83.1% (207)
Your hearing
8.8% (22)
8.8% (22)
Your voice
8% (20)
8% (20)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Which Is Worse.. Losing Your Sight, Hearing, or Voice?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Have you ever thought about the fact our senses are very important to us?
We use them daily, and without them it would be immensely hard to live a regular life. There are people who were born or are blind, deaf, or cannot speak that can live just fine but imagine if one day you were to lose one of your senses...

Let's imagine you contained a disease that over the course of a few years or shortly overall, you would lose one of your primary senses. Our main ones is sight and hearing, along the fact speaking is major in society's standards. So out of these, which one would you find the worst to lose? For me, it would be sight because i'm artistic therefore to lose my sight would mean it'd be torture to most likely never see any drawings or beauty in life again.

Question: What would be the worst for you to lose... sight, hearing, or voice (as in you become mute).

I remember reading a story by a guy whose blindness devastated him. He lost his Job that he loved because he couldn't do it without his eyesight. He even contemplated suicide since his unemployment was causing stress for the rest of his family.

The epiphany he had was when he was in church. He was able to listen to the music more clearly than he ever had before. It "filled his mind and soul" and knew he would never have experienced it if he had never gone blind. he chose to begrudgingly see it as a painful blessing. "If this is a blessing, its not a blessing I would wish on anyone else, but I don't regret it."

I know that wasn't really what you asked, but his story was cool. I think it shows that just because something is painful, its not necessarily bad.

I personally am not sure what I would do if I lost any of those things. I think it would either make or break me.

I could cope without my voice. It wouldn't even bother me a great deal. I don't talk too much, and it would give me a good excuse to ignore people I don't like. I could even cope without my hearing, although I wouldn't want to. My vision however, I probably couldn't live without.

I don't see many people saying anything other than sight.

Losing your voice isn't even much of a problem for quiet people, and hearing (whilst horrible to lose) is still a lot easier to cope with than blindness.

I think losing your eyesight would be the worst, followed by hearing. I could cope with not being able to speak a lot better than the other two as I can still at least perceive the world around me just as clearly as before. I can still fully enjoy art and entertainment for one thing.

Being blind easily, being deaf or mute you can use sign language or other means like writting to communicate, but we rely on our sight for so much.

Losing one sense can reduce the effectiveness of the other senses, so this might be a bit simplistic. I'd have to say sight would be the worst though. I don't really talk that much and wouldn't care about hearing too much as I would be able to adapt to that. But not being able to see would be horrible.

Caramel Frappe:
Question: What would be the worst for you to lose... sight, hearing, or voice (as in you become mute).

Ooooo... toughie... though had you rephrased that question as 'born with no (insert as necessary)', being born blind is so much easier a life. Born deaf necessarily means born unable to speak and it takes a lot longer to be able to read/write (AFAIK).

Anyway, for most of my hobbies, my sight is very important, more so than my other senses, so I'd most like go with the norm with that one and say I'd least like to go blind. Learning braille (since I like reading too much) seems like it'd be really difficult for an adult and the books I enjoy reading probably wouldn't be published in braille... :( And no gaming, of course...

At least with going deaf, I won't have to put up with people shouting at me... *shrug*

Sight, no question about it. I could live as a mute or even learn sign language (this applies with being deaf). But if I couldn't read ever again... or just see myself in a mirror I don't know how I'd keep going honestly. Sight is THE most important sense we have I would think.

I'd prefer to lose my voice, although like another person said, if I was born without one I'd prefer it to be sight. I spend a lot of time thinking about what would happen to me if I lost a limb or a sense, for some reason. Once, I blindfolded myself for an entire day to see what it was like. Surprisingly not too difficult, although I'm sure that's only the case in my own home. Anywhere else and I'd be having a lot of problems, not knowing where anything is.

Of those three, I'd rather lose my voice. I can still function without it. The worst would be going blind - I'd still be distraught if I became deaf but losing my sight is much worse.

Like those before me, sight is probably the sense I'd be most loathe to lose. Muteness...yeah, it would be annoying to some extent, but it's certainly not insurmountable and on scale seems a comparatively minor inconvenience. Hearing would be far more of an issue due to how it actively affects perception and forces me to adopt different communication methods to even understand other people, and I'd quickly come to miss music...but losing sight...that just seems far worse to me simply due to just how much we rely on that single sense.

Dang it! I picked the wrong option, I took voice instead of sight. I'd rather lose my voice than my sight or hearing, hands down. In the end, as long as I don't lose my eyesight I'm happy (relatively speaking).

I feel like I could live without my voice, even though that would mean no more singing in the shower, because there are still other ways for me to communicate. Losing my sight or go deaf represents a huge increase of vulnerability since I would lose my most important perception senses. And I can't deal with the thought of NOT being able to perceive what's going on around me...

I could live with being blind or deaf.
I'm a creative individual, and would turn more to music in the earlier instance and visual art in the latter.
However, I probably couldn't stand being both all of a sudden. Though if I was all three, that could be a good opportunity to legally change my name to Helter S. Kelter (my perceived masculine variant of "Helen Keller").

As for being mute, I could live with that easily.
I know for certain that there's been a few days where I haven't said a thing. Though they've certainly been far apart...

Was a hard choice between sight and hearing, but I went with hearing. I like music too much to give it up. A bit irrational I suppose, since objectively it would be easier to get by having lost hearing rather than sight, but I stand by my choice.

Any of the three would be a terrible loss.

For me, personally, it would be sight. Even though I love music, I have memorized a large collection of songs that I know by heart, and I could just be able to "hear" them in my head. Not being able to speak would definitely suck, but I'm an awesome writer, so communication wouldn't be a problem, just a tedious one.

Unless I develop the ability to see/sense things like Neo from The Matrix, it would really be a let down. Especially since Marvel is releasing some awesome movies and so is Nolan.

Sight and hearing. I pretty much go though most of the day without talking anyway, so it'd be a minor loss for me. :P

Sight is definitely the worst, as we human beings use it the most and I dare say it is our most advanced sense.

If your eyesight is taken away, you lose pretty much everything.

Absolutely sight. Losing your voice or hearing would be bad, but nothing would compare to total blindness. Too much lost, too much importance on sight. I know there's some compromises, but honestly, if I were suddenly blinded, I think it would be one of the few situations in which I would genuinely contemplate suicide.

It's been said several times already, but I'll say it again, just for the hell of it. Losing my sight would be devastating. I could live without ever talking again. Losing my voice would probably be the easier of the three to lose. Losing my hearing would be tough, but I could learn to live with it. 90% of my time is spent on activities that require sight. Considering I'm not exactly the most mentally stable person, I'd probably end up killing myself.

I think sight would be terrifying for me. I need sight pretty much.

Sound would be a close second, and voice...well, they have computers for that these days.

It would be a toss up between sight and hearing. How do you describe colours to a blind person? How do you describe music to a deaf person? I love listening to music and seeing the world around me, either loss would be devastating.

In the end, I'd say hearing would be the worst to lose of those three. Music is such an important part of my life, I don't know what I'd do without it.

Sight.

I like my voice and with the dream of being a voice actor, that'd suck. But I don't necessarily need it to communicate. It's by far the least awful to have to lose.

Hearing would be tough. But when I think about it, the most unfortunate part of it is not enjoying music. After all, captions and sign language mean I can still enjoy TV and communicate.

But sight? I just can't think of life without my sight. Being unable to see anything.

Hearing, because you practically lose your voice too (if you've ever heard a deaf person speak, you know where I'm coming from.)

Losing sight would suck, obviously, but I think I could still do alright picturing the world around me based on what I've seen so far, and being able to hear everything around me would still allow me to flesh out my surroundings. And I don't think I could go mute (either by hearing or voice). I just couldn't.

I think losing my hearing would be worst for me. I love music more than anything else and to never be able to hear it again would be devastating. I don't think people realise just how much they rely on hearing too even just to do simple tasks like walking down the street. Plus, I hope to be a psychologist so I need to be able to listen to people. Losing my voice would be easiest, I'm a pretty quiet anyway and there's many different ways to talk to people.

SanAndreasSmoke:
Hearing, because you practically lose your voice too (if you've ever heard a deaf person speak, you know where I'm coming from.)

Losing sight would suck, obviously, but I think I could still do alright picturing the world around me based on what I've seen so far, and being able to hear everything around me would still allow me to flesh out my surroundings. And I don't think I could go mute (either by hearing or voice). I just couldn't.

Actually those deaf people you are referring to when they speak strange are people who were born deaf and thus have never quite learned to speak properly, if you are able to speak fine before you lose your hearing your speech will be relatively unaffected, though you will tend to yell a bit until you come to grips with the fact that you cant hear your own words.

Edit: Whoops for the OP: Everything I do and enjoy is based on sight, so that would be by far the worst for me, to the point I would likely just off myself. Hearing, there are ways around that with subtitles and the like, and mute, well I have no problem typing so that would be the least of my problems!

As a software developer, loosing my sight would be a huge hindrance, and would probably cost me my livelihood. However, deafness, for me, would be even more miserable, since I love music, and couldn't spend a day without listening to something. Losing my voice, however, would not be a huge issue to me. Most people I speak with are usually by a computer, and I type almost as fast as I would talk anyways, so the inability to speak would almost be a negligible hindrance in most cases.

Desert Punk:

SanAndreasSmoke:

Actually those deaf people you are referring to when they speak strange are people who were born deaf and thus have never quite learned to speak properly, if you are able to speak fine before you lose your hearing your speech will be relatively unaffected, though you will tend to yell a bit until you come to grips with the fact that you cant hear your own words.

Edit: Whoops for the OP: Everything I do and enjoy is based on sight, so that would be by far the worst for me, to the point I would likely just off myself. Hearing, there are ways around that with subtitles and the like, and mute, well I have no problem typing so that would be the least of my problems!

This is mostly true. If you lose your hearing, it does become a bit more difficult to mentally register what you are saying, since you can't hear your own volume and pitch. You will be mostly unaffected, but you will be more likely to be louder or softer than you should be in a given situation, more might say a particular word in a slightly different manner. The difference, however, is small enough that most people won't even notice.

Desert Punk:

SanAndreasSmoke:

That's true. I'll blame my drowsiness on my not thinking of that before posting. Still, I get the feeling that as years would go by without me hearing my own voice, I would slowly lose my ability to enunciate my words properly. It'd probably be a while though.

Should I lose my sight, and not see the beauty of the world and what I can make of it? Or should I lose my hearing, and miss out on the yelps of joy as I work? Perhaps I could lose my voice, at the cost of missing out on the ascending groans that would be made. Frankly, if I must choose, I'd choose my voice, because I don't need to scream to have a good time.

Voice would be my first option, followed by sight, then hearing. My voice gives nothing, and I do not really appreciate what my eyes see...but I do value my ears.

I couldn't live without my hearing. Music and sound are the most important things in life to me. I mean, if I couldn't listen to the Persona 4 soundtrack ever again, I'd be super duper sad. :(

Sight would be the runner up. Not being able to watch animation would be a pain in the rump.

I could easily do without my voice. I'm not a very talkative person.

Losing your sight is pretty bad. I did an expirement for a "student with difficulties" class. The teacher had us put covered googles so we'd only see pitch black and he made us walk within the university for 15 minutes. It was funny for 2 minutes. It got annoying after 5 minutes. After 10, I was getting angry. At the end, I was just happy that I had an eyesight. Anyone who's blind has my sympathy.

He did the same thing for hearing with giant earmuffs. I was only a little annoyed, but never had the same shock as "losing my eyesight".

Never had duct tape on my mouth. Although, I do love to rant sometime....Also, I would probably lose my teaching career if I didn't had a voice.

In retrospect, losing my eyesight or losing my voice would be pretty bad.

Losing my voice would cause the least problems. I'm mostly an internet dweller, and I can still type while mute. I just wouldn't be able to communicate out loud. While there would still be a few communication issues, with a pen and paper, or a computer, I could mitigate most of the problems that come with muteness better than I could those that come with blindness or deafness. Without my voice, I'd still have all of my senses, as well, so I'd still be able to process all of the information about my surroundings like I can now.

Besides, I can still play most video games without my voice. Every game relies on sight, and more than a few on hearing.

Definitely voice, no matter what it is I'm getting a massive kick in the balls potential-wise. I can still communicate while mute but if I'm blind or deaf there is no ready substitute.

Random Argument Man:

Never had duct tape on my mouth. Although, I do love to rant sometime....Also, I would probably lose my teaching career if I didn't had a voice.

In retrospect, losing my eyesight or losing my voice would be pretty bad.

Well, they always need teachers to teach children that are deaf, so you could become a teacher who uses sign language to interact with his students?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here