Can we agree on a concrete definition of Sexism (or isms in general) before we throw it around?

So what is Sexism?

sex·ism
/ˈsekˌsizəm/
Noun
Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

You can see by this definition that Sexism is representing(stereotyping) an entire sex rather than representing a sex as a collection of individuals who happen to be members of the sex.

You will notice that this definition does not include how big someone's boobs are or whether they happen to dress in a certain fashion.

So how does this relate to video games?
We have to make a distinction when judging whether something is sexist on whether that something is making a generalization about all women or portraying an individual. So when we look at a video game we have to examine the game to determine whether the female characters in the game are a representation of females as a whole in that game's universe or whether the female characters are distinct individuals.

Most controversies in video games recently seem to focus around the portrayal of individuals rather than whether those individuals represent women as a whole and as such constitute making a sexist representation of women.

What about these trailers depicting women being physically battered by men?
Context is everything in these situations. Is the trailer saying "All women are weak beings who exist to be dominated by men." or is the trailer depicting a struggle between 2 individuals one of whom happens to be a woman? When making this assessment you have to take the game itself into question because showing Laura Croft as an individual who is initially ill equipped for the troubles that befall her is different than portraying all women as inept punching bags.

So how do you tell whether the game is portraying an individual or making a stereotype of the sex?
You have to take the game's universe into account. Are the women shown the only women in the entire game or are there other women? Are the women shown implied to be the norm or are they treated as individuals? Is the women's failing/triumph an individual failing/triumph or is it implied to be a result of her sex? There are many factors to take into account.

Blargh, this whole "Define [Insert Buzzword here]" topic has been done to death, just look how many sexism ones there are alone

As for your "question" words change meaning over time, just look at the word gay, it used to mean happy and now it means homosexual. Also that definition says "typically against women" which simply means they are the most common victims of sexism, men are still victims of sexism but simply aren't the majority of cases.

So there we go all sexism means so far is to "Prejudice, stereotype, or discriminate on the basis of sex/gender". Just remove that "typically against women" part and we're gold.

Keoul:
Blargh, this whole "Define [Insert Buzzword here]" topic has been done to death, just look how many sexism ones there are alone

As for your "question" words change meaning over time, just look at the word gay, it used to mean happy and now it means homosexual. Also that definition says "typically against women" which simply means they are the most common victims of sexism, men are still victims of sexism but simply aren't the majority of cases.

So there we go all sexism means so far is to "Prejudice, stereotype, or discriminate on the basis of sex/gender". Just remove that "typically against women" part and we're gold.

It's the definition that shows up on google so that's the one I used. The "Typically" section of the definition doesn't change the definition.

Edit: The reason I made this topic is because I keep seeing people in other threads involving sexism saying stuff like "This is sexist because this character is dressed provocatively" which is the wrong approach and so I decided to make a topic to outline the actual definition of Sexism to remind these people.

Xenedus:

It's the definition that shows up on google so that's the one I used. The "Typically" section of the definition doesn't change the definition.

So what's the problem?
Without the "typical" section it wouldn't be stereotyping an entire sex. I'm getting confused... Are you trying to say that people are claiming sexism for the wrong reasons such as female characters having big busts and skimpy outfits? if so I apologize I must of misinterpreted that post.

Keoul:

Xenedus:

So what's the problem?
Without the "typical" section it wouldn't be stereotyping an entire sex. I'm getting confused...

When I said "The "Typically" section of the definition doesn't change the definition." I meant that if you removed "typically against women" from the definition I listed the definition is still functionally exactly the same. The "typically against women" clause just gives people some context because otherwise you could interpret the "sex" in the definition as "The act of sexual intercourse" rather than "Gender".

Are you trying to say that people are claiming sexism for the wrong reasons such as female characters having big busts and skimpy outfits? if so I apologize I must of misinterpreted that post.

I am saying that many people claiming "This is sexist" are using reasons like "This character is blatantly sexualized" or "This is made to appeal to males" which has nothing to do with the actual definition of sexism. So yes your summary is consistent with my post.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked