Intros you just can't skip

Pages PREV 1 2

Both openings to Darker than Black season 1 I can't skip. I dunno why...

EDIT- Here are the openings!

I apologize for shitty quality, these are the best videos I can find in the space of 5 minutes. :-)

Just because I love the kooky song. First OP to Ranma 1/2

Scarim Coral:
I also can't skipped this one because I love the old retro anime song feel to it!

Damn, I just watched it and while I found the music to be okay, the animation and style of this was just epic!

Scarim Coral:
I also can't skipped this one because I love the old retro anime song feel to it!

Oooo, I really like that one. The animation style reminds me of Tekken, lol.

UncleUlty:
OT: This right here is pure concentrated awesome

That reminds me so much of Cowboy Bebop o_o
I've been meaning to watch Clannad for the longest time, but that just jumped it from 8th on the list to #1.

SckizoBoy:

Torrasque:
Here is the intro of Aria the Animation, tell me what you think:

Awesome! Another Aria fan... thing is, though, you post one, and it's just not enough... because the op changed (visually, that is) for every episode... so that's 53 opening animations... -_- and its content was typically connected with the episode's plot.

Anyway, loved that series, great manga ('specially when you find out who her penpal is)... and now reading Kozue Amano's new manga Amanchu!, which is just as awesomely slice-of-life-y.

The song is still the same for the season, but yeah I know the intro changes each episode. I like how the intro is PART of the episode, its one of the main reasons I make sure to watch it every time. I haven't read the manga but I imagine its the same kind of thing, maybe more silliness. To be honest, Aria is my first real slice-of-life since I thought they were just boring dramas. But no, it turns out that slice-of-life is awesome in every way :O

And jumping to 2nd on my "anime to watch" list, an anime that I had never heard of:

The Wykydtron:
NEEDOLISH!

Johnny Novgorod:
No love for the offspring of Shinichiro Watanabe?

I fucking love the intros and outros of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Anything Shinichiro Watanabe makes is pure gold. I've watched entire animes solely for the reason that he made or helped make the music. I usually enjoyed them for their own merits later, but he is the perfect spark that starts my flame of interest.

Popadoo:

Actual intros I can't skip:

One of the best series ever made in my opinion. Gives me the chills every time.

Only intro i always just have to see.

dudagato:
Surprised no one mentioned the opening for Gurren Lagann.

This opening always puts a huge smile on my face.

All of Gurren Lagaan puts a huge smile on my face. Except some parts... But definitely my #1 anime for mecha and silliness. FLCL comes close to matching Gurren Lagaan for silliness, but there are parts of Gurren Lagaan that contain more silliness than entire seasons of silly anime.

thesilentman:
Both openings to Darker than Black season 1 I can't skip. I dunno why...

Its the guitar riffs man, they're so fucking good. I can practically hear it right now just thinking about it ^_^

neonsword13-ops:
I've been watching a lot of Sword Art Online recently. And I gotta say, I love the intro.

Agreed. I really dig the first intro to SA:O. The second, not as much, but its still fantastic.

Sectan:
Wow. I'm probably going to look like a perv, but I swear I don't skip it because I like the music. THAT'S ALL!

DON'T JUDGE ME!

EDIT: Oh God it has an age gate >_>

By Thor's hammer... The fan service... o_o
AND THATS JUST THE INTRO!!! xD

Edl01:
Despite not being called it this topic is basically purely refering to anime, since I can't name any shows here in the US that really put effort into their openings.
A ton of them, someone already mentioned Nichijou(I can't believe there isn't a female singer in that songs!) so I'll ad future diaries(Mirai Nikki) into the mix, that opening is just so awesome. Plus is just passed 3.5 million views.

That could be an entirely new topic by itself, "Why are anime intros so good and so catchy, but non-anime intros usually bland/boring/shitty/poorly made?"

Maybe a separate thread devoted to non-anime intros that you don't want to skip?

ZP
Escape to the movies
Cinema snob
Hellsing
NGE
that's the ones from the top 'o mah head.

Torrasque:

Fun fact - A majority of the writers and people involved with the show are women. >_>

My mighty robo-logic allows me to get bored of ANY intro, no matter how well done.

Sectan:

Torrasque:

Fun fact - A majority of the writers and people involved with the show are women. >_>

I.... don't know how to feel about that....

I'm seeing a bit of an anime trend from this thread... makes me wish I could watch more!
If game intros are fair game then I always liked the Custom Robo Gamecube opening, even if it really over-dramatized the things you could do in the game:

Of late, I've found Left 4 Dead 2 to also have an awesome opener:

Game of Thrones' opening is probably the most interesting i've seen yet. Also the music. Oh yes, the music. Yes.

[quote="SupahGamuh" post="18.399699.16407398"]

Beat me too it, the show only had two openings and that second one...

Special mention to this amazing intro

I rarely skip intros in general. I don't know what it is about them, but they're always fun to watch for me.

The main exception is if the intro is unbearably long.

One stands out in my mind as miles above the rest. I usually don't skip intros, but I actively look forward to this.

Those drums. God damn, those drums...

I hate to post again, but this thread got me and a friend talking...
Batman Beyond, anyone remember this old gem? I certainly didn't!

Hmmm ... I've got some from my childhood that are still my faves. Too many in fact to bother linking them all.
I'll just share one fantastic intro from my time in Japan:

Chibi Maruko-chan

Meh, I'm lazy so fuck videos.
Game of Thrones, Baccano!, Durarara!!, Evangelion, the first intro for Fullmetal Alchemist, Doctor Who, Firefly, the PSone version of Chrono Trigger, the DS versions of FFIII and FFIV, what did I miss...
Also LoadingReadyRun and Feed Dump are the only escapist videos whose openings I'll watch anymore. Seriously, MovieBob? 17 seconds of a single screen of text? For what purpose?

EDIT: Meh fuck it, have some clips.

Chaosian:
I'm seeing a bit of an anime trend from this thread... makes me wish I could watch more!
If game intros are fair game then I always liked the Custom Robo Gamecube opening, even if it really over-dramatized the things you could do in the game:

Chaosian:
I hate to post again, but this thread got me and a friend talking...
Batman Beyond, anyone remember this old gem? I certainly didn't!

Nice you both actually beat me to the punch very good choices. Personally there are a lot of intro out there that I absolutely love but I think more people need to go get their friends!!!!!

Here are some other great intros as well

Erm, excuse the overdose of anime in this thread, but we need to get this shit back on track!

And this alternate version of Voyager is great too.

On the animation front, this one's a particular favorite of mine.

Techno Beethoven. TECHNO. BEETHOVEN.

Personally I can skip pretty much anything, but being bothered - or even able to - depends on whether I'm watching it on TV, the computer, or some other medium, and if it's easy or even possible to skip the thing.

A lot of my watching of actual series of scripted shows or cartoons recently has been with DVD box sets, and for most of them the makers have been kind enough to put a chapter mark between the end of the intro and the start of the actual content (and in some cases you can skip the recap too), though in one particular case I did end up having to get quite familiar with my DVD player's "seek by time" function, and the 8x fast forward for another.

If it's on TV, or streaming media, usually either you can't skip (naturally), or it's so unreliable or prompts such a loading delay it's just not worth it... maybe I'll go grab a drink instead. VHS or VCD, well, YMMV depending on the hardware. My own isn't too bad for it...

However...

SomeLameStuff:
I can't skip the opening to Megas XLR, I just dig giant robots too much!

Popadoo:

Actual intros I can't skip:

...ones like those, I tend to let run (though I'm yet to actually watch much of either show 9_9). Notice the connection? Yep, the theme tunes are either pretty mainstream in terms of music, or missing altogether, and they're less than a minute long - in the case of Megas XLR, barely more than 30 seconds (similarly, the powerpuff girls and other such short-episode Cartoon Network things)

Even my very favourites - works of brilliance like Cowboy Bebop, or nostalgia bombs like Mysterious Cities of Gold and Dogtanian - I have to skip after about episode 2 or 3, and not watch again until the final episode, which gets given the full reverence. They're just too long, and in some cases, as I live in an apartment block without very good soundproofing, may lead to my neighbours either getting annoyed and/or thinking I'm a lunatic (they may be right, but I don't want them THINKING that). Just think about how much time you're going to end up watching that same repetitive sequence over the course of a 26 or 39 episode series (heck, the 13-ep Eden Of The East was bad enough, I skipped it about half the time). The 90-second ones aren't SO bad, you're only going to blow about 45 minutes all-in, but some of the examples given here are THREE OR FOUR MINUTES LONG. Good God! You shouldn't spend as much time over a whole season's run watching the intro/outro as would be taken up by a full episode (or two, or three). That's just insane.

(In some cases, the intro themes were even released as singles (Nadia of Blue Water, The Raccoons)... and the longer ones didn't even need to be extended). If it's being shown on TV once a week, that's not so bad... two or three a night when ploughing through a show on disc, it's just too much, no matter how good it is.

The Evangelion outros get a free pass though, simply because of how often they changed the music...

Only one that comes to mind is the Trailer Park Boys opening...

There's just something so beautifully nostalgic about the whole thing... like a memory of a childhood long past...<.<

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here