Safety videos are terrifying

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Am I the only one that finds the surreality in the safety videos that you get on planes and boats and the like to be absolutely fucking terrifying? I always find that they make me more worried than I should be.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. "Secure the vest"?

EternalFacepalm:

Put your tray table up. And your seat back in the full upright position. =D

Terrifying.

EternalFacepalm:

It isn't that. It's that everyone is so calm when this is happening.

Froggy Slayer:

EternalFacepalm:

It isn't that. It's that everyone is so calm when this is happening.

Mmm, yeah, those nonexistent people represented by drawings are quite calm. It's almost as if the airline responsible for your safety and wellbeing doesn't want you to panic during a situation wherein your chances of survival are increased if you don't panic.

How weird.

Scolar Visari:

Terrifying.

Damin it! That was exactly what popped into mind the second I read the title of this thread.

Professor Lupin Madblood:
--snip--

I understand why, but seeing everyone being like 'hey kids, the plane is crashing! Let's put the gas mask on in a nice orderly fashion' just looks off in the situation that they're in.

Scolar Visari:
--snip--

Honestly, I'd prefer it if the safety videos were like this, because at least it's funny and the people, though still caricatures, aren't walking around with a giant fucking GRIN affixed to their faces when in a life threatening situation.

Froggy Slayer:

Professor Lupin Madblood:
--snip--

I understand why, but seeing everyone being like 'hey kids, the plane is crashing! Let's put the gas mask on in a nice orderly fashion' just looks off in the situation that they're in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Congratulations, you're a human being.

Scolar Visari:
Terrifying.

Canadians go a more direct route with their work safety PSAs.

There are no accidents.

Dags90:

There are no accidents.

Serves her right for being so happily engaged. Her colleagues were probably sick of her constantly taking about it into thin air, and sprayed that grease on the floor on purpose.

Casual Shinji:

Dags90:

There are no accidents.

Serves her right for being so happily engaged. Her colleagues were probably sick of her constantly taking about it into thin air, and sprayed that grease on the floor on purpose.

Remind me to never get married...

I remember this really fuckin' creepy fire safety ad that gave fire the voice of a demon child mocking a dad's desperate attempts to completely fireproof his home.

But I can't find that, so settle for this fire mage pedophile instead;

Also, witness the 9th doctor laughing at the death of two young people;

Fantastic!

They are supposed to be that way. The best way to get people to practice proper safety procedure is to give them a very strong and immediate incentive to do so. Fear is a good way to do this. If you can scare people by depicting the consequences of not following proper procedure, then they will be likely to take that into account and less likely to dick around when their safety is involved. If safety videos weren't scary at all, they probably would not leave much of any impact at all. Just look at the safety brochures on planes. You are tens of thousands of feet above the air, and a fuck up could have you spiraling towards your death at terminal velocity, but you tend not to think about that. Those safety brochures leave almost no impact on the passengers. A good safety video/brochure will probably remind you that you are tens of thousands of feet in the air and are going to fucking die if there is a problem and you can't follow safety procedure.

Us Brits aren't too afraid to get down to business with our PSAs too!

Here's one showing how you, your friends and everyone in the vicinity unfortunate to have a pulse is fucked if you text while driving.

Sleep tight, children!

They do it with domestic violence too.

Well it is partly to scare the saftey into you, but that being said, it certainly doesn't help my anxiety issues. Thats even when I already know the saftey procedures to begin with...

Casual Shinji:

Dags90:

There are no accidents.

I'm sorry that's the funniest thing I've read today.

But on topic: If I had to guess, these things are terrifying for the sake of getting attention. The cavemen who weren't attentive to potential dangers died out pretty quickly, so we're descended from the skittish ones who checked their back after every odd step. So it's our instinct to pay attention to bad things.

when i done my health and safety course the video they showed was basically a B grade slasher flick. everything from impalement to loss of limb to decapitation. what made it hilarious was they instantly switched from dangers on the construction/factory site to dangers in the office showing the lethal injuries of strained back from using the photo copier abd paper cuts when passing memos

TopazFusion:
These are the sort of PSA ads we get on New Zealand TV . . .

Ugh, I remember that one. It was horrifying. I made a point to change the channel every time I saw it.

But on a lighter note, you also get this awesome one:

This ad created the 'Ghost Chips' meme.

EDIT: I just remembered another one that's a bit disturbing.

- And, oh yeah, three of the airplane engines burned out
And we went into a tailspin and crashed into a hillside
And the plane exploded in a giant fireball and everybody died
Except for me
You know why?

'Cause I had my tray table up
And my seat back in the full upright position
Had my tray table up
Had my tray table up

Ah ha ha ha
Ah ha ha
Ah

So I crawled from the twisted, burnin' wreckage -

There's this one, which tries to be emotional, but comes off unintentionally hilarious because of how implausible the situation is.

I don't know about you, but I don't think that the United States ever built soccer fields over former minefields, especially not in residential areas. Mainly because the last time anyone used mines in the US was during the civil war, and those are out in fields away from public areas. If any of them are still working.

So you've got a landmine in the middle of a soccer pitch, that nobody noticed for years, and was never tripped before, in a country that has no landmines in the first place.

Soviet Heavy:
There's this one, which tries to be emotional, but comes off unintentionally hilarious because of how implausible the situation is.

I don't know about you, but I don't think that the United States ever built soccer fields over former minefields, especially not in residential areas. Mainly because the last time anyone used mines in the US was during the civil war, and those are out in fields away from public areas. If any of them are still working.

So you've got a landmine in the middle of a soccer pitch, that nobody noticed for years, and was never tripped before, in a country that has no landmines in the first place.

Isn't the point of the ad how much it would suck if there were landmines in America like there are in other countries. Though how one could be in a soccer field is idiotic, toxic waste on the other hand...... well just ask Love Canal.

Also is anyone else kinda pissed off that when an emergency happens the solution depicted is running away?

lechat:
showing the lethal injuries of strained back from using the photo copier abd paper cuts when passing memos

...wat?... O_o
happen to have a link to a video by chance?

NoOne852:

lechat:
showing the lethal injuries of strained back from using the photo copier abd paper cuts when passing memos

...wat?... O_o

well the course was done using downloaded youtube clips so no doubt it's floating around somewhere but i can't remember the name sorry

Waffle_Man:

Scolar Visari:

Terrifying.

Damin it! That was exactly what popped into mind the second I read the title of this thread.

Same here.
Anyway.
I'm pretty sure you're just having a problem with the "uncanny valley".

lechat:

NoOne852:

lechat:

...wat?... O_o

well the course was done using downloaded youtube clips so no doubt it's floating around somewhere but i can't remember the name sorry

Darn. Well its fine. Just curiousity and all that. Some of these saftey PSAs are pretty ridiculous afterall.

In my first-aid class, we watched a video about how to temporarily help people with various injuries until medical personal could arrive.

One part had a guy accidentally stab himself in the femoral artery with a paper-cutter...

It... Squirted... So much squirting... And the sound effects...

*shudder*

Now where ever I go, I'm terrified something might stab or cut me there. I'm super uneasy about knives and having to cut open boxes and stuff.

Well, one I remember was about security online. It's not so much shocking as it was absurd, but still quite overblown. 'Screaming [subject] from the rooftops' is a Dutch saying that expresses letting people know about things in an exagerated manner.

Things she mentions are her bank number, login, etc.

Dags90:

Scolar Visari:
Terrifying.

Canadians go a more direct route with their work safety PSAs.

There are no accidents.

Jesus F###ing Christ!!! Well that woke me up!

Actually that little add reminds me of an incident where I did my apprenticeship. One of the waitresses came in from her break all bubbly and happy. We always kept telling people not to run around in the kitchen, especially around the fryer section as the floors were always slippery. She came through there and slipped. She slipped straight into a stock pot that some of the lads had just taken off the stove and effectively boiled her entire arm!

Remember kids, safety videos are scary for a reason.

Dwarfman:
snip

I think I prefer the slightly more surreal "retail" version.

Blablahb:
'Screaming [subject] from the rooftops' is a Dutch saying that expresses letting people know about things in an exagerated manner.

It's a common expression in English, too. A quick Google suggests Biblical origins for both languages. The video is extra amusing for being in Dutch.

Dags90:

Dwarfman:
snip

I think I prefer the slightly more surreal "retail" version.

Saw that one too and you're right it's very surreal.

I once had a job where we drove tractors with swathing implements behind them. We used to love the safety video we were asked to watch every spring (especially showing them to the new guys.) I really wish I could find one and post it. The funniest one involved cautions about the PTO shaft. For those of you who don't know what that is, it stands for Power Take-Off. Basically it's an extra drive shaft you can engage behind a tractor that will power whatever implement you have hitched up. And it IS very dangerous when engaged because it spins at significant RPM's (not particularly fast mind you, but enough to do TERRIBLE things to anything touching or getting caught in it.) Our video showed a test dummy getting its arm caught in the shaft, two times. The first time the arm gets ripped off at the shoulder. We love telling the new guys "That's the 'If you're lucky' scenario." The second vid shows the dummy getting caught, being bodily thrown around the shaft a few times and slamming into the ground each revolution, and finally getting wrapped around the shaft and torn to pieces. The people who see THAT for the first time... the look on their face is priceless.

And it's effective; we never had any injury involving a PTO shaft.

I remember a safety video from my science class in junior high. One of the kids in the video broke a beaker and then slammed the broken glass into his hand. Later in the video a kid who was holding a bucket of chemicals got shoved, so he violently flails his arms and drenches a boy who was walking by. The boy proceeds to undress and use the emergency shower, the camera pans over to another boy who has the biggest smile on his face and nods while he watches.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked