Songs you love that aren't very popular.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Now's a good time for another music thread
What are some songs that you really like that you think should get more love?

Oh and I didn't make this thread so we could show off our hipstery 'I know all these obscure bands' cred I did it so that people might be exposed to great music they haven't heard before.

One of my favorites is a song called White Trash Toodle OO. Unfortunately they only youtube video of it is a live recording with bad quality so here's spotify

http://open.spotify.com/track/4KGeiLKITSTBb3G9cMb892

and then there's this song

One of my favourite genres is ambient. ambient techno, ambient house, chillout, whatever it's all good. One on my most recent discoveries is Low Orbit Satellite, and this track is, well, it's amazing.

Practically Blind Guardian's entire discography

Every single song written/done/composed/made by Ken Ashcorp ever.

[hipster]Most of the music I listen to isn't very popular where I am. I'm either in the wrong age group (Carpenters, Dion, John Denver), wrong location (Alizée), or both (Dschinghis Khan, Boney M.).

And then there are the newer bands that you've only heard of because I mention them in every music thread I see. Like Pandora Celtica, who are awesome and you should love them.

Don't know how popular this is but it's old and it's awesome.

I first found it on Newgrounds though so here's the Newgrounds link (it also has an MP3 download in there).

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/10586

I've recently come to the acception that when it comes to music I AM a hipster. But mostly because the stuff I like is apparently hipster music, not because I go searching for obscurity.

Having said that 7 of my top 10 most played artists have atleast charted somewhat, that makes it non-hipster right?

Now for the "most obscure song I love"

Well, 'I'm With You' is my favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers album so far.

Father Time:
Don't know how popular this is but it's old and it's awesome.

I first found it on Newgrounds though so here's the Newgrounds link (it also has an MP3 download in there).

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/10586

Okay, so I'm going to go clean up, then change my pants. Then I'm going to come back here and put that on my iPod.

Pretty much everything by Insane Clown Posse, Twiztid, and Dark Lotus. Unless you're a juggalo, you're not likely to have heard of, much less actually like, any of their songs. :P

Absolutely anything by X-Japan and Seikima II. Both are Japanese bands from the 80's/90's so other than those two being out of date, they're overshadowed by other J-Rockers like Miyavi, Gackt, etc. Also Detroit Metal City. I'm sure you can see by their initials why that band (and the anime/manga series they're from) is overshadowed and unpopular here in the US.

Big surprise, the thread is actually asking "Which obscure artist do you like so you can seem all 'unique' and not pick an odd song by someone more established". I was hoping for more of the latter type thing. Instead of saying "Stairway to Heaven" when asked about Zep, someone would say "Bran Yr Aur Stomp" or something.

I'm a minor fan of Avenged Sevenfold's album "City of Evil" and everyone seems to know "Beast and the Harlot" or "Bat Country", but I think the song "Sidewinder" is way awesomer. It has flamenco/classical styled guitar battle at the end. Badass.

Any of the music from Loscil. They make great background noise for work.

One of my favorite songs ever. Sure its got over 2.5 million views but I find that not a lot of people know about it.

You should check out their other songs too. Very good.

Anything by Alter Bridge.
Still can't believe how good they are live.

Keoul:
Every single song written/done/composed/made by Ken Ashcorp ever.

LOVE Ken Ashcorp, though my favorite song of his is 'Shut up and Trust This'

OT:

I LOVE Alkaline Trio, easily my favorite band, and while Matt has some amazing songs with the band, I think he really got into his groove with this album. Sadly nowhere as well known as their main act, and while I prefer Dan as a singer this album really did a good job at showing off Matt's talent.

i would be willing to bet money people Havant even heard of the group, let alone this song,, and yet this song and the accompanying video all amongst my top ten

Modest Mouse. That's the extent of my hipster-ness. That and the occacional Radiohead.
I feel like Modest Mouse and The Pixies are like the grandfathers of modern hipster music. Modest Mouse was doing the new-folk thing years before Mumford and Sons [/come at me internet].

I love this yoke. You will be familiar with this if you watch the Yogscast, two of the band members works with them.

"Heart of a Dragon" by Dragonforce.

This song is epic

triggrhappy94:
Modest Mouse. That's the extent of my hipster-ness. That and the occacional Radiohead.
I feel like Modest Mouse and The Pixies are like the grandfathers of modern hipster music. Modest Mouse was doing the new-folk thing years before Mumford and Sons [/come at me internet].

I actually forgot about Modest Mouse. I use to be a big fan of their work. I'm glad they still tour around the US and such.

My favorite song from them would be Float On.

Mawdern:
One of my favorite songs ever. Sure its got over 2.5 million views but I find that not a lot of people know about it.

What the heck did I just watch?

Whatever it was, it was pretty cool. :D

I've always known people to really hate this song, but I personally really like it.

Also, why do you people have such a problem with using the damned spoiler tags on videos?

Mawdern:

Why would anyone not know about that song?

I really think it'd be a toss up between Stone the Crow by Down or this amazing diddly called Seer by Witch.
http://youtu.be/f5von-_FI0U

I guarantee I'm the only one (on the Escapist) who has heard this song.

What Happened To Grandma - Memories

I would have to give some love to Ne Obliviscaris they are probably my favourite band at the moment creating a wonderful mixture of progressive music with Death metal and Black metal creating songs which are oddly beautiful for such a genre of music

Gaza are rather interesting to me as a they create a combination of Sludge and Grindcore which I found most enjoyable.

Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza I just have to love them purely for their name.

I have really been digging the ambient chiptune rock sound of Starscream lately and I find this song best exemplifies their sound.

I absolutely love The Locust as they have proven to me that there are still unexplored areas in music.

A small band from Australia which I would definitely recommend for people to check out.

I am not much of an electronic music person but I have been really enjoying this song

Anything by Deluxe

They seem fairly popular in... France? Or whatever their native country is. But I don't know a single other person who knows about them.

Also most of the Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy soundtrack

Fuckin' love this Ox guy. Shame it seems he's only done this and some of the Madworld songs, he's pretty damn good.

I'm a sucker for any band with a woman on lead vocals. Like Persephone's Bees:

And the debut album by Purity Ring is pretty much flawless IMO:

Also, ever since I heard of Die Antwoord I've been stalking them.

Lesser known AC/DC song from their first international album. First album I ever owned and I still love it. Never met anyone else who'd heard this song, which is a shame because its fucking great.

The Eagles - Get Over It

I've never seen it on any of their 'best of...', so I'm not sure how popular it is.

I'm not sure how well Alela Diane is known but I was very pleasantly surprised when her song 'Take Us Back' played during the credits of The Walking Dead Game. I enjoy that song, very much , but my favorite of hers is 'The Ocean'.

I like that earthy mandoliny acoustic stuff - obviously.

Sometimes i just stray into shitty music somehow, i think it happens if i listen for too long to the same genre

Nigh Invulnerable:
Big surprise, the thread is actually asking "Which obscure artist do you like so you can seem all 'unique' and not pick an odd song by someone more established". I was hoping for more of the latter type thing. Instead of saying "Stairway to Heaven" when asked about Zep, someone would say "Bran Yr Aur Stomp" or something.

I'm a minor fan of Avenged Sevenfold's album "City of Evil" and everyone seems to know "Beast and the Harlot" or "Bat Country", but I think the song "Sidewinder" is way awesomer. It has flamenco/classical styled guitar battle at the end. Badass.

Synester Gates played that with his Daddy. I used to be a fan, now not so much.

OP: I don't want a "who knows the most obscure piece of music game" so I'm going to say, am, I love the song 'Go Insane' by Lindsay Buckingham even though it's definitely not one of the more popular Fleetwood Mac/Lindsay Buckingham tracks.

Machinae Supremacy deserves all the attention it gets if you ask me, no idea how popular they are though so might easily be they're already getting it.

Anything from Ascencion of The Watchers

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked