Lets say you're in prison. How would you spend your time in the cell?
Communicate and be friends with the other prisoners
9% (19)
9% (19)
Sleep most of the time
15.6% (33)
15.6% (33)
Ignore everything and sit there and wait until I can get out of there
7.1% (15)
7.1% (15)
Try to find something enjoyable to do
31.1% (66)
31.1% (66)
Become crazy and scream for amnesty
5.2% (11)
5.2% (11)
Depends how long Im going to stay in there
12.3% (26)
12.3% (26)
Other
19.8% (42)
19.8% (42)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Lets say you're in prison. How would you spend your time in the cell?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bamba:

Making threads with one sentence intro's and no opinions is a fast way to have mods come down on you.

And if I was in prison, I would just work out. If I don't get the prison abs, I pretty much wasted x amount of time

Probably masturbate more times than is healthy, and try to be entertained by small things. By anything I possibly could be entertained by, really. I'd generally try to avoid communicating with other prisoners though. That can only lead to trouble.

Do I have anything in the cell? Can I get a pencil and paper for example?

If it was just a bare cell with absolutely nothing then I'd just do a lot of push-ups and sleep a lot.

I would probably start writing and drawing.

Workout and read. Pretty much what I do at home anyway.

Workout and read whilst making sure my butt is permanently facing a wall.
No more showers, showers are now out of the question.

Unless this is Norwegian prison in which case I'll make friends as well as what I mentioned and less bum to the wall.

TopazFusion:

Lionsfan:

Bamba:

Making threads with one sentence intro's and no opinions is a fast way to have mods come down on you.

Every thread they make is like this.

@OP: This isn't AskReddit.
A basic, one-line question, often isn't enough for a thread here. You need to start a discussion by, at the very least, answering your own question, in the opening post.

I can answer my own question. But whats wrong with one-line question threads? If its against some forum rule, then I didnt know. But by taking a quick look at the forum rules I dont see something like "one-line question threads are not allowed" on there.

Bamba:

TopazFusion:

Lionsfan:

A basic, one-line question, often isn't enough for a thread here. You need to start a discussion by, at the very least, answering your own question, in the opening post.

I can answer my own question. But whats wrong with one-line question threads? If its against some forum rule, then I didnt know. But by taking a quick look at the forum rules I dont see something like "one-line question threads are not allowed" on there.

It falls under low-content posts. They want discussion here, and just posting opinions/single questions doesn't really promote discussion. It doesn't have to be 4 paragraphs, just say "If I was stuck in jail I would devise an escape plan, Shawshank style."

Or "If I was an animal, I would prefer to be a shark, because I love how fast they can swim and they're the kings of the ocean"

Lionsfan:

Bamba:

TopazFusion:

It falls under low-content posts. They want discussion here, and just posting opinions/single questions doesn't really promote discussion. It doesn't have to be 4 paragraphs, just say "If I was stuck in jail I would devise an escape plan, Shawshank style."

Or "If I was an animal, I would prefer to be a shark, because I love how fast they can swim and they're the kings of the ocean"

Okey, fair enough. Then should I edit my first post and add my opinion in there or just post it as a reply to the thread?

Play computer games, browse the internet, read books, watch movies... pretty much the same things I do now, except no working, or cleaning, or paying bills...

Work out, till I end up like Micheal "Charles Bronson" Peterson.

I'd even give the mustache a go.

A lot of reading would get done too.

I'm not serving a sentence. I'm visiting people.

Or am I playing monopoly?

Exercise, write comic-book scripts and play the clarinet. This is assuming I can't get schooling in my cell.

I'd probably sleep. I might request some sort of mathematics text book, and churn my way through that, I think they'd allow me something like that.

I'd start playing chess. Of course I'd need pieces. Gives me a few rocks and chisel so I can get started. I'd also need some inspiration - Rita Hayworth will do.

Realistically, I'd take less time to break out of jail. Unless I was guilty of course.

Guys, I forgot to mention.....you have nothing but a simple bed and basic stuff like water and toilet in the prison cell that this thread refers to. So you cant really say you'd play chess or computer games and such. These things are nonexistent in the prison cell I refer to.

Take rent from people, purchase property, build houses, conduct business as normal - by far the dumbest rule in Monopoly (in the later stages of the game, jail is essentially a GREAT thing to happen if you play by this rule).

If we aren't talking about me going to jail for having bad luck - then work out and sleep a lot. Read books if I can. What else am I gonna do?

I'd try to cover my ass, in a very literal sense.

I'd get built, get a prison tat or two, and find the people who are least likely to rape me and play chess. Maybe even do another degree and a masters while I'm in there. *Thank heavens for the tax payer and the European Court of Human Rights*

Bamba:
Guys, I forgot to mention.....you have nothing but a simple bed and basic stuff like water and toilet in the prison cell that this thread refers to. So you cant really say you'd play chess or computer games and such. These things are nonexistent in the prison cell I refer to.

Fine, just sit, sleep and read/study I guess...

Break out into couruses of "We are the champions" and try to escape once everyone joins in. If not, I'd just ask if I can have a TV with the Hub channel, a DVD player and all the seasons of MLP. Then I'd watch them and weep softly into my bed.

Bamba:

Well THAT definitely needs to be edited into the first post. I was going to say read and write books, but in the cell you describe there is nothing TO do, so there isn't much discussion value.

+1 for getting those prison abs i've always wanted

also like most australians i would prolly pass the time by politely asking fellow inmates to stop stabbing me

Squilookle:

Guys, I forgot to mention.....I have Freudian fantasies and an Oedipus complex

Well THAT definitely needs to be edited into the first post. I was going to say read and write books, but in the cell you describe there is nothing TO do, so there isn't much discussion value.

I just ignored it. It wasn't in the rules actually within the first post, as such it didn't exist.

Plus, assuming you've been arrested in your homeland, the most basic prisons could be anything from a shack with iron bars to a 5* hotel. As such, I feel everyone's answer gives an interesting insight to their views of their national prison system! (Not getting preachy or anything at you,just making sure I don't have a low content post.)

lechat:
also like most australians i would prolly pass the time by politely asking fellow inmates to stop stabbing me

Same, but i'd also be doing some polite stabbing of my own in between doing pushups, reading and asking inmates on advice on crimes so i can do the opposite of what they recommend when i get out.

Be as well behaved as possible, earn special privileges, ask for some of my LEGO collection to be brought in, and amuse myself with that until I get out.

Ignore everything.
This is my solution to life evenif I am not in prison.

Clench my buttocks at all times and do exercises to make my clenching more powerful, longer lasting and easier... And possibly make friends (because the best i'd be in prison for would be manslaughter).

Exercise and reading. That's how I'd spend my time. And you make friends by necessity. Being a loner in prison sounds like a really unsafe idea.

get a silly and menacing nickname like the the little tooth tearer and all will be fine.

Bamba:

So what you are actually asking is what we would do if we were confined to a small cell in which there was nothing to do. Not, what would you do in prison.

Cause there is a big difference. Also, big difference depending on the type of prison, as well as the country in which you are imprisoned.

So what would I do in a small cell with nothing to do?
Wait for it...
Nothing.

Well, it depends... How long will I be in there? What Category prison is it? What are my chances of being moved to a lower category prison? Do you specifically mean in the cell or in prison in general?

My decisions on what to do can range from:

If in Category A/B prison for long term and no chance of going to lower category prison (Due to nature of the crime committed) - I'd probably pick a few fights and either, get stabbed or spend a lot of time in solitary confinement.

If in Category B/C prison with a chance of going to lower category - I'd probably stay to myself, avoid getting into trouble (Via hanging around with people whom would eventually get me into trouble) probably would read/workout, defend myself etc until I got moved.

If in Category D, I'd spend my day going to work/college, playing video games being friends with people etc. Essentially live a normal life with a Curfew...

I find it odd the most common things done by prison inmates, read, watch tv & work out, are not listed under the options...

Bamba:

Well in the US with it's prison overcrowding, simply getting a cell is lucky, a lot of times prisoners just get a mattress laid down in a common room, and no privacy at all. When there are cells, they are usually shared among multiple inmates and pretty small. This can of course vary from prison to prison, but at the end of the day you generally don't get your own personal cell/cubicle unless your in solitary. The entire human-factor involved here (being around all the freaks and criminals, many of whom are out to terrorize or exploit you for their own entertainment if nothing else) does lead to some people acting out just so they can get into Solitary and be away from everyone else.

I answered it would depend on how long I'd be in there, but it would also depend on the situation, who I had to share it with, and what the cell block was like. See, depending on the situation the safest place to be might actually be in the common areas around the greatest density of prisoners and potential witnesses (as it increases the chance of another inmate ratting on someone that does something to me to get favor with the prison administration, and thus discourages people from acting when squealers are all over the place). Being alone in a cell or relatively isolated could be the best place to be potentially, but being alone in the wrong enviroment means that three members of whatever ethnic gang hates your ethnicity and is taking it to the point of "race war" this week can come into your sell and shank you to make a general statement without any witnesses. After all the differance between a prisoner making a shank and attacking someone, and one making a shank and attempting suicide, all comes down to the witnesses. Two guys hold you down and another one stabs you six or seven times for lulz (but doesn't kill you) isn't assault if there are no other witnesses and they say that you were using your own illegal "knife" to try and kill yourself out of grief from being imprisoned, and any marks from the restraint was due to their heroic effort to save you from yourself... Of course nobody anywhere would believe that story, but in prison in paticular proof and witnesses matter, far more than they probably should.

If I somehow had a nice, private, cell in a block where my own ethnicity dominated and thus it was relatively safe from becoming the random target of this week's race war, I might very well spend most of my time in my cell reading whatever I could get from the Prison library since I like to read.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked