Nostalgia Critic's Return: Thoughts?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, today sees the return of the Nostalgia Critic with his review of The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Now, what are your thoughts on it?

Me, I'm glad to see him doing this again, as I enjoy most of his NC reviews (the other reviews he does I tend to find dull), but I do have a few qualms with the... new take I think you could call it.

The new opening sequence is unnecessary, the pure white wall is a little distracting (think it may be due to how it seems overly bright), and dear god, why are those unfunny shlubs from 'Demo Reel' on this? I'm guessing he's trying to justify the (from what I've heard was) $200,000 plunge he did on the failure of Demo Reel.

Other than that, I enjoyed it. You?

I did enjoy it, but it's not nearly as good as some of his past reviews. I remain optimistic but unconvinced that this return was a good idea at this point.

oh he's got a new one out? I'll have to go see when I get a chance

its not bogged down with "skit/backstory" is it?

its good that he's back..shame he had to cancel his passion project, I mean I lost interest in NC because of othr reveiwers I liked better

I enjoyed it a lot. I thought production values were way up and I enjoyed the skits (plus I'm glad the actors haven't just been pushed out the door). There wasn't so much screaming and I hope in general he's not going to feel so limited by the formula and do modern films/not completely negative films/well known films, whatever he feels like. This was funny and felt maybe a touch more grounded. It wouldn't have looked out of place in TV

Vault101:

Thankfully, no. (seriously though, why the hell do the other reviewers think that the viewers care about their horrible fanfictions?)

The only thing I didn't really like was the opening sequence. Don't see why it had to be so long. But I'm definitely happy to see him back.

Vault101:
oh he's got a new one out? I'll have to go see when I get a chance

Nostalgia Critic was never known for his skits, where did you get that idea?

soren7550:

Vault101:

Thankfully, no. (seriously though, why the hell do the other reviewers think that the viewers care about their horrible fanfictions?)

I dunno, one of the best crossovers ever was a live-action fanfic (involving Todd in the Shadows, Obscurus Lupa and the Nostalgia chick, plus many lulz).

I know that's not what you were going for, but it just reminded me.

OT: I kind of gave up on the Nostalgia Critic near the end. Any word if his new stuff is better than his last haul of reviews?

I'm glad they didn't spend any time on the continuity, since I can't be bothered to watch To Boldly Flee.

Good episode. I guess this will open a door to reviews of more recent films?

I am so happy he is back!

The worst thing about Nostalgia Critic has always been sitting through the movies he's reviewing. I couldn't stand how far Timothy Green had it's head up it's ass.

I honestly loved the review. I thought the scenes with the actors from Demo Reel really worked to illustrate his points on the absurdities of certain situations in the film in a funny manner. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen a new one in forever, but I'd say this is his best review in a long time. I like that he is deviating from the formula, as the adherence to that formula is essentially what caused NC to stagnate in the first place.

I did think the background was too white though.

Was that the Quarian chick from Mass Effect 2?

trty00:

since this is his "big comrback" there might be alot of crossover/continuity stuff

soren7550:

Vault101:

its not all bad....one of my absolute favorite ones was the moulin rouge reveiw which was awsome

soren7550:

Vault101:

No idea, but every god damn one of them winds up doing it in the end. It's always an "evil identical twin" story arc as well, so they get to play themselves twice (with the other one "acting" evil). The Game Overthinker (Movie Bob) has been doing that song and dance for the last couple of years now, and as soon as he kills one evil version of himself, another one appears. Knock that shit off!

I enjoyed the review.

Also, in the beginning where he declares February as the "month of love", and that fact that he's not doing cut-off dates, really gives me the impression that at some point this month he's gonna finally review Twilight.

lacktheknack:

soren7550:

Vault101:

I dunno, one of the best crossovers ever was a live-action fanfic (involving Todd in the Shadows, Obscurus Lupa and the Nostalgia chick, plus many lulz).

OT: I kind of gave up on the Nostalgia Critic near the end. Any word if his new stuff is better than his last haul of reviews?

I think the love triangle thing was more of a running joke than their lame fanfiction.

Soviet Heavy:

Yup!

Vault101:

trty00:

since this is his "big comrback" there might be alot of crossover/continuity stuff

soren7550:

Vault101:

its not all bad....one of my absolute favorite ones was the moulin rouge reveiw which was awsome

That was just a review featuring some other reviewers. The lame fanfiction crap is stuff like the Dark Nella Saga, or whatever the hell it is Linkara keeps going on about him having a massive spaceship and how he's magical.

soren7550:

lacktheknack:

soren7550:

I think the love triangle thing was more of a running joke than their lame fanfiction.

No, I mean, they acted out a fanfiction written by a fan, which involved said love triangle.

It was terrible.

And hilarious.

I thought it was some of his best work in recent years and personally I enjoyed the little bits using the people from Demo Reel. It adds a bit more complexity to the review than just a guy sitting at a table and yelling.

I also kinda hope he continues with Demo Reel but he really needs to figure out what the show is going for.

soren7550:

Vault101:

trty00:

soren7550:

That was just a review featuring some other reviewers. The lame fanfiction crap is stuff like the Dark Nella Saga, or whatever the hell it is Linkara keeps going on about him having a massive spaceship and how he's magical.

I have to agree there. I stopped watching Linkara's stuff a long time ago when he started shoving Iron Liz in to everything and all his story stuff got really invasive.

It was ok, I was a bit bothered that he acknowledged that he was slipping into memes/repetition and he said he was going to do it differently...but it really felt the same. Don't get me wrong, it isn't a bad thing to stick to what works, but don't make this triumphant proclamation that you realized what drove you away from it and you're going to rise above it only to do it all over again. Maybe if he slipped back into it a few months down the line but from the first episode back?!

I loved it. I thought he was funny, I thought the Demo Reel Duo was great, I thought he made some very intelligent points near the end...in short, this is the Critic I admired so much back when I first discovered him. Hope it stays this way for a long, long while. At least long enough for me to somehow do a Garfield crossover with him.

Furbyz:
I honestly loved the review. I thought the scenes with the actors from Demo Reel really worked to illustrate his points on the absurdities of certain situations in the film in a funny manner. Maybe it's just because I haven't seen a new one in forever, but I'd say this is his best review in a long time. I like that he is deviating from the formula, as the adherence to that formula is essentially what caused NC to stagnate in the first place.

I did think the background was too white though.

I liked the sketches with the Demo Reel people. Its something a little different, which is not a bad thing at all.

Overall, not his best review, but definitely a good one. I got plenty of laughs from it.

I thought it was really great. No long speech about being back, no apology for taking the time off, just a really great review with a lot of laughs. It's good to see him back and I look forward to his next review.

i thought it was really funny

Its a shame with what happened with Demo Reel. I mean I didn't really like it that much because it was, in the end, just a bunch of references. No show can survive on references alone.

As for the NC, I'm glad its back, but for pete's sake don't restrict yourself to older movies. I know his name is "the nostalgia critic" and he is a critic of nostalgia, but there are horrible movies that come out each year that could benefit him even more.

Also:

VectorFan98:
i thought it was really funny

Finally made the plunge with your first post? Its too late for you! Once you make one you cannot go back!

Edit: Well I just watch the review and realized that they no longer are doing the "MUST BE OLD" thing, so thats good.

I found it hard to watch. not cause the review was bad, NC seemed in top form, it's just the movie was that unbearably BAD.

Thanks to this episode, I do think I have a new reaction gif for whenever I have to say 'no' to something.
Great to see the Critic back. Humor dragged a bit at times, but overall it was a good watch. The only agony came from the film itself and the whiteness of NC's wall.

Seriously, Doug needs to repaint his wall.

Soviet Heavy:

Holy shit, I just noticed that! Yeah I think it is.

uchytjes:
Its a shame with what happened with Demo Reel. I mean I didn't really like it that much because it was, in the end, just a bunch of references. No show can survive on references alone.

As for the NC, I'm glad its back, but for pete's sake don't restrict yourself to older movies. I know his name is "the nostalgia critic" and he is a critic of nostalgia, but there are horrible movies that come out each year that could benefit him even more.

he did explcitily say he was axeing the "time frame" limit..which was a very restrictive thing, also lowing his schedule

He should rename himself "The Nostalgic Critic"?
I thought it was a good episode. You can't really do much more wiht a review show of bad things with some jokes thrown in. I just want him to keep it up.

The only thing I've ever enjoyed involving NC was Retsupurae making fun of him. The three minutes of this new video I struggled through have done nothing to sway my opinion.

I never got why people complain the opening is too long. Gah, it really shows that the internet is full of people who are so impatient, that anything longer then .1 second that isn't the part they want, is too long to deal with.

I enjoyed his review, it made me laugh, it was good to see the NC back and I for one enjoyed the opening. Not to big of a fan of the scenes with those two from Demo Reel, but it wasn't enough to ruin it for me.

It was fun for a while, but this whole "getting indignent about entertainment" stuff is really starting to chafe. Back in the days of AVGN, it was funny because it was obviously stupid to get pissed off at old, dumb games. Today, we have Angry Joe, who does the exact same thing while being completely serious. I enjoy Nostalgia Critic much more when I forget that the rest of the TGWTG essentially is bad authorized fanfic.

IanDavis:
. I enjoy Nostalgia Critic much more when I forget that the rest of the TGWTG essentially is bad authorized fanfic.

I'd argue there are better shows on there since his reveiw formula was getting old

I just watched it and it wasnt too bad, a few changes (like including the people from demo reel) I look forwar dto future stuff

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked