Games Ponies Play

As to not preclude the people who don't watch MLP, I'll explain the episode in 'real life' terms.

The Olympics Game Inspector is going to a newly reformed nation in order to see if the Olympics can be held there. This is, obviously, considered a big deal and the main characters want to do their best to please the Inspector. All they're told is that the Inspector has floral print luggage. So predictably, they mistake a random nobody for the Inspector on account of her luggage. So they treat the random traveler very nicely, and the Inspector is left to wait at the train station, then get thrown around, get drenched in street water, etc.

At the end of the episode, the Inspector meets up with the random nobody that got the tour and told her that this was the worst inspection that she'd ever had the misfortune of going on. But the random nobody went on and on about how wonderful everyone was, how warm her reception was, etc etc. So then the Inspector learns that the head of the nation is in the spa that they're currently in, so she goes to find her- and does, just as the main characters show up. She admonishes the Head, so one of the main characters yells that they had given the tour/reception to the wrong person. So then the Inspector's attitude takes a hard 180 and she says that she's letting the Games be held there because she was tired of everyone sucking up to her whenever she came to visit, so she never got to see the 'real' thing.

But...her trip had been awful. The 'real' nation was, in her experience, awful. And then they readily admitted that they had planned on sucking up to her, but they were too incompetent to bother seeing if they had the right person before dragging them off. That conclusion made zero sense to me. Can anyone try to explain it?

Yes, happy endings.

Like it or not, and I don't mean this as a dig, but MLP has a target audience of young children ... mainly girls ... who like happy endings.

Had it been aimed at older folk it would probably have ended in a more "realistic" manner.

Rawne1980:
Yes, happy endings.

Like it or not, and I don't mean this as a dig, but MLP has a target audience of young children ... mainly girls ... who like happy endings.

Had it been aimed at older folk it would probably have ended in a more "realistic" manner.

I'd like to know why people find it so hard to believe that a cartoon, one based around colorful talking animals no less, is going to break away from the normal laws of reality and be all cheerful instead.

Call me when a six-year old says that's not how it should've ended.

Rawne1980:
Yes, happy endings.

shrekfan246:

Rawne1980:
Yes, happy endings.

I'd like to know why people find it so hard to believe that a cartoon, one based around colorful talking animals no less, is going to break away from the normal laws of reality and be all cheerful instead.

Call me when a six-year old says that's not how it should've ended.

That would have been fine had they not gone waaay out of the way to show just how miserable the Inspector was, and how much fate seemed to hate her. Since presumably the writers wrote the entire plot, there's not really a reason for there to have been such a disconnect? They could have easily had her have a fine/average time.

Kopikatsu:

That would have been fine had they not gone waaay out of the way to show just how miserable the Inspector was, and how much fate seemed to hate her. Since presumably the writers wrote the entire plot, there's not really a reason for there to have been such a disconnect? They could have easily had her have a fine/average time.

Wouldn't it have defeated the point, and been more boring to watch, to have a mediocre time instead of a terrible time?

Remember the audience they're actually writing for. Slapstick comedy is generally pretty appealing to younger audiences, and the easiest way to use slapstick is to have something or someone on the butt-end of the "joke". Obviously I'm speaking as a person with no knowledge of how it actually played out, but I'm assuming the general tone of the episode was not doom and gloom, with a sad walk through the rain as they stare down at the sidewalk.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here