The Best and Worst of Getting Old.

Most people will quickly answer death, but that aside, what in your opinion is the worst thing about getting old?
I'd have to say losing your memory, I think losing the ability to remember certain things would be the worst next to probably losing control of your bowel functions. The best....Senior discounts? Retirement? I don't know, what do you think?

Not being able to take care of yourself and ending up in a nursing home. Goddammit, that's going to suck so bad.

The best...? Motorized carts! *VROOM VROOM*

Best - you get a cane, a yard and you're finally justified with yelling at people who piss you off (while all your life you're expected to be polite and stuff). You can finally stop working. You're given place in the bus (ok, at least expected to). You can enlist the help of random strangers just by using your looks (a power previously only open to women. Sorry, ladies). You've got lots of stories to tell. More sleep!

Worst - I'd rather not dwell on this much but health problems, dementia, losing what you were are quite bad.

Call Me Jose:
Most people will quickly answer death, but that aside, what in your opinion is the worst thing about getting old?

I'm the kind of dickface who silently judges people's relative worths based on their skills, abilities etc. So to me, the worst part about getting old is decaying. All you can do is look into the mirror every morning as you decay away until you are demoted to being a husk in a person either alone in your home or in some care facility where you are nothing more than a thing the personnel there have to care of.

Call Me Jose:

The best?

Umm... You might catch some kinda lung disease and die quickly?

Pretty much being fragile physical wise. No longer will I able be to lift heavy things and straining myself over trival things that younger people can perform at ease.
On the bright side, depending where you lived most people will give you a hand when with the straining problems when needed.

Casual Shinji:
Not being able to take care of yourself and ending up in a nursing home. Goddammit, that's going to suck so bad.

The best...? Motorized carts! *VROOM VROOM*

I agree with Shinji on both things, though I really hope I die before I'm that old.

I'd say the worst thing about getting old is hindsight, and realizing what you could have done by now, but haven't. The thought often brings me back to my Blu-ray copy of Groundhog Day, where all I can think about is how a small change daily, repeated over many years, could lead to drastic changes and improvements in a person. That's if you're lucky.

On the plus side, I often think about some very old people I've met and it blows my mind to think that they were alive to see or hear about the first airplane, and then that transitioned into WWII fighters, then jets, then rockets. I mean, what could have possibly gone through their minds? Were people dismissive of stuff back then the way we tend to be about stuff today? Was there someone like Jay Leno back in 1900, mocking this thing called a "horseless carriage"? Did people dismiss the car as a fad? I can imagine what people probably said, something along the lines of "I don't need a horseless carriage, I have a horse, and all I need to give it is some grass and water!"

Previous generations paid a dear price for the advancements we all enjoy today. We're talking everything from doctors thinking they didn't have to wash their hands because they were "gentlemen", or chemical companies using diethylene glycol, the toxic main ingredient used in antifreeze, as a sweetener for legitimate medications. It's just that things have gotten weirder, like the excessive use of plastics and the leeching of chemicals that's acting like synthetic estrogen. One day the world will run out of oil. Fresh drinking water may very well become the commodity that sends nations to war in the future. So no, I don't envy the young, because they're going to have to deal with the problems that we're creating today.

I mostly fear losing myself, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: Also, jumping. I'll hate it when I'm not able to jump anymore :(

The odds are in my favor that I'll get Alzheimer's one day (I think it's genetic), so that's gonna be a major bummer in every way imaginable.

The good part will be way too much free time to pester the rest of my family

Pro: You can do whatever you want

Con: You don't have the time to do whatever you want

Best : losing my memory. Lord knows there's a lot of things and people i'd like to forget . Time to play videogames!
Worst : lost of good looks and sex drive .

Best: Most of the "hard work" is behind you, you have a million stories to tell.

Cons: Now you have to deal with ailing health and falling apart. Basically the stuff that you don't think about while young, the things that you've been largely taking for granted the past 60 years.

I'll finally have a lot of free time and money saved up (already have the latter, but I'll be damned if I see me having the former any time soon)! Too bad I won't have the energy or physique to actually enjoy either :l

Pros: No more work (If you have a good pension) thank fuck for that!
Lots and lots of free time. :)

Cons: health issues are more likely to occur which will SUCK!

Arthritis and fatigue would probably be the worst to me, since I'm a really active person.

Best would be talking shit to people because you're old, so what the fuck are they gonna do?

I was at the gym today and after lifting, I hopped on a treadmill. Then a bunch of female gym members go up to the freeweight area at the front of the gym and start doing some rather provocative looking exercises. I also happen to be a personal trainer at this gym so it's very important for me not to be seen ogling the female clientele. So I avert my gaze and focus on my run. Then an old man comes in and sits on the recumbent bike in front of me and proceeds to stare at them for 20 minutes straight. And not a fuck was given because, "Awwww, he's old people." I feel this phenomenon could qualify as both the best and the worst. But I'm not going to pretend to really know how it feels without experiencing it because I would probably be wrong somehow.

the best is being closer to death, the worst is degenerating mental and physical functions.

The best thing about immortality is that you get senior discounts while still looking young. Some argue though that forever young and immortality are not the same; do not give those folk any thought.

Know I'm going to outlive all the ignorant spiteful fucks who are holding back society

The growing worry that I just might not accomplish anything with my own life.

Princess Trollestia:
The best thing about immortality is that you get senior discounts while still looking young. Some argue though that forever young and immortality are not the same; do not give those folk any thought.

You misspelled immorality twice :P

DVS BSTrD:

Princess Trollestia:

You misspelled immorality twice :P

Another misconception about immortality: Some would argue that you'll eventually become insane and lack any morals. This, with of course exceptions, is simply not true, though you do tend to forget quite a few things. But speech and thinking skills? Unless you stop doing those all together and stare at a wall you shouldn't have a problem.

I could finally be the jaded, patienceless prick that I have always been but no one will think of me as a bellend for it.
Worst? My beloved motorbike will totally be out of the question, I could kill somebody or myself.

The only change that'll happen when I get old that'd be different from the age I'm at now is my physical appearance. I'll still be a bitter fuck, but I'll just be a bitter old fuck. Though the worst thing will probably be people doing shit for you out of "courtesy" because of your age. When I'm 78, I still wanna carry my bags into hotels and take my groceries to my car alone (unless I was somehow physically inhibited). I don't like the idea that just because someone is old that they need special care or more help due to their age. I know plenty of people that are over the hill and are as strong as an ox.

Once I start getting my grey hairs, I will make sure to grow the bushiest grey beard I can! Then walk around town as wizard casting spells at random people!

The worst would be if/when you start to lose your independence. The best is having free time all the time and annoying people by pretending to be deaf. Ironically my grandad used to annoy people by pretending not to be deaf.

The best is that I feel I am getting less desparate or confused about a lot of things, including no longer being depressed.
The worst is that the reason I am less confused is because I know what I can or can not accomplish in life.

For example, when I was younger I felt that I had to dress up and look as pretty as people do in TV.
With age, I realized that TV was ficiton and came to terms with being normal.
The pressure of having to look good is gone, but at the same time, I know that I will forever be average.

Cons:
-Losing hair
-Getting Grey hair
-Losing one' mind
-Getting weaker
-Losing one' sight
-Losing one' appetite
-Sleeping less and less
-Gaining regret for all the things that could and should have been done

Pros:
-Getting more experience and insight
-Most likely earning more money

So more cons than pros in my opinion.

XX Y XY:
I was at the gym today and after lifting, I hopped on a treadmill. Then a bunch of female gym members go up to the freeweight area at the front of the gym and start doing some rather provocative looking exercises. I also happen to be a personal trainer at this gym so it's very important for me not to be seen ogling the female clientele. So I avert my gaze and focus on my run. Then an old man comes in and sits on the recumbent bike in front of me and proceeds to stare at them for 20 minutes straight. And not a fuck was given because, "Awwww, he's old people." I feel this phenomenon could qualify as both the best and the worst. But I'm not going to pretend to really know how it feels without experiencing it because I would probably be wrong somehow.

my grandfather actually nearly got his ass kicked out of a nursing home for lude comments to the nurses. i'm afraid by the time i get to be his age slapping a nurse on the ass and saying /old man voice "if i were 20 years younger" *wink* will get me thrown in jail

I'd say the worst bits are your body slowly crapping out on you, and the best bits are getting to annoy younger people. I'm not sure we'll get it as good as old people do now though, for one, we won't be able to get away with making horrendously racist remarks just to make people feel uncomfortable. Mispronouncing everything is fun and all, but it doesn't make people squirm the same way.

Cons: Sickness-losing memory-physical restricted
Pros:Freedom-relaxation-knowledge

Cons: Becoming completely dependent on others to take care of you

Pros: You have a vast breadth of experience to call upon (assuming you remember it)

TizzytheTormentor:
Once I start getting my grey hairs, I will make sure to grow the bushiest grey beard I can! Then walk around town as wizard casting spells at random people!

I started getting grey hair when I was 9 although thankfully it stopped at just a large streak.

On a personal point about getting older I have a very painful condition that is known to get worse as you age so I have that to look forward too :/

Princess Trollestia:
Another misconception about immortality: Some would argue that you'll eventually become insane and lack any morals. This, with of course exceptions, is simply not true, though you do tend to forget quite a few things. But speech and thinking skills? Unless you stop doing those all together and stare at a wall you shouldn't have a problem.

Well, I don't have morality concerns about immortality myself, but...there is one very deep and scary fear I have about it...What do I do when I get bored? And I don't mean bored as having a "meh" day, but bored as in, I've seen everything, eaten everything, experienced everything and pretty much did everything with and/or to everything, so I'm literally out of new things to do?

Best: I'll be justified in giving people "back in my day" advice.

Worst: Nobody will listen to what the old geezer is saying.

regular medical tests

Retirement will be the best for me.

On the other hand, my skin will get even worse than it already is.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked