The Worst Big Youtubers

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

YouTube is a very confusing place. There are comedy prodigies on the website who struggle to get the views or subscribers they deserve, yet there appear to be so many talent-less hacks that undeservedly net a massive fanbase, forming the elitist, uncrackable clique known as "The YouTube Celebrities".

You can classify "big" however you want, I just want to know about the video-makers you believe are hogging the limelight when they don't deserve to at all.

I'll start off by admitting my undying hatred for iJustine. I've heard so many people hail her as the Queen of YouTube, yet all I can see in her is a reply girl with slightly better editing skills. Honestly, all the tropes are there: Cashing in on good looks, fake title and thumbnails, and literally no worth to her videos, comedic, informative or otherwise. Granted, she is sort of slipping in the ranks of the YouTube community, but the fact that she was ever popular to begin with is simply purile

whos fault is it really?

the content providers or the audience?

It's not just Youtube. All you need to do is look at cinema and television and you'll see the same thing. Why is it that Jersey Shore gets 7 (or is it 8?) seasons, and yet Firefly gets cancelled before they finish their first?

inb4 PewDiePie.

Anyway, I don't really enjoy most of the personalities who become well-known around the internet. I don't know how many of them are Youtubers, but Tobuscus, Spoony, etc., all just come off as really annoying to me.

I like TotalBiscuit, but only enough to watch his "WTF Is..." series, and I've recently started watching Retsupurae, who riff over bad Let's Plays/bad games.

I don't really spend a lot of time on Youtube.

Gosh there is no shortage of YT celebrities with uninspired and lame videos. The first that comes to mind for me is Jenna Marbles. I just don't have one good thing to say about any of her videos and yet she nets 1 mil+ on each one.

It's something that I don't get but at the same time, I just don't care. I subscribe to what I like, search for the random videos that appeal to me and everything else matters not.

Basically all of the YouTube celebrities that their entire thing is reporting celebrity gossip and random stories(sxephil, Ray William Johnson, countless others) are just the worst.

And PewDiePie. I try not to rage about him as much as others here, but I do find it abhorrent that someone like him has 4million+ subscribers for his...take on comedy.

There has to be some hidden joke that I've missed out on when it comes to that guy, honestly.

Yeah this is a problem where it's the audience to blame, not the "Celebrity" in question.

They're just making content and having fun, they don't exactly make themselves popular, the audience did. Getting angry at them for their popularity is silly since they're just pleasing the masses and you can't get made at them for doing that.

Just ignore them and avoid their videos, stop giving them attention and they'll fade away soon enough. I barely even see videos by these youtube celebrities anyway because of that reason.

The Amazing Atheist, though that one's been kind of obvious ever since Redditgate.

Yeah, I don't care how many other people say Pew Die Pie, but I'm saying it too.
I'm not someone who "hates" on people because he enjoys doing it- I just don't understand why that guy is so popular.
He incoherently rambles while playing video games- he doesn't even really seem to attempt saying anything funny, he just squeals and swears a lot.
Then again, he does have over 4 million subscribers, so I'm the one missing something... right?

Ray William Johnson.

"Look at me, guys! I browsed on reddit for 5 minutes, took this guy's fail video, added 'hi-larious' commentary on it with jump cuts in between each syllable, and added even more commentary in post! Aren't I special?!"

This video sums up his ilk pretty well:

If that video annoys you at first, just wait until :35.

PewDiePie.
He is a cancer on the Youtube community.
All he does is scream into a microphone, and whose word of the day calendar seems to be stuck permanently on 'rape.'

boots:
The Amazing Atheist, though that one's been kind of obvious ever since Redditgate.

I'd like more of an explanation on this one. What exactly are you referencing?

OT:
I'm going to sound like a massive hipster, but any of the "mainstream" gaming people other than TotalBiscuit.

Pewdie, Toby, Nova, all of them. They do nothing but dilute and shame the culture I love.

Tobuscus is an especially sad case for me. I checked out a few videos and generally hated it as it was the most PC kid friendly bullshit imaginable. But then I went back and watched some of his old videos and they were FUNNY! He made good jokes and he wasn't afraid of what he said. He then sold his soul in order to become more mainstream.

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing for copious amounts of money, but whenever I see him do some idiotic thing, I can see the real guy inside in pain from having to do it.

The Yogscast, I can't count how many times they've given their audience for more profitable pastures.

The WoW videos and old Yogpod in which they'd just talk about the weather and prank call their friends were great.
I was okay when they gave the WoW audience the finger to make Shadow of Israphel videos because they were pretty funny and the Yogpod was relatively unchanged.
Then they gave the SoI audience the finger in favour of Minecraft mod spotlights and custom maps.
Last I checked they'd all but replaced Minecraft with Let's Plays.

boots:

What's this Redditgate?

I used to like him but unsubscribed when I felt he had begun dumbing his videos down to attract a larger audience (plus being a non-American all that election nonsense grew tiring fast)

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

boots:

BanicRhys:
What's this Redditgate?

Short version: He said this to a rape victim, ostensibly to try and prove that PTSD triggers aren't a real thing.

Even many of his most diehard fans were kind of horrified by it. He quit Reddit and lost a whole bunch of subscribers on Youtube.

Meh, I Guess I'll ramble off the same list I always do:

Sxephil, RayWilliamJohnson, the Amazing Atheist, Pewdiepie, Tobuscus, Ijustine, KassemG and the like

IMO, their all either bandwagoning, Intolerant of others, Fakes, or just using stupid humor to shill, pander and get views. Usually some combination of all Four. However, Really to each their own, who am I to say that someones choice of channel is wrong when its just Opinion anyway?

Shout out to some GOOD channels though (not that some really need the help at all, just want to add some positivity): Quill18, OMFGCata, Damo2986, SapphirePhoenix08, and ElderGeekdotcom

boots:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

boots:

BanicRhys:
What's this Redditgate?

Short version: He said this to a rape victim, ostensibly to try and prove that PTSD triggers aren't a real thing.

Even many of his most diehard fans were kind of horrified by it. He quit Reddit and lost a whole bunch of subscribers on Youtube.

Meh, doesn't change my opinion on the guy.

People get mad and say crazy shit on the internet. TJ just made the mistake of not doing it somewhere anonymous.

Plus, he took the time to write a formal apology.

Thanks for the info.

I can list my least favourite YouTube "celebrities" quite easily:
RayWilliamJohnson. Need I say why I hate his videos, or is it obvious due to the post above, as well as the fact that he is oblivious to the fact that he is not in any way funny, or entertaining in particular?

The Annoying Orange. Do I really have to explain this one?

Now, there's plenty more, but I can't be arsed to list every single one right now.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

It only changed my opinion of him in the sense of giving me even more reason to dislike him than I already had.

I stopped watching his videos a long time ago anyway, but Redditgate at least meant that people started referencing him a lot less often.

boots:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

It only changed my opinion of him in the sense of giving me even more reason to dislike him than I already had.

I stopped watching his videos a long time ago anyway, but Redditgate at least meant that people started referencing him a lot less often.

If that's the way you feel.

I've liked him for some time and something as meaningless as angry internet comments isn't going to change that.

boots:

Ive seen his famous "its ok if a woman does it!" video

people like that it makes it REALLY hard to take what points he may have seriously...because he goes off and acts like a CUN-you know the rest, I get mysoganist vibes but...eh

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

If that's the way you feel.

I've liked him for some time and something as meaningless as angry internet comments isn't going to change that.

meaningless?

you dont have to ahte the guy but I dont see how his rants were "meaningless" even if people say things online it doesnt mean those things in no way reflect them as a person, the gut was acting like a dick

Vault101:

boots:

Ive seen his famous "its ok if a woman does it!" video

people like that it makes it REALLY hard to take what points he may have seriously...because he goes off and acts like a CUN-you know the rest, I get mysoganist vibes but...eh

^This

Well, that, and him also Blasting everyone who believes points contrary of his. Strangely enough, a man who's sole purpose is to yell into a camera dosent have much use for tolerance or subtlety...

"The *Subjective value* big Youtubers"
If they managed to get the views, they are doing something right. People on this forum need to learn that just because you disagree with something on a subjective level, doesn't make it wrong.

Ray William Johnson, PewDiePie, Annoying Orange and Smosh.

RWJ because he provides really useless 'frat boy' style commentary on otherwise decent videos.

PDP for any reason listed above by others.

Annoying Orange because he is too annoying to exist.

Smosh because they fell down hill after the first few months of 2012.

That's all I can think of For now.

I don't really think of big Youtubers as inherently evil. For the sake of answering the OP though, I'd say the worst are just the most infamous ones. Heck, I still watch some Smosh skits from time to time, and occasionally find them funny.

But seriously, as much as people call them talent-less hacks who don't deserve the attention they get, they obviously did something at one point or another that captivated people enough to build a giant fan-base. They didn't just suddenly develop a huge following out of nowhere on someone else's merit. If that were the case for someone though, then yeah, their attention would be undeserved, but not if they earned it by producing something that people like.

And people aren't just mindless followers, if something is truly without any sort of worth, then most people would probably stop watching, and unsubscribe. If they are still garnering large amounts of views and subscribers, then obviously they are doing something right. I'm sorry, but I find the notion that "they don't deserve the attention they get", or even worse, "They are stealing views from Youtubers who deserve them" to sound incredibly pretentious and stupid.

Also, if someone is truly putting out quality content, then I doubt people won't take notice of it. It may take a while, but people will eventually spread the word around enough until they have developed the viewership they deserve. I think it silly to say that they deserve more viewers and subscribers as if they are entitled to them just because you prefer them.

eh. none of them are bad enough to care about. my least favorite is shane dawson cause he seems like a megadouche. but i dont care beyond avoiding most videos with him. the ones that annoy me the most are the ones who form thier entire personality around screaming and acting like a child who hasnt met thier parents and have sugar rushing through thier veins. (pewdepie)

Pretty much anyone who rose fame doing stupid parody music video of popular songs.

Its a cheap way to get Youtube fame.

Youtube person I do like? CommunityChannel. Tell me that you don't like her. I dare you.

Berithil:
It's not just Youtube. All you need to do is look at cinema and television and you'll see the same thing. Why is it that Jersey Shore gets 7 (or is it 8?) seasons, and yet Firefly gets cancelled before they finish their first?

timeslot.
stop asking questions rhetorically when they have answers

I remember a time when every other post of this topic would be "Fred". Now no-one gives a crap about him. It's funny, really.

To answer the question, I don't really keep track of who's who on Youtube anymore. Besides, it's Youtube. Not a site full of quality videos, but rather the other way around. If a bunch of people watch someone, then I'll check them out, and if I don't like them, I won't watch anymore. I didn't answer the question, did I?

I think the people we choose to idolize on the internet, T.V, and in politics speaks a lot more of the dysfunction of society than the providers. And the truth is, I don't think any of us are an exception to promoting something that's bad. If we don't promote a hack youtube celebrity, then chances are we're promoting a shitty product, a terrible person, or an untalented musician. With that said, here's what I don't understand:

1. Pewdiepiepie

I'M SHOUTING INTO A MICROPHONE. I'M RAPING YOU. I'M RAPING YOU. AAAAAAAAAGH I'M SCARED! EEEEEEEEEH!

2. Fred

Gasp! It's an obnoxious kid speaking with his voice sped up. I assume there are four main demographics here: 1. Adults that think it's adorable. 2. Pedophiles. 3. Kids with no actual sense of humor. 4. Parents who show it to their kids with no actual sense of humor because it's inoffensive.

3. Crowder

I don't know, I just hate the guy. He comes across as an overly smug douchebag that 'thinks' he's funny. I don't agree with everything Lee Doran says, but at least he doesn't speak in unwitty slogans and have that douchebag air around him.

I don't particularly care for Ray William Johnson, but at least he puts work into his videos, even if the show is basically a parasite that prays on popular videos.

mysecondlife:
Youtube person I do like? CommunityChannel. Say you don't like her. I dare you.

Her face looks too oily.

Therefore I dislike her.

DeltaEdge:
And people aren't just mindless followers, if something is truly without any sort of worth, then most people would probably stop watching, and unsubscribe. If they are still garnering large amounts of views and subscribers, then obviously they are doing something right.

Sadly no, these people are very much mindless followers, because we all have a monkey inside us that gets easily amused by poop tossing and equally inventive stuff, it takes a certain level of restraint to put the foot down and say no we need to move on from that.

But those "stars" are indeed doing something right, that is encouraging and hitting that monkey brain demographic that just wants to wallow in stupidity.

boots:

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:

boots:

BanicRhys:
What's this Redditgate?

Holy shit... I disliked him because I found him to be annoying and extremely immature, but this is a whole new level of d-baggery. He seems to embody all the worst aspects of the internet in a single individual.

Anyone who has a picture of their overreacting face shopped over over whatever they are going to talk about for 90% of their thumbnails (Smosh's channel can burn in a hole and I'll just leave it at that). Usually whatever these people do you can tell they are just acting the way they are for the views. Pewdiepie is a major offender for this. Tried watching a lets play and barely got though half. Tried watching a different one and barely got through a quarter.
There is a reason I watch Mangaminx and other people for my horror lets plays and thats because they actually play the game and their reactions are genuine. If I wanted to watch a poor actor pretend to be scared I would watch Trolls 2.

Toby Turner, while his style is similar to Pewdiepie, is the exact opposite. He is obviously acting out a persona. He made this incredibly manic version of himself and everything that happens is filtered through that character. When he overreacts to stuff going on its not "Oh if I freak out here I get more views" its "Here is where my character would freak out." Which makes all the difference. In short Pewdiepie acts things out while Tobuscus is an actor. Its just my opinion though so don't quote me on this.

Yogscast similarly doesn't register on my ragedar. In fact I really like the channel. While their antics could have easily turned into a really annoying video channel it didn't. They don't act like superstars or act like they are the best thing on youtube, they act exactly like what they are which is like a breath of fresh air compared to a lot of other popular youtube channels. Also I enjoy the back and forth between Simon and Lewis and CO. They are so self aware and laid back that it is easy to connect with them and their characters.

Fred just kinda dropped off the internet and into his own movies and a TV show, to the later I wish to ask, "WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND GREENLIT THIS?" I was pretty much forced to watch half an episode and by god it was the most horrid 15-20 minutes of my entire life. It literally felt like my brain was drowning. I felt so bad for everyone who had to be roped into its production as they stood there, glassy eyed, and lacking any sort of enthusiasm, just going through the motions as this supermanic manchild leapt through the set with a big grin on his face claiming to be an alien. Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

Yogscast. Luckily I never come across Ray William Johnson, iJustine, etc. all too often, but I do come across Yogscast often...And honestly, I don't get why they're popular. Their jokes never amuse me, and the only time I could really bare watching them was to see a Let's Play of a Tom & Jerry Minecraft adventure mod. There's was the only one up at the time, and I wanted some video evidence of how good the mod was.

The mod was great; the commentary not so much.

But even with that, I don't hate them, I just don't like them nor understand their popularity. But that's just me.

fight back by creating better stuff and spreading it around, Bam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vaBugHKn3U, there's a decent video that took awhile to make. or even support some of the more informative channels like pmr rants or Drift0r, there's great quality stuff out there you just have to be more vocal in your support of it than your hate for the big boys.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked