Question about Django Unchained...

I just watched it today and I got a question

what the heck are Australians doing out in pre civil war America? I know realism isnt exactly Taratinos thing y....he playes an Australian and theres another one played by an Australian actor I recognize from alot of stuff but cant remember the name (the killer from wolf creek)

not a complaint or anything I just found it rather funny

anyway I find it funny

I also find the idea that the film is racist (against white people?) ridiculous

Vault101:
I just watched it today and I got a question

what the heck are Australians doing out in pre civil war America? I know realism isnt exactly Taratinos thing y....he playes an Australian and theres another one played by an Australian actor I recognize from alot of stuff but cant remember the name (the killer from wolf creek)

I have absolutely no opinion on this. I haven't even seen the film. However, I've been sat here staring at your avatar for ages, hearing the Hadaway song you quote in my head and watching your avatar dance to it. I think I might be stuck in an endless loop. What have you done to me?!

Vault101:
I also find the idea that the film is racist (against white people?) ridiculous

Yeah, that kind of bewildered me too... Christoph Waltz spends most of his screen time killing white people, then very blithely justifying what he does (notably Django's first bounty, wherein he doesn't actually kill anyone, oddly), dunno if that's not relevant.

OT: Since it was Quentin Tarantino speaking first, I struggled at first to place his accent. Then twigged it, then thought 'huh?!'... then a giant 'who cares/LOL'...

Maybe just to spice things up? I guess they were an anomaly, rather than a minority. Kind of like a norwegian in Bombay?

Oh, is that what that accent was meant to be??? Fair enough. I am a huge fan of all his movies (well, I like Deathproof, not a huge fan though) but I have always said he isn't a great actor. Not that it matters, as he rarely gives himself a very big role, and I think that if he wants to be in his own movie, he can be, and no one can complain.
As for the racist against white people thing, I didn't find it to be so. I found it to be against a certain type of white people (slavers and racists) but not white people in general. After all, Christopher Waltz is a hero in the movie and is white....

Well, Tarantino is a huge fan of old (1970s) Australian movies - he could have done it as a sort of tribute. And there almost certainly WOULD be an occasional Australian to be found in the Old West, so it's probably more a question of why NOT!

I have absolutely no idea. It seemed kinda random. I'd get it if Quentin had a killer Aussie accent he wanted to show off but it was awful. That whole scene in general kinda killed the movie for me, it seemed so self-indulgent, showing up with a fake-ass, un-needed accent and then blowing himself up in such a stupid display.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked