have you ever changed your opinion?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I do when I realize I'm wrong all the time. That doesn't mean I don't annoy people when I know their wrong and won't change my opinion to their wrong one making every one think I'm stubborn as a rock. For some reason they still think I'm stubborn every time they find out I was in fact right and never acknowledge I'm flexible when I admit to a mistake easily.

Usually people by me DVDs for christmas and I'm like 'seriously? I only wanted money' (inside of course) and then watched them and been blown away. This has happened for such great things such as Wayne's World, Black Books and Tropic Thunder.
Also I thought Skyrim and Minecraft both looked dreadful until I was convinced into purchasing them and now I think they're both utterly amazing.

I changed my views on gun control (slightly)... I used to be for full gun control... but over the last 6 months or so I changed my feelings on it. I think there needs to be VERY stringent background checks and stronger/harsher punishments for gun violence, but i think people have the right to have a gun.

Yes. I wasn't always an atheist. ;)

Yes. It seems difficult, but saying "I was wrong" is one of the most remarkably easy things you can do. People see you with a new kind of respect and are more willing to listen to your opinions.

All the time. But it's usually pretty early in the convo, so I'm not sure it counts. I'll be like, I don't like X, and they'll be like: but Y does this and X is so much better. Then I'll be like, Source? And then I'll be like. Alright. Once I've well and truly started arguing and defending my opinion, I don't often change my mind and admit I was wrong, but it's been known to happen.

lechat:
apparently we are hard wired to defend our opinions even if we are overwhelmingly convinced we are wrong so easy question:
have you ever been in the middle of a debate and suddenly realized you were wrong and admitted so to the other person?

All the time lol.

What I love about debates (along if they're civil to begin with) is that debates help me think outside the box. Not only do I learn how people think, but also they teach me things I wasn't sure of. Of course I will debate using facts along with opinions backed up by facts, but I can still be wrong and agree with my debater. There's also the alternative that we both can understand that nether of us are wrong, but not one of us was 'more' correct. Interesting stuff depending on what the topic is.

Though I haven't given this a try in religion or politics. Despite that I am a Christian who doesn't judge .. people get very touchy in those categories therefore I would avoid those topics at all times.

Of course I have, I'm not infalible, if someone agrues a case well enough I'm more than willing to change my mind on issues.

My opinions are developing constantly as i learn more about things i make better decisions and opinions about stuff, constantly.

lechat:
apparently we are hard wired to defend our opinions even if we are overwhelmingly convinced we are wrong so easy question:
have you ever been in the middle of a debate and suddenly realized you were wrong and admitted so to the other person?

Hard wired to defend our opinions? Sounds like Evolutionary Psychology to me... which has a lot of problems as a epidemiological sound science. (Shhhh... it's a pseudo science!)

In answer to your question... in life I have changed my opinion many times on many different subjects. Tend to think in language, language tends to be linear, life the universe and everything is a differential, conclusion... most words do not even come close to expressing things as they actually are... most error seems to come from a malformed assumption which leads the person to an incomplete or incoherent conclusion... we are all guilty of it by degrees but no one has total information. So live and let live.

Yes, I try to take in as much information as possible when forming an opinion, so I will take the information shared in a debate to heart when considering my opinion, particularly if I feel that the information is not too clouded with bias and is accurate. I also have a way of very rarely taking a polarizing stance though, so most of the time, I will reason with both sides of a debate

I have, yes. My opinions were changed by facts and experience, and not by people's use of rhetoric tools, however. Examples? Huh, I can't put my finger on any right now, but usually it's in form of my position getting a bit more moderate.

Yes, if reasonable arguments are presented to me in favour of the opposing opinion and they weigh more heavily than my arguments for my opinion, I may change my initial viewpoint. I'm a rational person and as such, I rationalise often. I defend my opinion, but if I'm proven wrong(in cases where opinions are not a matter of taste, but actual right/wrong arguments based on facts), I will be open to the other viewpoint.

Constantly. I guess a sort of 'life changer' opinion switch for me would've been the window of time where I stopped taking everything my Catholic school teachers said about the faith for absolute fact; when I was 13 and started thinking for myself instead of what people told me I should think.

This is not intended to start a religious flame war. I am still a practicing Catholic and fairly proud of it, but this is pretty much the only huge opinion shift I've encountered in my life so far.

I'll change my opinion if someone presents a strong argument against it.

Anyone who answers no has not yet matured into adulthood.

Yes, I'm starting to get just as pissed off at liberals as I am at conservatives. One of them does an awful lot of mucking about in my personal life and says it's a good idea, and the other one does an awful lot of mucking about in my personal life but claims it doesn't support it.

Yes, it happens. Recently to.

I've been firmly against the new DmC game, for reason ranging from the FPS to the devs being assholes to the fans, to the Nephilim thing.

The I actually sat down and played it, getting the full context for all the changes, cause if I was gonna stay on about how it's an 'insult o the series' I should at least know what I'm talking about right?

Funny thing happened, I ended up enjoying the game, and kinda liking the new spin on Dante, as well as a lot of other things. The game is flawed to be sure, but I don't dislike it like I thought I would.

Ninja Theory can still go fuck them selves though :p

No one alive has opinions that are based purely on first impressions. I have never met anyone that stubborn.

I'm starting regret my post called "Devil May Cry Fans are the worst fans." Even though the fan that put that "protest" is an idiot, along with the other 66 people who signed it, I've been starting to realize that I shouldn't say fans are "the worst fans ever" because a few of them are acting like annoying loud mouths. Other, things I've changed my opinion on:

Dead Space 3's Micro transactions: I don't think it's THAT bad, since it's there for people who don't have enough time to play, and it's just optional.
E.A: Don't like a lot of their business decisions nor am I fan of the company, but I think people have gotten a bit obsessed with the hatred of them or just blow it out of proportion.
Call of Duty: I use use to Hate the series, but once I got out of High School, I don't know, I just don't hate it.

If I do, I usually don't respond and let the words they're saying sink in, and think about it before considering it as correct. That sounded incredibly nerdy and cynical, so here:

lechat:

That's the beauty of playing Devil's Advocate; you can tell if an opinion is flat out wrong in cases.

As for the question, it's pretty much standard procedure whenever someone is clearly talking out of their ass. I counter their arguments and show how much bullshit they've been spouting, even if what I'm defending is something I hate with my being. :-P

As a man who believes that adaptation and the ability to see the logic of multiple viewpoints, I have taken multiple stands, and can see the logic behind each one.
As I do not have all the full information behind each side, however, I do not argue for or against them--as I do not seek to lose any argument. Thus, I keep my opinions to myself.

Yes indirectly through an online argument.

Basically I saw a thread about a certain subject that had been going on for a while. I wanted but first I felt obligated to read what had been written so far. I saw some guy arguing my same position and getting debunked (for lack of a better word) by someone else. Every point I would've brought had been countered and so I switched positions without making a single post.

Strangely though when I am in an argument online I feel more inclined to defend my position even if they made me think it's flimsy (especially if they've been dicks about it). I guess it's easier to change opinions when you don't have to admit you're wrong.

And on that note I should probably stop with these arguments anyway.

Edit: Oh and Penn and Teller: Bullshit has made me change positions but I don't have to admit to them that I've changed my mind.

Yep, and you can blame college for that.

You get to meet a lot of great people with a lot of strong opinions and you quickly realize how some or your own views or opinions can be overturned.

Yes, I've changed my opinion on a few things. I've also been the primary influence on a number of people's change of opinion on religion of all things. It always warms my heart when I hear a guy I debated in past years gives up on religion, and blames (/thanks) me for their loss of faith.

Yes. It just takes time and effort.

I changed my position from Christian to Atheist.
I changed my position from anti-gay to pro-gay.
I changed my position from eating meat to not eating meat.
I changed my position from being strongly anti-American, to realising that position was stupid.
I was anti alcohol and drugs, and now I am pro.

It just takes effort and a willingness to address where you may be incorrect. And it's hard. A lot of these positions are deeply cherished, and we're not good at rationally weighing two sides when we already ascribe to one side. It's not easy, because confirmation bias makes it easier to dismiss counter arguments than to weigh them fairly. And most of us are aware enough of this to suffer from cognitive dissonance, and it takes a lot of effort to get around that.

I don't remember so, it's rare, I'm almost always right.

Of course . But there are things that i won't change my opinion about.

God. The benefits of possibly going to heaven outweights the benefits of being an atheist .

Homosexuals . I have nothing against homosexuals , live and let live , but they make me uncomfortable , so i won't befriend one anytime soon .

People are not worth trusting . This is self explanatory . I don't trust people and they don't deserve my trust . Everybody lies and everyone does everything for a selfish reason whether they know it or not.

Yeah, sure. Reluctantly, I think most times but sure.

I've grown fond of saying the phrase "I/I'll concede" whenever that happens. I'll concede your point. I'll concede I misunderstood. And yadda yadda.

Yes, I took Philosophy as an A Level so it happened quite a lot.

This kind of thinking is why I could never support a sports team. I'd merely constantly assume the one that last won the championship was the best.

subtelly yes, sometimes people convince me that something isn't as great, or terrible, I thought it was. Never anything huge though generally nuances, unless I'm presented with new facts I wasn't previously aware off. Although that last one is pretty much the reason I try to avoid getting to vocal about things I don't know much about. You don't have to take back what you don't say out loud.

krazykidd:
God. The benefits of possibly going to heaven outweights the benefits of being an atheist .

I think I can well argue against this kind of Pascal's Wager-esque thinking. But I will avoid it out fo respect because I may not want to sidetrack the thread into possible religion-bashing-sounding arguments, even though I don't think it would need any bashing, and you're really adamant.

I knwo it sounds like I'm going "I could totally win this". I'm not really trying to claim credit for doing nothing, but I really felt the urge to say something about that. It's like having a really powerful itch. I at least felt like acknowledging of the off chance you felt like "What the hell. I'll hear you out".

Edit: I only have a problem if Pascal's Wager is the sole argument. If you were just trying sum up a quick reason that only sounded like Pascal's wager, I have no problem.

Of course, anyone who claims that they have never changed their opinion on anything is lying.

Curious, was this inspired by a certain Cyberpunk 2077 thread?

And a few times. Generally I like to stick with my argument. Not to say I don't disagree with other opinions, or that my view is more or less valid than there. But I generally stick to my guns on my own opinion unless I can clearly see that my view was a load of hogwash.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here