"Jonathan Coulton ‘Covers’ Glee’s Ripoff of ‘Baby Got Back,’ Puts It on iTunes

Unable to get any satisfaction from Glee, 20th Century Fox Television, or its lawyers, Jonathan Coulton has put his version of of Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" on iTunes, called it a "my cover of Glee's cover of my cover," and will give proceeds from its sale through February to charity.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5979255/coulton-covers-glees-ripoff-of-baby-got-back-puts-it-on-itunes-proceeds-go-to-charity?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Jonathan Coulton is awesome!

Childish?

Maybe.

Awesome?

Hell yeah.

Just to make things easier, I used YouTube Doubler to combine them. Ignore the intro, I had to make a timing correction on the fly!

Amusingly, Fox have claimed copyright on my upload!!!

Dangit2019:
Childish?

Maybe.

Why would it be childish?

Moth_Monk:

Dangit2019:
Childish?

Maybe.

It's just a little petty. But the money's going to charity, and the sweet vengeance earned makes up for it.

Dangit2019:

Moth_Monk:

Dangit2019:
Childish?

Maybe.

It's just a little petty. But the money's going to charity, and the sweet vengeance earned makes up for it.

What do you mean "petty?" As opposed to someone not simply giving credit to a person, who's work you are using - this was his song to begin with. (It's clearly original enough compared to the 1992 one)

Besides that, how can you maintain any notion of "childishness" given your cartoon preferences?! :D

Wow he actually did what some of the people posting in the other topics said he should do.

Hahaha this is actually a pretty damn good response by Coulton.

Moth_Monk:

Dangit2019:

Moth_Monk:

What do you mean "petty?" As opposed to someone not simply giving credit to a person, who's work you are using - this was his song to begin with. (It's clearly original enough compared to the 1992 one)

Dude, I'm on your side, chill out.

Moth_Monk:
Besides that, how can you maintain any notion of "childishness" given your cartoon preferences?! :D

Now that was just uncalled for.

I'm not very big on the music scene like all you hip youngsters, so I'm a little ashamed to say that I don't really know anything about Jonathan Coulton beyond what I can gather from this post, but damn is this funny!

Flaery:
I'm not very big on the music scene like all you hip youngsters, so I'm a little ashamed to say that I don't really know anything about Jonathan Coulton beyond what I can gather from this post, but damn is this funny!

He wrote "Still Alive" and "Want You Gone" from Portal 1 and 2 respectively. He does off-kilter solo work with folk music.

Moth_Monk:

Jonathan Coulton is awesome!

So making a mediocre cover of a mediocre cover of a mediocre cover is awesome?

Moth_Monk:
(It's clearly original enough compared to the 1992 one)

Yeah, things don't really work that way. Differentiation isn't enough to hold up in a court on its own.

Arguing ethics, of course, is another loser, since it's common to not credit the arrangement used in music in general. Then again, if they had a leg to stand on, they might have tried suing for those infractions.

It's because it's coulton and Glee that everyone's up in arms. Nerd icon vs common hate focus. Nothing more.

Dangit2019:

Moth_Monk:

Dangit2019:
Childish?

Maybe.

Honestly, it's the most mature thing in the world when you compare it to:

"Can I get credit for this?" "NO!" "why not?" "DON'T WANNA GIVE CREDIT!"

This amuses me greatly.
I hope that Glee makes a cover of his cover of their cover of is cover and that they keep the cycle up until they single handily destroy the music industry.

For fun of course :D

A Smooth Criminal:

Dangit2019:

Moth_Monk:

And it's definitely mature compared to:

"Why won't you give me credit?" "SHUT UP YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY TO BE RIPPED OFF AND GIVEN EXPOSURE BY US POPULAR PEOPLE!"

Dangit2019:

A Smooth Criminal:

Dangit2019:

And it's definitely mature compared to:

"Why won't you give me credit?" "SHUT UP YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY TO BE RIPPED OFF AND GIVEN EXPOSURE BY US POPULAR PEOPLE!"

"We're giving you exposure even though we're not crediting you at all, and the only people who are going to know it's your work are people who already know you!"

I think Fox and the people who make the show need a new dictionary...

Yo dawg, we heard you like covers so we did a cover of a cover so you could cover the cover of a cover while you cover!

Somebody else can Inception it, it's 4am and I can't be arsed.

Kinitawowi:
Yo dawg, we heard you like covers so we did a cover of a cover so you could cover the cover of a cover while you cover!

Somebody else can Inception it, it's 4am and I can't be arsed.

Can do...
http://inception.davepedu.com/

Good enough...

Zachary Amaranth:

Moth_Monk:
(It's clearly original enough compared to the 1992 one)

Yeah, things don't really work that way. Differentiation isn't enough to hold up in a court on its own.

Arguing ethics, of course, is another loser, since it's common to not credit the arrangement used in music in general. Then again, if they had a leg to stand on, they might have tried suing for those infractions.

It's because it's coulton and Glee that everyone's up in arms. Nerd icon vs common hate focus. Nothing more.

Fortunately all you can do is express your opinion and all the relevant people can ignore it. :)

**pats head**

"Now run along Zack, there's plenty more high horses to climb!"

So it looks like Jonathan Coulton is curb-stomping Glee; charts-wise.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked