have you ever changed your opinion?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Rarely, but it happens on occasion. Not often from exchanging views with other people, but rather from a combination of observation and the passage of time. It took me a good many years to more or less cement my views of religion, humor and humanity while my views on contemporary politics constantly change (supporting an idea, but knowing that individual most likely won't do as promised or recognizing that the idea has become skewed).

When I speak to others on matters of opinions and ways of thinking, I don't view myself or my "opponent" as right or wrong. Just different conclusions reached from different circumstances and perspectives. Others may view it differently, like some pseudo-competition. I try damn hard to understand where each person is coming from and to learn from them if possible, but some seem to have an erection for eristic exchanges where the end result leads to nothing and the arguments more or less full of the "my way of thinking is right, you're way of thinking is wrong" sentiment.

In cases where actual evidence (numbers, quotations) can be used, then yes. Right/wrong exists and opinions can easily be changed. Otherwise, you're likely just going to be shooting at a strawman or Aunt Sally. I often fear that little yellow mail symbol because it seems an inevitability and I despise repeating myself.

Never really lost a debate, as I never go into a debate without the upper hand in terms of knowledge. I have learned new info that has made me question and even change my positions in the past, but generally I don't let others influence me. I make sure to try and research arguments on a subject, as nothing would frighten me more than having my opinion be the result of some sort of propaganda or misinformation.

All the time. Usually when they inform me of something I didn't know before hand.

Yup, new information tends to do that to you

If you are incapable of having an opinion change or realize you were mistaken about something then you are a very ignorant, pathetic, human being and it is people like you that cause many of the worlds problems. That is not to say that strong opinions are bad, or that it should not take considerable evaluation and information to change opinions that are central to your beliefs and worldview. It means that if you are so inflexible that you can never be swayed under any circumstance, it is not healthy.

yes quite often i have taken the wrong position and have been convinced with sufficient evidence and good reasoning by the other party and i am not afraid to admit i am wrong
i am also willing to admit that i also have entrenched opinions that when attacked on will cause me to dismiss the opponent as a moron its a bad habit and one i try to change but in the heat of the argument it is hard to tell when i am simply dismissing or if the other person is actually a moron people being morons is unfortunately far too common

Yeah- first he called me an idiot, and then he questioned my sexual orientation, and then he said some things about my parents, and my weight, and my employment, he explained some universal truths about everyone who likes the music I like, and then when he went off about my choice of hair products I really started to see the light- though my therapist says that might be something called "Stockholm Syndrome", but, whatever...

More seriously- yes. But it takes the right attitude and the right information to really make me change my mind. If you don't have any respect for how I got here- wrong conclusion or not- why should I be concerned with your opinion of where I go from there? How many opinions are there where the need to be right is so important that it's worth the risk of being wrong-headed about it?

I can be very hard to persuade, I'll admit.
It's not impossible.

I am much better than I used to be. I still get told how stubborn I once was - when I was a toddler. You may be thinking "that's normal". Trust me, I seemed to be a special case. Very stubborn, very easily angered and never felt like I was wrong. I could keep up whatever it was for years just to spite others, even to my own discomfort.

Now I'm still stubborn (I married a stubborn woman and we have a stubborn child, so its okay). Maybe a little less stubborn though. Or maybe I just pick my moments more, I don't know.I've been told by some friends that they have never actually seen me angry. I have a very long fuse. The problem with that is when it does burn down, get out of town. And as for swaying my opinion, it takes a VERY convincing argument. You have to prove whatever it is that you are presenting to me.

It is possible though.

I have changed my opinion on various topics many times. I only change my opinions on said subject if I find myself to be misinformed or did not have all the facts. I try to keep a open mind on things, even though I can be stubborn on certain subjects. If there is hard confirmed facts/evidence that shows my opinion or belief on something is false, then I want to know so I don't feel like a complete moron.

A big change I have had in opinions for this last decade has been humanity and our politics.... Always fun when thinking about that stuff in a realistic/pessimistic view...

Kaymish:
yes quite often i have taken the wrong position and have been convinced with sufficient evidence and good reasoning by the other party and i am not afraid to admit i am wrong
i am also willing to admit that i also have entrenched opinions that when attacked on will cause me to dismiss the opponent as a moron its a bad habit and one i try to change but in the heat of the argument it is hard to tell when i am simply dismissing or if the other person is actually a moron people being morons is unfortunately far too common

I feel the same way as you. I think it's good that we can at least admit and realize that our stance or opinion maybe wrong instead of blindly waving our hands around acting like a child all the time.

Honestly, anyone who says no needs to learn to open their eyes. Nobody's right all the time, and even if you base your opinion on solid facts or evidence, it's always possible for new viewpoints and evidence to come into play which you previously didn't know of, or you find something you believed to be true is actually false and that wrecks your argument. Everyone's wrong sometimes. It just can be hard to accept that.

Yes. Recently my opinion on murderers changed when I read Jake Evans confession and listened to the 25 minute 911 call.

I used to have an opinion closer to America's view on how to deal with murderers, pointless lifelong revenge, and then after that it changed to be closer to my own countries views; rehabilitation. Locking a 17 year old up, who clearly instantly regretted and was horrified by what they did, and who hates themselves more than anyone ever could, until the day they die is a great way to get revenge, but it doesn't really solve anything. I now agree more with the life sentences Britain and other countries hand out than I do with the US version.

Anyway the point is it usually takes something dramatic, or new information, but even my opinion will change on things I never thought possible.

Oh yes, I do change my opinions quite often. However, I do NOT allow others to change them for me. I consider their opinions and adopt ones that I like. Also, if they can outsmart me and prove me wrong, I generally like them more. However, if I prove them wrong but they don't change their opinion, they are WORSE THAN SHIT.

Absolutely, and anyone who says they have never changed their opinion is either a liar or clinically insane. What kind of nut job would carry on arguing when they came up against evidence that they were wrong?

Always looking to do so, but I rarely do. Petty things change all the time, but I almost never change perspective on important stuff. When arguing with someone I always pause myself and ask them "Why?" because I want to understand them, and maybe complement my own way of thought with theirs. Sadly, they almost always take it as a challenge rather than a question.

Best of the 3:
Curious, was this inspired by a certain Cyberpunk 2077 thread?

And a few times. Generally I like to stick with my argument. Not to say I don't disagree with other opinions, or that my view is more or less valid than there. But I generally stick to my guns on my own opinion unless I can clearly see that my view was a load of hogwash.

actually it was inspired by a cracked.com article i read. i can't find the link but it was a typical cracked title like "why you brain is fucked and doesn't do what you want" or something.
the article went on to say that even when presented with overwhelming proof a person is unlikely to admit that they are wrong and accept the other persons point of view instead opting for flat out denial or the typical rage quitting storm off that i have seen all too many times

Quite often.
I find that I can change my opinion if I research and find out that I was wrong.
If someone is just trying to convince me when we are talking, I would probably not change my mind on the spot, but will definitely think about it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked