I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse-lasagne!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

i would not mind eating horse meat, but the mis-labeling of something is... unacceptable!!!

Wait this is the horse meat story I had heard about? I thought that the meat was contaminated or something, not just switched out for a different kind of meat. I've had horse burgers before and thought it was delicious. The only problem I see here is false advertising, but beyond that it is kind of ridiculous.

Rawne1980:
I'll start panicking when I they start making Cat Kebabs round here .... Horse meat I can live with.

Never tried cat, I guess some people must eat it somewhere. Dog is quite nice, alligator is extremely tough but I was assured I had eaten it badly prepared.

I really can't stress how little of a fuck I give about this whole horsemeat thing. Meat is meat as far as I'm concerned.

Yes somebody needs to be sued, if they thinks somebody else was responsible they can sue them for damages too. Eventually the sue buck will stop with the person responsible.

Happiness Assassin:
Wait this is the horse meat story I had heard about? I thought that the meat was contaminated or something, not just switched out for a different kind of meat. I've had horse burgers before and thought it was delicious. The only problem I see here is false advertising, but beyond that it is kind of ridiculous.

Yeah, the problem I have is the whole mis-labelling thing and not knowing if it's got horse-drugs in it etc. I think the FSA was in a bit of a rush to say "there's no danger to public health" when they didn't really know that for a fact yet.

The thing I like though is that yes, it is bad and a bit ridiculous but there is a light-hearted side to it with all the puns and so forth, which is nice because most news stories are about death, death, death, suffering, violence, destruction, idiot reality tv "stars" etc.

I'm actually pretty sure the UK is more worried about the chemicals that were once used on the horses that have suddenly ended up as meatbags.

With that said who's for dog and cat tongue?.

If you're eating frozen ready meals, you don't have any right to complain about what's in them. Just be glad that it's meat.

robot slipper:

I know I feel slightly grossed out now, as I am usually lazy on the weekends and eat frozen ready meals, so who knows what is actually in them.

Honestly, the only thing surprising me in this whole debacle is that there was any meat in there at all.

Haaaaaaaaa. Horse meat isn't bad at all. The only problem I see with this is if the food started to taste like glue.

BlackStar42:

sky14kemea:
Mmmmm, horse meat. Tasty tasty protein.

I did see a thing on TV about those lasagnes, actually! Some people sent in funny pictures to the One Show (I think it was the One Show, I wasn't paying full attention).

I once ate a Wild Boar burger, and that was pretty much the same as a beef burger, IMO. Those weird animal burgers seem popular at markets and stuff now, so it probably won't be long till we get a horse burger. =P

I've eaten wild boar burger too. I really liked it, it was like beef but juicier and tastier. Wonder where they get it from though, AFAIK we don't have any wild boar in Britain.

boar farms have been popping up in the uk for sometime now, not sure if they count as "wild" though :P

This is one of the advantages of America's litigious culture. A company that sells mislabeled product, even if they obtained that product unawares from a supplier, should be sued. When it comes to mislabeling the meat that's put into food, that company should suffer massive damages. If they don't like being sued, they can sue their meat supplier. And if it ends up being that a giant food manufacturer has more money and thus suffers more from lawsuit than a smaller supplier, I'm totally fine with that. When you label a package saying that a certain food is in it, you owe the public a sincere effort to ensure that that's the food that's actually in the package.

That's an entirely separate matter from the cultural taboo on horse meat. Yes, the public should get over eating horse. Horses are no more sacred than cows. BUT, whether or not the public's taboo on eating horse meat is well founded has zero relevance on the fact that in no civil society should people be allowed to sell you one thing and then give you another.

Things like this are why I can't take conservatives who bang on about tort reform seriously. Strong courts and the ability for citizens to seek punishing redress from companies that misrepresent their products are an essential element of having a functioning capitalistic system.

This story didnt surprise me at all. You ask people in Britain what they think goat meat tastes like (if they have ever tried it) and tons of them say mutton. It's not because it actually tastes like that, it's just loads of people sell mutton pretending to be goat meat, as it's cheaper and easier to produce. So is it shocking to me that companies were doing the same but with horse instead of beef? No. They should still be cracked down on though, solely for misrepresentation.

RobDaBank:
If you think that's bad, some of their flooring is found to have lamb-in-it...

That was truly a-baaa-minable. My ears are bleat-ing after hearing such an awful pun. I hope you're left feeling very sheepish for what you've done. To get back on topic, you've made a right horse's ass of yourself.

Tropicaz:
This story didnt surprise me at all. You ask people in Britain what they think goat meat tastes like (if they have ever tried it) and tons of them say mutton. It's not because it actually tastes like that, it's just loads of people sell mutton pretending to be goat meat, as it's cheaper and easier to produce. So is it shocking to me that companies were doing the same but with horse instead of beef? No. They should still be cracked down on though, solely for misrepresentation.

As I understand it, the companies selling the food are somewhat the victims here. I think I remember reading something about a law change in the EU or Romania which made it much better value for the suppliers to sell horse meat rather than cattle, so they just switched it in and hoped for the best. Granted the companies using the meat should be doing their own checks.

At the end of the day, it's only Romanian horses which pulled carts around and therefore probably weren't pumped full of drugs, so no real worries.

BeeGeenie:
Frankly, I wish the English speaking world would just hurry up and get over its horsemeat = bad taboo.

Are you French? Because i remember reading that eating horse meat is not a taboo in France.

People happily eat pigs and they are the one of the dirtiest animals.
I get the mislabeling is bad but I don't understand why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist. Probably after free stuff/money/vouchers/hoping to sue.

Also if you're feeding your kids processed foods every night instead of trying to make home cooked healthy stuff, maybe you should start making your own food then you can't complain when this stuff happens.

EeveeElectro:
Also if you're feeding your kids processed foods every night instead of trying to make home cooked healthy stuff, maybe you should start making your own food then you can't complain when this stuff happens.

You think ground-up horse couldn't be mixed into the hamburger in the supermarket meat section almost just as easily as in the processed food going to some manufacturer?

I get that home cooking can be healthier than processed food, but a lot of people don't have the time for that. And suggesting that they are to blame for sellers defrauding them is rather poor.

Katatori-kun:

EeveeElectro:

You think ground-up horse couldn't be mixed into the hamburger in the supermarket meat section almost just as easily as in the processed food going to some manufacturer?

I get that home cooking can be healthier than processed food, but a lot of people don't have the time for that. And suggesting that they are to blame for sellers defrauding them is rather poor.

I'm sure it could. Hell I've probably even eaten some. I'd trust it a lot more than processed food though.
A lot of people don't have time to home cook, especially working parents. Even I don't home cook every night if I'm working lates and I'm sure as hell not blaming the parents for being too busy if they are. However feeding your kids microwave meals and processed stuff every night isn't a good idea regardless of horsey contents.

Wait, horse meat is taboo? I'm german, and I always thought of it as "mildly exotic but not weird" meat, like ostrich.

Also, mislabelling your meat is illegal for obvious reasons, but as long as the meat was ok and noone was poisoned, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

robot slipper:
And what are your thoughts on horse-meat in general?

I'm French so I eat horse meat, its not a massive part of our diets but it is something we eat from time to time, its delicious and in minced form its tastier than beef.

OK the following is in spoiler tags in case you lot are squeamish

sky14kemea:

I did see a thing on TV about those lasagnes, actually! Some people sent in funny pictures to the One Show (I think it was the One Show, I wasn't paying full attention).

I once ate a Wild Boar burger, and that was pretty much the same as a beef burger, IMO. Those weird animal burgers seem popular at markets and stuff now, so it probably won't be long till we get a horse burger. =P

Stay away from stuff like Kangaroo and Crocodile burgers and meat, they taste like armpit, doesn't matter what you season them with or what sauce you eat it with the armpit taste overpowers everything on your plate.

Ziggy:

BeeGeenie:
Frankly, I wish the English speaking world would just hurry up and get over its horsemeat = bad taboo.

Are you French? Because i remember reading that eating horse meat is not a taboo in France.

You are correct, eating horse meat is not taboo in France, we eat snails and frogs too... so Horse meat is pretty tame for us, in fact we tend to eat anything that is killed that morning.

OT, at least (as far as I know) there aren't any relegions that forbid the consumption of twilight sparkle, so that's a plus. I'm hearing and seeing a lot more stories of contaminated food products being sold, is this a by product of trying to feed our huge populations ergo quality control gets throttled to the point where they are hiring ducks[1] at warehouses?

[1] its a well known fact that ducks are incapable of telling the difference between horse meat and beef

BlackStar42:

sky14kemea:

I've eaten wild boar burger too. I really liked it, it was like beef but juicier and tastier. Wonder where they get it from though, AFAIK we don't have any wild boar in Britain.

There are wild boar farms. I know that in the Forest of Dean there are wild boar that escaped from them, so we've inadvertently reintroduced them, sort of.

To be honest, the only issue I have with this is not knowing the source and how clean the meat is, the idea of eating horsemeat doesn't really bother me at all. Just because they're not as fuck ugly as cows are, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with eating them.

...and to the people saying 'if you eat frozen readymeals you have no right to complain', no. That's idiotic. Just because people are in a hurry, or even if they're lazy, doesn't mean it's ok to lie to them about what they're eating.

Angie7F:

But then again, i never though SPAM was entirely good beef...

And why would you? It's pork shoulder with a bit of salty ham for flavor.
shoulder of
pork
And ham

TheRightToArmBears:

...and to the people saying 'if you eat frozen readymeals you have no right to complain', no. That's idiotic. Just because people are in a hurry, or even if they're lazy, doesn't mean it's ok to lie to them about what they're eating.

"You mean my tictacs are actually 99% horse teeth?!"

"Shoulda grown your own mint plant boy!"

It gets sillier the more you think about it. I think false advertising is important. This is NOT ok. Because standards need to be upheld in ALL cases. It is NEVER acceptable to let things slip through without telling a customer, and its not a precedent i want to set that it might be ok in any case even though horse meat is harmless. I dont care about horse meat. I just want to make it clear no one gets away with this in ANY circumstance.

If they don't know what the meat is, then they don't know whether it's fit for human consumption. If it was just a case of mislabeling edible meat, then fine. It would still be unacceptable, but we have absolutely no idea where this meat comes from, what is in it, when and how it was killed and butchered, the veterinary history of the animals involved and so forth, and it's been ages since since this scandal broke. If an actual criminal investigation can't reliably trace this meat, something is badly wrong.

Not all meat is safe to eat. Next time something like this happens, it could make people seriously ill. People could die as a result. This scandal isn't actually about how horsemeat is icky, none of the affected countries ban the sale of horsemeat. The issue is that if people are able to get away with passing off the wrong type of meat for profit, it's reasonable to assume that sooner or later someone is going to pass off meat which is unfit for consumption for the same reason.

TizzytheTormentor:

robot slipper:
In the wake of the recent horsemeat-burger scandal, it has now been found that some frozen Findus lasagnes in the UK are 100% horsemeat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21375594

My feeling on this is that it is not ok to package something as beef and it's actually horse. It's obviously being done on the sly by the suppliers, so who knows what condition it's been in and what drugs the horses might have been taking which people could now be eating. What are people's thoughts on this? Should the companies have legal action against them for not monitoring their suppliers properly? And what are your thoughts on horse-meat in general?

I know I feel slightly grossed out now, as I am usually lazy on the weekends and eat frozen ready meals, so who knows what is actually in them. Then again, I am partial to the occasional chicken nugget, and those probably don't have much chicken in them either.

And how many horse-meat related jokes have you heard on the radio or read in the news today? I've heard a LOT.

Lasangne? Personally, I prefer Speghetti Bologneighs!

Or perhaps some Filly Con Carni!

No worries though, at least people who ate the meat are in a stable condition!

I don't get why everyone's long in the face over it, I mean it's still food right?

Thats the mane thing I think, people here really need to get over the hurdle of eating horse meat.

Shadow-Phoenix:
I'm actually pretty sure the UK is more worried about the chemicals that were once used on the horses that have suddenly ended up as meatbags.

What about the still beating heart of a king cobra? I hear that's tasty!

SkarKrow:

Shadow-Phoenix:

My mother's eaten snake meat before and she claimed it was tasty as well as horse meat and my stepdad has eaten kangaroo and Ostrich meat before so I can tell they've been there already =P.

Shadow-Phoenix:

SkarKrow:

Shadow-Phoenix:

My mother's eaten snake meat before and she claimed it was tasty as well as horse meat and my stepdad has eaten kangaroo and Ostrich meat before so I can tell they've been there already =P.

Awesome, I know in vietnam they'll kill the snake in front of you and give you the heart still beating with vodka and blood to wash it down. I wanna try it!

I also hear whale is pretty good, like chewy irony steak...

People also tell me insects are tasty but no thanks.

Well I personally wouldn't eat a horse on purpose, unless I had to to survive, to me they're about as loyal as a dog, then again I heard pigs can be the same, then again bacon.

Either way, if I ask/buy a beef lasagne or beef whatever I don't the meat within to be anything other than what comes from cattle.

Can't care if they put horse meat in whatever they sell, as long as there is a nice; OI! horse meat in here! sticker on it.

Selling horse meat as beef (or anything else) Can get you in a few fun lawsuits.

I can certainly understand why people are concerned about this not only was the meat mislabeled and falsely advertised but where this meat came from and its history is unknown which is quite alarming.

As to taboo of horse meat meh after eating whale and deep fried cricket horse seems rather tame.

I think mislabelling something is wrong, but I don't really care about the horsemeat. Heck, I've had Kangaroo (and it was damn good too.)

This situation could be a lot worse they might find a guy called Sweeney Todd on the meat suppliers payroll.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked