Say One Thing About The Country You Live In

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

United States of America
My Thoughts: I hate political diversity.

Norway - We like to brag about ourselves to other countries about how rich we are.

Canada.

Shockingly, despite our reputation, Southern Ontario is quite warm. Most of the snow we've gotten recently has been washed away by rain or melted by the increasingly common >0° temperatures. THIS COUNTRY IS SUPPOSED TO BE COLD, DAMN IT! WHERES THE SNOW?!?

The following piece of information from QI made me feel proud to call myself British, although if we are going to get into specifics Im English.

"- XL Tangent: During the Second World War American army camps in Britain were racially segregated, but the British were opposed to it. When the Americans insisted on segregated pubs the British refused. When white Americans came in and saw black Americans drinking in a bar they would start fights and the British fought alongside the black Americans. Ronni then talks about US propaganda films showing a white US soldier and a black US soldier meeting an old British lady and invites both of them around for tea, so the film prepared soldiers for the non-racist treatment the British gave to American soldiers."

Treating people with respect isn't really a big acomplishment but the fact that our behaviour back then was so different to that of America's, another of the major centres of civilisation and culture of the day (and now very likely the driving force behind much of the culture the west (or at least the UK, I can't speak for other nations)) creates a kind of contrast which actually makes me feel proud of Britain's outlook back then.

On the other hand my brother has been doing some sort of research project for his history homework recently and has told me that the British empire were the first to use concentration camps.

Zen Bard:
America - where 80% of us wish we were The Netherlands...

(But we're getting there. It IS legal in two states...)

A wonderful thing indeed. :)

Australia - Enormous spiders and man-eating kangaroos.

Denmark

According to wikipedia:
Denmark has the highest consumption of meat per person of any country in the world.

"There's no dessert until you finished your pork."

I think we score pretty high on consumption of alcohol as well.

johnnyLupine:

Treating people with respect isn't really a big acomplishment but the fact that our behaviour back then was so different to that of America's, another of the major centres of civilisation and culture of the day (and now very likely the driving force behind much of the culture the west (or at least the UK, I can't speak for other nations)) creates a kind of contrast which actually makes me feel proud of Britain's outlook back then.

I imagine that may be a side effect of being an old colonial Empire. The few times I've visited the UK I was impressed by the cultural diversity.

I feel we could learn a thing or two from you guys...

Australia
where we call mates c**ts and strangers mates

Bosnia and Herzegovina

We invented Ćevape !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%86evapi

Interesting Fact:

English Canadian National Anthem has lines such as -

Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

French Canadian National Anthem has lines such as (English translated/arguably more badass)-

Land of our forefathers,
Thy brow is wreathed with a glorious garland of flowers.
As is thy arm ready to wield the sword,
So also is it ready to carry the cross.
Thy history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits.
Thy valour steeped in faith

Pointless Information: In WW1, the Canadian Expeditionary Force was referred to as "Storm Troopers" by German Forces, due to the fearless Trench raiding tactics employed by Canadian troops at the battle of Ypes. Canadians were the first force of WW1 to employ 'Trench Raiding' which was eventually adopted as a tactic by the German forces. For the remainder of WW1, anytime Canadian forces were brought to the front of an assault, German forces were said to have prepared themselves for the worst.

Australia, we invented the clothes line, the bionic ear and can beat the English at cricket any time we want.

Australia

Every animal (except some of the birds) will ruin your day in some strange and unusual fashion

USA
"An entire country based on saying one thing and doing another"

Snow, forest, alcohol, sauna, metal, coffee and more snow... Yup! thats about it.

Australia

Drop bears. Everywhere. They gonna get cha

Ireland=wet

Poland:

Perhaps we'll get gay rights in a couple of years.

Also, our supermarkets are pretty neat.

I really enjoy living in Canada, it's really nice, as much as I whine and bitch about the weather, I really do enjoy Canada.

Serbia:

Actual conversation with Americans (the conversation happened couple of times):
- Where are you from?
- Serbia.
- Oh that is in Russia? Heard it's pretty cold there.

Dear Americans, we are not Siberia.

Fact: The monarchy is overrated

'Murica, where the radical minorities have the loudest voice because they don't know what a fucking democracy is. Then again, we're actually a republic, not a democracy, so eh.

Fact: A lot of stereotypes about Americans are depressingly true. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen an intolerant, Bible-beating, gun-toting jackass who was as wide as he was tall, I wouldn't need a job.

But at least they're dying off! :D

Canada

Confirmed place of origin of igloos, beavers, and mukluks.

Netherlands.

We've got a political party called 50+. We've got cannabis. We've got a lot of water.DON'T visit comments sections of the websites of our newspapers, and DON'T read the "Opinion" sections of the papers themselves.

That's pretty much it, really.

gummibear76:
Canada.

Shockingly, despite our reputation, Southern Ontario is quite warm. Most of the snow we've gotten recently has been washed away by rain or melted by the increasingly common >0° temperatures. THIS COUNTRY IS SUPPOSED TO BE COLD, DAMN IT! WHERES THE SNOW?!?

Global warming man. Here in Canada, the weather forecast could call for snow, and instead it'll rain half the day and be sunny during the other half. It can also work the other way around.

Romania

Great nature(we have mud volcanoes, sea, a delta and mountains ffs) and many resources, but retarded, greedy and corrupted political leaders, kinda stupid population political-wise and it feels like someone out there wants this country to fail. And it's working... (If I'm going to hear someone say communism is great, I'm gonna slap that hoe.)

Also, we like out salt, don't tell us every day that too much is harmful, TV.

Rule Britannia:
Canada (used to live in England)

Everyone is reallly nice, eh?

negative thing:
Canada's internet is awful, the rates are ridiculous and the speed is staggeringly bad.
(this is of course in comparison to U.S. or UK or pretty much anywhere in the world, the CEO (i think was his title) of netflix called Canada's internet on par with third world countries.)

Canada

Another thing:
Our cell phone coverage, speed and prices are even worse.

My friend who moved to Germany got a new a cell phone plan with the same amount of minutes and text messages that I get, except hers has unlimited data, while I get 1gb.
She says she pays about 15 euros per month, I pay 90$ (roughly 67 euros) per month.

It pisses me off.

But I still freaking love this country.

Worldbreaker:
Serbia:

Actual conversation with Americans (the conversation happened couple of times):
- Where are you from?
- Serbia.
- Oh that is in Russia? Heard it's pretty cold there.

Dear Americans, we are not Siberia.

Same thing about Croatia (if you say it fast, it sounds like 'Russia to an American -.- )

Pozdrav iz 'Rvatske, lijepo je vidjeti da nas je još ex-yu na Escapistu :-D

Fact: Despite what the far right says and what you'd think we don't actually have an official language.

Tidbit: We exist. But I suppose I should say more...Well, we have kind of a friendly rivalry thing going on with Sweden, and that's been there a long time.

America

We're not all fat...

Mr.Squishy:

Tidbit: We exist. But I suppose I should say more...Well, we have kind of a friendly rivalry thing going on with Sweden, and that's been there a long time.

If you don't mind me asking, how big is black metal really in Norway?

The very old kingdom of Sweden.
Info: During the 1910-isch to 1920-isch we had a very renowned film industry.

Tidbit: At least 90% of our food is fake. Don't eat it. Ever.

Fun fact: There are more Croats living outside Croatia than there are in the country. Because it sucks.

Winterbird:

Fun fact: There are more Croats living outside Croatia than there are in the country. Because it sucks.

Well, most of it anyway xD
The food's pretty good :-D
And the scenery.
That's about it, really.

Ojla! Konačno, još jedan Hrvat na Escapistu! :-D

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked