10.1% (15)
10.1% (15)
Other
11.4% (17)
11.4% (17)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Where Should I Go to Study Abroad

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Come to the Netherlands. we've got pretty good universities and legal pot :D I've heard the language is a pain to learn, but everyone here speaks english anyway (with horrible accents, granted, but not so bad as to be totally unintelligible). So yeah... come here. good times.

Come to Belgium! you will probably end up drinking more than you want!

Cazza:

Vault101:

triggrhappy94:
snip.

you should come to Australia...and more specifcially Perth! we got like....a belltower'n shit

There is a good pro for going to Perth. UWA is in the worlds top 100 universities. It's the only one in Australia to make that list I believe. Many overseas students want to get in. Downside is it's competitive.

Germany is nice. BUT this one is huge. You need to take a German test as proof you can speak the language.

As you know Spanish you might as well use it and go to Spain.

About UWA, you've got that a bit wrong. It's the only university in Western Australia to make the list. Some of the uni's in the eastern states rank higher.

That said it's still a great uni and I would highly recommend that it should be seriously considered if you're thinking of studying in WA. But that's just my honest, totally non-biased and not for sale opinion.

*kicks text books that bare a suspicious resemblances to UWA's under rug*

Fatboy_41:

You've also got the West Coast Eagles and the Cockburn Dockers. Or, the Cock Docs. Both are reasons to avoid Western Australia.

If you're coming to Oz, come to Melbourne. Greatest city in the country. Great place to base yourself and explore from here in any free time that you have.

If you choose anywhere apart from Australia, choose Ireland.

Cockburn dockers???

pretty sure its Fremantle..unless they moved

RhombusHatesYou:

SpAc3man:
None of those mutants the Australians get.

Bullshit, I've seen bogans in New Zealand. :P

We keep them segregated in west Auckland and Hamilton.

Katatori-kun:

Snip

I totally agree.

I am bilingual in Japanese nad English and spent my life growing up in both Japan and Australia but being able to speak Japanese doesnt really get you too far. Being able to speak English as a Japanese is what is giving me a competitive edge, not the other way around.

I think Mandarin would be cool to study.
Although China seems to be having problems here and there, but overall, i dont think many industries will be looking to China to manufacture things etc and being able to communicate in Mandarin would be useful.

My friend speaks Arabic and landed a job in the oil industry.
That seems to be a good business to be in because there is a lot of money there.

I voted Germany simply because my business is fairly deeply connected with Germany right now.
Also their culture and work ethics/ philosophy is something I admire as a consumer.

aba1:
Also if you want a really different culture don't bother with Canada since the US and Canada share nearly the same culture. Some other Canadians will disagree with me but really at the end of the say we all know it is true sure we may have some different values but things are not that different.

No no, that's pretty much true - in turn of cultural influences we have much the same stuff, we just don't have Republicans, guns, and aren't hyper-patriots - and if you're going to University, that's particularly true in the good options of either Toronto or Vancouver. That said, for Montreal, not so much. But obviously not as much as a lot of the other options.

Go to Germany. You won't regret it.

Australia, if Germany falls through.

Trust me.

Dont come to australia we dont want ya mate I am kidding but be wary of the rampant low shirts and girls wearing very lil clothing and guys to also if you see a bogan do not make eye contact do not make eye contact

Germany! I'm assuming you're from the states and trust me you will love it. It's got the prices of the States paired with much better food. The system there (schooling, housing, any bureaucratic stuff) works great and is very friendly toward foreigners, and the people are all very welcoming and friendly. Go to a bigger city like Berlin, Hamburg or Munich if you want, but don't be afraid of "smaller" places like Leipzig, Hannover, Düsseldorf, Köln and Frankfurt.

As a foreigner who studied there for 3 years and is going back to study there after the summer, you will not regret it.

Seriously...Germany...PM me if you want more info or convincing:D

Angie7F:

Katatori-kun:

Snip

I totally agree.

I am bilingual in Japanese nad English and spent my life growing up in both Japan and Australia but being able to speak Japanese doesnt really get you too far. Being able to speak English as a Japanese is what is giving me a competitive edge, not the other way around.

Yup!

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Japan. Living in Japan changed my life and put me on a course that has made me a better, stronger person. But I can't say that that change was due to Japan being Japan, or that any other country wouldn't result in the same change.

If the OP is getting some kind of scholarship to pay for their study abroad, then they should go wherever they want. But if they have to pay for themselves, they need to go where they get the most bang for their buck.

triggrhappy94:
(there was also a brochure on Mexico, but I'd rather not die)

Do people really believe this places are still complete hell holes?

Anyway, I would personally pick Canada but since you're from the US that's probably too close to home.
Most places in Europe are all interesting their own ways, especially the likes of Scandinavia, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, etc.
I'm a bit bored of the UK so I don't really know how someone else would find it.
I might be a bit biased towards France too, but honestly, French people can be hard work, especially if you're not proficient in the language (and it is one of the harder romance languages to learn). A gorgeous country though.
German is also tricky but the population may be more forgiving and it is a pretty gorgeous country, in the countryside at least. The cities seem boring.
The UK may be too similar to the US if you're really looking for somewhere completely separate from home; the culture here is roughly a mix of European and American and US culture is extremely influential here.
No idea about Australia.

Not sure which I'd go for honestly. It's really down to individual preferences.

triggrhappy94:
I'm just curious about what people have to say.
I recently started looking into going to Japan, but the requirements (most the language one) are pretty steep and no local school offers college-level Japanese. So, I also grabbed a ton of literature on other countries I could go to if I can't go to Japan.

My mom's trying to talk me into England or France, so she could "visit" but really just go on vacation.
My Spanish is decent so Spain seems interesting (there was also a brochure on Mexico, but I'd rather not die)
Germany's my runner-up after Japan, because it does seem the most different from the US.
I like to imagine being asked how things are, while I'm in Australia and just responding: "It's really hot and spiders!"
Then something similar with Canada, but it being cold and with mooses.

There was literature on a lot more place, like China, Tiawan, South Korea, and Isreal.

And if it helps, I'm an Econ major looking for a complete change as far away from home as possible.
I should also add that I have at least two years before I can qualify, so I have time to meet language requirements.

Before you seriously consider Japan ask yourself why it is you want to go there. If it's because of the whole anime/gaming thing then don't bother, it'd be a waste of time. If it's for the culture, the different lifestyle, the new horizons, the job opportunities and whatever, then go right ahead if that's what you want to do :). Have a look at this article actually, written by a guy who comes from the USA (I believe) but has been working and living in Japan for a good while now:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20118_5-things-nobody-tells-you-about-living-in-japan.html

Otherwise, I should really recommend the UK, but that's because being British myself I am naturally biased. Really, it's up to you - do some research on each country, what it's really like living, studying and working in each, then when you have a full idea decide which one you'd prefer to go to. Whatever happens, good luck, and I hope you manage to find somewhere awesome to go :D

SpAc3man:

RhombusHatesYou:

SpAc3man:
None of those mutants the Australians get.

Bullshit, I've seen bogans in New Zealand. :P

We keep them segregated in west Auckland and Hamilton.

That doesn't explain Porirua... but does anything explain Porirua?

Come to Scotland and more specifically Edinburgh, we have lots of unis to choose from and it's one of the best cities in the world. Plus no need to learn a new language then also foreign students are fairly common here so it's a good place to study.

Unless you're going to study to become a cop DON'T come to Finland
Our educational system is very good but for spare time? yeah, rather not try that unless you want to become an alcoholic...

I'd go to England for the Snooker and Football!!!
Germany is nice many of my friends say so why not? Bundesliga is also good football :)

But yeah, I'd want to go to Japan too, not study but just go there for a few weeks...
So either England or Germany since those have the best Football :P

If you go for the weather then choose Spain :D

AnarchistFish:

triggrhappy94:

They are having a huge problem with the cartels now, and corrupt police harrass white people all the time.
I did some travelling in Central America last summer and everyone, including our guide in El Salvador, told us to stay away from Mexico.

Trivun:
Snip

Yeah I think I've seen that article before. I'll look at it again.

I want to thank everyone who's posted thus far and anyone who posts this. All the posts have been either thought-provocking or funny or both. And I'm reconsidering some of my previous decissions.

Vault101:
Snip

Vault, you should just come here. We have a clock tower, great rivers, and world class vineyards. You're not allowed to drink however, unless you're 21. Also the most dangerous animal here are the deer. Not to mention a poorly funded educational system.

lechat:
i vote china
if you can manage to speak english, spanish and chinese you could get a job basically anywhere

Getting a degree in economy + speaking Chinese + knowing some about the culture there = superpowers.

It's hard to manage, but it gives you a massive advantage when it comes to applying for jobs.

Vault101:

Fatboy_41:

You've also got the West Coast Eagles and the Cockburn Dockers. Or, the Cock Docs. Both are reasons to avoid Western Australia.

If you're coming to Oz, come to Melbourne. Greatest city in the country. Great place to base yourself and explore from here in any free time that you have.

If you choose anywhere apart from Australia, choose Ireland.

Cockburn dockers???

pretty sure its Fremantle..unless they moved

They have moved. They're still called the Fremantle Dockers, but they're based in Cockburn now (pronounced Co-Burn, but Cockburn is too funny to look past)

triggrhappy94:

AnarchistFish:

triggrhappy94:

They are having a huge problem with the cartels now, and corrupt police harrass white people all the time.
I did some travelling in Central America last summer and everyone, including our guide in El Salvador, told us to stay away from Mexico.

Not everywhere in Mexico is infested with the cartels. Sure, if you go up into the northern desert and Chihuahua you're asking for trouble but there's a strong tourism industry in many other areas.

Shock and Awe:
Personally Germany would probably be your best bet as an English Speaker since German is pretty close to English. That and Germany is a pretty interesting country in general.

German is only really close to English in it's history in that they're both West Germanic languages.

If you can't speak German then no amount of knowledge of the English language is going to help you understand someone speaking in that language.

triggrhappy94:

AnarchistFish:

triggrhappy94:

Also, El Salvador has the 2nd highest homicide rate in the world. Over 3.5 times as high as Mexico's

I voted 'other' for the U.K. - since that includes but is not limited to England. Having lived in both England and Wales I'd recommend Edinburgh. I've only visited Edinburgh once for the Beltane fire festival but it left an impression.

Eleuthera:

Supertegwyn:

EDIT: God damnit I got ninja'd.

Which is in itself quite an accomplishment since there were nearly three hours between the ninja and yourself...

OT: In case you would consider the Netherlands as an option, all Masters degrees are (supposed to be) taught in English here (in practice this isn't always the case, so try to check before signing up). On the other hand if you want to learn a new language stay away, at the first sign of non-perfect Dutch most people will switch to English immediately giving you no chance to learn out language.

I'm the kind of person who will read all posts from the top to the bottom, and then jump on any faults I see without continuing further. Therefore the moment I saw him say that, I quoted him. I then resumed my reading, and noticed that someone else had already corrected him.

trollnystan:
I'm going to say come to Sweden! Because I'd be unpatriotic if I didn't =P

Although our universities aren't too shabby - haven't gone myself so can't really give a educated (ha!) opinion. And English is like a second language here, haha. I do believe a lot of courses are even given in English, and/or have a lot of English text books.

Going to agree and elaborate on this. Now, I haven't personally gone and gotten a higher education (multiple reasons, mostly having failed my upper secondary too hard because of multiple reasons (mostly because of the retarded system, but don't worry about that, the system for the universities is much better)) but I know several who have recently gone to, or are currently getting an education at some university here in Sweden. (Also, patriots unite! You're not from Skåne, are you? <.<)

JLML:
Going to agree and elaborate on this. Now, I haven't personally gone and gotten a higher education (multiple reasons, mostly having failed my upper secondary too hard because of multiple reasons (mostly because of the retarded system, but don't worry about that, the system for the universities is much better)) but I know several who have recently gone to, or are currently getting an education at some university here in Sweden. (Also, patriots unite! You're not from Skåne, are you? <.<)

Skåning? ME?? I'm upplänning thank you very much! ;P

Good on ye for explaining more thoroughly. I know very little about university despite being born and raised in a university town. -_-;

Personally, I'd vote Germany. If nothing else, the language is relatively easy to learn all told. After a lifetime of speaking english, the fact that there exists a language with relatively solid rules of syntax and grammar is refreshing. And once I found that the extremely long words German is so fond of is often really just a collection of smaller words for the most part, most of the intimidation factor went away.

Beyond that, it's location gives ready access via rail to a number of places you might also want to go and also sports some of the most fascinating history in Europe.

trollnystan:
Snip

Upplänning is. . . tolerable. For now. /Göteborgsrivalitet

And with university town I'm guessing you're referring to Uppsala? That's not "just" a university town. It's one of the oldest university towns in the world! Shame on you. . . *shakes head*

Nah, just joking. ^_^

PS: Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread, won't happen again. . . I hope.

ALSO!!! Captcha says "not in Kansas" so whatever happens, don't study in Kansas!

I'd go with Australia, Melbourne specifically.[1] From what I understand most, if not all, degrees received here are recognised worldwide. I'm not sure if its the same with other countries, but based on that (and the fact you're a native English speaker), I think Australia's best.
Plus, I could find you and stalk you and we'd have fun times. Well, fun for me.
(Anybody, feel free to correct me on anything I said in this post.)

If I'm wrong about anything here or you don't like stalkers, Germany. It's not THAT hard of a language to learn, sounds like a beautiful place and most people would speak some English anyway. Just make the first words you say to someone "Sprechen Sie Englisch" until you get comfortable.

[1] Biased patriotism alert. AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OI OI OI!

china for future networking connections, as everyone has probably told you china has the greates economic prospects, and a lot of it is about personal relationships. brazil is becoming a hot bed for industrial expansion especially the northern states.

and finally spain, it will hone your spanish and get you to see economic decline first hand, as it tears a country to pieces both financially and culturally... then again that might not be too different from the u.s. assuming you are an american (just kidding)

India! Come to India! Our food's awesome and we have some of the nicest people on the planet! :-)

Forget England, Australia or Germany should be your choice.

Australia is amazing! We have the best looking women, the best beer and a pretty good healthcare system. Not to mention great universities.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked