OkCupid Tumblrs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

*raises his hand*

Uhh, just a little side note: That's a Trilby, this is a Fedora:

OT: I've never really seen these before, it it seems like pretentious dating asshole website/s of the century.

f1r2a3n4k5:
Not cool. Dating makes you vulnerable. It's kind of cruel to peck at these vulnerabilities. These are people putting themselves out there in search of love and being openly mocked; for what? Their choice of hat? Is the world really an elementary school yard in maturity?

The fedora site does seem a little callous. But the other ones, in which the guys act like total asshats and then wonder why they aren't getting dates is a good reminder on manners for people who actually want to find someone.

ive seen those. the guys that make it on there deserve to be made fun of. frankly i dont see why this would make you so upset unless youre afraid youre going end up on there. the only guys ive seen on there are creepers and assholes. dont be a creeper or an asshole.

maybe you dont realize how many fucked up messages women get on there, on a daily basis

People don't like leg hair;

WAT MISOGYNISTS AM I RITE GUYS

People have a preference for dating their own race;

FUCKING RACIST STOP TRYING TO KEEP EVERYONE ELSE DOWN GOD

Seriously, these are fucking stupid.

The only tumblrs I follow of (exclusively)okcupid is one and it's basically the men(and very rarely women, I don't know if they just don't get submitted or what but I do know some women are just as bad if not worse than some of these men)who sit there and send sexually explicit messages or harassment messages to women. And 99% of the time the user name is actually blocked out(since they're screen caps of the messages). And as a woman who has gotten both of these(and not just on "dating" sites but on social media sites and forum sites as well) it is nice to see these douchebags showcased. The other one I follow is the annuls of online dating or something like that...too tired to look it up to link and it's a showcase of ALL dating sites and not only that but the messages get rated on coherency, grammar, how sexually explicit they are, etc....I just wish people like that realised how rude, offensive, disrespectful, and hurtful of others they are.

boots:

So these Tumblrs not only highlight some of the aforementioned "nice guys" and show how their perception of themselves might be a little skewed, they also demonstrate that women don't just date assholes by showcasing the assholes who can't seem to get dates.

I would like to point out with this photo that these types of guys, most of us can't stand. ESPECIALLY if you're going to judge solely on weight. As someone who looked anorexic when they were 16 but was still considered "medically overweight" that's downright insulting. Especially when weight should be a case by case basis on what is overweight. I can promise that if I weighed what I "should" weigh I'd look like I was dying from some sort of sickness and it wouldn't look right(though cultural perception would say that I look hotter that way but I'd also lose all self-respect I have for myself as well).

I would like to go on record as saying I like trilbys (the "fedoras" in question) and think they look neat if you can pull one off.

Secondly, I had a look at a couple of Tumblrs like these a while ago - possibly one of the ones that's since been taken down, and I have to say I was mightily disappointed. None of the examples made me laugh, a few made me despair but most of them just made me cringe. The author spent more time arguing (badly) with his/her critics and it all came off as a little aggressive. I get the point the Tumblrs are trying to make, and I support it really, but I'm thinking perhaps it could be done better. People of Walmart style, rather than an angry blogger desperately trying to make his/her point and flailing under the weight of offended mobs.

Freezy_Breezy:
People don't like leg hair;

WAT MISOGYNISTS AM I RITE GUYS

"I don't like leg hair" = not sexist

"I don't like leg hair therefore all women are obligated to keep their legs shaved at all times" = sexist.

Nuance, baby.

Realitycrash:

General Twinkletoes:

Realitycrash:

You said it, but there's still mocking people for their looks. And that isn't alright.

Well, fashion sense, but I get what you mean.

I also found this:
"- have you ever had emails over this????? omg i think i'm being sued
niceguysofokc-deactivated201301

- yes actually tumblr took one of my photos down cuz one of the fedoras complained about him being on my blog :c i hope u dont get sued we arent rly breaking the law??"

I am fairly certain that slander is considered breaking the law, and I am sure SOMEONE of all the men posted have a case for it.

Slander itself isn't so much of defaming a person as it is lying to maliciously destroy their reputation. If you were to say "I love abortions!", and I took your picture and put that up, and you sued me, I could show all I was doing was connecting something you said to your picture. While it may damage your reputation, the fault would still fall on you.

Secondly, it comes in the question of "how far was your reputation damaged?". Are these blogs THAT popular? Are they getting put onto Yahoo! News, CNN News, etc. to the point where you're losing jobs, relationships, etc. over the picture? I highly doubt it.

Thirdly, you're confusing slander with libel. Slander is verbal, libel is anything written. The internet still counts as writing. I know it's nitpicking, and someone could sue for "slander & libel", but if they only picked slander, this simple fact could get their case thrown out. =P

But nonetheless, Tumblr doesn't want bad publicity, and as the domain holder, they have the right to remove these accounts as it seems they've been doing.

MajorTomServo:
There are many things on the internet that make me rage, and a few that make my blood boil. One such trend is OkCupid Tumblrs. Blogs such as Fedoras of OKC, OKC Gold Mine, and formerly Nice Guys of OKC (before they were shut down) like to post pics of random people (98% men) and show off what dicks/losers they are to the delight of hipster girls everywhere.

hipster girls?...I dont...

wahts the connection there?

anyway alot of thease guys do kind of look like ass holes....exept the cute one taking a self mirror photo....too much nasty judging going on there

perhaps overall negativity isnt a good thing

EDIT: some of them really arent that bad though....

It has always been okay to mock assholes. Fortunately, we live in the information age and it is easy to mock these assholes on a larger scale than ever before, especially when they self-identify as assholes.
Here's the problem with these tumblrs though, not all of these guys are assholes. Some of them have an incredibly poor sense of humor. Some of them appear to be dumb as rocks. Some of them seem to just have a poor self-image/low self esteem. I mean, there's a guy on the first page now of the second link with a quote about not knowing why he's always hurt or friend-zoned or both. You don't mock that, doing so just makes you the asshole.

And another good reason for me not to bother with online dating.

Also, yes, I get it, we're all fed up with the "nice guy" trend, can we stop railing on them so much now? It's starting to feel like I'm being called an asshole for not being able to get a girlfriend, instead of not being able to get a girlfriend because I'm an asshole.

Which I'm not an asshole. There's plenty wrong with me, I'm paranoid, downright crazy, ugly as fuck, and generally crap at being anything close to "smooth" and that is why I can't get a girlfriend, but I'm not an outright asshole. Fine, tell me it's my fault, which it is, but don't call me an asshole because of it.

JemothSkarii:
*raises his hand*

Uhh, just a little side note: That's a Trilby, this is a Fedora:

OT: I've never really seen these before, it it seems like pretentious dating asshole website/s of the century.

By the way, I'd just like to state, I really want a fedora. However, I cannot find one anywhere near afforably, so I had to settle for an imitation leather trilby. This makes me sad.

Seems to be around 90% asshole-shaming and 10% virgin-shaming.

Mostly amusing but sometimes cruel.

Doclector:

Also, yes, I get it, we're all fed up with the "nice guy" trend, can we stop railing on them so much now? It's starting to feel like I'm being called an asshole for not being able to get a girlfriend, instead of not being able to get a girlfriend because I'm an asshole.

Which I'm not an asshole. There's plenty wrong with me, I'm paranoid, downright crazy, ugly as fuck, and generally crap at being anything close to "smooth" and that is why I can't get a girlfriend, but I'm not an outright asshole. Fine, tell me it's my fault, which it is, but don't call me an asshole because of it.

No one's calling you an asshole for not being able to get a girlfriend. The Tumblrs are mostly designed to take the piss out of "nice guys" who say that they are completely perfect and a great catch, and the only reason they can't get a girlfriend is because women are all shallow bitches who only date jerks.

Wait what? We have three threads on the first page of OT right now dedicated to mocking and insulting people who have done nothing wrong except perhaps be dumb in ways that affects absolutely no one else, yet somehow making fun of people who are shamelessly sexist and racist is going too far? Sure Escapist.

General Twinkletoes:
It's about whether women have an obligation to keep your legs shaved

Of course women have an obligation to keep my legs shaved. What? You think I'm going to shave my legs myself as a simple commoner? Pishposh! *puts on monocle*

Doclector:

You're not the people these blogs are about. It's laughing at assholes who think they're really nice, and then call women bitches for not instantly liking them. Basically the entire opposite of your post. They think women hate them because... women are assholes? idk. They're too self centred to realise that some people might not like them.

Davatehi:

General Twinkletoes:
It's about whether women have an obligation to keep your legs shaved

Of course women have an obligation to keep my legs shaved. What? You think I'm going to shave my legs myself as a simple commoner? Pishposh! *puts on monocle*

...I should fix that, but I like it a lot more this way.

To be fair, I use OkCupid, and whislt it's awful to randomly attack people in that situation, not many of them seem that lonely.
I see many profiles saying "Not sure what I'm doing here" or "Just making friends" or people that still act liek they're 12, with profile descriptions in text speak saying they're looking for bad boys, or have had it with bad boys and want nice boys to act like bad boys to them, as if those are too specifric camps. I bet they really have no idea what a bad person is.
Whilst I find some people's answers funny or something, and my answers aren't always may answer in all cases, and I might change some later, I sometimes take pictures and make them anonymous to laugh by myself.

Even when people don't seem like the friendliest it's not like I care much, unless they happen to be compatible apart from that.
For one it was like "Well they have good common interest! Oh...they like Gundam Seed...and don't think gays have certain rights...nothing to do here".

Woodsey:
Uhh... the question I see is, "Is a girl who's slept with 100 guys a bad person?". Answer, "yes". So, yeah... dick response. Some seem rather cruel to pick on, yes, others are a bit of fun, plenty are highlighted because they genuinely seem like misogynistic and/or outmoded pricks, including questionable attitudes towards race relations.

The questions help refer to finding people of similar descriptions, not merely to express a worldview. They may feel that way without expressing it and just tend to be attracted to people of that description. So yeah, soe may seem genuinely hateful, but I don't consider that anwer a dick response, but more what they prefer.
I've seen some people's answers on questions of interest not realise the mentality of this, and deliberately avoid it asking "Why must you make such a big deal about these things, OkCupid, seriously?"

I couldn't agree more.

All those blogs serve to do is highlight just how ugly the people running them are.

Personality-wise, that is.

Ok, most of those generally showed unfavourable people, even if the blogger had some objections with them that I didn't, but this:
Why was this posted?
What's wrong with it? There's no race or gender problems, or doucheyness.
Edit: They also seem to think being a brony is of as importance as things they consider race or gender issues....
Edit 2: And Homestuck...
Edit 3: And anime
Edit 4: And Reddit
Edit 5; And not showering every day

Dear God, my profile's going to show up for some of those interests and for having rape fantasies as a fetish, aren't I?

Ahri:
I couldn't agree more.

All those blogs serve to do is highlight just how ugly the people running featured on them are. Personality-wise, that is.

Fixed that for ya.

If y'all want to see the real cream of the Nice Guy™ crop, NGOKC is archived on Google Sites. (link)

manic_depressive13:
Wait what? We have three threads on the first page of OT right now dedicated to mocking and insulting people who have done nothing wrong except perhaps be dumb in ways that affects absolutely no one else, yet somehow making fun of people who are shamelessly sexist and racist is going too far? Sure Escapist.

Yeah, I'm kind of agreeing with this.
Personally, having been on the receiving end of Nice Guyism, somebody telling the dude he was acting like a stupid sexist fuck may have actually done some good.

I also enjoyed this and it is relevant.
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/01/alt-text-nice-guy/

I dunno whilst i can see alot of these guys being highlighted are tools, it takes alot of guts to put yourself out there on one of those sites for fear of what people think of you. Then to have pages made mocking people for simply being on these sites is really quite depressing.

I tried using okc recently and found it a rather depressing experience, i have a full time job, have my own place, um i guess average looks :/ and the only response out of the 20-30 messages i sent out was from a girl informing me she had became a lesbian which is fair enough. This may be more due to the fact i live in the ass hole of no where than anything else.

Anyway the point i'm trying to make is i found it fucking hard to make this profile and super paranoid about what people think of me... so to hear some girls are making websites openly mocking people on these sites is really quite depressing, how ever bad they are.

Wouldn't it be funny if a guy did the same to girls?, chances are there would be a rent'a'mob ready and waiting to lynch the dude for behaving in the same way towards women.

So it's wrong to make fun of people that are openly sexist and misogynistic? And I'll shamelessly admit that if you wear a tribly/fedora with normal clothing I will make fun of you for your awful fashion sense.

Rastien:

I tried using okc recently and found it a rather depressing experience, i have a full time job, have my own place, um i guess average looks :/ and the only response out of the 20-30 messages i sent out was from a girl informing me she had became a lesbian which is fair enough. This may be more due to the fact i live in the ass hole of no where than anything else.

Girls on OKCupid can receive up to 50 messages per day. Replying to them all would be a full-time job. Don't take it personally.

Anyway the point i'm trying to make is i found it fucking hard to make this profile and super paranoid about what people think of me... so to hear some girls are making websites openly mocking people on these sites is really quite depressing, how ever bad they are.

Tips for not appearing on these blogs:

1) Don't post a picture of yourself in a fedora
2) Don't be a sexist/racist/homophobic douchebag

Follow those two simple rules and you should be fine.

Wouldn't it be funny if a guy did the same to girls?, chances are there would be a rent'a'mob ready and waiting to lynch the dude for behaving in the same way towards women.

There are girls featured on those sites as well.

Phasmal:

manic_depressive13:

Personally, having been on the receiving end of Nice Guyism, somebody telling the dude he was acting like a stupid sexist fuck may have actually done some good.

Ooh, I was kinda with her him until she he appealed to the widely-debunked Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Kinda hard to take someone seriously who blasts men who treat Dane Cook routines like peer-reviewed research and then talks about theories most linguists don't take seriously at all.

Katatori-kun:

Phasmal:

manic_depressive13:

Ooh, I was kinda with her until she appealed to the widely-debunked Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Kinda hard to take someone seriously who blasts men who treat Dane Cook routines like peer-reviewed research and then talks about theories most linguists don't take seriously at all.

He and him, article written by a dude.
Hypotheses aside, it's more the main point of `nice` being kind of dull and the bare minimum that I was agreeing with.

what is worse starving children or abused animals?: neither both are good
lol

fuck and the same questions keep on popping up in every profile

is there such a thing as too many sexual partners?
i'm seriously gonna say yes. doesn't matter if it's 500 or 500,00 there really has to be a limit somewhere where someone stops being sexually mature and adventurous and starts being mentally unstable

do you think women have an obligation to keep their legs shaved?
musta seen this about a billion times now and it really is a loaded question. noone is obligated to do fuck all. you don't have to shave your legs, comb your hair or have a shower if you don't want to but be aware that might limit your potential number of suitors. i personally prefer my girlfriends to keep themselves how i consider to be well presented and have no problem doing the same myself if asked. if a girlfriend asks me to shave my legs i would do so. as to if i think all women should do it? like i fucking care it doesnt effect me

do you have a problem with racist jokes?
again loaded question. i grew up in a school where my race was in a less than .5% minority. the group of friends which i had consisted of 8 different races and we told some of the most racists jokes you are ever likely to hear. noone ever got offended because noone had self esteem low enough to think the colour of their skin should effect the way they live their life. as to if i think i should walk into a preschool and lighten the mood with "so 2 niggers and a spick walk into a bar...." fuck no there is a time and a place for everything and i would not use a racial joke if everyone involved wasn't comfortable with it

would the world be a better place if ppl with low IQs were not allowed to breed?
im gonna go out on a limb and say possibly yes. some dumb ppl do dumb shit. some dumb ppl can not properly raise a child. i would definitely oppose a law forcing this sort of thing and there is no reason a child can not overcome whatever hardship they suffer to become whatever they want in life but i can see the merit in ppl believing it

no means no!
FFS i hope everyone knows the correct answer to this and if you don't then i will for the only time in this thread admit that you are a bad person but as i already mentioned in another thread i had a girlfriend with a disturbing (to me at least) rape fetish and no sure as fuck did not mean no. in fact no with tears and a black eye meant yes and no with 5 gang members with knives meant hell yes

also a lot of hate on friendzone, nice guy and fedora wearing but i think the fedora flow chart prolly makes that look more idiotic than i can

I'm fucking livid at this. Most of those guys are wearing trilbies, not Fedoras. Check your facts! I'm so angry, I'm shitting blood.

Seriously though, I think it is fun to mock guys for their horrendous opinions and fashion sense, but it is also judgemental and mean spirited. I console those two conflicting facets by reminding myself these are guys who deserve it (selfish, sexist, racist jerks with massive egos). Plus they are wearing fedoras indoors without corresponding outfits, and that's terrible.

boots:

Girls on OKCupid can receive up to 50 messages per day. Replying to them all would be a full-time job. Don't take it personally.

Yeah i'm all to aware of this situation unfortuntley i feel the whole thing is a wasted en-devour on my part unfortuntley my options are a little limited where i live :) i don't enjoy drinking and unfortuntley round there parts it's pub or nightclubs to meet girls it seems.

boots:

Tips for not appearing on these blogs:

1) Don't post a picture of yourself in a fedora
2) Don't be a sexist/racist/homophobic douchebag

Follow those two simple rules and you should be fine.

Well those 2 are already crossed, i shouldn't let my paranoia get the better of me :)

boots:

There are girls featured on those sites as well.

But is the site written by a man or a woman or are we not able to tell?

So I just made a joke OKCupid account (not because I plan on dating, but I wanted to check out the site and it's people), where I'm Cthulhu, and I think some of these issues should honestly be more directed at the website than the guys. Sure, some of their responses to the questions are misogynistic, racist, and downright wrong, but the site IS asking these questions, like "do you think women have an obligation to keep their legs shaved?".

I'm sure under normal situations these guys probably wouldn't bring it up. Not that I'm defending them for the shaming, I'm just saying the site seems to have some very bizarre questions. O.o

Epic Bear Man:
So I just made a joke OKCupid account (not because I plan on dating, but I wanted to check out the site and it's people), where I'm Cthulhu, and I think some of these issues should honestly be more directed at the website than the guys. Sure, some of their responses to the questions are misogynistic, racist, and downright wrong, but the site IS asking these questions, like "do you think women have an obligation to keep their legs shaved?".

I'm sure under normal situations these guys probably wouldn't bring it up. Not that I'm defending them for the shaming, I'm just saying the site seems to have some very bizarre questions. O.o

Most of the questions were submitted by users. The questions that get the most amount of responses are the ones that crop up most often.

And I'm glad they have questions like the legs ones. It makes weeding out the douchebags much easier. No one wants to date a secret sexist.

boots:

Epic Bear Man:

Most of the questions were submitted by users. The questions that get the most amount of responses are the ones that crop up most often.

And I'm glad they have questions like the legs ones. It makes weeding out the douchebags much easier. No one wants to date a secret sexist.

Oh, my mistake then. I thought the questions were designed by the people who made the site, in which case I'd be wondering why they'd ask that in the first place...

But nonetheless, it's still a bizarre set of questions at times, whether or not it helps weed out the douchebags.

Epic Bear Man:

Well those questions are likely supposed to be used as a way to easily eliminate people. The problem with them isn't so much they're there, but that answer options are either too rigid or that (some) people aren't answering the question itself, but what they think question is actually asking (i.e. they answer the obligation to shave question with if they prefer legs shaved, not if they actually think there's an obligation). Or they have poor reading comprehension I guess.

If they had one of the answers "No, but I prefer them shaved" or something like that, I'm sure a decent number of people who answered "Yes" would change their answer.

I believe most of the questions are user-submitted too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked