30.4% (121)
30.4% (121)
Gen 1-3 was where it was at
4.8% (19)
4.8% (19)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: MLP Has Jumped the Shark

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

MLP jumped the shark with the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen. That was one of the most infuriating and insulting things I have ever seen in childrens programming.

Religious propaganda should be kept out of this kind type of entertainment!

Drathnoxis:

Well, as season two ran it's course it became more and more clear that the show I loved was dying. Characters that had always been so well defined became inconsistent. In fact, Twilight Sparkle was horribly flanderized in the very first episode not directed by Faust, Lesson Zero. She goes so absolutely batshit insane over the fact that she missed one little deadline (that I might add was never specified in her original assignment) that she actually puts the town in danger and Celestia has to step in to clean things up!

It's a comedy show, it's pretty much about ponies doing exaggerated things for comedic effect. Pinkie Pie has been "flanderised" in her insanity episode, and while Fluttershy had been first introduced as meek, pretty much every episode with her personality as a plot point was about revealing some hidden strength or anger.

Drathnoxis:

Now, if this had been an isolated incident I would have just chalked it up as the one bad episode that every show has, but it set a precedent of sloppy writing and asinine plots that snowballed as the season went on. Baby Cakes: two babbys that -- straight from the womb -- could give Twilight and Rainbow Dash a run for their money in magic and flying respectively.

It's a comedy, not a shonen anime. It's not about serious consistent power levels and realistic physics.

Babies being ridiculously powerful, is funny. Characters surviving an anvil dropped to the head, is funny. Characters referencing human concepts and then pointing out that they don't make sense in the context, is funny.

Personally, I actually like all the new episodes with the exception of the Crystal Empire.

You see, I'm still watching the show under the guise of it being a lighthearted carefree cartoon about technicolor ponies (which it still is) rather than looking deeply into symbolism and character development. Basically, I'm still treating the show like My Little Pony, wheras some of you guys seem to be treating it like Fight Club.

Now, I watch the show because I still find joy in it. If you don't find joy in watching the show, I would suggest that you stop watching it. If you want to start watching it again, go right ahead. I don't care, and really, neither should anyone else.

I mean honestly, your thinking of not watching a girls' show about ponies. So what? Go right ahead. No one's is going to fight for you to remain attached to this show. DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT, is what I'm trying to say.

One last thing...

Ekit:
MLP jumped the shark with the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen. That was one of the most infuriating and insulting things I have ever seen in childrens programming.

lolwut

Tough to say. It always sucks when the original creative people behind something leave it to others. The new folks may to great but if you really liked the show for what it was at its inception then you might not want to stick with it and its "new direction".

I came into it in November right before the start of Season 3 and I have to say while I agree the show could be facing dark times ahead, I just can't get angry over it. Its a kids show and a cartoon, I don't judge any cartoons like I would judge lore or story from things like Breaking Bad or Mass Effect. I feel that if you start to do that you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is still fun to discuss it though, and I've had many laughs while doing it, so in my eyes that makes it worth it for me.

Sleepless in Ponyville was a masterpiece, there is just no getting around it and Keep Calm and Flutter On was also well done.

Also, before I go. Think about something, yes Hasbro and the writers will probably move away from whatever direction Lauren Faust might have had, but for them to deliberately want to kill the Brony fandom, that just seems inconceivable. The whole negative stereotype of 40 yr old dudes in the pink idle of Toys R' Us.. I get that, and I get how people think that is strange but does anyone really think Hasbro would deliberately throw a wrench into something that is making them a substantial amount of money over a possible negative stereotype attached to the franchise? The fandom has been around for 2 years now, if it hasn't happened yet it probably won't happen. Besides, there have been studies done stating that majority of bronies are males in their late teens and early twenties. *shrug*

PsychedelicDiamond:
Maybe it's just me but i have the feeling many people are just kinda actively looking for an excuse to say "Oh man, the show has jumped the shark!" Not because they don't like the show but because they've become so paranoid about it that they start to see reasons to dislike it all over the place. I, for my part am not really seeing it. In my opinion the show hasn't really gotten any worse. I mean, i kinda agree that some of the newer writers show their lack of familiarity with the shows style wich makes some of the episodes a bit inconsistent but it's not really jarring. I still like the show as much as i did two years ago. The novelty has worn of but i enjoy it nontheless.

Thank you for neatly summarising what I was going to write.
OT: Are you crazy OP? Or just really picky? I've rarely encountered an episode I didn't like, and most of the ones that fall into that category can be traced back to a writer whose style really does not fit the show.
But yeah, season 3 has pretty good episodes. Some lackluster, as well, sure, but that happens in a lot of shows. It's hard to keep topping oneself, and I think they're doing amazing work considering the 22 minute time limit.

Dangit2019:

Ekit:

lolwut

The episode Feeling Pinkie Keen is religious and anti-science propaganda. The moral of the story is that you should believe the supernatural explanations to things that you can't explain, that rationality and deductive reasoning always should be put second to blind belief and that trying to find out objective facts about reality on your own is a pointless endeavour.

That is a horrible moral and something that in my opinion doesn't belong in a program aimed at children.

For those who haven't seen the episode. The episode is about Pinkie Pie's supernatural ability to predict the future. Twilight Sparkle tries the entire episode to find a rational explanation to why Pinkie Pie can defy the rules of reality and keeps telling herself that Pinkie Pie's predictions are just coincidences.

In the end though she gives up trying to find a logical explanation to Pinkie Pie's ability and just accepts the fact that Pinkie Pie can predict the future and that there is no explanation.

The episode ends with this quote:

Twilight Sparkle:

Dear Princess Celestia,

I am happy to report that I now realize there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them.

Ekit:

Dangit2019:

Ekit:

lolwut

The episode Feeling Pinkie Keen is religious and anti-science propaganda. The moral of the story is that you should believe the supernatural explanations to things that you can't explain, that rationality and deductive reasoning always should be put second to blind belief and that trying to find out objective facts about reality on your own is a pointless endeavour.

That is a horrible moral and something that in my opinion doesn't belong in a program aimed at children.

No, the moral of the story is that Pinkie Pie can predict things with her fucking tail because she's fucking Pinkie Pie and that's how she rolls, yo.

Or, it's all a bunch of religious propaganda. Take your pick, I guess.

Most people say this show was never any good. That says it all imo.

I still like the show, Season 3 has had some of the best episodes in it.
And some of the worst episodes too... And that's just because I don't care about Apple Jack and she's got a lot of attention this season, but over all I like season 3 a lot.

I heard somewhere that MLP is supposed to be finite, like it's actually leading up to some sort of conclusion. If that turns out to be true it's worth sticking around for even if the show did start to loose it's charm.

Yeah, season 1 was great, there was a solid understanding of story structure and characterization that I have to believe came largely from Lauren Faust (if you look back at the episodes of "Foster's" she wrote, there's that same understanding of the fundamentals of storytelling). Season two started strong (though not as strong as late season 1), but the further it went along, the more you'd see shortcomings in story structure, a lot of the writing became less about character and story, and more about gags, and that's fine I guess, it just doesn't carry the same weight. Near the middle of season 2, there were episodes that worked as a series of sequences, but not so much as coherent narratives (The Last Roundup's a pretty good example of this), but from "It's About Time" onward, it was pretty dull. A few episodes have been pretty decent here and there, mostly episodes that were in development for a long time ("Magic Duel" and Season 2 finale were alright), but generally, it feels pretty vapid as of late.

Then there's the visual nitpicks, a lot of more recent pony designs ("Hurricane Fluttershy") just don't seem to fit in the universe in terms of color and silhouette, and they've really started to push the boundaries of taste regarding what you can do with squashing and stretching symbols in flash.

Season 3 is really the one that's convincing me the show is declining a bit, but no sharks have been jumped.

I agree for the most part, but I feel like Season 3's been more of a return to form (though FiD ties for my favorite episode). Season 2 took the series in a bad direction, and I do blame Lesson Zero for that (I still like the episode, however). Season 3 feels more character-based and far less flanderized, which I'm enjoying. Season 1 is still the best though, imho.

As for the Wedding episodes: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DX<

So much wasted potential and plotholes out the ass, particularly with the third act of episode 2. Chrysalis and the changelings suddenly becoming idiots after her reveal, 2 crippled / half-dead ponies curb-stomping the entire changeling army when Celestia literally got knocked out in one hit by the queen alone (my biggest complaint), Chrysalis underestimating love when she's powered by it, etc. I can go on and on and fucking on about all the plotholes in these episodes. While I do enjoy the episodes some, you will be hard pressed to find a bigger critic of ACW than me.

Admittedly though, the only episode I full on don't like is a Season 1 episode - Owl's Well That Ends Well. Emo Spike is worst pony.

pirateninj4:
Most people say this show was never any good. That says it all imo.

Actually, I think what that says is that most people are trolls. No big surprises there.

Filiecs:

Sylveria:
*Facepalm* Okay, bronies. I've kinda been between supportive of your enthusiasm to indifferent to it.. but now you're just getting stupid. You're talking about a show about multicolored, talking horses getting "too rediculous." This isn't The Wire, you're taking this stuff WAY too seriously.

Quite a few bronies like over-analysing the show just like other fandoms do, and who's to blame them if it's fun? It's just like having any other online discussion in your spare time, just about ponies.

While a lot of people do take the show seriously, not nearly as many people actually get legit angry over the show.

Edit: On topic, I do think the overall quality has dipped slightly but I'll wait till' season 4 to pass judgement. I think Sleepless in Ponyville was one of the best episodes ever, though.

I'm not condemning the discussion of the show. Feel free, I encourage you to let your freak flag fly and fly it high.

I'm more baffled by the concept of "Shark jumping" in a series which is already completely fantastical. Heck I can easily see RainbowDash jet-ski jumping over a shark being completely within the realm of possibilities of the show.

If the quality of the writing has declined, that's not shark-jumping. "Jumping the Shark" has a context to it, it is not the catch-all term for lowered show quality. If they spice up the show up by having aliens invade.. then it's jumping the shark.

I agree that the show has changed since it's first season, probably from the fact it's a little more self-aware of it's situation. I still like it and while I can agree it's changed I wouldn't say it's jumped the shark.

I don't see anything suggest Season 3 is causing any decline on MLP.

I know that lately the show is now is doing more to take the Brony part of the fandom into account, and so far it seems to be a step in the right direction for them, so bottom line, I think the show's getting even better.

You are all critiquing a TV show made for little girls, to sell toys. I don't think little girls and the parents that watch it with them have very high standards.

And get your terminology right. This isn't what 'jumping the shark' means.

mronoc:
Yeah, season 1 was great, there was a solid understanding of story structure and characterization that I have to believe came largely from Lauren Faust (if you look back at the episodes of "Foster's" she wrote, there's that same understanding of the fundamentals of storytelling). Season two started strong (though not as strong as late season 1), but the further it went along, the more you'd see shortcomings in story structure, a lot of the writing became less about character and story, and more about gags, and that's fine I guess, it just doesn't carry the same weight. Near the middle of season 2, there were episodes that worked as a series of sequences, but not so much as coherent narratives (The Last Roundup's a pretty good example of this), but from "It's About Time" onward, it was pretty dull. A few episodes have been pretty decent here and there, mostly episodes that were in development for a long time ("Magic Duel" and Season 2 finale were alright), but generally, it feels pretty vapid as of late.

Then there's the visual nitpicks, a lot of more recent pony designs ("Hurricane Fluttershy") just don't seem to fit in the universe in terms of color and silhouette, and they've really started to push the boundaries of taste regarding what you can do with squashing and stretching symbols in flash.

Sorry, but Magic Duel is undoubtedly my least favorite S3 episode so far. Outside of the fact that I never liking Trixie for being a stuck up, unlikable bitch; Fluttershy's character building went backwards, Trixie's redemption was even more sudden and nonsensical than Discord's (completely lacking any sort of character arc to get there), there was a distinct lack of humor outside of the gender-swap scene, and the whole episode felt like forced pandering to Trixie fans.

Also, you don't want me to talk about the Wedding. I can bitch about that disaster for a full day straight.

From season 1 to season 3 the quality has steadily declined. I attribute it to Luren Faust not having as much weight in the production of the shows.

I'm thinking she hears the general idea for the episode, maybe a synopsis, but she doesn't read the dialogue. And the dialogue is what sucks. Dialogue gives us insight into characters and the characters have become cheap Flanderized shells of their former selves. They're now either stupid or so loony that I find myself rooting for their destruction.
Before they were well-rounded characters first and quirks second. See Gravity Falls for a good example of that. Now they're just quirks.

I can name only 2, maybe 3 episodes in season 3 that I either liked or didn't hate.

So, no the show hasn't jumped the shark. It stabbed the shark with the vaulting pole.

V da Mighty Taco:

mronoc:

Sorry, but Magic Duel is undoubtedly my least favorite S3 episode so far. Outside of the fact that I never liking Trixie for being a stuck up, unlikable bitch; Fluttershy's character building went backwards, Trixie's redemption was even more sudden and nonsensical than Discord's (completely lacking any sort of character arc to get there), there was a distinct lack of humor outside of the gender-swap scene, and the whole episode felt like forced pandering to Trixie fans.

Also, you don't want me to talk about the Wedding. I can bitch about that disaster for a full day straight.

Eh, I honestly don't remember much about Magic Duel, just that I enjoyed it a lot more than any of the other S3 eps. I honestly haven't been watching the show at all lately, maybe I just liked it for Trixie's abuse of Snips and Snails. Regarding the Royal Wedding, on some level the whole thing was kind of forced into existence by toy execs, obviously, but I have a certain appreciation for some of the choices they made to make it work. BBBFF was really hokey, but other than that, the out-of-nowhere relationships were introduced in a way that at least conveyed some semblance of texture (i.e. Twilight starting off kind of pissed at everyone involved). The story was simple and stock enough that there weren't any structural hiccups, and even though you know how it's going to turn out the whole time, I thought there was enough of a moment of doubt right at the critical moment for the twist to kind of work. Also I'm just a sucker for Disney Villain style musical numbers, and the melodramatic nature of the song was at least enough to establish the stakes. If I'm being honest, part 2 is just a series of neat animated sequences (big musical number, chrysalis reveal, big fight scene), with part 1 doing just enough narrative leg work to give it some semblance of weight.

People have been going on about this since season 2 started. It always sounds like overexagerated bullshit coming from the fact that the novelty of the show's worn off. The quality's been consistent through each season with great episodes and a few under par ones mixed in.

What I'm saying is, I still enjoy it as much as when I watched the first episode. Maybe everyone just needs to stop nitpicking and just enjoy the thing or move on.

Lazy:
While there are a couple of episodes I'm not so fond of, I've found season 3's quality to be more consistent than 2. Even the few episodes I don't particularly like are still quite watchable.

Rainbow Dash's character especially has been handled a lot better than she was in season 2, where she was just straight-up unlikable a lot of the time.

Agreed. That episode improved my opinion of Rainbow Dash greatly.

OT: I'll admit, some episodes this season weren't that great. (I didn't really like Spike at your Service)

Other episodes, like Sleepless in Ponyville, I still found to be quite enjoyable.

So I don't think the show has gotten worse per say. Every show has it's bad episodes, no matter how good the overall show is.

Ekit:

Dangit2019:

Ekit:

lolwut

For those who haven't seen the episode. The episode is about Pinkie Pie's supernatural ability to predict the future. Twilight Sparkle tries the entire episode to find a rational explanation to why Pinkie Pie can defy the rules of reality and keeps telling herself that Pinkie Pie's predictions are just coincidences.

In the end though she gives up trying to find a logical explanation to Pinkie Pie's ability and just accepts the fact that Pinkie Pie can predict the future and that there is no explanation.

Twilight Sparkle:

Dear Princess Celestia,

I am happy to report that I now realize there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them.

Methinks that you're over analyzing a little bit. Also you are blowing it way way way WAY out of proportion. See Lauren's thoughts on it.

http://pandasennin.deviantart.com/art/Lauren-Faust-s-2-cent-on-Feeling-Pinkie-Keen-285338098

Drathnoxis:
This is a troll post, right? Right? Discord approved and all?

Ahem.

It's a kid's show. We're adults watching a kid's show. I think inconsistencies are to be noticed because, like it or not, we, the adults, are not the show's target demographic. MLP isn't being made for Bronies. It isn't made for the Cloppers or the Cupcake creepypasta writers or the DiscoPie or FlutterCord fans - it certainly isn't made for the Rule 34 artists loading Paheal with raunchy equine females or chimeric beings endowed with nightmarishly impossible privates.

It's made for kids. Kids are stupid. Kids watch a show, like it because it was colorful and whimsical and a distraction from having to do their homework. Faust and crew slapped in adult references to give *sosmething* to the young parents in our midst that would be stuck watching this with their daughters. That's literally the only reason why we've seen Doctor Whooves, the Big Lebowski ponies, the Batman: TAS references, Discord more or less cribbing from Q's handbook down to being voiced by the same actor...

That's it. I'm a really casual Brony myself and honestly, some fans are taking their interest way too far. Friendship is Magic hasn't set out to provoke a culture shift or speak to twenty and thirty-somethings. That's just a fluke, something that happened outside of anyone's control.

With that in mind, it hasn't jumped the shark. It's just doing its thing - which is essentially pushing merch to young girls. Life lessons are thrown in mostly because it's considered gauche to indulge in brainless fun in today's cartoon-producing culture.

So, yeah. Love and tolerate? More like love and go burn cash at the toy store for pink plastic shit.

The show's good, but to pretend that it's some kind of immense cultural vector is just plainly delusional. Give it a few years and we'll have a new generation of five to ten year-olds waiting for something that's sufficiently cute and inoffensive to obsess over.

i though season 2 was *clears throat*

FUCKING
AWESOME

with a lot of well though out eps, the finally being one of them, season 3 >.> has been kinda eh ... so far, but there's aso been a lot more CMC content, is it could just be that

I don't understand how the poll is broken?

Shadowstar38:
People have been going on about this since season 2 started. It always sounds like overexagerated bullshit coming from the fact that the novelty of the show's worn off. The quality's been consistent through each season with great episodes and a few under par ones mixed in.

What I'm saying is, I still enjoy it as much as when I watched the first episode. Maybe everyone just needs to stop nitpicking and just enjoy the thing or move on.

Right there.
People are digging a bit too deep into it and of course disappointment going to come from that. It may have a mostly adult fanbase but it's still a kid's show and it's simply not going to hold up to that kind of scrutiny.
Personally, I watch the show as it's intended, a kid's show, and I love the show just as much today (if not more) as I did when I watched my first episodes. Sure, there are episodes I disliked, not because of poor character development or plots not holding up, but simply out of personal opinion.

I watched season 1+2 and while it was okay the fandom eventually drew me to disliking it all together before S3 aired.

I also don't take kindly to ponies being slapped onto everything seeing as how the shows "were" good before ponies arrived on the scene >.>.

Why do some people want to make such a ginormous deal out of everything? It's almost as if the world is about to explode because of MLP. Them bronies are crazy folk.

Personally, while I do feel that the show is has gone a bit downhill, I still find it entertaining enough to keep watching it.

Hell, all this pandering and 'jumping the shark' happen solely because of bronies. Now that's funny.

Ekit:

Dangit2019:

Ekit:

lolwut

Twilight Sparkle:

Dear Princess Celestia,

I thought it was more of an outlook on Communism with a twinge of Jewish money grubbing.

In all seriousness, if you want to take the episode in that light(such a negative one I'd say) then fine, but I feel like that's a bit over board calling it religious propaganda. Some things you really just can't explain, they just happen, that's just as true in Ponyville as it is for our world too. And while Twilight did say believe, it was simple to infer that Pinkie Pie was capable to tell the future, so while she might not be able to understand the why and how of it, Twilight still isn't just accepting it as blindly believing it, but as an observation of a phenomenon.

Ekit:

While I can see where you're coming from with that observation, I wouldn't necessarily say it's to that degree you mention. They're not trying to convert anyone, just saying that religion is a thing, and whichever way you go on it is ok. Even if you disagree with religion in every sense of the word and what it represents, it really didn't shove it down your throat like you're implying.

Now if you want real examples of religious propaganda, I suggest you go watch a few episodes of Veggie Tales.

Edit: yes I reworded and rephrased a few things from the original post, just in case you quote me to reply. I just woke up, trying to word things a bit better than in the original post.

Hmm, I'm not sure where to begin with writing out my thoughts in regards to the question. Usually I would give an answer and then explain my thoughts but that would involve having a clear answer in mind. For instance, the big question being whether My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is as good as it was originally, doesn't have the clearest of answers. I think it's not so much a yes or no answer and more of a change in what the series is like with each season.

For instance, not commenting much on season 3 as it has yet to end, if you were to ask me which of the two completed seasons had the best episodes I would say season 2.

If you were to ask me which of the completed seasons had the worst episodes, I would say season 2.

If you were to ask me which of the completed seasons had the most consistent levels of quality, I would say season 1.

That is how I consider season 1 and 2 to be different. In season 1, nearly all the episodes were of above decent quality, with only one or two episodes not being as good. In season 2, when the episodes were bad, they were really bad, however it balances itself out by when the episodes were good in season 2, they were absolutely fantastic. So in my mind it's more a matter of what you want from the series, a series with consistent level of decent quality or a series with mostly amazing episodes but unfortunately a couple of dreadful ones. I personally think, despite how painful some of the few bad season 2 episodes were for me, that I prefer season 2 over season 1, because the good episodes retain in my memory more, and allow the show to stand out more in my mind.

In regards to season 3, as it has yet to finish I think it's still too early to conclude an opinion on it, but I can say what I think of it so far. I've found season 3 to be rather balanced in quality, like season 1, however that level of quality hasn't been quite as high. It's not bad, but it isn't as great as season 1's balance was. Also I've been at odds with some of their decisions, decisions which have sometimes left negative impacts on otherwise great episodes. In the case of Magic Duel, I found the ending forgiveness of Trixie to be rushed and disappointing, to an otherwise great episode. In the case of Wonderbolt Academy, I found the ending where Spitfire suddenly comes out and says Rainbow was right to interfere with a much more interesting and intriguing future for Rainbow Dash as a character. There's also the Discord episode, which was the first to just mar most of the good the episode itself had going for it. I find the episodes have been well written and funny, but a few of the decisions at the ends of these episodes have been dampening my overall enjoyment.

I'm going to remain positive though. The humour is funny, the characters are well developed, and the world still intrigues me. I don't believe by any account that the overall quality of the series has dropped to the point where it would be worth abandoning it, there has simply been a few bumps natural for most series to have in their lifetime. I do not expect perfection in this series, I expect there will be some episodes that I dislike and some decision in the overall story and character development that I will dislike, but the amount of things I like about this series easily out ways the bad and I'll be sticking with it. So I guess to conclude in regards to the original question; no, this series has not become worse, it has only been suffering from a couple of lapses in quality that is to be expected from any series and has otherwise remained either great or even better than it originally was.

Also I'm way too invested in my fanfiction writing for this series to just drop it.

klaynexas3:

I thought it was more of an outlook on Communism with a twinge of Jewish money grubbing.

No no no, your thinking of the Super Cider Squeezy 9000 episode. That was definitely advocating communism.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos:

Hell, all this pandering and 'jumping the shark' happen solely because of bronies. Now that's funny.

I think Yahtzee was asked a question about what a fanbase can do to provide helpful criticism towards their content creators. His answer: "Don't."

And this is what happens when people don't follow that advice.

It's a show for young children, I don't think it really needs any kind of continuity.

I'm not condemning the discussion of the show. Feel free, I encourage you to let your freak flag fly and fly it high.

I'm more baffled by the concept of "Shark jumping" in a series which is already completely fantastical. Heck I can easily see Rainbow Dash jet-ski jumping over a shark being completely within the realm of possibilities of the show.

If the quality of the writing has declined, that's not shark-jumping. "Jumping the Shark" has a context to it, it is not the catch-all term for lowered show quality. If they spice up the show up by having aliens invade.. then it's jumping the shark.

I see your point.
Also, Rainbow Dash Ski-Jumping over a shark would be goddamn amazing.
This needs to be drawn now...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked