Have you ever felt like its pointless to live anymore?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Have you?

To be honest, I have a few times. It usually happened to me when I was very sad or depressed because of something. For example.....some people used to laugh at me everyday and say Im terrible at everything. I didnt know not to take what people say seriously back then, so I almost ended my life.....But since then I realized not to react to things this way anymore.

These days though, I never even think about it. But Im curious what about you all.....have you ever thought to yourselves, "my life is so terrible, I dont see a point in continuing to live anymore"?

Discuss please.

Sure.

But even a crappy life is ultimately better than no life at all. They don't have chocolate softcream with caramel topping in the nothingness.

Well, I feel on numerous occasions that life is pointless, but that doesn't mean I want it to end.

And usually this feeling of pointlessness stems from what society excepts my life to be, rather than what my life actually is. And in that respect my life is pretty okay.

sure. I couldnt careless if I were to die.

I am not super unhappy. Actually I am quite happy. But still, I think life is pointless.
Therefore my feeling of happiness is quite pointless too.

Every second of every day of the last 8 years when I thought about the scale of me to the universe.

So I enjoy my life, I live happy every day and I try my best to achieve what I want to do. But does it have a point, am I going to mark this world with my existance or even reach a state of mind / body that allows me to live forever? Nope. So yes, it is fukken pointless.

Bamba:

For example.....some people used to laugh at me everyday and say Im terrible at everything. I didnt know not to take what people say seriously back then, so I almost ended my life.....But since then I realized not to react to things this way anymore.

Come on! When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give you lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!

That's what you do. Gosh darn it.

Punch life in the face! If someone's terrible to you, be even more terrible to them! Fuck Jesus, he didn't know what the hel he was talking about when it comes to turning the cheek.

OT:
These days though, I never even think about it. But Im curious what about you all.....have you ever thought to yourselves, "my life is so terrible, I dont see a point in continuing to live anymore"?

Lolnope. If I feel like my life is going downhill, I just make sure that everyone else will slide down a hill even steeper than mine.

Captcha: True life

Hmmm I'm only borderline suicidal whenever I wake up every day, for about 15 minutes. Then it stops and I continue with my day wishing only to sleep some more. I really do wish I could sleep my life away sometimes >.>

Sure i have been a few times in my life quite suicidal.. even recently.. but i guess im just too afraid of pain and death in the end.. so i just always ended up self harming instead.. which hurts a lot more then you just end up snapping out of it after a while!

What you describe is a bullied suicide, not feeling life is pointless. been there, done that.
now onto a real topic.

Yes, i have felt the life is pointless, multiple times.
But then i remember, that the point of life is to be happy, and im in a better position than most for it, so i make my own happyness and live on.

I realise my life is pointless in the grand scheme of the universe, but that doesn't matter. I'm just gonna keep on enjoying doing what I do. So I don't feel like it is pointless to keep on living. And I would never consider suicide because I just couldn't do that to the people who care about me, and there are many things that I enjoy about life.

There have been times when I've had suicidal thoughts, but I was either too afraid of pain, scared of failure, or just too unmotivated to try anything.

Yeah I did had a low point back in High School mainly when I got lonely when realising that the people I'm with were not really my friends. Granted that was all turn around once I started going to Uni and meet new friends who appriate me for who I am.

Not really, I am almost always in a good mood. Although 2-3 days every 2-3 months I have a depressed period in exchange.

Life is short, so when you're done you're done. We're on this Earth to have some fun.

Of course it's pointless, it's just a ride.

Well...I don't remember thinking my life was ever not pointless, really.

Likewise all human endeavour, though. For there to be a point, there must be something to determine that point. Now, I could do that myself, but that'd be fairly arbitrary.

In the absence of instructions from some guiding intelligence, I don't see anything as having a point.

it depends really.
Everyone has 'those' moments where you just want to die.

For me I rarely have those kind of feelings/moments.
I just think that I have to live life to the fullest whilst caring for my family, friends, loved ones and everyone else in the world.
I mean if you die/killed yourself you would make many, MANY more people upset like your family and etc.
It'f pretty selfish if you just off yourself and don't care about anything or anyone.

So right now I'm living.
If death will try to reach me I will fight with everything I got.
Maybe hit him with his own scythe... like in Dante's Inferno. XD

Basically. Yeah, everyone has those kinds of thoughts... but it is better to think positively about life! :D

Almost every day recently. Reading existentialism hasn't helped my depression recently... but I haven't got to the point where I want to kill myself or anything (though the thought of it does occur), I just feel sick of everything and just wonder why I keep doing everything when it's all so completely pointless and worthless.

....Unfortunatly i have...even lately, As desperate as it seems i really have been doupting my good will in this world, Because of a countless amount of what some people think as "small propblems" and because the whole society here is just depressing. I have never been agressive in my life, And i mean NEVER, But i have been tempted lately to just flip out at random things......Even things i love...I know it will all get better but untill that time...*sign*...But i'm sort of in the same position as Scarim Coral was in High School, Meinly because i'm in High School...

Hmmm, well... funny enough I was just thinking about this. Not that I was feeling this way, but just as a thought experiment. So to say, if that made any sense at all. Anyhow, because of that I felt I should contribute to this thread. Not sure if this will help, but I instantly thought of Gandhi:

Take care and don't lose hope!

There is a difference between thinking living is pointless and being suicidal. Being inherently lazy, I savor every moment of pointlessness life presents me with. So yes, I have, on occasion, felt that is it pointless to live anymore, and i loved every lazy non-productive second of it.

Quite a bit when I was a teenager.
Then one day while I explored the depths of space in my lsd addled mind, I realized there was no point to any of it. And in this I came to peace with myself and the life I have.
I was free.

Why, yes, yes I did. Been in that kind of slump for quite a while. Then got bored with it and dropped it. Now I'm busy doing more fun things.

Not that I don't still get depressed, mind.

For a long time, yeah.

My current line of work involves tons of not always positive interactions with the homeless, insane, and drug addicts though, and it's kind of brought things into perspective.

I may not entirely be where I want to be in life, but I'm doing a shit ton better than many people.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, one of my old Planescape RPG characters was in the Bleak Cabal faction.

Basically they believe that life is pointless and there are no gods and the beings that pass for gods don't have a point either, and all that jazz. However, they also ran charities, insane asylums, and hospitals 'cause things may be pointless, but there's no point in suffering more than necessary.

I only just realized the irony. I've become my P&P character.

Thanks for the flash of insight, OP!

I've been a nihilist for a while, so yes, obviously.

Very little anyone can do will last, most people will be utterly forgotten 3 generations after their death and those that do anything bigger will be simply forgotten at a later time.

The universe is so incomprehensibly large, I find it to be the only logical outcome.

http://scaleofuniverse.com/

Just look at that. We're tiny even on our own little blue rock. And that rock is not even a piece of a particle of a dust speck.

Furthermore, it's all simply going to end. The sun will go nova, our galaxy will collide with another and the universe will last so long, heat will cease to exist.

But honestly, it doesn't depress me.

Nihilism is not what people think it is. It has nothing to do with total apathy or not caring about anything. I find the pointlessness of my existence to be kind of inspiring because it allows me to enjoy good things and utterly ignore anything bad.

OP, you don't sound like you're really at a stage of finding existence pointless. You seem to be more simply sad and depressed in a "There's nothing to enjoy anymore" way. 2 different things.

Yeah, a few times. Hell, I sometimes even thought of suicide.

But then I remind myself that taking my own life isn't going to solve anything. And it's only going to hurt those that care about me. So I just keep moving forward.

I never feel that life itself is pointless.

I often lose the faith I have for myself and my abilities and start to think that my individual actions are pointless and mundane. I've often wanted to give up on the things I strive for, which in its own way is very much like dying. Never give up on who you are; that's very important.

I always resolve to improve myself and push through the down times. My aspirations, my hobbies and my interests could all be considered a bit odd to everyday folk; a waste of time and contributing nothing worthwhile. The key, for me at least, was to stop caring what those people think and to just do what makes me happy, which is to say, that I should just continue being me.

Sir Thomas Sean Connery:
Just look at that. We're tiny even on our own little blue rock. And that rock is not even a piece of a particle of a dust speck.

I think Douglas Adams said it best:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Life has only the purpose you give it. Anyone can use his/her life to benefit society and those around them and to think otherwise it not only foolish, but selfish. Ultimately, a person's perspective means nothing. All that matters is what that person is able to do with said perspective, so it would be wise to view life in a way that permits the most productivity.

I do feel a little discouraged sometimes because I feel like the way society is right now, I can't be who I really am because of certain people.

Ya, I've been there, but I don't feel that way anymore.

The point of your life is ultimately whatever you choose it to be, you were born for the purpose of giving your mother and father the joy of parenthood, but eventually that runs out and what you do from there is your own choice. Though regardless I don't see why you would want to kill yourself. That just sounds like being an angsty teenager.

when it comes to the "circle of life" aspect of the reason to live we dont need to exist at all, Humans are literally a parasite on this planet and the world and everyone living on it would actually benefit if the entire human race with all the buildings and stuff with it just simply vanished. now...thats pretty depressing.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3:
Congradulations OP on opening a thread with more than 1 sentence.

Absolutely not. I love working 14 hour days in the coal mines for my overlords.

Heresy grows from idleness.

Bamba:
Have you?

To be honest, I have a few times. It usually happened to me when I was very sad or depressed because of something. For example.....some people used to laugh at me everyday and say Im terrible at everything. I didnt know not to take what people say seriously back then, so I almost ended my life.....But since then I realized not to react to things this way anymore.

Discuss please.

Nope, as I love living. I love games. I love good food and new experiences, even if they are bad.

Yep, but that doesn't stop me from continuing to live.

Mostly when I was a teenager. It was helpful for to realize that I had allowed my own mind to stop playing for my team. Meaning, you have more control over your feelings than you might think. For me, I didn't realize that there was some dysfunctional part of my brain that got fulfillment out of feeling valueless and demoralized. If that's the case with you, you should take steps to keep yourself from rewarding that behavior.

Well of course... objectively, life is pointless... but subjectively and personally is where we have to find our own reason for being... whether its for yourself, or your family , or any number of things... but to answer your question, in that sense... yeah, all the time, right now even... I'm not so self deluded to think myself as some pillar for others to lean on, or that my continued existence is contributing to any cause, just or not... I'm just a thing, only present to take up space and hope that someone might acknowledge me as something otherwise... so yeah, my continued existence is futile and ultimately pointless...<.<

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked