Your Boycott List

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Ea and activision Ea for Touching every great game studio with the it's touch of death and its pants on head marketing team and dumbass need to put multiplayer into everything and actiivion for its map packs

I've boycotted the entire AAA industry for years now, I'm happier for it. The only exception is Spec Ops but I suppose that's more like double A. I'll problably buy Walking Dead at some point which is also double A. I've also considered getting a hold of Bayoneta and Lollipop Chainsaw at some point, they line up with my interests, To be honest, once I stopped following the AAA market I was much happier and started realizing how terrible the quality of the average AAA game is.

Zachary Amaranth:

Aeonknight:
No boycotts here. I try not to let the petty politics ruin my hobby.

The end result being letting business ruin your hobby.

Ruined by your standards maybe. I personally don't care if a game has DRM, or if the DLC is stored on the disc instead of on a server somewhere. If the games ever get bad to the point where they are truly unplayable... then I won't buy them. But I'm not going to intentionally not play a good game because the publisher's CEO hates gay marriage.

EA
Blizzard/Activision
Ubisoft
Any game using Windows Live
Any kind of "custume" or Day1 DLC you can buy. Doesnt mean I wont buy the game but the DLC can go screw itself

With almost all of the major publishers going down the crapper, I find myself almost exclusively buying indie games. Not that I think they are nessecarily better but because they are usually product of love rather than greed. They are not (as) infested with hellishly annoying DRM and atrocious design decisions made solely to cater to a specific demographic rather than to make the game better.

Its a shame too because I see a lot of interesting games I would love to try out, but supporting companies with such horrible standards would be like selling my soul.

Edit: Especially Activision (and by Proxy ActiBlizzard) has a place in the darkest and dampest place of whatever idea of hell you may or may not belive in. I will never forgive them for ruining Troika just to make a little extra money.

Aeonknight:

This. I judge each game on it's own merits.
I took up gaming to have fun, not to fight for a cause.

-AAA titles
-MMORPGs
-EA
-Activision
-spotty DLC

That's as far as games go.
There are a few exceptions to the first rule, but the other three have really been set in stone recently.

Down with the greedy corporations, long live the independent and free.
Then repeat the cycle infinitely when the unknowns become the big names of tomorrow.

captcha: leaps and bounds
Indeed.

I have not purchased a so-called "Triple A" title at all since Half-Life 2 except for Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. But I got Diablo 3 for free when I agreed to a year of WoW which I would have paid for anyway. Games these days are kind of a joke in my opinion and most are not at all worth the $60 price tag that the vendors seem to think they are worth. The fact that almost 90% of them drop down to half that or less after only a week or two seems to prove they are wrong. I live in the middle of nowhere so it's not like I have a clear idea about this but that's how it seems when I get out to a Walmart or Game Stop. At any rate, there are currently ZERO big name titles that appeal to me even in the slightest right now.

Vigormortis:

If the game is made by Michel Ansel, I may buy it used, second-hand, or at an extremely steep discount. Like, say, Rayman Origins. If only to support the man and his team.

1. That's "Ancel." 2. If you're buying it used or second-hand then you're not supporting him.

JudgeGame:
I've boycotted the entire AAA industry for years now, I'm happier for it. The only exception is Spec Ops but I suppose that's more like double A. I'll problably buy Walking Dead at some point which is also double A. I've also considered getting a hold of Bayoneta and Lollipop Chainsaw at some point, they line up with my interests, To be honest, once I stopped following the AAA market I was much happier and started realizing how terrible the quality of the average AAA game is.

Ah! A man after my own heart. At first, for me, it was just about money. After being unemployed for 2+ years I simply couldn't justify buying them. But I noticed something in the culture, after a while. It started to hit me when I would hang out with my brother and his friends. They'd be talking about this or that game that they were really excited about getting their hands on the instant it came out. But they wouldn't talk about the features or gameplay. It was always the awesome graphics. That was, literally, all they cared about and I realized that them and people like them were a majority of the market. More than willing to pay 60 bucks on day one to play a beautiful piece of crap.

Tesco - I had to do a piece of coursework in school about them that involved a ton of research and everything I found just made me hate them more.

Did you know they tried selling pole-dancing kits aimed at children?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tescos-toy-pole-dance-kit-646625

Uh...I boycott bad games? I don't care enough about peoples business methods to boycott someone. Maybe if they fuel their workers with the blood of newborns, but if not, then no.

I don't boycott games or companies, but I do boycott paid DLC, as I'm very much against the practice. Take Skyrim, I play the game and enjoy it, but I haven't bought Dawnguard or Hearthfire and won't buy Drgaonborn when it is released. I will, however, buy the collectors edition thing when that is finally released.

So yeah, paid DLC is the only thing I really boycott.

Sassafrass:
Only one name is on my boycott list. That's my boycott list.
Yes, I've boycotted my boycott list.

Yeah, I'm boycotting your boycott of your boycott list.

OP: I don't boycott anything, boycott always seems so dramatic for these threads.

A large group of people ignoring a local business because the owner did something shitty is a boycott or a community refusing to rent from a certain landlord because he unfairly evicted tenants is a boycott. Depriving the person/business of their cash-flow to make them reconsider. I know those examples are very nineteenth century but I'm a history student, that's where my understanding of the word comes from.

I don't consider half-heartedly refusing to spend 40 quid on a game that you know isn't going to be great from a dodgy developer a boycott. If you're refusing to buy a good game because of it then you're just sending the wrong message entirely. You're going to be a drop in the ocean of their overall sales figures and, if anything, you're just taking another number away from supporting decent games.

I boycott, that is to say I wont buy, games that I don't like. Other than that I wont refuse to sell from a company specifically, however EA and Activision have seen a steep drop in purchases......

EA for many reasons. Also I refuse to buy Ubisoft games on pc and as of a year ago their console games also. For me its not even about the drm anymore but rather their horrible attitude to paying customers. It seems they think if they turn their back on me then I'll stab them and rob their gran's pension. You know Ubisoft if I wanted to rob you, I'd wait outside your hq with a balaclava and some lead piping and do it the old fashioned way.

EA, Activision, Capcom, Square Enix, and Ubisoft will never receive money from me again. Bethesda as well, if I can help it. Haven't purchased something from EA, Activision, Capcom, and Square for three years now. Ubisoft for a little over two years now, with the exception of AssCreed 3, which was given as a gift.

Fun way to chastise your friends and hopefully help your cause? Next time you see them playing something you don't like/disagree with/whatever, just ask them if they're enjoying killing the game industry. Sure it's a dick move, but I've done it a few times and a few friends have been more conscious when they buy games now.

Anything with 'always online'.

I also kind of boycott EA and Activision. I don't buy any of their games new, but if they release a good game then I'll borrow it off of a friend or get it used. Whatever results in me playing the game and those scumbags not getting my money.

Any games made by Phil Fish (Fez being the most notable) the guy is an egotistical fuck wad who believes that his opinion is that of a generation. The painful thing is i really want to play and buy Fez but i'm not comfortable at all with any of my money going to the creator :(

Not gonna cover old ground but if your curious about the dude Google up Phil Fish controversy and come to your own conclusion.

Ubisoft. I will never forget them calling PC gamers dirty thieves. Only game with their mark I have is Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes but I bought that before I began doing this.

Rastien:
Any games made by Phil Fish (Fez being the most notable) the guy is an egotistical fuck wad who believes that his opinion is that of a generation. The painful thing is i really want to play and buy Fez but i'm not comfortable at all with any of my money going to the creator :(

Not gonna cover old ground but if your curious about the dude Google up Phil Fish controversy and come to your own conclusion.

I too was thinking about this. The guys really seems like huge asshole but his case (and Orson Scott Cards when it comes to books) taught be to separate creator from his creation. With Ubisoft, their DRM makes their games worse, and thats one of the reasons why I don't buy them. However, if I could buy Fez I would do so because he, despite being douchebag, also seems to be very talented game maker and for that I would give him my money.

I'm sure my list is a lot longer than this, but I do boycott Origin. I will have nothing to do with the program. Walmart is there too, but I live in an area where sometimes it is my only choice when I need certain things. I would boycott Chick-Fil-A, but I have never seen one, so not much of an issue.

I wouldn't want to go so far as to say I'm actively boycotting things, but... yes, there are some things that I have a strong inclination to not care for much.

Namely, I can't stand the AssCreed series, as it falsifies history and actively makes people dumber in the process. I can't have that. Shitting on the memory of the Templars is not something I feel I have to tolerate and/or sponsor.

I also have severe issues with EA/BioWarts ever since the Dragon Age 2 turd they dumped right smack in the middle of our living room after we gave them our hard earned cash. Also, I have issues with no longer wanting to be nice to people out of fear of living a very promiscuous, if not to say slutty lifestyle. Oh, and the multiple choice answers I picked were sometimes so far off what was actually said I can now promote the Mass Effect games to families of schizophrenics and people with communications disabilities, as it's just so darn easy to be misunderstood.

I'm generally steering clear of wine, fruits and other produce that has to be shipped or flown halfway around the planet to reach us. Obviously, that does not apply to games, movies, music, books or other assorted media.

Ah, yes - I am somewhat boycotting regional online stores, because they tend to take my money all too willingly, but skimp out on delivering what I want. That depends on location, though.

Blunderboy:

Aeonknight:

This. I judge each game on it's own merits.
I took up gaming to have fun, not to fight for a cause.

Same here.

I enjoy games for what they are, not where they came from or who made them.

If I have to pick between having fun and holding a grudge, I'd be crazy to pick the latter.

I would boycott EA except the bastards have the rights to games that I genuinely like, despite being associated with them. While I am happy to avoid games that require Origin or anything else that is an inconvenience, I am not going to stop playing a series I really like because of the publisher.

Actual EA games themselves where they have developed them on the other hand...

Quite a few, but no games companies. It tends to be because of business practises I consider immoral rather than just cos they pissed me off a couple of times.

At the moment, Apple because of their appalling work conditions and what I consider exploitation in developing countries.
Starbucks, Amazon etc. tax avoidance (I'm kind of shooting myself in the foot as I now have nowhere to buy mp3s)
Tesco, killing the highstreet and fucking over local councils.

I think thats it at the moment actually.

Well I wouldn't say I'm boycotting anything... I don't generally buy Ubisoft games because I don't very much agree with Ubisoft. Then I've also not found any of their games very interesting for a long time! Well I did get Farcry 3, so thats one. Like I said, I wouldn't call what I'm doing boycotting, just "generally not buying" X3.

I have no interest, no need and no intention of buying any more Battlefield, Medal of Honor or Call of Duty games, for several reasons. When it comes to Battlefield... Well BF3 was a bit disapointing. It was alright, but disapointing. It also looks horrible, I cannot comprehend what they were thinking. Medal of Honor and Call of Duty is just generally uninteresting to me. I like FPS games and all, but the way these games are doing it makes it feel so boring! I also didn't much care for Spec Ops: The Line, but I understand that opinion counts for treason around the internets these days so I won't speak more of it! The fact that I barely buy games from any of the really big publishers these days is more because their games are not at all interesting to me than anything else. Farcry 3 and Sim City being the exceptions, I cannot think of any releases last year, or any expected this year, that I am at all paying attention to.

Planetside 2 is both interesting, entertaining and VERY beautiful. Unfortunately it is very flawed, I do hope they fix the most pressing issues soon. This game has filled the FPS hole in my heart. I AM going to buy Sim City. The beta was great fun, I love the series and I feel the way they did this one really works. Third on my list of things to buy (already pre-ordered Galactic edition actually!) is Planetary Annihilation. Very eager to get my hands on this one.

I don't boycott companies, I doubt it makes any difference and for the guys working there who have nothing to do with business practises it just seems unfair on them somehow,
However on a hypocritical note I don't by from supermarkets such as sainsburies (U.K) cause I've heard they just undercut the market which can't be good for anyone

I guess I am boycotting Call of Duty as I don't think they are worth 60 dollars. Also I am going to start boycotting Capcom if they ever ruin the Dead Rising series.

I hate EA with a passion. I see them the way extremely superstitious religinuts see pokemon.

So just EA really. Also Ubisoft kind of for the bullshit they pulled with R.U.S.E.

Any game with DRM that requires you to be online every time you want to play.

Basically Ubisoft with some EA titles plus D3.

But EA and Ubisoft both have strong dev teams. Why do you think they're loaded with cash to begin with? It's because they have studios who know how to make good games. Does your boycott really hurt the evil publishers, or does it in fact hurt the developers?

I agree that you should vote with your wallet, but not based on the inherent villainy of the publishers. Instead, vote based simply on the game's quality.

Vigormortis:

- snip -

If the game is made by Michel Ansel, I may buy it used, second-hand, or at an extremely steep discount. Like, say, Rayman Origins. If only to support the man and his team.

You're not really supporting Michel Ansel by buying his game used. He already made his residual when your copy was sold the first time around, so the only support you're providing is morale, and even then not much.

I've never boycotted any one. I do however avoid games that have ridiculous DRM, and annoying strategy's to try and make me pay more some how though. I also hope they burn so they stop pulling of this bullshit.

For any one this confuses, it's cause I was brought up in a time when gaming giants very rarely pulled this shit, and the games always felt like it was great value with so much to offer, with out having to pay any fucking extra for the features! I literally used to buy games at random (well, what looked like it would be great) and some of those ended up being some of the most memorable experiences I've ever had. Now I have do research with every title to see what I'm actually getting. Have you ever felt what this is like, with hardly any businesses treating you like pirates and finding ways to make you pay extra?

Boycotting Origin and anything with an always-online requirement. Don't mind online features, as long it's my choice when (or if) I use them. Also, CCP for allowing hackers to get away with account theft (so I'll sadly miss out on WoD if and when it comes out) and XBox Live, for similar reasons. Hackers stole 150 from me and MS wouldn't refund it, despite the ability to do so. So that 150 is the last money XBox Live will ever see from me.

Oh, and the PS Vita. Too expensive, proprietary cards, etc. Might consider it if they can get homebrew running on it.

I don't really go out of my way to boycott any company, even one I dislike as much as EA. If EA releases a game I would like, I'd really be punishing myself if I choose not to play it. That being said, I haven't bought an EA game in a long time. I think the last one I bought was Tetris on my phone five years ago. But that's because none of their games really interest me.

I'm getting close to it for Ubisoft and it's bullshit, made easier by the slow degradation of the Assassin's Creed series into linear handholding, but if AC4 is good I'd probably get it at some point. I hate EA and many like it's business practices, but I don't boycott it deliberately at the moment. The one thing I boycott is Nintendo-exclusive Monster Hunter. I could probably buy a Wii and Tri cheaply at the moment and I'd have a blast, but I won't, on principle, because I think they made a poor decision abandoning their Playstation fanbase and I hope I contribute a little bit towards making them feel the effect of that.

I don't buy anything with on-disc DLC or anything that requires a constant online connection to play single player. Both of those things are atrocious. So far the only games I've actually had to pass up for that are Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3 respectively.

It's pretty easy to do since most of the companies that do that stuff make shitty games anyway. Come to think of it, most companies just make shitty games these days.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here