How strict were your parents on what you could watch when you were growing up?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Very, I couldn't watch or play anything remotely violent. This means no cartoons, not even Lego Racers because you could shoot cannonballs.

That said, the lack of an outlet led me to become very violent towards others and the constant ridicule of my raising didn't help.

I remember getting chased out of the living room when I tried to watch X-Files. Of course, I was like 6, and it was near midnight I think.
Couldn't play Teen rated games until I was a teen. Generally wasn't allowed to play fps's, as my dad had served in the army, and he didn't want it in the house. My brother and I could talk and negotiate though to get some leeway, if the game wasn't too over the top.
Weren't allowed to watch Simpsons or Ren 'n Stimpy. Most other cartoons were fair game, such as Angry Beavers. (Although to be honest, our tv provider didn't get us Cartoon Network, so I have no idea how a lot of those shows would have flown).
Once we were teens, it was pretty free reign. We had to put up a good discussion to do R rated movies and M rated games, but generally, if we were mature, we could convince them. Grand Theft Auto was never allowed.

I think it was pretty fair. Most fps's struck me as boring (although my brother enjoyed them).

My parents never were strict about what i watched it was mostly thru them that i saw any i guess child inappropriate movies like silence of the lambs, alien, Child's Play they just made sure i knew that it wasn't real same thing with video games i remember when i was playing Grand theft auto 3 she saw me playing and ask if i knew that killing people for no reason was wrong and i said yes and walked away

I was watching The Blues Brothers when I was in preschool. I was also raised on Tim Burton era Batman, with all its attempted mass-infantcide and fetish costumes. South Park has always been welcome in my house.

Not strict at all, i was allowed to watch or play anything i wanted really, only thing they were strict on was going out and about the town with friends x) they figured me being outside possibly causing trouble was far worse than me driving around in gran theft auto running over people.

I remember watching south park with my grandad and both of us laughing our asses off at it, i found the puerile humor immensely funny, while he enjoyed the social satire which at the time i was to young to understand.

They seemed to appreciate the fact at 13 i could differentiate between reality and fiction well enough.

I turned out fine!, just ignore the dead hookers and satanic statues i worship in my flat.

My father was really strict on what i could watch/listen/play. Luckily however my grand parents weren't so strict so most of my watching/lostening/gaming was doneat their house.

The only thing my parents banned me from watching was scary movies.
Aliens was top of the list because I wont be able to go to bed after watching it.
Nudity and crass language etc was not a problem.
They told me it was inappropriate, but let me watch so that I can identify it when i come across it in real life.

When I was younger, my parents pretty much only let me watch PBS and by and large I could watch as much of it as I wanted. I remember Mr. Roger's Neighborhood and Sesame Street and Reading Rainbow very well. I also loved 3-2-1 Contact! and Square One when I got a little older. I was allowed 2 hours of Saturday morning cartoons and 1 hour at my grandparent's house (they had cable). I remember watching Pinwheel and The Adventures of David the Gnome with my grandfather vividly. The rest of the time, they would either turn the TV off and I would play inside, or they would throw me out and make me play outside. As I got older they pretty much followed the rating system. Now that I'm have gone back and watched most of the "edgier" shows that I missed a youngster; I would have missed a lot of the humor if I had watched them back then.

My parents saw nothing unusual in me counting the number of times the word "fuck" was uttered in the south park movie. I was 12 when I did this. Pretty safe to say they were pretty damn apathetic about what I watched.

Captcha: folsom prison

I doubt how that's relevant, Mr. Cash.

BoredAussieGamer:
My parents saw nothing unusual in me counting the number of times the word "fuck" was uttered in the south park movie. I was 12 when I did this. Pretty safe to say they were pretty damn apathetic about what I watched.

Captcha: folsom prison

I doubt how that's relevant, Mr. Cash.

Well... don't leave us in suspense, how many times DO they say the word "fuck" in the South Park movie? I'm actually curious now.

Leemaster777:

BoredAussieGamer:
My parents saw nothing unusual in me counting the number of times the word "fuck" was uttered in the south park movie. I was 12 when I did this. -Snipped

Well... don't leave us in suspense, how many times DO they say the word "fuck" in the South Park movie? I'm actually curious now.

I lost my official tally sheet a while ago, but from what I can remember it was between 130 and 140 times.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked