Confirmed by Disney- Abrams to direct next Star Wars

Gizmodo:
It's official guys. Disney has just confirmed that the next Star Wars: Episode VII will be directed by JJ Abrams. Yep, the guy in charge of Star Trek is officially in charge of Star Wars.

Abrams, who has done his part in making geeky things cool for the mainstream, will direct Episode VII while Michael Arndt, the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine, will write the screenplay. Though Abrams once sorta, kinda backed off from doing Star Wars, he said:

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor. I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

--

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller. He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

Rest of the article at...

http://gizmodo.com/5979182/its-official-disney-confirms-that-jj-abrams-will-direct-the-next-star-wars-episode-vii

Who would've thought the same guy would be in charge of Star Trek as well as Star Wars. Maybe next comes Stargate?

And the world will end cuz lense flare. Now nobody else needs to make that joke for the remainder of this thread.

The only thing I'm wondering is if we'll see Abrams' patented "spaghetti monster" design in this new Star Wars. There seems to be one in almost each of his movies; Cloverfield, Star Trek, Super 8.

Casual Shinji:
And the world will end cuz lense flare. Now nobody else needs to make that joke for the remainder of this thread.

Aha. Ahahaha. Ahahahahahahahaha!

Cue 5+ pages of nothing but lens flare "jokes" and pissed-off Trekkies who want to complain about him ruining their franchise.

OT: I reserve judgement until I see the final product. He made LOST, which was pretty damn fantastic, so the guy has some credit built up with me. That said, I hope the new film isn't actually following the same model of "here's a mystery, now go crazy trying to work it out for the next week!"

Whatever comes of it, I doubt it will be worse than the prequels.
So, it's ultimately a net positive, right?

I liked the new Star Trek by Abrams. I'm not against him working on Star Wars VII

SonicWaffle:
Cue 5+ pages of nothing but lens flare "jokes" and pissed-off Trekkies who want to complain about him ruining their franchise.

Nah... just the one so far...

Casual Shinji:
The only thing I'm wondering is if we'll see Abrams' patented "spaghetti monster" design in this new Star Wars. There seems to be one in almost each of his movies; Cloverfield, Star Trek, Super 8.

Well, given it's Star Wars, it'd be a dead cert, I reckon... even as just an aside... or perhaps especially...

Eugh- well that sucks. I've never seen a sci fi so boring since the new Star Trek. It also featured perhaps cinema's first ever kamikaze death dive that hit its target and did absolutely nothing to it.

Like the new Star Trek, have never really been a fan of star wars so its looking all positive for me

Eri:

Who would've thought the same guy would be in charge of Star Trek as well as Star Wars. Maybe next comes Stargate?

My money's on Starlight Express

SckizoBoy:

SonicWaffle:

Nah... just the one so far...

I count six.

Not that it was particularly funny even the first time.

I don't like this.

I don't have really anything against him (not that I'm a big fan either), but I'm afraid Star Wars will end up looking the same as Star Trek. Some diversity would be nice.

Honestly, I would have liked someone who hasn't done much scifi before to take the project, but whatever.

My biggest fear is it won't be interesting. The prequels at least were messed up in a fascinating way.

The only worry I have is one that I've seen mentioned a few times: I hope to god that the two franchises don't end up looking like and/or feeling like each other. The thing about "nerd" franchises like Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings (to me at least) is that they all had a unique feel about them and it was obvious that they were made by different directors with different personalities; for good or for bad. If Star Trek and Star Wars starts "feeling" like they're part of the same world... I probably wont even bother. I don't know how fair that is, but its how I feel.

Shut up about the lens flares. It's old.

Moving on to something more interested than knee jerk whining...

Lieju:
I don't like this.

I don't have really anything against him (not that I'm a big fan either), but I'm afraid Star Wars will end up looking the same as Star Trek. Some diversity would be nice.

Tyler Trahan:
The only worry I have is one that I've seen mentioned a few times: I hope to god that the two franchises don't end up looking like and/or feeling like each other. The thing about "nerd" franchises like Star Trek, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings (to me at least) is that they all had a unique feel about them and it was obvious that they were made by different directors with different personalities; for good or for bad. If Star Trek and Star Wars starts "feeling" like they're part of the same world... I probably wont even bother. I don't know how fair that is, but its how I feel.

I can see why you'd be concerned about the style leading to two universes being blended together into one bland mass. On the other hand this is the first time someone has directed both a Star Wars and a Star Trek movie. This could give us a chance to see just HOW different the universes are because the movies are being made by the very same individual.

Just consider the possibilities...

I liked Star Trek, too. I do believe that Abrams is a excellent choice for making the next movie. He's dedicated as all get out, passionate about his work, not surrounded by "Yes" men like Lucas was when making the Prequels, he's technically savvy, and he won't be making this movie in a vacuum.

Disney just forked out well over 4 BILLION dollars for the Lucas franchise. It's a given that they're going to want their money's worth and that means while they've proven with the Marvel titles that they won't micromanage directors they're not going to give ANY director a blank check to operate without some oversight.

Of course Movie Bob, whom I normally like, got a burr up his butt about this. He gets like that sometimes, though to his credit outside of The Amazing Spider Man he usually tries to be fair.

He focuses on the Hollywood politics and movie making machine to the point that it's the business aspect rather than the quality of the movies that he's really reviewing (*sigh* as with The Amazing Spider Man *double sigh) with Star Wars VII he's going to have to swallow his own bile and dispense with the "I hate-" fanboy spinal reflexes that have already cropped up.

On a separate note I think it's sad that by the time SW VII comes out it will have been almost 40 years since A New Hope. George Lucas states clearly in "The Making Of" OT documentary that he originally envisioned Star Wars as similar to the old serial movies (Flash Gordon, of course) where other directors (his friends) would make Star Wars movies of their own.

I expect George and Disney will emphasize that in the months and years to come.

P.S. STOP griping about the lens flares.

Let me put it this way.

I've watched the entirety of Alias and Lost, some episodes of Fringe, Armageddon, Cloverfield, and the Star Trek remake.

There is quite literally nothing that J. J. Abrams has made that I thoroughly enjoyed, or that I consider to be good or engaging, and much of his storytelling appears to follow a pattern of building up expectations, with very little payoff or substance.

How am I supposed to be excited for the new Star Wars movie?

Eri:

Very doubtful considering MGM stopped giving a shit about Stargate.

Whatever the case this is going to make or break his career from ths point, if he can't make one of the greatest franchises in history a success, then he's done.

Well . . .fuck. Any hope for the Star Wars sequels to be anything more than mediocre just flew out of the window.

I wonder if the Hardcore Star Trek fans feel butth*rt by this news.
I mean, I am not 100% sure, but I think Star Wars and Star Trek fans are rivals in those things.
Maybe this is a rare opportunity to see at last all the fans from both franchises get along.

SweetShark:
I mean, I am not 100% sure, but I think Star Wars and Star Trek fans are rivals in those things.
Maybe this is a rare opportunity to see at last all the fans from both franchises get along.

Nope. No getting along. This will only make the rivalry heat up.

I happen to be a big fan of both franchises, and I want both to succeed, but I do not want the same man directing both of them. They are both great, and for different reasons, because they are coming from different places with different goals. They really need to be kept separate, lest they begin to resemble each other and all the mediocre, lowest common denominator action fiction out there.

Plus, if you are going to give both series to the same guy, at least give them to someone who can make them good. Which Abrams can't. I am a big fan of Lost, I think that show did a great job being what it wanted to be. But that style of storytelling does not, did not, and will not ever work for Star Trek or Star Wars. And I think J.J. has proven he's a one trick pony. Star Trek was a cinematic failure, whatever the box office numbers say, and I have very little confidence that he learned enough to make the sequel any better, or to make Star Wars any better.

This is a sad day for me. My favorite franchises are being torn down, and Peter Jackson is the only person on earth I trust anymore.

TheVampwizimp:

SweetShark:

Nope. No getting along. This will only make the rivalry heat up.

I happen to be a big fan of both franchises, and I want both to succeed, but I do not want the same man directing both of them. They are both great, and for different reasons, because they are coming from different places with different goals. They really need to be kept separate, lest they begin to resemble each other and all the mediocre, lowest common denominator action fiction out there.

Plus, if you are going to give both series to the same guy, at least give them to someone who can make them good. Which Abrams can't. I am a big fan of Lost, I think that show did a great job being what it wanted to be. But that style of storytelling does not, did not, and will not ever work for Star Trek or Star Wars. And I think J.J. has proven he's a one trick pony. Star Trek was a cinematic failure, whatever the box office numbers say, and I have very little confidence that he learned enough to make the sequel any better, or to make Star Wars any better.

This is a sad day for me. My favorite franchises are being torn down, and Peter Jackson is the only person on earth I trust anymore.

Well, I will be honest with you.
I don't think Disney give so much money to take the copyright of Star Wars, only to make a movie a total failure.
We are talking about Disney here. Even if we think Disney is a Evil organisation controled by a Giant bloody humanoid Rat from HELL, I think Disney will create a Srat Wars movie that it will suck you in [BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!!!!]

TheVampwizimp:
Star Trek was a cinematic failure, whatever the box office numbers say, and I have very little confidence that he learned enough to make the sequel any better, or to make Star Wars any better.

You do realize that movie won an oscar right? Not only that, it was nominated for 3 more. It won a Saturn award and was nominated for 5 more. In addition it won countless other awards/nominations. It's also listed on IMDB as the #226 best movie ever made.

Eri:

TheVampwizimp:
Star Trek was a cinematic failure, whatever the box office numbers say, and I have very little confidence that he learned enough to make the sequel any better, or to make Star Wars any better.

You do realize that movie won an oscar right? Not only that, it was nominated for 3 more. It won a Saturn award and was nominated for 5 more. In addition it won countless other awards/nominations. It's also listed on IMDB as the #226 best movie ever made.

And as we all know only the best and most deserving movies get nominated for and win Oscars right? IMDB also lists The Dark Knight rises as the 43rd best movie ever made.

I don't even hate the guys work other than Lost but I've yet to see damn thing that convinces me he's anything above mediocre.

Cette:

Eri:

TheVampwizimp:

And as we all know only the best and most deserving movies get nominated for and win Oscars right? IMDB also lists The Dark Knight rises as the 43rd best movie ever made.

I don't even hate the guys work other than Lost but I've yet to see damn thing that convinces me he's anything above mediocre.

If awards can't convince you then literally nothing can, what else can he be given to convince you?

That he's objectively good in a medium that's primarily subjectively judged? Making anything that elicited more than a meh when I watch it.

He can't be worse than Lucas but they could have done better. Also he may very well have the most punchable face I've ever seen. That's got nothing to do with the quality of his work it's just a thing I've noticed.

I anticipate nostalgic pandering and mediocrity, followed swiftly by rampant merchandising whose importance will utterly eclipse the film's.

So..basically it'll be just like George Lucas directing it, only the writing might make a little more sense and the pacing will be better.

Eri:

Cette:

Eri:

If awards can't convince you then literally nothing can, what else can he be given to convince you?

Simple. If he makes something good that I want to watch, that will convince me he can make something good that I want to watch. That is not what his Star Trek movie did.

And who gives a shit what IMDB thinks are the best movies ever? That's just as subjective as my own opinion, or your opinion. It has no effect on whether I enjoyed the film, or think the creators should be praised for making it. I am of the opinion that anyone who thinks Star Trek 2009 is a good movie needs to start watching better movies.

I think one of the big problems with the Star Trek reboot (which I thoroughly enjoyed by the way) for Star Trek fans (other than lens flare) was that it was too action-y rather than hard sci-fi. It's fine for Star Wars though, so I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked