Blizzard of 2013 Day #2

In case you didn't know, the east coast of the US is getting wracked with a massive blizzard that's getting compared to the blizzard of 1978. Currently the snow is up to my knees, it's still snowing, there's one heck of a wind, and there's currently a driving ban that's been in effect in MA since 4:00 PM EST yesterday. Jesus Christ, I've never seen a storm like this in my life, and it's been going on since yesterday. I doubt that I'll be able to go into work today. Yeesh

So, everyone else staying dry and warm?

Doesn't look like it's snowing right now in Vermont. At least not near Lake Champlain.

Also, people in Canada laugh at us, 'cause they apparently (in some provinces, at least) regularly (as in a few times a year, I would imagine) get storms that drop a meter of snow overnight and still have to go work the next day.

shrekfan246:
Doesn't look like it's snowing right now in Vermont. At least not near Lake Champlain.

Also, people in Canada laugh at us, 'cause they apparently (in some provinces, at least) regularly (as in a few times a year, I would imagine) get storms that drop a meter of snow overnight and still have to go work the next day.

Shit, I'm from Minnesota and I laugh at you guys for this.

We see this kind of snow storm at least once a year. I've NEVER gotten a day off of work because it snowed. In my four years attending high school, I NEVER got a day off because of snow.

Looking at some of these pictures, it just gives me a chuckle about how "horrible" the conditions are.

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/02/northeast-blizzard-thousands-without-power/#17
(this story has some nice pictures so that's why I'm using it)

Shit, the highest in any of these pictures are up to the guys knees...or Tuesday as we like to call it :)

Upstate New York here, Chenango County. We only got roughly 3 inches and the main roads are pretty clear as of right now. It was coming down pretty hard around 6pm last night, but it quickly subsided. Like most storms where I live, they either bounce off the sides of Chenango Valley and we get next to nothing, or it plows right through and we get dumped on. Thankfully, the former happened with this storm, as it didn't have enough power to push west over the side of the valley.

That being said, however, it's going to be an interesting start to the week next week when it's 40+ degrees and calling for rain. Snow + rain = pretty frickin' damp.

Somewhat close to Boston and it's pretty nice, windy and snowy but nice. Not as bad as it was yesterday.

tippy2k2:

shrekfan246:

We see this kind of snow storm at least once a year. I've NEVER gotten a day off of work because it snowed. In my four years attending high school, I NEVER got a day off because of snow.

Looking at some of these pictures, it just gives me a chuckle about how "horrible" the conditions are.

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2013/02/northeast-blizzard-thousands-without-power/#17

Shit, the highest in any of these pictures are up to the guys knees...or Tuesday as we like to call it :)

To be fair, our winters have been unusually mild the past two years. Right now on the ground is probably the most snow we've had at once all year - or winter, I suppose I should technically say -, and typically it's the amount of snow we'll have before Thanksgiving.

tippy2k2:

Hell, I used to live in Northern Canada and I laugh at Minnesota!

But yeah, that amount of snow you're seeing in those pics would be crippling in a city unaccustomed to snow. I live in Vancouver now and a light dusting throws the city into a panic. Businesses shut down early, people are sliding their cars off the road...it's pandemonium.

shrekfan246:
To be fair, our winters have been unusually mild the past two years. Right now on the ground is probably the most snow we've had at once all year - or winter, I suppose I should technically say -, and typically it's the amount of snow we'll have before Thanksgiving.

Oh I certainly understand why some states don't handle it well.

STORY TIME!!!

Three years ago, in Tippy2k2's darkest times, he worked for a tech support call center. He was talking with a customer from Texas, who stated that he had to leave his office; they were being evacuated. "Holy shit" thought a young and still alive-on-the-inside Tippy2k2, "What could be happening?".

'We're expecting to get two inches of snow' says the caller

"I'm sorry" says the now confused Tippy2k2, "I thought you said you were evacuating because you are getting two inches of snow. How silly a concept!"

'It's true. This happens so rarely that we don't have the equipment to handle the roads and traffic'

So while I do find it incredibly hilarious that other states panic about snow, I most certainly understand that it's just plain not worth the money to fund the fleet of vehicles Minnesota has because it's just so rare. However, that doesn't mean I can't point and laugh!

tippy2k2:

shrekfan246:

STORY TIME!!!

Three years ago, in Tippy2k2's darkest times, he worked for a tech support call center. He was talking with a customer from Texas, who stated that he had to leave his office; they were being evacuated. "Holy shit" thought a young and still alive-on-the-inside Tippy2k2, "What could be happening?".

"I'm sorry" says the now confused Tippy2k2, "I thought you said you were evacuating because you are getting two inches of snow. How silly a concept!"

'It's true. This happens so rarely that we don't have the equipment to handle the roads and traffic'

So while I do find it incredibly hilarious that other states panic about snow, I most certainly understand that it's just plain not worth the money to fund the fleet of vehicles Minnesota has because it's just so rare. However, that doesn't mean I can't point and laugh!

Oh, we're accustomed to snow. (Vermont is at least. I suppose I can't speak for the other states of New England, but I can't imagine they usually get less snow than we do.) Hell, it's not all that rare to find people zooming along at 60 MPH on icy roads in the middle of a blizzard. We just generally don't take care of "sudden" storms until the day after they've happened, and with how it's all been fluctuating lately it's become a little bit unpredictable.

And yeah, it's always hilarious to hear about how the southern states handle getting an inch or two of snow.

EDIT: Anecdote of my own: My high school was a champion of staying open after really bad blizzards, and I had to walk to school every day because my mother would get angry at me if I woke her up so early in the morning to spend the five minutes it would take to drive me up a mile of hill.

So one day, I wake up and we had a blizzard overnight. It's still snowing, but the roads have all been plowed and I'm watching the TV but there's no sign of my school's name being listed under the closings and I don't have time to wait any longer if I want to make sure I arrive on time. So I leave, walk through the snow to the school, and when I get there, what do I discover? It was closed for the day.

tippy2k2:

shrekfan246:

STORY TIME!!!

It almost makes me want to move to texas with my winter tires so when this happens I can speed around and no one could stop me

shrekfan246:

A metre is an exaggeration in the southern parts of Canada. Yes, we get plenty of snow and we know exactly how to deal with it but I'm not going to lie and say we're perpetually buried in the stuff.

Im right here in good ol canada. I'd laugh at you guys as you may have predicted, but for us right now, we have snow all over but warm enough to wear hoodies considering it's the middle of winter.
Nothing considered to Russia dare I say.
When it get cold here we stay inside and dread going out. In Russia they have to go out because some of the population cant afford heating indoors all the time. Still we laugh at you guys because of how much attention it gets in the states.

MD reporting in, and we didn't get snow.

Sucks to be the north east US right now.

BloatedGuppy:
But yeah, that amount of snow you're seeing in those pics would be crippling in a city unaccustomed to snow. I live in Vancouver now and a light dusting throws the city into a panic. Businesses shut down early, people are sliding their cars off the road...it's pandemonium.

We're certainly used to getting snow in New England. Boston averages about four feet of it a year, and that number goes up a decent amount as you go north and/or west of the city. If it had just been the snow, it wouldn't have been quite so big a deal, but the 75 mph wind gusts and coastal flooding on top of it were a bit of a problem. I also imagine the 650k people without power as a result of that were not too thrilled.

The reason storms that happen in the northeast get so much coverage is probably at least partly that they have such a large effect, relatively. Just the stretch from New York to Boston (i.e. in the path of this storm) is 10% of the population of the US, and one in six people in the US lives in the small strip from DC to Boston (which gets storms traveling up the entire coast sometimes). That area also contains the headquarters of a lot of the news companies, which might influence their coverage. On top of that, it has the headquarters of a third of the Fortune 500 and an enormous number of other major corporations, so anything that shuts down or delays business in the northeast US affects the entire country to some degree.

Or maybe I'm thinking too hard after shoveling, which is not a good time for braining, and they just like sensationalizing any kind of weather that will get them ratings. Anything that affects a lot of people will get a big audience (the people who will be affected, and maybe some people who know people in that area), so there you go.

Brooklyn here, and from what I saw (been inside for the past three days [excluding when I had to do laundry] due to illness), it didn't snow that much. Boyfriend said that it was about ankle deep.

Far as I can tell, New Yorkers have overreacted to snow again because of that snowstorm we had back in December '10/January '11.

Many of the streets by there weren't plowed for a week, and every day on my block there'd be a car or two stuck in the snow. Hell, the snow didn't completely melt away until February.

EDIT: Oh yeah, around the same time, EVERYTHING WAS ENCASED IN ICE.

So yeah, that's why New York at least got in a hoopla over Nemo here.

tippy2k2:

shrekfan246:

STORY TIME!!!

This is why I love and hate Texas. I always get out of school when it snows...but it rarely snows and it is never enough snow. I'm sure it is a hassle for other states that have to deal with it regularly, but ya gotta live with what ya got. So do Minnesotans get a lot of hail during the winter? How do you proof vehicles for hail?

Tell you what, if you send all the snow to Sydney I won't charge you any storage fees or anything. In fact, just tow over (or post, whichever's easier) the entire weather system, there are plenty of Australian kids who'd love a blizzard for however long it lasts. I'm just happy to take it off your hands, really I am. In fact, I'll throw in a free bit of cloud cover, guaranteed not to deliver a single drop of water, just hang around making the weather miserable.

NightmareWarden:
This is why I love and hate Texas. I always get out of school when it snows...but it rarely snows and it is never enough snow. I'm sure it is a hassle for other states that have to deal with it regularly, but ya gotta live with what ya got. So do Minnesotans get a lot of hail during the winter? How do you proof vehicles for hail?

It is incredibly rare for hail in Minnesota. I see it maybe once every two years.

However, like most cold states, we get a lot of the freezing rain and sleet (it is currently sleeting outside). This is especially true early and late winter when it's warm enough in the day to melt the ice and then cold enough at night to freeze it back up...

Adorable.

The Finns give a warmhearted, fatherly pat on the back.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked