Songs you love that aren't very popular.

Pages PREV 1 2

One of my favourite punk bands ever, Stiff Little Fingers.

Another punk band that I adore, Crass.

Even though it's not actually featured either in the film or the series:

Yes, yes, I know, I trumpet this singer all the time, but seriously, outside a small part of anime viewers, she is hardly known, even in Italy.

Well, anything by blue october, the reason I say this is I've never met anyone who have heard of them. They might be well known overseas so if they are I'll rectract my statement.

Blackdoom:

A small band from Australia which I would definitely recommend for people to check out.

Damn, I would have really liked this song if not for the pointless monotone vocal style. I just can't stand it, it sounds stupid to me. By all means use the harsh vocals to add emphasis to a part of the song, but using it all the time and not changing pitch at all throughout kills the whole thing for me. It is the equivalent of some kind of horrible speech impediment, as if the vocalist has just walked into a room and is having a boring conversation like that, as opposed to only using it at the climax of a heated argument or something...

Anyway. I tend to enjoy music from bands that no one seems to have heard of. Generally this involves a very specific set of requirements including clean clear vocals that act as the driving force for most of the song, dark and surreal themes with no explicit narrative so I can let my imagination fill in the gaps, unconventional sounds and rhythms and usually a progressive nature.

The best examples of bands I like, that almost no one I know knows of, are probably Rishloo or Karnivool:

Most things by The Hives. They're pretty popular but I've never actually known anyone who likes them without me having introduced them to their music.

One of my favourite songs I've been listening to lately from a little known band from the 90s called Adorable

Also I've been listening to a band called SPC ECO a lot recently. There pretty unknown I guess though they do have quite a famous person in the group

I've posted this one to at least one or two other music threads on here before, though not recently, but I really do think it deserves more attention....

Binnsyboy:
Well, 'I'm With You' is my favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers album so far.

Father Time:
Don't know how popular this is but it's old and it's awesome.

I first found it on Newgrounds though so here's the Newgrounds link (it also has an MP3 download in there).

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/10586

Okay, so I'm going to go clean up, then change my pants. Then I'm going to come back here and put that on my iPod.

Glad you like it.

Can you tell me what Zelda game it's from? I only recognize the tune from Smash Brothers.

Father Time:

Binnsyboy:
Well, 'I'm With You' is my favorite Red Hot Chili Peppers album so far.

Father Time:
Don't know how popular this is but it's old and it's awesome.

I first found it on Newgrounds though so here's the Newgrounds link (it also has an MP3 download in there).

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/10586

Okay, so I'm going to go clean up, then change my pants. Then I'm going to come back here and put that on my iPod.

Glad you like it.

Can you tell me what Zelda game it's from? I only recognize the tune from Smash Brothers.

Hmm...

I wanna say Ocarina of Time.

Edit: Just noticed the title says Zelda 2, so... probably that, actually xD

I'm going to revive this thread with another song I really like.

It WAS popular when it first came out, but that was in the 50's, and I only heard of it by pure chance.

Keoul:
Every single song written/done/composed/made by Ken Ashcorp ever.

Seconded.

OT: Maaaan, you guys are whiter than I am.

It'd probably be easier to ask what songs I love that are popular.

I'll stop there...

I don't really pay attention to what's popular or not, so. I guess maybe the Kyary Pamyu Pamyu songs that aren't "PonPonPon"?

I'll admit I've never been a huge fan of this band, but the songs that I do like by them I can just have on repeat for the whole day.

My favorite song off their first album:

All of 'murder by death'
but special special mention goes to
spring break
the big sleep
i came around
the devil drives
comin' home
hard world and
three men hanging and
brother

Would post videos, but my internet is glacial at the moment. Seriously, more people should listen to these guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3GEPkjNh6k

It's probably Vaders most hated song because it's not going a zillion miles an hour but I love the flow of the lyrics and Peter, the singers, inflection.
And it doesn't hurt that they are about a really awesome video game.

Also props to the person who put Fair To Midland. <3

A lot. But Steppenwolf's Monster takes the cake for that I think.

One out of many songs that arent "very popular" that I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmk9JxjC-8o

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook