Your Boycott List

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I've finally had enough with EA, and am actively boycotting their products, starting several months ago.
So far only two properties I would have bought have been denied my purchase.

Need For Speed: Most Wanted
Sim City (due for release this spring)

Are there any games you have boycotted?
Only post if you actually WOULD have bought the game(and didn't), if not for ethical considerations.

I haven't purchased an Ubisoft game since Assassins Creed ..... the first one.

The constant shitty DRM and sticking two fingers up to PC gamers forced me to stick two fingers up back and not give them any of my money.

I will never buy an Ubisoft game.

I'm technically boycotting EA, but I'm not buying that many games as of recently, so I'm not sure how effective it is.

My dad got NCAA Football though. I had to explain to him why he couldn't play multiplayer without downloading freaking Origin and validating the retarded online pass. That kind of ticked him off.

Only one name is on my boycott list. That's my boycott list.
Yes, I've boycotted my boycott list.

Sassafrass:
Only one name is on my boycott list. That's my boycott list.
Yes, I've boycotted my boycott list.

Great, you broke the internet again. I guess that means you have to hit the reset button right...

...here ----->image

I'm boycotting this one used game store in my town. The staff is kind of rude, and the upstart shop down the street run by college kids appreciates my business a lot more. Plus, they have all games, not just modern ones.

Nope. I had boycotted Dead Space 2 because of it's incredibly shitty commercial that tried to single-handedly destroy any credibility gaming had but Vault101 convinced me to forgive it. Now I don't buy it because I didn't care for Dead Space 1 :)

Other than that, there is no game or game company that I have ever boycotted.

None that I can think of.
There's things that I think "fuck getting that at full price" and I stick to it but I've never actually boycotted anything.

I boycott a few little things here and there but I mostly boycott Wallmart because of all the economic issues they push and others policies.

I dont boycott things...if I want them I want them

that and I like to suport devs

the closest I ever came to boycotting was Diabldo 3 killing what little interest I had

Uhhhh... Chick Fil-E? Yeah, those assholes. Them. That's about it.

Hey,
Maybe while you people deny yourself of certain products you would have bought if it wasn't for ethical stuff, you should write a (WELL WORDED AND FORMATTED, HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL, BUSINESS) complaint letter telling them this. Otherwise you could be seen as just another potential customer not informed about the product.

(Also consider "love the song, hate the artist")

I will personally thing long and hard before I boycott someone so that it has more importance.

I only boycott two things. The first are games that require always online play and the second is anything Origin Exclusive.

It's mostly out of "This is really bad, I don't want to pay money for something I won't like".

-Wizards of the Coast
-Gamestop
-Walmart

That's about it. Other than that, I just use good judgement on individual games and series.

EA, but thats more due to them producing nothing but DLC filled dross since Dragon Age 2.

Ubisoft due to their BS Always Online DRM. However due to them finally dropping that retarded idea, they are now on the wait for a massive discount list.

Dominos, Chevrolet, American Red Cross, Doritos, etc for putting up Ad Captchas on the Escapist.

Bocaj2000:
-Wizards of the Coast

This is one I don't see often, and I'm compelled to ask why, exactly.

Oh, also... I used to be boycotting EA, but then I realized that I might let some potentially good games fall by the wayside because I don't like EA, rather than sending EA a message via their sales numbers about what good games actually are.

Oh, and I boycotted Diablo III (I guess). It came outt wo days after my birthday, and one of my brothers let slip he was going to buy it as a birthday gift for me.

He quickly found another gift after I ranted about D3's terrible, horrible, always-online deal.

I boycott all institutions that serve endangered panda. I really can't be bothered to care that much about issues that are actually issues.

captcha: never give up

Too late...

If apathy for all of their games and not purchasing them because I don't find them entertaining counts as boycotting, then I am currently Boycotting pretty much every big-name publisher. I think the only people I buy games from nowadays are Namco for their Tales series, Atlus for SMT and Persona, and NIS for Disgaea and the occasional miscellaneous jrpg. Oh, and Nintendo for pokemon.

...What? I like my melodramatic anime characters and anime style graphics engines. Innovation isn't really the biggest thing with me. I say if I enjoy it and it works, then don't fix it, or else we get FF13s(I actually like that game from what I have seen) and terrible Sonic 3D titles after what seemed like a good transition into 3D.

I'm boycotting Ubisoft until they stop treating us like a) criminals in the case of PC gamers or b) idiots in the case of Beyond Good & Evil fans. The next Ubisoft game I will buy is BG&E2.

Real shame, I really do want to play Far Cry 3.

Thanatos5150:

Bocaj2000:
-Wizards of the Coast

This is one I don't see often, and I'm compelled to ask why, exactly.

Oh, also... I used to be boycotting EA, but then I realized that I might let some potentially good games fall by the wayside because I don't like EA, rather than sending EA a message via their sales numbers about what good games actually are.

Oh, and I boycotted Diablo III (I guess). It came outt wo days after my birthday, and one of my brothers let slip he was going to buy it as a birthday gift for me.

He quickly found another gift after I ranted about D3's terrible, horrible, always-online deal.

WotC is more for personal reasons. Specifically the economy around Magic ($200 for a single card is infuriating) and the lack of variety of products. Firstly, Magic: I like playing the game, but I hate the product. It is pay to win in the purest form and makes its money at the expense of the customers. In order to be a regular player, one must subscribe to the game because their cards get outdated. I'm not talking about quality; I'm talking about not being able to participate in tournaments. Magic represents everything I hate about collectable card games, but the hole it puts in its customers' pockets is the worst offender.

As for their lack of variety: the only other franchise they have worth talking about is DnD. DnD is a good RP, but there are better out there. So I refuse to buy Magic cards and decide to play GURPS instead of DnD... what else does WotC have for me? Nothing. Contrast to Fantasy Flight Games. HUGE variety; better games; better business model. Wizards has no use to me and has become obsolete, therefore I boycott.

Also, you might find this video of Diablo III interesting:

Just EA, can't stand their business practices. Of course most publishers are despicable, but EA seems to be the worst. Not that I'm buying many games right now anyway due to poor finances.

Budweiser, because I went to school with the grandson or something of one of the owners of Anheuser-Busch, and he was a colossal douche and I don't want to indirectly give him a cent of my money.

I don't really boycott anything on some ethical stand. I'm conflicted about the Chick Fil-a hullabaloo because while I don't agree with Chick Fil-a's extracurricular fundraising efforts, their actual business model and customer service are an example for pretty much every fast food restaurant to follow, and their food is good for what it is. If I didn't think that gay marriage is inevitable and the Christian right couldn't stop it, I would be much more conflicted about going there.

Dead Space 3.

They put micro-transactions in the SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!?!?
Couple that with Origin, the console version likely having an online pass, most likely there will be Day One DLC in one form or another, and the fact that there are FUCKING MICRO-TRANSACTIONS IN THE SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN, that revolves around weapon crafting and upgrading. They are reworking an essential part of the game entirely, just to include more ways to nickel and dime everyone.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6755-Breaking-the-Bones-of-Business#forum_posts_header_new

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121640-EA-Brings-Microtransactions-to-Dead-Space-3

The thing is, I WANT to play this game. I LOVE Dead Space, but this... just good god. I can't do it. I can't support such practices.

After Crysis 3, I am DONE with EA...

At least Crysis 3 looks to have some decent design and no fucking IN GAME PAYMENTS for the SINGLE PLAYER PORTION OF THE FUCKING GAME!

Unless they added that recently and I am just unaware of it...

Maybe not boycotting but I will think twice (or thrice even) before I will buy anything from EA, Ubisoft or Squaresoft. The latter really irritated me with re-releasing FF7 on PC with SecuROM and cloud saves.

I don't so much boycott as I ignore due to a lack of interesting releases.

The rare videogame that EA puts out that looks interesting, I make a point to buy used specifically so they don't make any money off of them. But that's not boycotting, that's just spite.

(Yes, I realize that in the broad scheme Gamestop's not much better, but the people there have always dealt square with me, so I keep going.)

Really, the only things that come to mind are all the multiplayer-oriented shooters, Halo, Modern Warfare, Gears of War, and so on. (well, except for Borderlands, if I'm being honest.) I used to play the first Halo back before my first XBox got stolen, but I haven't played the series since. Gears of War is different; I played the first one and found the tone of the series not to my liking. In fairness though, I liked the whole "reload + QTE = damage boost" mechanic, and I feel that's how you do a QTE right. It was totally optional, and it gave the various guns personality. This is something I like about Fallout's guns as well; at lower repair levels they're prone to jamming or malfunctioning, and watching my character fiddle around with them in various ways felt more alive than a repetitious reload animation. My personal favorite was the Gatling Lazer, and that powerful-sounding hum it made when you got it back online.

...I've gone off on a tangent. What else don't I buy? Oh yeah- Sports games. Pro wrestling gets an occasional pass because I like 3D fighters in general, but for the most part sports and their various videogames have no appeal to me.

EA.
Very easy to do since I only ever shop on steam these days and they've kindly quarantined themselves away from me. In fact, Origin is excellent at sorting out the DRM-loaded turds.

I'd not say it's a boycott, yet, but I'm very reluctant to spend money on any game associated with NCSoft following their shutdown of City of Heroes.

I wasn't that interested in Guild Wars 2 to begin with, so really this'll only be put to the test when Wildstar launches, which won't be for a while yet.

Hmmm apparently I'm one of the only people who chooses to shop where its convenient and I get good value (Wallmart, Gamestop, Origin) and chose what to buy based on what looks fun (half of what the EVUL publishers put out) rather than making choices based on moral indignation, So I guess I'm boycotting boycotting.

Okay, I'm boycotting Activision (Because of CoD's neverendingness and ridiculous DLC, and the fact that none of their other games interest me...last Activision game I bought was Battlezone. The first one). I WAS boycotting EA, but that was broken by Mass Effect, though it may resume again because of that...even if Army of Two: The Cartel seems like fun to me, if only for the cheesiness and weapon customization. Plus it's also one of the few game series left with split-screen co-op.

Ubisoft is another company because of that hideous online DRM, and their games aren't interesting to me anymore. Damn, I sound like a gaming hipster. Capcom hurt me with the new DmC, but they've regained my love with the announcement of a Dragon's Dogma expansion.

No boycotts here. I try not to let the petty politics ruin my hobby.

Rawne1980:
I haven't purchased an Ubisoft game since Assassins Creed ..... the first one.

The constant shitty DRM and sticking two fingers up to PC gamers forced me to stick two fingers up back and not give them any of my money.

I will never buy an Ubisoft game.

My thoughts exactly, save one minor detail:

If the game is made by Michel Ansel, I may buy it used, second-hand, or at an extremely steep discount. Like, say, Rayman Origins. If only to support the man and his team.

Otherwise, the rest Ubisoft can kindly shove up their collective asses.

On top of my pseudo-boycott of Ubisoft:

I have decided to steer clear of anything and everything relating to EA. Until a vast majority of their upper management is fired, and they restructure their abhorent business practices, I will never buy a game crafted under their banner, nor use any service they provide, again.

Chik-Fil-A is another. I am aware that the vast majority of the company employees may not hold the views of the owners and CEOs, but from my perspective buying from their restaurants supports the ideals of the owners. So it's KFC or home-cooked friend chicken from now on.

Wal-Mart is especially high on the list. Namely for human-rights violations.

I also plan to no longer purchase any Blizzard-related products. I may, begrudgingly, make use of their Battle.net service, but only in-so-far-as I no longer have any choice with most of the games I own from them.

Also, until Gamestop stops, or at least cuts back on, the blatant ripping-off of customers buying used items, I will no longer step foot in their stores.

There are a lot of things I just don't buy, but not with anything that single-minded in purpose. THQ was my only real boycott. I may still skip SR4, or the next WWE game, or Darksiders, but THQ is dead. I wrote them a letter and everything, back when this was an issue. I don't buy much in the way of Ubisoft anyway, having not bought an AC game since 2, and having not finished it either. I bough Mass Effect 3 for multiplayer when it was reduced in price, and I have no regrets. I will buy EA games when I see fit, but I don't buy many of them anyway.

Aeonknight:
No boycotts here. I try not to let the petty politics ruin my hobby.

The end result being letting business ruin your hobby.

I wouldn't call it "boycotting" but the only publisher I just won't buy anything from is Ubisoft... God they are terrible people.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked