New Trailer for Ghost in the Shell: Arise

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I don't watch a lot of anime. But of what anime I have seen I likes. I likes a lot.

Amongst that is the Ghost in the Shell movies and TV series'. Browsing the intertubes just now I stumbled across this trailer for a new Ghost in the Shell series, with the subtitle of Arise.

What strikes me about Arise is that it appears to be a prequel series which, in and of itself, isn't a bad thing.

One of the reasons I like the Ghost in the Shell anime is that it never really delves deep into the history of it's universe and just shows you what you need to know at that particular time.

So maybe Arise will be a fun little elope into the early history of robotics, augmentations and transhumanism that this series is so famous for.

Thoughts? Feelings? Rage? Throw them in the comments.

[source]

My reastion when I first read the title is "OH HELL YES!" (Seriously I have been waiting for a new series after Solid State Society.)

However once I watch the trailer and the intro (it will be on Youtube later) my reation is now like this

The new animation style will be getting some used to (the Major doesn't look like the Major to me anymore) as it does look like it's a preclude to SAC and 2nd GIG (just look like Aramaki hair or did he dye it brown? :P)

Either way I am glad for the shows retrun.

Never did see any previous Ghost in the Shell anime, just read the original Manga. Wasn't too terribly impressed with it, especially considering that Cyberpunk is my favorite genre. I hope this works out.

Still not sure if it's an alternate timeline or not. The encounter with Pazu seems to be according to canon, but Saito is also shown in the opening credits doesn't join the Major until she's in the military.

Red Jumpsuit works better than special forces cop running around in a leotard.

Um, err. No.

To me, 2nd GIG felt rushed and I don't think they should continue.

Kinda looks like a prequel then a sequel to 2nd gig. Am I the only one getting an Armitage-3 Vibe from her now?

Awwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeah!

love me some GitS.

Hopefully it gets localised quickly.

Huh. GitS is one of the few animes I like, so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

I don't like what they've done with the Major's face though.

I'm optimistic and curious, if a little hesitant about the new looks of the character's, apart from the Major's which looks brilliant.

GitS has always been brilliant though so i'm hoping that this should be as well.

Cool... I guess?

Would have preferred a sequel. I wanted to know if that pretty, platinum haired guy ever made it.

Ah well. Still not gonna sneeze at an origin story for the Major.

Looks pretty good, I think - the beginning of Major's career? I'd totally watch that.

At the very beginning of the trailer, you can see a flash of AD 2027, which is three years before the first series. I'd say that it's safe to call it a prequel.

I haven't seen it, so I can't say if it's good or bad. Believe it or not, changes can sometimes turn out for the better if done by someone who understands what they are working with.

Loved the original film. Never got all that into SAC. Interested in this.

Glad to see that Mokoto's new design veers more to how she appeared in the film. I never dug her SAC appearance. She looked like a lingerie wearing supermodel, with perfect, somewhat bland features. In the original GITS film, Motoko actually looked like she could be a special forces agent. Not only was she fit in a wiry sort of way, but she had a very fierce, aggressive facial design. She looked like she could quite happily kick the shit out of you if you crossed her, whereas SAC Motoko looked to me like a cyberpunk's fantasy dreamwoman.

I could see the Arise Mokoto growing (or upgrading) into the film's Major.

Anyways, apparently the writers and director are all new to the franchise. It's being done by IG, so it could be very good, or very bad, depending on what team they've got working on it.

Yeah, this looks to me more like a prequel to the original film rather than the SAC shows. But it's looking pretty so far. If I had any money, they could take it now.

Awesome, whether this is a prequel to the manga movie or SAC I'll definitely have to keep my eye on it.

DVS BSTrD:
Still not sure if it's an alternate timeline or not. The encounter with Pazu seems to be according to canon, but Saito is also shown in the opening credits doesn't join the Major until she's in the military.

The thing is, in that episode on Saito origin well how he came to join Section 9 (well joining the Major), he could had fabricated the whole story since the title and theme was about poker face.

A lot of people are hesitant about Mokoto's new design, but I'm all for it, I never liked the tv series lingerie model look, and right off the bat I noticed....

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Glad to see that Mokoto's new design veers more to how she appeared in the film. I never dug her SAC appearance. She looked like a lingerie wearing supermodel, with perfect, somewhat bland features. In the original GITS film, Motoko actually looked like she could be a special forces agent. Not only was she fit in a wiry sort of way, but she had a very fierce, aggressive facial design. She looked like she could quite happily kick the shit out of you if you crossed her, whereas SAC Motoko looked to me like a cyberpunk's fantasy dreamwoman.

Anyways, apparently the writers and director are all new to the franchise. It's being done by IG, so it could be very good, or very bad, depending on what team they've got working on it.

Damn ninja'd...

Another season of GitS, another album of awesome music made unavailable for legal download.

Other than that ALL MY YES!

And props on no one bitching about the character alterations, she is a cyborg after all, were lucky she just doesnt load herself into a tank!

EDIT; 0:38 notice Motoko model 1.0 surrounded by friendly looking scientists (probably her cyborg doctors) and a potential care-giver. If we learn more about young adolescent Major I just might cream myself.

EDITEDIT: The voive actor who voiced the little girl at the end of the fist GitS movie is playing the Motoko.
Sauce: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-12/ghost-in-the-shell/arise-anime-details-outlined

DrunkenMonkey:

Damn ninja'd...

Heh heh heh...

Just read a synopsis of some of the backstory/pre-release info for this series on Neogaf. Basically, rather than having the whole Section 9 gang working together, it seems like the characters have all got separate story arcs which all get connected somehow.

Motoko is a major in the 501st Division in the army, some sort of special forces unit. She runs into Aramaki when he consults her on a certain case. It's not clear where he's working, but probably at public safety (since he later starts Section 9 there). Togusa is indeed a detective in the special investigations department in the Niihama Police Station. Paz is an undercover cop working for the military police, and he runs into Motoko during a deep cover operation. Batou is apparently investigating the murder of a coworker of his, and suspects Motoko is involved. The other characters don't really have any details other than their general description.

Sounds pretty fucking sweet. I was a bit worried when I saw the character trailer, given that this is supposed to be pre-Section 9, but it looks like they're trying to include the characters in a way that goes beyond needless cameos. Hopefully they can pull it off. Really digging the artstyle. It seems to have the bright colours of the SAC series, while keeping the more downbeat, grimey look of the film.

Man, I avoid anime almost on general principle these days (I've been burned too many times!) but I will watch the heck out of this. I get the impression that this is the Majors' first time in a fully automated body, and I like that she doesn't seem to be used to it yet (wide-eyed, unblinking stare, mechanical-looking movements).

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

DrunkenMonkey:

Damn ninja'd...

Heh heh heh...

Just read a synopsis of some of the backstory/pre-release info for this series on Neogaf. Basically, rather than having the whole Section 9 gang working together, it seems like the characters have all got separate story arcs which all get connected somehow.

Motoko is a major in the 501st Division in the army, some sort of special forces unit. She runs into Aramaki when he consults her on a certain case. It's not clear where he's working, but probably at public safety (since he later starts Section 9 there). Togusa is indeed a detective in the special investigations department in the Niihama Police Station. Paz is an undercover cop working for the military police, and he runs into Motoko during a deep cover operation. Batou is apparently investigating the murder of a coworker of his, and suspects Motoko is involved. The other characters don't really have any details other than their general description.

Sounds pretty fucking sweet. I was a bit worried when I saw the character trailer, given that this is supposed to be pre-Section 9, but it looks like they're trying to include the characters in a way that goes beyond needless cameos. Hopefully they can pull it off. Really digging the artstyle. It seems to have the bright colours of the SAC series, while keeping the more downbeat, grimey look of the film.

Actually from watching the trailer I got that this one has a lot more in common with the first film than the anime, so when people said this was a prequel to the tv series I was genuinely shocked since the trailer's tone focused a lot less on action pieces and a lot more on call back scenes to the first movie. This def. looks interesting regardless, it's IG so animation should be great also.

DrunkenMonkey:

Actually from watching the trailer I got that this one has a lot more in common with the first film than the anime, so when people said this was a prequel to the tv series I was genuinely shocked since the trailer's tone focused a lot less on action pieces and a lot more on call back scenes to the first movie. This def. looks interesting regardless, it's IG so animation should be great also.

Is this a prequel to SAC? From what I understood, none of the writers from SAC are working on this, and Arise is being treated as its own continuity, just as SAC was its own thing compared to the film and the manga. And didn't SAC have its own flashbacks to the Major's early days anyways? If this were to be a prequel, I imagine there'd be all sorts of continuity issues.

And yeah, in terms of inspiration, it seems to hearken back more to the first film, which is absolutely fine with me.

What's surprising is that I had no idea how popular Stand Alone Complex has gotten compared to the original film. I'm just old enough to remember when that came out, and it was the big anime event of the 90s. James Cameron helped promote it, the Wachowski Brothers loved it enough to use parts of it wholesale for the Matrix... I always thought that the film was the best known part of the franchise. But having a look on some of the other forums such as Neogaf, it seems like there's a huge number of GITS fans who got into the anime series, and have never even seen the films. People are complaining that Motoko's hair is no longer purple, or her eyes red, or that she now looks to fierce and angry to be the 'real' Major. Funny how something I assumed was one of the most well-known anime films seems to have been rather overshadowed by the anime series that came along later. I kind of feel like I've just discovered there's a Blade Runner TV show, and people are hailing it as even better than the film.

But yeah... hopefully they go back to the existentialism of the films. While I dug what I saw of the TV series, I kind of felt like they sacrificed a lot of the heavy philosophical stuff to make room for more action/thriller moments.

Zhukov:
Cool... I guess?

Would have preferred a sequel. I wanted to know if that pretty, platinum haired guy ever made it.

Kuze you mean?
I don't want to spoil anything but you should take another look at the last episode of GitSAC2G. It was pretty-well spelled out for us. IMHO the only thing they left open for debate was whether or not they'd really met before - I thought that was pretty clear too but I suppose there's room for argument...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Is this a prequel to SAC? From what I understood, none of the writers from SAC are working on this, and Arise is being treated as its own continuity, just as SAC was its own thing compared to the film and the manga. And didn't SAC have its own flashbacks to the Major's early days anyways? If this were to be a prequel, I imagine there'd be all sorts of continuity issues.

And yeah, in terms of inspiration, it seems to hearken back more to the first film, which is absolutely fine with me.

What's surprising is that I had no idea how popular Stand Alone Complex has gotten compared to the original film. I'm just old enough to remember when that came out, and it was the big anime event of the 90s. James Cameron helped promote it, the Wachowski Brothers loved it enough to use parts of it wholesale for the Matrix... I always thought that the film was the best known part of the franchise. But having a look on some of the other forums such as Neogaf, it seems like there's a huge number of GITS fans who got into the anime series, and have never even seen the films. People are complaining that Motoko's hair is no longer purple, or her eyes red, or that she now looks to fierce and angry to be the 'real' Major. Funny how something I assumed was one of the most well-known anime films seems to have been rather overshadowed by the anime series that came along later. I kind of feel like I've just discovered there's a Blade Runner TV show, and people are hailing it as even better than the film.

But yeah... hopefully they go back to the existentialism of the films. While I dug what I saw of the TV series, I kind of felt like they sacrificed a lot of the heavy philosophical stuff to make room for more action/thriller moments.

Well in that case I hope I'm completely goddamn wrong about this being a prequel to the anime, hearing that non of the tv series writers are working on it def. a plus. Motoko's updated model is uncannily similar to the film's in the regard that her eyes have this weird quality of being un-expressionless like they are supposed to be robotic, so that attention to detail is amazing.

I don't blame fans of the series disliking this "new" major because honestly at this point the series is a lot more well known by anime enthusiasts then the movie is, or so I believe from most GiTS conversations that I have. I mean its a bit comparable to the whole DmC debacle, except well the designers aren't shitting in the faces of their fans, but more like they are writing a love letter to the original fans. And that is a good thing no matter how you look at it.

What would you consider this? a cash grab, or a tribute to the original roots, or a bit of both?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I didnt hate her look in GITS SAC as much as i hated that fact that she rarely ever dressed not like a cyber punk whore. At least in the latter part of Second GIG they stopped with alot of GD fan service in regards to her clothing.

2027?
I never asked for this.

Wereduck:

Zhukov:
Cool... I guess?

Kuze you mean?
I don't want to spoil anything but you should take another look at the last episode of GitSAC2G. It was pretty-well spelled out for us. IMHO the only thing they left open for debate was whether or not they'd really met before - I thought that was pretty clear too but I suppose there's room for argument...

In the last episode of 2ndGIG it's hinted that he's uploading himself before he dies.

In Solid State Society (movie based on the anime, takes place after 2ndGIG) it's hinted that he succeeded.

Granted, it's only hinted and I could very well be wrong. That's why I would have liked to see a sequel.

Oh, my great good gravy. I have been waiting so hard for more GitS. SAC is one of my favorite shows ever, and the unrelated films are terrific as well. The Major's redesign is no issue to me, she still looks like herself. Hot damn, I am excited. I've learned before not to let my hopes soar too high, but man. I am so in love with the whole GitS franchise. It's never done me wrong, and it's one of the few series left that never disappoints. As long as this prequel, reboot, whatever it is is anything like the shows and/or the movies...I will cream my jeans.

The art will take some getting used to, but I am hopeful! Looks like it may be a bit more action-packed than Stand Alone/2nd-Gig, which is totally cool in my book.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

I kinda liked the film, but I could never get past the dialogue. It's all stilted and stiff, nothing like how people actually talk.

Agreed on the Major's visual design though.

If I had to guess, it looks like a fairly "young" body the Major is inhabiting, so it could be her first military-grade robotic body from when she was a just a young girl/woman. In the series, the Major used a younger version of her body at one point, though I can't recall what for at the moment, just that I know it happened and I think it freaked Batou out.

Or it could be an alternate timeline not related to the previous show. Either way, I like GitS, so I'm optimistic.

I believe Yoko Kanno isn't doing the score for this one.

My interest level is substantially lower than it probably should be.

I don't know how I feel about this. Ghost in the Shell is one of those franchises that felt distinctly finished to me so adding on to it at this point kinda feels like taking a paint by numbers set to the Mona Lisa.

FargoDog:
I believe Yoko Kanno isn't doing the score for this one.

My interest level is substantially lower than it probably should be.

Well that would be unfortunate then, the ost was awesome

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked