is huge, so it's racist and insensitive to talk about Asian culture or Asian food because it implies we're all the same." He would write massive blog posts ranting about how racist it was.

I was like, what? Asian just means from Asia. Sure, there's a shitload of different cultures in Asia, but they're all Asian, because they're from fucking Asia. There's nothing more racist about Asian culture than there is European culture, or African culture. It's just a large category that encompasses many smaller sub-categories.

This saddens me. How much are you willing to ignore? Far from being the majority, white-on-others racism is rare and taboo in civilized nations. DESPITE this, it is OKAY, and ENCORAGED by many public figures considered to be role models and civil rights advocates, to hate whites and want REVENGE. Ask Reverend Wright. Listen to Rev. Jesse Jackson. Ask the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan. Ask Jamie Foxx what his favorite part about filming Django was, or better yet read his Twitter. Rewind back and see how Oprah treated our President like a savior and exclaimed "We're finally free!" when he won the election.

My ancestors weren't even on this side of the pond until slavery was dead, you can't blame me for the actions of my ancestors! Well, unless you count taking over England from the Saxons and raiding various coasts in longboats. And yet so often you see it: white people are apparently all Nazis inside, and no matter how innocent they are on the outside, we all want you dead. We don't want you in our country because you're brown. Nevermind that we have no problem with Cubans. We think you should be a slave because you're black, "put y'all BACK in chains", as the whitest VP ever cared to remind you. Hasn't anyone considered that excepting rare taboo occasions that society takes every opportunity to stamp out, the only racism in this country is bred and perpetrated by the people who have money and followers to gain from it? Racism will die as a societal trait and be treated like the crime it is, but only if we let it. We can't let it if we can't move beyond avenging our great-great-grandparents by hating anyone who LOOKS like the people who enslaved them. The only place for any kind of racism is Dungeons and Dragons, and any Bioware game. Damn elves...

AnarchistFish:

When did he specify "nigger"?

Never said he did. I did, however, mention that racial slurs including the one I mentioned have a little more weight as most of them were derived to separate blacks from humanity as a whole.

Nieroshai:
This saddens me. How much are you willing to ignore? Far from being the majority, white-on-others racism is rare and taboo in civilized nations. DESPITE this, it is OKAY, and ENCORAGED by many public figures considered to be role models and civil rights advocates, to hate whites and want REVENGE. Ask Reverend Wright. Listen to Rev. Jesse Jackson. Ask the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan. Ask Jamie Foxx what his favorite part about filming Django was, or better yet read his Twitter. Rewind back and see how Oprah treated our President like a savior and exclaimed "We're finally free!" when he won the election.

My ancestors weren't even on this side of the pond until slavery was dead, you can't blame me for the actions of my ancestors! Well, unless you count taking over England from the Saxons and raiding various coasts in longboats. And yet so often you see it: white people are apparently all Nazis inside, and no matter how innocent they are on the outside, we all want you dead. We don't want you in our country because you're brown. Nevermind that we have no problem with Cubans. We think you should be a slave because you're black, "put y'all BACK in chains", as the whitest VP ever cared to remind you. Hasn't anyone considered that excepting rare taboo occasions that society takes every opportunity to stamp out, the only racism in this country is bred and perpetrated by the people who have money and followers to gain from it? Racism will die as a societal trait and be treated like the crime it is, but only if we let it. We can't let it if we can't move beyond avenging our great-great-grandparents by hating anyone who LOOKS like the people who enslaved them. The only place for any kind of racism is Dungeons and Dragons, and any Bioware game. Damn elves...

So, racist white people are rare nowdays, and so when people complain about racism they must be talking about ancient history?

This is what's known as "total bullshit".

Nieroshai:
/snip

That might be a good point, If you were not saying this on a topic ABOUT A NEO-NAZI VIDEO WHICH USES THE WORLD "FINAL SOLUTION!

Seriously, you will lose all credibility with that sob story here.

I'm not going into the rest of what you posted, because I vehemently disagree. Some parts even strike me as a persecution complex.

All I have to say is that I can't help but scoff when I hear the term "anti-racism". Racism is racism. It's not okay either way.

Fasckira:

Andy of Comix Inc:
How do you get through to someone who has built up such impeccable defense regarding people changing their minds?

Why do you need to get through to them? Why does it matter to you if they hold these views?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you nor am I supporting them. Ultimately though these people hold these values and beliefs and for you or I to actively try and force our own views on them makes us no better.

White supremacy has no logical basis to rest upon. There is no evidence beyond anecdotes to suggest being white is any better than being black, asian, etc or anything that implies people who are a part of said races are inferior to whites. Holding such a viewpoint regardless is incredibly outdated and ignorant. Ending such absurd beliefs is a step in the right direction, as they can lead (directly or indirectly) to harm, from "mild" things like discrimination to major crimes like lynchings. Intolerance of intolerance isn't the same as intolerance in general, since the former actually has a logical basis.

I couldn't get past "anti-racist is just another word for anti-white". No, this video will depress me. Ta-ta.

Bhaalspawn:

Suck it up. There's other races that had to live with that shit (and more) for centuries. They lived, so will you.

Oh goody, we're taking turns. Now it's their turn, after that it'll be ours.

Traun:

Bhaalspawn:

Suck it up. There's other races that had to live with that shit (and more) for centuries. They lived, so will you.

No, after that you will be even. And if you decide to throw the next punch of racism, you will be a prick.

Bhaalspawn:

Traun:

Bhaalspawn:

No, after that you will be even. And if you decide to throw the next punch of racism, you will be a prick.

I don't think you get how this works.

bastardofmelbourne:
...He was like "Asia is huge, so it's racist and insensitive to talk about Asian culture or Asian food because it implies we're all the same." He would write massive blog posts ranting about how racist it was.

I was like, what? Asian just means from Asia. Sure, there's a shitload of different cultures in Asia, but they're all Asian, because they're from fucking Asia. There's nothing more racist about Asian culture than there is European culture, or African culture. It's just a large category that encompasses many smaller sub-categories.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it racist, but I would call these terms inappropriate and further, stupid. They don't mean anything, particularly in relation to this case as an example, when comparing it to "white".

"White" is talking about the caucasian race. African-American and Asian-American...Continent-Nationality....wtf? They don't mean anything. What is an african american? Is it specifically someone whose roots are in africa but holds an american passport? Does it include white africans, or Egyptians (who are racially the same as arabs)? No, it is used to mean black. What about Caribbean Americans? I've never heard that term...is african american used to describe someone black from the Caribbean too?

And Asian? Asian culture, asian food? It means nothing, there's no such thing. There is arabic food, indian food, chinese and japanese food, thai food, and so on, and they are none of them the same (though they do all involve a lot of rice!). Japanese culture is completely and utterly different from Indian culture (except for elements of Buddhism I suppose). China is different, as is Mongolia, Korea, Vietnam, Burma, Azer Bejan, Iran and so on.

White, when used to describe the caucasoid race is comparable to the negroid race, or australoid, mongoloid, etc. Why compare race with continent? I'd accept white, black, arab, chinese, aboriganal however, for example. The terms african/asian american are frankly stupid, serve no purpose and offer no helpful description in practically any context, particularly in the contexts in which they are most often used. Hearing "asian culture" or "asian food" makes me shudder.

Oh and European culture is as bad or worse. There is no such thing as European culture. There is French culture, Spanish culture, Italian and German culture, British culture (hahaha), Swiss and Irish cultures and so on. They are each as different as the entirety of America is to Brazil, Mexico, Argentina or Chile.

Keoul:
I welcome them to Asia, please come and join us!

Jokes aside though, have they actually done any research or is this all just speculation? Are Asian and "Black"[1] churches actually forbidding "white" people from joining? Are kids being told throughout school these exact words "The white race was the cause of all the world's problems"?

WHERE ARE THEY GETTING ALL THIS FROM?

In history class we do tend to learn alot about the atrocities and bigotry of whites here in America... though this is mostly sense we mainly learn about white people good or evil. Our history classes tend to focus on Europe and America so of course we learn about all the bad things whites did as well as all the inventions and improvements whites made. Overall I sometimes do think that whites get the shrt end of the stick in some things, despite not being a minority (like Affirmitive Action or minority only scholarships.) but these people are just kinda crazy.

[1] I 'm putting Black and White in quotations since I'm not sure if they're acceptable or if we're still using African American and Caucasian.

Nieroshai:
This saddens me. How much are you willing to ignore? Far from being the majority, white-on-others racism is rare and taboo in civilized nations. DESPITE this, it is OKAY, and ENCORAGED by many public figures considered to be role models and civil rights advocates, to hate whites and want REVENGE.

Taboo? Yes, in most (though not all) circles. Rare? No.

You take a look at this and tell me old, traditional racism isn't a massive problem. A few examples of black public figures with (questionably) anti-white views doesn't even nearly come close to deeply-ingrained, institutional prejudices.

I live in the UK, and though I recognise that my experience may be limited, I can't think of a single example of "anti-white" racism I've ever seen. But the most widely-read newspapers peddle racist caricatures of gypsies and Arabs daily, and I know of black people who've been attacked in the street.

Nieroshai:
DESPITE this, it is OKAY, and ENCORAGED by many public figures considered to be role models and civil rights advocates, to hate whites and want REVENGE.... Rewind back and see how Oprah treated our President like a savior and exclaimed "We're finally free!" when he won the election.

This is kind of a "m'lady doth protest too much" moment. "We're finally free!" doesn't have a damn thing to do with hating whites and wanting revenge. As for the other people you mentioned, I don't know a single person who sees them as a role model.

white people are apparently all Nazis inside, and no matter how innocent they are on the outside, we all want you dead.

This is another "m'lady doth protest too much" moment.

Hasn't anyone considered that excepting rare taboo occasions that society takes every opportunity to stamp out, the only racism in this country is bred and perpetrated by the people who have money and followers to gain from it?

Probably it's not considered by sane people because the proposition is absolute nonsense.

Sorry, as a white male the closest thing to racism against me I have ever seen in the US is some black guy at a party claiming that white guys are sensitive about how their steaks are cooked. Meanwhile I've witnessed countless acts of racism against non-whites in America, including denial of housing and workplace discrimination. You know, things that matter. Check out incarceration rates between different races for the same crimes. Hell, it was within my lifetime that Bob Jones University stopped banning inter-racial dating. In the last election, there was a concerted effort by Republicans to un-register non-white voters in battleground states like Florida.

The video seems to mainly address the united states, which essentially means that their case fell flat on it's face the moment it began. If such a thing as a 'White Country' exists, it was never in North America. Settlers took that land from the natives living there. I won't put anyone under fault for something that happened so long ago, but the video's message reeks of hypocrisy. These are white people complaining about people of other nationalities joining in their country and 'converting' their population, but that's exactly what happened to the original inhabitants so long ago.

Preaching a message that anywhere in North America is a white country and that other nationalities are not welcome makes you an ignorant bigot who is only interested in pushing their own agenda. And even if every other country with a minority white population had an anti-white agenda and only wished to ruin their day, why would that even be an excuse to adopt the same behavior? This kind of behavior sickens me.

I am a white male. Not that I need to justify my point or make it sound more important, just that sometimes people like to ask your nationality as if confirming it changes the messages meaning somehow. I'll just save them the trouble.

bastardofmelbourne:

canadamus_prime:
White people have never been discriminated against so there's no need to actively discourage the behaviour.

There were these guys...the Jews, I think? They were all black though, yeah? Or Arabic or something. Must've been.

The Jews weren't persecuted for being white, they were persecuted for being Jews. That's not quite the same thing. Plus they were persecuted by other white people, so it definitely isn't the same thing. Not that it wasn't wrong, mind you.

GeneralFungi:
The video seems to mainly address the united states, which essentially means that their case fell flat on it's face the moment it began. If such a thing as a 'White Country' exists, it was never in North America. Settlers took that land from the natives living there. I won't put anyone under fault for something that happened so long ago, but the video's message reeks of hypocrisy. These are white people complaining about people of other nationalities joining in their country and 'converting' their population, but that's exactly what happened to the original inhabitants so long ago.

Preaching a message that anywhere in North America is a white country and that other nationalities are not welcome makes you an ignorant bigot who is only interested in pushing their own agenda. And even if every other country with a minority white population had an anti-white agenda and only wished to ruin their day, why would that even be an excuse to adopt the same behavior? This kind of behavior sickens me.

I am a white male. Not that I need to justify my point or make it sound more important, just that sometimes people like to ask your nationality as if confirming it changes the messages meaning somehow. I'll just save them the trouble.

Yes this. White racism in the United States is a very interesting thing. It demeans all people (including white people who are not racist). Whites and blacks in the US have had to fight against this kind of mentality, and it's obviously a very strong one. The mentaity in the video is straight ignorant and it did indeed "fall flat on its face the moment it began. " It assumes that the kind of racism that existed at the begining of this country doesn't exist anymore, but that's unfortunately not true. We have come an awful long way, but there is more work to be done.

Traun:

Bhaalspawn:

Traun:

You know what, fuck it. I'm trying to argue common sense on gaming website. Go be racist all you want, but don't complain if someone beats the tar out of you for it.

Wargamer:
Guys, here's the problem: they are right.

It is all one way. Consider the following: it is acceptable for black men to make racial slurs against white men, but not the other way around. That is racism; it's racist against whites. It states that blacks have more rights than whites.

The way to solve racism is not to go in ham-fisted and demand that white people "accept" black people, or asians, or whatever little group you fight for. That is what makes white people walk over to the nazi booth and read their pamphlets on ethnic cleansing.

The way you solve it, in fact, is to shut the fuck up. You stop using words like "hate crime", and stop defining people by their skin colour. A black man getting shot by a white guy is not a "hate crime", it's murder. An asian who gets robbed at knife-point is not the victim of a "hate crime", they're victims of a mugging.

Until the 'pro-minority' people learn that, all they're doing is digging a hole that they'll never climb out of.

I really hope this is sarcasm here. Otherwise, I wonder if you are not a proponent of the sorts of things one sees in that deplorable video. In which case, yeah, you're kind of a racist, dude.

Hmm... these girls have obviously never been abroad.
Although, to be fair, most of the world is quite xenophobic :) or at least treat outside races very differently.Its just larger countries with a more diverse population that tend to show trends of acceptance and decreases in xenophobic levels.

I think that's a good thing, since people all over the place are the same (loud assholes, quiet good people, and about the same amount of awesome weird people). And i don't mean to be offensive, but most countries see marrying a foreigner as a bad thing. Unless the foreigner happens to be very rich in comparison, and even then they will most often not be quite accepted.

canadamus_prime:
White people have never been discriminated against so there's no need to actively discourage the behaviour.

From the first time Europeans made it to Asia, they were looked down upon as unwashed barbarians. Examine what happened to the christian missionaries in Japan. Go to Asia now, and there is still a fair amount of racism against all races, even Europeans(a traditionalist family would never allow their children to marry a European).
Also take a look at minority populations of white people across the world, they are discriminated against. Often for their differing religious beliefs.

Now in the Western world, where the majority population is white, white people aren't discriminated against. The rest of the world, not so much.

Bhaalspawn:

Traun:

Bhaalspawn:

You know what, fuck it. I'm trying to argue common sense on gaming website. Go be racist all you want, but don't complain if someone beats the tar out of you for it.

There really isn't any common sense in your argument. While the group in the video seems to be paranoid, it is true that there is great potential for abuse from minority protection groups. You cannot say "well, now they get to be racist", it doesn't work like that. If a black person is allowed to be racist towards a white person, said white person would notice that. And what happened in history should stay in the history books. There are minority-only scholarships and minority seem to be prioritized above white-people when given more general scholarships as well. This WILL make white students angry, a company that hires a minority solely because it wants to diversify WILL make a white person bitter towards it and this WILL have future consequences.

You cannot remove racism at the expense of one group. If a black person is hired somewhere, he shouldn't be hired because of attempts to diversify, but because he is a better worker. If a black student get's a scholarship, it shouldn't be because he's black, but because he deserves it.

If you give black people more scholarship, a priority in hiring and tolerate them being racist towards white people, then yeah, you will get more black people in school and give them more jobs, but at the end you would have destroyed any possibility of addressing the core issue.

Makes sense. In the sense I understand what they're saying and how they came to that answer.

I disagree though and reckon they're foolish, ignorant people.

Ledan:

canadamus_prime:

From the first time Europeans made it to Asia, they were looked down upon as unwashed barbarians. Examine what happened to the christian missionaries in Japan. Go to Asia now, and there is still a fair amount of racism against all races, even Europeans(a traditionalist family would never allow their children to marry a European).
Also take a look at minority populations of white people across the world, they are discriminated against. Often for their differing religious beliefs.

Now in the Western world, where the majority population is white, white people aren't discriminated against. The rest of the world, not so much.

Forgive my ignorance. Still I hardly think it's to the same level that certain other minorities have faced, although I could still be wrong. Probably am.

Bhaalspawn:

Traun:

Bhaalspawn:

Well your post was quite silly and had very little "common sense" to it.

Saying "Just take turns at being racist"....is well...fucking stupid. Nor is "well it's happened before" a valid excuse to let racism stand today.[1]

[1] These girls are still crazy though

Not going to click and watch this video since thats just the kind of viral marketing they're looking for.
Yes there are deeper issues involved in the issues some people bring up here, yes racism against whites is a problem and should not be a taboo subject to bring up.
However a shock video on Youtube is a stupid time to bring up such debates.

Bhaalspawn:
NO! Bad Southern hicks, that's a bad bad Southern hick!

That's how you talk to them.

Seriously? Men's Rights movement, now a White's Rights movement? What's going to be the next "activism" movement that's used as a thin guise for bigotry? Straight's rights?

To be fair, men's rights movements do have some points that are fairly valid, mostly about double standards and things in our society like that. Granted some of them are fairly bigoted but many of them hold fairly resonable views.

Bhaalspawn:

Traun:

Bhaalspawn:

Seriously? Men's Rights movement, now a White's Rights movement?

Yes, seriously. We need that stuff. A lot of people are abusing the race card, we need organizations to keep stuff like affirmative action from becoming a reality. Someone being rejected a job because he's black and his boss is a bigot is just as bad as you being unable to get a job because a company is FORCED to hire black people. And there should be organizations that keep such stuff away, because there ARE people of color willing to abuse the movements dedicated to them.

Also, about Men's Right, that's a whole other can of issues, but there is a lot of fight to be fought in there as well, especially when it comes to parental rights.

They aren't forced. It's not legal principle, it's a human resources area.

I don't know how it works down there in crazyland, but up here in Canada, most corporations will favor an ethnic minority if the choice comes between two people of equal qualifications.

Now if it is a forced legal principle down in crazyland, oh fucking well. There's this marvelous thing called History that explains why these things are being done. For the next few decades, straight white cisgendered men are going to have the short end of the stick in regard to things that ultimately don't matter.

Men's Rights and White's Rights is just sexism and racism dressed up to sound important. Like PETA.

I am neither responsible for the crimes of my forefathers which happened before I was born, nor are any of the people currently claiming benefits in is name suffering from it. I will not "suck it up" just because some idiot in the past who happens to be really distantly related to me got some benefits from social racism. I want racial equality in all things, and things like affirmitive action are directly opposed to that.

KingsGambit:
I wouldn't go so far as to call it racist, but I would call these terms inappropriate and further, stupid. They don't mean anything, particularly in relation to this case as an example, when comparing it to "white".

I think you're missing the point entirely. The fact that there are thirty or more distinct Asian cultures doesn't make the term "Asian culture" invalid, racist, inappropriate or stupid. It's just a category, where the criteria for inclusion is "of the Asian continent."

That makes it a really broad category, but calling the term stupid or inappropriate on the basis that there are a lot of cultures in Asia is totally irrelevant. Why is it inappropriate? What other word are we going to use to describe cultures from the Asian continent? What about when we want to draw a broad distinction between European and Asian cultures? Do we have to stop and say "the difference between English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Swiss, Belgian, Dutch, Swedish, Greece and Portuguse culture and Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Indonesian, Tibetan, Mongolian, Malay, Indian, Pakistani, Iranian, Turkish, Arabian, Burmese and Vietnamese culture is X."

It's like saying the word "Earthling" is racist because it implies there's one huge Earth culture. It just means from Earth. We don't currently have Moon People, so everyone's an Earthling. It doesn't mean that all Earthlings are the same; we just need a word that describes "every culture from Earth."

If you don't agree with categories of that scale, why don't people have a problem with terms like "academia" that encompass a huge variety of specific disciplines, or a term like "movies" that encompasses a huge variety of movie genres? It's just a large-scale category. It's not racist, we just need a goddamn word that means "from Asia," so we settled on (shock) "Asian."

canadamus_prime:
The Jews weren't persecuted for being white, they were persecuted for being Jews. That's not quite the same thing. Plus they were persecuted by other white people, so it definitely isn't the same thing. Not that it wasn't wrong, mind you.

Which is all well and good, if that's what you'd said. But you said white people had never been discriminated against, so...there you go! Here are some white people who got discriminated against.

"Oh, but it wasn't because they were white." Who cares? The Hutus didn't kill a million Tutsis because they were black. It doesn't make it any less racist.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as rude here. It's just that while I acknowledge that white people have had it pretty damn awesome for basically forever, saying that white people have never been discriminated against is just historically inaccurate. We have plenty of examples of white racial and ethnic groups being the target of racial hatred, usually perpetrated by other whites. The English and the Irish is a popular example, and there's obviously the Jews, but racism was endemic in Germany prior to its unification in 1871, and the way the invading Normans treated the native Anglo-Saxons in the eleventh century was basically medieval apartheid.

I agree with you that white people have no business complaining about that (except for probably the Jews and the Irish, because their persecution is rather more modern) but saying it didn't happen is the same kind of historical whitewashing those dipshits in the video were doing. (Okay, it wasn't that bad. It was mean to compare you to them.)

bastardofmelbourne:
The fact that there are thirty or more distinct Asian cultures doesn't make the term "Asian culture" invalid, racist, inappropriate or stupid.

Actually, that is precisely the reason. It isn't racist, I'll agree, but it is the other three. There is no such thing as Asian culture; I can prove this beyond doubt by simply asking, describe asian culture.

bastardofmelbourne:
What other word are we going to use to describe cultures from the Asian continent?

Asian cultures. The 's' makes a world of difference.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked